HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Do you support the 0.5% increase to the Provincial Sales Tax in Metro Vancouver?
I support the 0.5% PST increase 141 78.33%
I do not 39 21.67%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 5:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
This is why I hate democracy sometimes.

People are stupid and never look at the future.
People used to say the HST was the future too.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 8:36 PM

This is relevant, regarding how P3's waste money:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle22012009/
Quote:
ADRIAN MORROW
The Globe and Mail
Published Tuesday, Dec. 09 2014, 3:24 PM EST
But most of these numbers pale compared to the billions the province could have saved by building infrastructure itself instead of farming it out.

Public-private partnerships, under the Alternative Financing and Procurement program, entail the government bringing in a private company to finance, build and, in some cases, maintain a piece of infrastructure. The private company assumes some of the risk of cost overruns, in exchange for making a profit.

These private partnerships are more expensive, Ms. Lysyk found, mostly because the private sector must pay about 14 times what the government does to get financing. They also cost more because the province must pay private companies a premium to get them to take on the project. Other costs – such as project management, architecture, legal and engineering services – were also generally higher for private companies.

The government claims private AFPs work because private companies are more efficient than the government. But Ms. Lysyk found the province actually has no hard evidence to support this claim.

So... nothing we didn't already know about the P3 process. If the P3 process is going to be used for more infrastructure, more waste will ensue.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 11:46 PM

I can't believe this referendum is going through. The Province is out of their mind. This isn't California, we don't need to put everything to a referendum. Though, with the Liberals these days referendums seem to be their shield to deflect blame for any potentially unpopular decision.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 7:24 PM

HERE IT IS:

Do you support a half percentage point (0.5%) increase to the Provincial Sales Tax in Metro Vancouver, dedicated to the Mayors' Transportation and Transit Plan, with independent audits and public reporting? (Yes/No)

https://twitter.com/jeffnagel/status...702080/photo/1

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
HERE IT IS:

Do you support a half percentage point (0.5%) increase to the Provincial Sales Tax in Metro Vancouver, dedicated to the Mayors' Transportation and Transit Plan, with independent audits and public reporting? (Yes/No)

https://twitter.com/jeffnagel/status...702080/photo/1[/I]
Geez...what was so hard about creating that?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 9:00 PM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
Geez...what was so hard about creating that?
It took, what 2 years to get there? Wow...Good thing is - it is a very simple question.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 9:02 PM
See ya down under, mates

Man I wish I could believe the same people that killed HST would vote for this.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 9:57 PM
Joshua B.

Already seeing the shit storm by people on my facebook

“I am not going to fund this bullshit. I don’t even take transit”
“Can’t they just increase fares?”
“Doesn’t effect me LOL”

Yes, no educational campaign will save us.

So I will continue to sit in my car on McBride and ponder the age old question “ugh I hate traffic and this stupid Patullo Bridge, can’t these idiots around me just take transit?”

This referendum will fail and set this region back 15 years.

People here (not on SPP) are ignorant and shouldn't be making decisions.

Last edited by logicbomb; Dec 11, 2014 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 10:17 PM

Ya votes on any kind of taxation get voted down and soon enough the whole system suffers (see: California).

But I have some hope here, since all of the organized groups (including business, labour and government) are all on the YES side.

Time might help, as it would have in the HST fiasco. Seems really hard to find somebody who voted against it today. Funny, that.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 10:18 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post

“Doesn’t effect me LOL”

So I will continue to sit in my car on McBride and ponder the age old question “ugh I hate traffic and this stupid Patullo Bridge, can’t these idiots around me just take transit?”

Yep. I hate that bashing transit is such a popular small talk topic too, because people constantly bring it up with me and I just get pissed off. The general driving public is so fucking ignorant.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 10:25 PM

Here is the website, I'm not sure if anything has changed to the improvement plan:

http://mayorscouncil.ca/transportation-investments/

I notice it includes 5 new WCE cars and a locomotive, and 5 more cars in future years. I thought the capacity in terms of # of trains was already maxed? Can they lease more rail time and space?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 11:00 PM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post

“Doesn’t effect me LOL”

Frankly, even if it by some miracle succeeds it will likely do nothing for congestion. About the only important project that would have some effect on congestion is the Broadway subway. Surrey tram is not going to do anything for congestion (this is just a glorified tram that if not grade separated and is the same thing as bus), nor will the so called 11 "rapid" bus lines (which as slight improvement to already existing bus lines). This is just another strategy to put more buses on the roads that will spend a lot of operational money for minimal results.

Furthermore, there is nothing in the plan that discourages driving. No congestion charges, road pricing, etc. We are saying there will be 1 million more people in the city in 30 years so let's just add some buses to fix the problem. Thats not going to work.

1) Surrey should not be allowed to build tram to Langley. That should be a SkyTrain line built in phases. If they want to build local tram lines - fine.

2) Pattullo bridge should be torn down and not replaced saving 1 billion dollars that could be used elsewhere. At the same time this would discourage driving and put more people on Port Mann so that we can pay that thing off.

3) Be bold and try to minimize operation cost by building gondola to SFU and testing something new at the same time.

4) Do b-lines only if you can objectively make them rapid. Putting a "b-line" bus on Willington is laughable. Who needs a B line between Richmond and Metrotown? (there is existing sky train to use). B Line between Langley and Maple Ridge??? Seriously there are people living there without a car that are going to take a bus? That is where you built a new bridge - encourage car use there to pay the freaking bridge off (which is losing you tons of money right now).

5) Sell the rights to build above sky train stations (keep land rights)

6) Extend Sky Train to PoCo from Coqutlam/Port Moody. Maybe start working on line down Hastings to eventually turn down south and connect Metrotown via BCIT

7) Create some form of congestion charge (bridges would be the easy choice) or distance based charging to discourage driving & encourage transit use. Do not rely on this as a primary source of funding (as it may dip over time).

8) Go with sales tax as a good/stable source of funding.

9) Integrate with ferry system to the island by working with Nanaimo/Victoria on passengers ferry from Downtown / Bridgeport respectively.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 11:13 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
Frankly, even if it by some miracle succeeds it will likely do nothing for congestion. About the only important project that would have some effect on congestion is the Broadway subway. Surrey tram is not going to do anything for congestion (this is just a glorified tram that if not grade separated and is the same thing as bus), nor will the so called 11 "rapid" bus lines (which as slight improvement to already existing bus lines). This is just another strategy to put more buses on the roads that will spend a lot of operational money for minimal results.

Furthermore, there is nothing in the plan that discourages driving. No congestion charges, road pricing, etc. We are saying there will be 1 million more people in the city in 30 years so let's just add some buses to fix the problem. Thats not going to work.

1) Surrey should not be allowed to build tram to Langley. That should be a SkyTrain line built in phases. If they want to build local tram lines - fine.

2) Pattullo bridge should be torn down and not replaced saving 1 billion dollars that could be used elsewhere. At the same time this would discourage driving and put more people on Port Mann so that we can pay that thing off.

3) Be bold and try to minimize operation cost by building gondola to SFU and testing something new at the same time.

4) Do b-lines only if you can objectively make them rapid. Putting a "b-line" bus on Willington is laughable. Who needs a B line between Richmond and Metrotown? (there is existing sky train to use). B Line between Langley and Maple Ridge??? Seriously there are people living there without a car that are going to take a bus? That is where you built a new bridge - encourage car use there to pay the freaking bridge off (which is losing you tons of money right now).

5) Sell the rights to build above sky train stations (keep land rights)

6) Extend Sky Train to PoCo from Coqutlam/Port Moody. Maybe start working on line down Hastings to eventually turn down south and connect Metrotown via BCIT

7) Create some form of congestion charge (bridges would be the easy choice) or distance based charging to discourage driving & encourage transit use. Do not rely on this as a primary source of funding (as it may dip over time).

8) Go with sales tax as a good/stable source of funding.

9) Integrate with ferry system to the island by working with Nanaimo/Victoria on passengers ferry from Downtown / Bridgeport respectively.
While I'm all for mode shift, your ideas seem quite extreme. I believe that ridership should be shifted from driving to transit by making transit attractive, not by making driving unattractive. Furthermore, buses do help a lot. Like it or not, not everybody has convenient access to SkyTrain. We need to be able to feed it with a great bus system, and increasing the amount of buses we have by 25% will do just that. Cities like Maple Ridge need to be connected to the rest of the region better, and a B-Line WILL increase ridership, speed and convenience.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
NO. The Pattullo Bridge is the only bridge west of Golden Ears that I can legally take my scooter on.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 11:27 PM
blog this

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Yep. I hate that bashing transit is such a popular small talk topic too, because people constantly bring it up with me and I just get pissed off. The general driving public is so fucking ignorant.
Oh are we? Count me in as no vote on this comment alone...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 11:33 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdude View Post
Oh are we? Count me in as no vote on this comment alone...
Sorry, it's legitimately comical to see how mad I get when people bash transit. It's certainly not everybody and I didn't mean to generalize. I've just had it happen a lot the past few days and I'm tired of having to justify taking transit every time I go somewhere. I apologize.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 12:01 AM

Looks like the very vocal Canadian Taxpayers Federation is adding more fuel to the no side of the vote. Hard for the public not to notice them and their anti-tax, anti-translink views, Jordan Bateman from the CTF is always being interviewed by every news outlet in the city.

Quote:
“No” campaign launched by taxpayers group against transit referendum
News 1130, December 11, 2014
The Canadian Taxpayers Federation has already launched a campaign meant to convince you to vote “no” in the referendum.

Jordan Bateman with the group says TransLink is an inefficient organization that can’t be trusted to spend any new money raised wisely.

“We’ll be spending more than $258 more a year in sales taxes. That is a huge amount of money and certainly will cost families a lot and we don’t think it’s fair.”
http://www.news1130.com/2014/12/11/n...it-referendum/

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 12:02 AM
Vancouver Moderator

People voting on this had better be educated that Translink takes care of the Major Road Network. Translink should be getting every media source to spread that.
Many drivers are ignorant about that, and say this referendum doesn't affect them cause they don't use Transit.

http://www.translink.ca/~/media/docu...ork%20map.ashx

Just about every commuting driver uses one of those roads, or one of their bridges:
Knight Street Bridge
Pattullo Bridge
Golden Ears Bridge
Westham Island Bridge

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
X2, this shouldn't be a referendum, it should be forced through while people go kicking and screaming. People see a tax and they flip their shit, they never see why it is needed.

One day the pettulo bridge completely fall apart and people will bitch about that as well.

This city is spoiled rotten and filled with entitled people who want want want, but refuse to pay pay pay.

WE want social housing
WE don't want a tax increase though.

We want better roads and transit
We don't want more taxes though, screw that.

We want better parks, better community centres, more welfare program spending, etc, but FUCK tax increases.

Bunch of fools. If you want it, you pay for it.

If you don't pay for it, you don't get it.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 12:12 AM

It angers/scares me that so many people just say "VOTE NO, CUT THE EXECUTIVE'S SALARIES, AND EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE". If that happened, most of the executives would probably just find new jobs, and since their positions would pay less, any applicants to fill their roles would typically be less experienced and educated. Also, it's like they fail to realize that public transportation isn't really a profitable business. With my (probably wrong) math, cutting salaries would only save between $2-3 million annually; to put that into perspective, it costs translink $1.6 million annually to operate the 364, a 30 minute frequency bus route.

So yeah, lets turn down the referendum, cut the executive's salaries, forget all the other projects, and we get approximately 3 new low-frequency bus routes!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure