HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 9:44 PM

Everyone who watches the CFL knows that, eventually, a blown call will end up costing big time.

Who thought that it would be $1,000,000!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
Worst officiated game of the year so far - that crew was just brutal. So frustrating and makes it tough to enjoy the game.

Also - only 25k at the game? Maybe esquire has an answer?
Thursday night game vs. Friday night game. That's your answer. Hard for many to get home from work and then to the stadium in time for kickoff.

25,000 is about right....might be a 1000 or so no-shows, but remember there are usually a few thousand people milling around on the concourses at any one time. Remember it seats 32,500 and they are all individual seats...not like benches that people can spread out on to make the crowd seem larger than it actually is.

As for "blown call" it may have been a little ticky-tack, but

a) it was only like 20 feet or so from the play, not like it was on the other side of the field.

b) you can't push a player from behind...when will players learn this. Bomber player was pushed from behind. You can't do this!

In the end, the lady ended up receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars in (over 500,000?) in cash and prizes. Don't feel too bad for her...especially when the proper call was made as it states in the rule book.

Bomber offense left a lot to be desired at times mustering little if anything for nearly half the game. 2nd game in a row for them so that is concerning. Defense came to play though and despite Ray throwing for over 300 yards, they mostly kept the Argos in check with only 3 points in the second half. Full credit for the victory goes to them.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Thursday night game vs. Friday night game. That's your answer. Hard for many to get home from work and then to the stadium in time for kickoff.

25,000 is about right....might be a 1000 or so no-shows, but remember there are usually a few thousand people milling around on the concourses at any one time. Remember it seats 32,500 and they are all individual seats...not like benches that people can spread out on to make the crowd seem larger than it actually is.
Makes sense - plus I've heard it's a challenge to get to that stadium. Limited parking and only bus service? Are there any plans to build an LRT there?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
Makes sense - plus I've heard it's a challenge to get to that stadium. Limited parking and only bus service? Are there any plans to build an LRT there?
There are actually 5000 spots on the university campus for vehicles but it can take awhile to get out of there as there is essentially only 2 ways in and out..

There was a lot of bad publicity with the location and the first few games at the stadium with traffic nightmares being reported by the media on a regular basis. That seems to be mitigated with some improvements including the new bus terminal on the north side of the stadium which has freed up space on the road to the south of it. Things will improve even more when the BRT route completed from downtown to the U of M campus in a few years.

I'm not sure of the number of buses made available for game days but I imagine it approaches close to 100. There are several park and rides throughout the city so I don't think that is problem although people need to get used to the idea that transportation to and from the game may take over a half an hour each way...quite different for many compared to the old location.

Still, there is still some lingering negativity at the new location of IGF which may always be there for some.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
you can't push a player from behind...when will players learn this. Bomber player was pushed from behind. You can't do this!

In the end, the lady ended up receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars in (over 500,000?) in cash and prizes. Don't feel too bad for her...especially when the proper call was made as it states in the rule book.
I don't feel too bad for someone who got a ton of stuff that she wasn't entitled to. Nobody had to give her anything, it was all goodwill. Start with a year and a half of free season's tickets from the Bombers, free groceries for a year from Sobeys and a trip for her whole family to the Grey Cup from the league. Not too bad for something that she legitimately didn't win.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 2:41 AM

Wow BC now with 8 straight victories in the East!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 12:05 PM
Reason and Freedom

But what about Karen?!?!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
But what about Karen?!?!
Karen is doing just fine.
Free groceries for a year!??! Sign me up!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Wow BC now with 8 straight victories in the East!
West dominance over the east showed few signs of letting up, but then the Stamps went and lost to Montreal... figure that one out.

I hate to admit it, but that doesn't say much for the Bombers, who more or less got pushed around by Calgary the week before despite the fact their defensive corps was filled with backups.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
But what about Karen?!?!
Add on 500,000 Air Miles (apparently worth $50,000) and the prize that she actually did win, a $25,000 home theatre package and Karen truly cashes in, in today's "Everybody's a victim society"

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Add on 500,000 Air Miles (apparently worth $50,000) and the prize that she actually did win, a $25,000 home theatre package and Karen truly cashes in, in today's "Everybody's a victim society"
What's the big deal? She was pretty gracious about it, she never pouted and demanded those goodies... it sounds like a pretty nice warm and fuzzy story to me.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 11:09 PM

Winner of the largest 50/50 jackpot in CFL history to be announced on Tuesday
Catherine Griwkowsky Edmonton Journal July 15, 2017

The Edmonton Eskimos will announce the winner of the largest 50/50 jackpot in franchise – and league – history on Tuesday.

The jackpot of $435,919.50 was claimed on Saturday and the football team will be holding a cheque presentation to the holder of ticket number 235466C, which was part of a 10 for $20 purchase.

The same amount as the prize will be divided among the Edmonton Huskies Junior Football Club, Edmonton Wildcats Junior Football Club, University of Alberta Golden Bears football team, Football Alberta and the Eskimo Alumni Association’s amateur football initiatives.

The presentation will take place at the Eskimo Team Store at Commonwealth Stadium on Tuesday at a yet-to-be-announced time.

The Esks held the Canadian Football League record previously for 50/50 with a jackpot of $348,534 in 2014.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 5:36 PM

I know he's had his share of injuries but I always found it interesting that Lulay took to the role of a backup so easily and never explored being a starter elsewhere.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
I know he's had his share of injuries but I always found it interesting that Lulay took to the role of a backup so easily and never explored being a starter elsewhere.
Good point, you'd think a team like the Als could have used him these past few years.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Good point, you'd think a team like the Als could have used him these past few years.
He is making decent money and he lives in Washington State and commutes back and forth so I think for his family situation (3 young kids) I think he wanted to stay in BC and personally I see him taking the Dave Dickenson route and being a coach in the near future

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 1:05 PM

Christ the refereeing was atrocious again last night, it's beyond pathetic. The league needs to drop the part time pay per game system and hire guys full time at good salaries.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Christ the refereeing was atrocious again last night, it's beyond pathetic. The league needs to drop the part time pay per game system and hire guys full time at good salaries.
I was at the game. It was very loud. The fans were very disgruntled with the pass incomplete call (that was overturned and properly called a fumble or incomplete lateral which amounts to the same thing) that was blown dead and was potentially (a very good possibility in fact) a touchdown run back. It came very close to impacting the end result of the game.

If the RedBlacks had not stopped a third down gamble late in the fourth quarter, I am afraid of what the crowd's response would have been.

There have been too many controversial calls this year.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 3:14 PM

The funny thing about the fumble re-call is that the whistle was clearly blown before any redblack was even close to the ball so it could be argued that it should have been Montreal's ball. I was there too and I think the command centre made the turnover call to save the ref's from pure outrage.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 3:30 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
The funny thing about the fumble re-call is that the whistle was clearly blown before any redblack was even close to the ball so it could be argued that it should have been Montreal's ball. I was there too and I think the command centre made the turnover call to save the ref's from pure outrage.
But that's the problem with that play. The whistle was blown far too early. Whether Durant was making a passing motion or not, the ball clearly traveled backwards on the play, making it either a fumble or an incomplete lateral, which is still a live ball. While no Redblack player was that close to the ball at the whistle, the closest players to the ball were all Redblacks. The video review may have cleared up the possession question (Forward pass vs fumble) but the quick whistle definitely cost the Redblacks a touchdown.

My section of the stadium was really riled up over that series of events.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 4:53 PM

The issue concerning that call was that the Ref thought there was forward passing motion. In other words, the ball was moving forward and an Ottawa player knocked it backwards.

That was not the case. Their was what appeared to be a forward motion but in fact Durant was turned sideways and the arm motion was lateral to the line of scrimmage and the ball ended up being thrown backwards. That has to be considered an incomplete lateral and therefore live ball.

I did not hear the whistle because of the fans cheering but clearly the play was called dead because the several RedBlack players who chased the ball never bothered picking it up.

I guess strictly speaking it should have been Montreal ball since the QB was the last to touch it before the whistle was blown, but it would have been a travesty.

I hope that team of officials are spoken to about not blowing the whistle when there is any possibility of a call on the field being overturned as a fumble recovery. Let the play complete and then work it out.

Has the speed and complexity of the game become overwhelming for the officials? It just seems to be that many calls are being overturned. Even then, video review is still far from perfect. I recall the Argo game with a field goal being called wide by an official in the back of the end zone when the official under the goal post (for whatever reason) did not make the call. That was truly bizarre since the official under the goalpost was the one best to judge the field goal attempt especially when it is close.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada