HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 10:58 AM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Hyatt Place from a 2018 rezoning for the Bridgeport Station area.

Don't know about Hyatt House.

https://vancouvermarket.ca/2018/01/1...-for-richmond/
Good description of both :

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/t...vs-hyatt-place

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 3:54 PM

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
So now the question is what will rotate with SIN and fly on the other 3 days? Looks like now the top contender is the additional frequency to HKG, which had just been extended all the way to the start of S24 season, 3x weekly, and departs at the same time as SIN at 12:15am.
As predicted, the extra frequency will be used on YVR-HKG, which is now planned to run 10x weekly through summer.

Additional changes:
YVR-BKK season now extended until end of April, last flight Apr 28, 3x weekly for April
YVR-KIX season now extended from May, first flight May 1, 3x weekly from May to mid-June
YVR-ICN will operate with 77W instead of 789

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 8:08 PM

Glad to see Asia finally having some good news, that market has been so depressed ever since Covid. Super happy about daily BKK for two months, that's a very good sign (never be over confident or cocky, anything can change at anytime, but it's a positive move at least). Utilizing the 777s is also great, also a shot of confidence they are deploying them here (and always nice seeing them amongst a sea of Dreamliners lol). The HKG increases are another unexpected surprise, I think YYZ is restricted because of Russian airspace, so a non-stop wouldn't work (please someone chime in here and correct this if it's wrong, I thought I heard that was the reason AC wasn't back on YYZ-HKG?). Having HKG and SYD at 10x weekly has a nice heft to it

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
I think YYZ is restricted because of Russian airspace, so a non-stop wouldn't work (please someone chime in here and correct this if it's wrong, I thought I heard that was the reason AC wasn't back on YYZ-HKG?).
That's correct.

YYZ-HKG isn't doable with a full load passengers and bags on the 77W or 789. It's easily ~300nm longer than the current DEL-YYZ run. The 77L could probably do it, but it's far from ideal, plus that plane is busy elsewhere.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=yyz-del...A&MS=wls&DU=nm

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 6:53 PM

Announcement re: new seasonal Westjet service to DTW.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanc...lights-westjet

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
Awesome, this would be a game changer!

The article sources from Nikkei Shimbun and I tracked down the original article at https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXZQ...01C23A0000000/. It is paywalled but if you hold an account you can read the full article, even with a free account (1 article per month). Note that sign-up is in Japanese.

However from my reading of it, it seems that priority is being given to the three American cities (Seattle, Portland and Las Vegas) over Vancouver, meaning we are the fourth option and potentially less important to Zipair than Portland and Las Vegas. Furthermore, only one of these cities is supposed to get a route in 2024, in line with the delivery of one new 787 aircraft (in general, one aircraft can make one round-trip per day to the West Coast).

They will get 2 more 787s (to expand the fleet from 8 to 10) by fiscal 2025, but they may be used to increase frequencies on existing routes instead of launching more new west coast routes.
Looks like they ended up picking YVR for their next route, starting March 2024 after they receive their 8th plane. The flight will initially be 3x weekly, and later increasing to daily. Scheduled and fare are still pending, but looks like it will have similar timing compared to existing JL flight.

Reservation will be open in early December.

All sources are currently in Japanese... should have an English source very soon...

Last edited by nname; Nov 8, 2023 at 5:52 AM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Looks like they ended up picking YVR for their next route, starting March 2024 after they receive their 8th plane. The flight will initially be 3x weekly, and later increasing to daily. Scheduled and fare are still pending, but looks like it will have similar timing compared to existing JL flight.

All sources are currently in Japanese... should have an English source very soon...
Will this affect JAL in any way? With ZIPAIR now flying to YVR, will JAL slowly decrease its frequency or be replaced with ZIPAIR ?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 7:10 AM
(daka_x)

Quote:

Holy cow this is for real!!!

Found this for now https://dsk.ne.jp/news/zipair_vancouver_202403.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakafi_81 View Post
Will this affect JAL in any way? With ZIPAIR now flying to YVR, will JAL slowly decrease its frequency or be replaced with ZIPAIR ?
AFAIK that hasn't happened in any of ZIPAIR's other markets (SJC is served by ZIPAIR only but was not previously a JAL destination; it is also still relatively close to SFO). Part of the reason I think is that ZIPAIR isn't really designed to be a through-Narita carrier as JAL is doing; it is clearly oriented at trips where Narita is the origin or destination. That may change eventually, but ZIPAIR is going to need to become a much bigger airline with more planes in order to do that.

As a sign of that we can see JAL and Westjet recently expanded their codeshare partnership, with WS codes now present on JAL flights beyond Tokyo in order to facilitate SEA markets. Furthermore, since ANA still serves YVR-HND (and recently upgraded the route to its current and superior base at HND Terminal 2) I don't think JAL is keen on simply letting them have the W, which they would if they actually scrapped mainline service for ULCC only.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 7:26 AM

This week's update from AC:
YVR-YXE increase to 4x daily
YVR-PDX increase to 4x daily
YVR-OGG service suspension from May

Adjustment for MIA/PVR/CUN, which will share a 7M8 from June to October
May: MIA 4, PVR 2, CUN 3 (will need 2 planes including AUS 3)
June/July: MIA 4, PVR 1, CUN 2 (1 plane)
Aug-Oct: MIA 2, PVR 2, CUN 3 (1 plane)

(Note before adjustment, it was MIA 4, PVR 2, CUN 1 using different planes)

So AC is having multiple schedule changes within a season, like Flair now?

Last edited by nname; Nov 10, 2023 at 7:47 AM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 8:02 AM

... to the professionals in the industry ...

Does anybody know if/when YVR >< MEL will be restored. It was so great to have Oceania more or less "sewn up." Also, having Fiji is great, too, as a destination and South Pacific transit point.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 10:54 AM

Quote:
This week's update from AC:
YVR-YXE increase to 4x daily
YVR-PDX increase to 4x daily
YVR-OGG service suspension from May

Adjustment for MIA/PVR/CUN, which will share a 7M8 from June to October
May: MIA 4, PVR 2, CUN 3 (will need 2 planes including AUS 3)
June/July: MIA 4, PVR 1, CUN 2 (1 plane)
Aug-Oct: MIA 2, PVR 2, CUN 3 (1 plane)

(Note before adjustment, it was MIA 4, PVR 2, CUN 1 using different planes)

So AC is having multiple schedule changes within a season, like Flair now?
Sorry, where are you getting this information on AC from? Could you please post a link to the source?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
Sorry, where are you getting this information on AC from? Could you please post a link to the source?
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...schedules.html

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 9:19 PM

thanks

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 11:21 AM

Surprisingly, I see that Christchurch, the third city of New Zealand, has non-stop flights to San Francisco, currently its only North American destination. I wonder (as a feeder to the NZ South Island), it would work from YVR. (Probably not a big enough market, but a lot of Kiwis from all over NZ live in Vancouver). Just being optimistic.

https://www.flightconnections.com/fl...ristchurch-chc

Old Posted Nov 12, 2023, 12:24 AM

Reposted from the Canada Airport thread:

I didn't realize the transborder preclearance hours at YVR had been increased, not sure how I missed that (I'm usually pretty on top of airport news lol). This makes so much sense, a very positive move! I was actually thinking to myself the other day that there's a lot of US flights leaving from the international gates at night now. It used to be a handful, but seems to keep growing. That red eye departure with a morning arrival on the eastern seaboard must really be popular, so many airlines have these especially Air Canada lately. I remember taking a US-bound flight and being in international departures felt so weird! Having worked at the airport for years, I am just so used to transborder being separate, so seeing a flight to Dallas next to a flight to Taipei was always odd. Moving it to 23:30 (or midnight, as stated on the US government site) allows all US departures to be pre-cleared, which I don't think has ever been the case. Not sure if the other 8 airports with preclearance have a lot of late night flights? The BC coast is really the only place where the distance is long enough and time zone wise to make red eyes work. From the central and east, the distances and time differences are too close, there's nowhere in North America that would make sense with a late night departure from YYZ eastward. Late night departures to Europe/Africa work well from these areas, but not transborder. The hours of each airport's preclearance are super unique to each station, timed I assume to take in if not all, then most US bound flights. Are there any US flights from either YUL or YYZ that don't get precleared? YVR might've been an anomaly with it's chunk of US flights that weren't precleared, I think most other airports preclear almost everything. Imagine that list of red eyes that nname posted all missing out on preclearance? Would be a big gap

I did a Westjet summer 2024 service update for the "secondary" airports (still procrastinating doing YYC because it's such a huge undertaking compared to the others). I used the same standard week in July (15-21) for each airport, it's a normal week right in the summer travel season). Routes and airlines sometimes have variation in frequency from week to week on the same route, but it's rare (meaning there's usually the same frequency on a route for the entire season, rather than changing frequency and days week to week). Here are the stats for all airports listed on Wikipedia as Focus Cities for WS (hardly a scientific source I know, but WS doesn't mention anywhere as focus cities, it only mentions YYC as a hub, AFAIK...):

Week of July 15-21
YVR - 476 flights, approx. 61,000 seats, and 32 destinations
YEG - 360 flights, approx. 43,000 seats, and 29 destinations
YYZ - 311 flights, approx. 50,000 seats, and 29 destinations
YWG - 166 flights, approx. 23,685 seats, 14 destinations

I know no one will be anywhere near WS in YYC (hence it's status as a fortress hub), but YVR has quite definitively overtaken YYZ, which would have been absurd to imagine anytime pre pandemic. YVR is higher in total # of flights, # of seats, and # of destinations (not to mention it is the only airport other than YYC to have service from mainline, Encore, and Link, as well as 787 service). So it qualifies more as a hub than YYZ and YEG by any metric. YEG and YYZ essentially both have arguments for 3rd place, one based on total flights, and one on total seats. But they are kind of in the same place as each other now in terms of importance. YYZ has a somewhat inflated destination list, since there have tons of once a week sun destinations, which boosts the # of destinations but isn't adding a ton of seats. Their domestic drop has just been so extreme, the frequencies are a fraction of what they used to be, not to mention they don't have Encore or Link. Meaning their domestic feed from places like YOW, YUL, and YHZ is a single jet flight a day, so meagre, it's almost not worth it. They used to have high frequencies to lots of Eastern locations, really feeding their network. If they didn't have all the sun packages to unique Caribbean islands, they'd be even worse.

I am not even sure why YWG is on the list, informal as it may be by Wikipedia editors. In terms of stats, they are way below both YEG and YYZ in # of flights, seats, and destinations. YWG is only 46% of YEG's destinations, and 47% of YYZ's seats. And less than half the amount of destinations as any of the others. This is absolutely not a random opinion or stirring the pot, this is a straight-up number analysis, not emotional. Overall it seems the definition of "focus city" is so vague, there really is no rules about who qualifies or what the methodology is. If anyone is aware of anything more than just opinions that qualifies a city as a focus city, let me know. I just did this exercise for fun to really measure empirically the reality at each airport

Old Posted Nov 12, 2023, 2:15 AM

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ great news

Thank you for this interesting post. I recall not so many years ago when only YYC and YYZ were Westjet "hubs," and YVR was listed as a 'focus city.' Look at us now regarding Westjet! Such growth is ... great!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2023, 3:42 PM

Not exactly YVR related, but a bunch of articles have come out about Delta's SEA hub, and they don't paint a nice picture. Here's one, but do a Google News search for "Delta Airlines Seattle" and lots will come up:

Delta’s Poorly Performing Seattle Hub

Some main points:
When you crunch the numbers with that methodology, the single least profitable hub of any major US airline is Delta’s hub in Seattle. Only 5% of the carrier’s routes out of the airport aren’t in the bottom 40% of the carrier’s network in terms of revenue per available seat mile.

Apparently the hub has been performing very poorly for years now, but it seems the situation is getting even worse. A year ago, 7% of routes weren’t in the bottom 40% of Delta’s routes, while now that number is down to just 5%.

Commentators/insiders saying Delta hasn't been able to sway Alaska pax away, or at least not to the degree they thought they could when they first established the SEA hub. Their international offering has been very up and down, and not really growing (that isn't all SEA's fault, Delta was building SEA for Asian flights, and Covid decimated that). Opinions from the various articles seem to suggest Delta will keep the hub, but just not nurture it with new routes, and see how long they will hold on. After American and Alaska teamed up, American dipped its toes into offering international from SEA, fed by Alaska. But so far they've only launched LHR, which is seasonal. They had planned to serve Bengaluru (so random, I know, even with the tech sector factored in). But it was announced just before Covid emerged, and so the service never actually started. They kept pushing back the start date and then in 2022 removed it altogether from all future schedules. That's where it's still at today. Apparently part of the agreement between Alaska and AA was that AA would launch international routes from SEA, but so far it's only generated a seasonal LHR service. If American did pursue a respectable international expansion, Delta would likely close their hub. It would make no sense for those two major airlines to compete on international routes from SEA, not nearly enough demand. And AA would get lots of Alaska feed, so it would make more sense than DL. But we shall see!

Even though not directly to do with YVR, staying updated on the situation at competing airports is important. Both SEA and YVR have had some good scores in terms of international airlines adding service over the last couple of years. But if DL's situation is as bad as these industry analysts are saying, it is a precarious situation for SEA's aspirations

Old Posted Nov 12, 2023, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Commentators/insiders saying Delta hasn't been able to sway Alaska pax away, or at least not to the degree they thought they could when they first established the SEA hub.
Thanks for the SEA/Delta update! I have missed seeing Alaska at YVR. I used to fly them all the time to SEA and LAX… especially miss the $50 airport upgrades! Hopefully we’ll see Alaska back meaningfully at some point.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
AC launches YVR - DXB today!

AC78 departs at 2100 C-FVNF B789
Apparently this route is seasonal winter only. What a terrible choice by AC. DXB is not a seasonal tourist route, it's the largest international connection airport on earth...

In retrospect it's such a shame AC took on this route over Emirates, at least Emirates would have taken a decent shot at it, even if they used a 772 with crummy business seats. But I guess AC has bigger fish to fry, like linking the huge Swedish diaspora in Montreal with Stockholm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
Announcement re: new seasonal Westjet service to DTW.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanc...lights-westjet
Well that's great news, talk about 0 to hero going from nada to daily. Same with Charlotte. At least we'll be seeing some transborder bumps this coming summer, even if AC seems to have completely forgotten about YVR long haul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakafi_81 View Post
I doubt it. It would be a huge step down in service for JAL with limited connection opportunities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure