HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
When I viewed your post the tabs didn't separate the various columns and I was really questioning the marketing genius who decided to call these "Comfort free" seats...
I lined up the columns properly, but then it just reverted back to the bunched up mess it started as when I posted.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Quote:
Up to 7 daily round-trip sailings.
so on some days it may have even fewer sailings. Meanwhile, bc ferries does like 9 or 10 sailings. Sigh, you gotta have a better schedule if you are charging at least double the price.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 7:44 AM

(duplicate post)

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 7:45 AM

Quote:
E-bikes are not permitted on board, unfortunately. We were hoping to be able to pop over and ride around Nanaimo.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeredheads View Post
so on some days it may have even fewer sailings. Meanwhile, bc ferries does like 9 or 10 sailings. Sigh, you gotta have a better schedule if you are charging at least double the price.
What does it matter if there are less crossings? BC Ferry Departure Bay crossings will be reduced anyways. If a time that works for you, that is all that matters. BTW, the email I received said $29.99 when you book online. Add getting actual wifi, unlike never getting wifi on BC Ferry, with speed and consciences of at least an hour quicker, with no need for public transit in Horseshoe Bay, it is a no brainer for anyone whose time is money.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 4:09 PM

The e-bike and e-wheelchair restriction is bizarre. Think of all of the other ferries in BC (small and large) that accept these devices!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
The e-bike and e-wheelchair restriction is bizarre. Think of all of the other ferries in BC (small and large) that accept these devices!
From what I saw on the website, the company says it is due to Transport Canada regulations. TC considers lithium batteries to be "dangerous goods" for transport and it is possible that they differentiate between passenger-only ferries and passenger/vehicle ferries in terms of safety requirements. I'm still trying to find more information on this.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 6:45 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
From what I saw on the website, the company says it is due to Transport Canada regulations. TC considers lithium batteries to be "dangerous goods" for transport and it is possible that they differentiate between passenger-only ferries and passenger/vehicle ferries in terms of safety requirements. I'm still trying to find more information on this.
I have a buddy in the battery business who was temporarily in the e-bike business. He was under the impression that ALL SHIPPING of e-bikes and their batteries is illegal by TC but a blind eye is turned.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinishaker View Post
What does it matter if there are less crossings? BC Ferry Departure Bay crossings will be reduced anyways. If a time that works for you, that is all that matters. BTW, the email I received said $29.99 when you book online. Add getting actual wifi, unlike never getting wifi on BC Ferry, with speed and consciences of at least an hour quicker, with no need for public transit in Horseshoe Bay, it is a no brainer for anyone whose time is money.
29.99 is the promotion price for first time sailing.

I think you overestimate the amount of people that will pay more to save time. In fact, the opposite is more likely, especially when it's at least double the price. It's a $100 for a family of 4 at the cheapest tier. While wifi is included, the Comfort tier does not offer the high speed wifi that is included in the more expensive tiers, so its usefulness is limited when you can't stream videos.

Tons of people drove a long detour to use Alex Fraser just to avoid the toll on Port Mann, despite the fact they were paying more in gas. Just saying.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 7:27 PM

Shipping lithium batteries definitely isn't illegal, just regulated.

I wonder if the operator is simply not allowing them so they don't have to deal with the regulations, at least initially. Also the fact their bike storage location is on an outer deck which likely wouldn't be covered by the fire suppression system might have something to do with it.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 7:34 PM

Quote:
I think you overestimate the amount of people that will pay more to save time.
The underwhelming traffic on the new, tolled Port Mann bridge coupled with the overloads on the Patullo and Alex Fraser bridges that occurred at the same time is a testament to how much inconvenience people are willing to put up with to save a buck or two.

I remember a BC Hydro clean energy promotion where they were giving away a free CFL bulb at Metrotown. There was an hour lineup. No thanks...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 7:38 PM

Quote:
29.99 is the promotion price for first time sailing.

I think you overestimate the amount of people that will pay more to save time. In fact, the opposite is more likely, especially when it's at least double the price. It's a $100 for a family of 4 at the cheapest tier. While wifi is included, the Comfort tier does not offer the high speed wifi that is included in the more expensive tiers, so its usefulness is limited when you can't stream videos.

Tons of people drove a long detour to use Alex Fraser just to avoid the toll on Port Mann, despite the fact they were paying more in gas. Just saying.
Families of 4 would be taking a car. We shall see how many people value the time and convenience of almost 2 hour time savings to get downtown. Having this service will also spur on more day trips to Vancouver for shopping/meeting friends/restaurants/doctors appointments, thereby increasing overall passages.

For your Alex Fraser comment, sitting in one’s own car is slightly different then being on a ferry staring at other passengers

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 8:37 PM

Let's not forget this is going to NANAIMO. What is the volume of foot traffic interested in that destination? It's low, I know that much.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 9:06 PM

https://twitter.com/johnrstreit

The worst part of the plan is the terminal location in Nanaimo,
in the middle of a vacant industrial area.
It may actually be at the same place as the HeliJet terminal.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...9_1s?entry=ttu

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 10:33 PM

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/hull...mo-launch-date

Aug 14 launch date.

However, they will start with a reduced service, only 4 sailings. I guess they'll operate just 1 vessel.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The worst part of the plan is the terminal location in Nanaimo,
in the middle of a vacant industrial area.
It may actually be at the same place as the HeliJet terminal.
They may very well trigger some development in the area if they last long enough. Not likely to happen, but possible.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 1:14 AM

Bc Ferries recommending that you reserve a walk on ticket for this week-end. If you have to reserve a walk on for BC Ferries, plus possible 6 sailing wait for drivers, there is a definitely a market for Hullo.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 2:43 AM

I have actually been considering giving this service a try and spend a weekend in Nanaimo, but hearing that the terminal location is a bit far from downtown is disappointing. That and the stories of downtown Nanaimo being overrun by drug users, making it not a very pleasant place to visit. Anyone been there recently to confirm?

Last edited by Klazu; Aug 1, 2023 at 3:00 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
......the stories of downtown Nanaimo being overrun by drug users, making it not a very pleasant place to visit. Anyone been there recently to confirm?
It's been like that for ages-I mean Nanaimo started life as a coal mining camp and grew from that; local RCMP call it 'Surrey-by-the-Sea'.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Bc Ferries recommending that you reserve a walk on ticket for this week-end. If you have to reserve a walk on for BC Ferries, plus possible 6 sailing wait for drivers, there is a definitely a market for Hullo.
BC Ferries is definitely trying to help Hullo as much as possible! However I suspect this walk on reservation is more for the Victoria routes, not Nanaimo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure