HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 4:47 AM
Moran supreme

LED street lighting

Pictures in another thread got me a wondering as to how many municipalities in Canada are in the process of converting their street lights to LED fixtures. Some may have already completed their conversions, others may have started and some may not even be contemplating such a conversion.

Where I have lived for the past 38 years (Calgary), the plan is to have 80,000 of 90,000 street lights converted to LED by the end of 2018 - currently the number converted is past the 50% mark. 10,000 are projected not to be converted for various reasons but that may change as LED technologies evolve.

The above noted, is there a LED street light conversion program in place where you reside and if so, how far along is it? Or are there no plans at all?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 4:56 AM
Fake News

I've noticed a handful of LED streetlights flickering at a seizure inducing pace turning off Deerfoot northbound going towards the IKEA turnoff and then again going under Glenmore heading towards Burnco and the golf course. I wonder if these are faulty lights or what the problem might be. It's horrible though.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 4:57 AM

Langevine Bridge has been having seizures as well.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 5:20 AM
Moran supreme

I was really hoping this thread could be limited to talk about LED conversion statuses and that LED lighting issues or anti-LED talk could be had in another thread. Too much to hope for?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 5:38 AM

Tremendous things are possible thanks to this, just because it's energy-efficient.

For example, some guys dream about things like this here.

You're a so called prairie guy? Well, question always comes from natural environment, and light pollution seems something real, disturbing ecosystems. So I wouldn't bet local regulations will allow too many of these showy things, at least over here.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 6:50 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Tremendous things are possible thanks to this, just because it's energy-efficient.

For example, some guys dream about things like this here.

You're a so called prairie guy? Well, question always comes from natural environment, and light pollution seems something real, disturbing ecosystems. So I wouldn't bet local regulations will allow too many of these showy things, at least over here.
Where there's actual prairie you don't have these showy things, in the urban areas where the prairie is long gone, no big deal.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 7:07 AM

Yes, big big, nasty big deal. Somehow, life is connected to this mess, and all over the world. From some spot to another, then to another one spot, and so on and on. It's all connected. Even remote places depend on one another.

You know what? If we keep doing arrogant things like this here, guys like you, or maybe not you, but those who'll come after you will be in a situation like they merely have no more right to live.

So, when you're a mindful, normally balanced person, you just say the environment first, even when it should ruin one's fucking pride.
I think you get it, basically.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Yes, big big, nasty big deal. Somehow, life is connected to this mess, and all over the world. From some spot to another, then to another one spot, and so on and on. It's all connected. Even remote places depend on one another.

You know what? If we keep doing arrogant things like this here, guys like you, or maybe not you, but those who'll come after you will be in a situation like they merely have no more right to live.

So, when you're a mindful, normally balanced person, you just say the environment first, even when it should ruin one's fucking pride.
I think you get it, basically.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 5:37 AM
BANNED

This will likely be an all-encompassing LED programme/issues thread as there really is no need for multiple LED threads.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 8:31 AM

I think you're not a normally balanced individual. Speedog is talking about street lights. We have one area of one neighbourhood here in Airdrie that I know of using LED lights. I like it.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 1:21 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
I think you're not a normally balanced individual. Speedog is talking about street lights. We have one area of one neighbourhood here in Airdrie that I know of using LED lights. I like it.
Our community is currently undergoing conversion right now. As for 'the' response, ummm, wow?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 2:44 PM

Cobourg's been LED for a decade.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 2:55 PM

Montreal is. There was a big debate about the blueness of the new lights. Finally the city chose a warmer hue.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 3:08 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
Montreal is. There was a big debate about the blueness of the new lights. Finally the city chose a warmer hue.
Winnipeg is currently changing all of the streetlights to LED.

They choose the brightest white light available. It sucks. I wish they would have gone with a warmer white.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 4:48 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
So does Montreal have an amber LED fixture that gives their downtown streets that amber glow?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 5:36 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Do you mean Montreal has converted or is converting as this news article from 8 weeks ago indicates that the city is studying the switchover to LEDs?
Quote:
Montreal studying switch to LED street lights

Montreal is preparing to change more than 100,000 street lights for high-efficiency LEDs, but there are concerns about the effect this will have on people.

At the city's request, the Quebec public health department looked into the matter, paying particular attention to the colour spectrum used by the lights.
The white lights have a colour-temperature of 4,000 K which is on the cool, blue end of the spectrum as opposed to warm, or yellowish white lights.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Do you mean Montreal has converted or is converting as this news article from 8 weeks ago indicates that the city is studying the switchover to LEDs?
Yes, some of those were already installed and will be removed and replaced by t the warmer hue.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 3:10 PM
I am the law!

I haven't noticed street lights but the traffic signals are being upgraded in Toronto.

**edit:

Okay. 150 Lights so far.
http://www.torontohydro.com/sites/el...eetlights.aspx

Everyone is going to upgrade. It just makes too much sense. The bulbs are much more efficient and long lasting.

Alert**Off topic**Alert

Now I'm wondering if the leaseable areas in brand new office buildings are still lit by fluorescent tubes lighting. I would guess the costs of LED are an issue.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Feb 13, 2017 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I haven't noticed street lights but the traffic signals are being upgraded in Toronto.

**edit:

Okay. 150 Lights so far.
http://www.torontohydro.com/sites/el...eetlights.aspx

Everyone is going to upgrade. It just makes too much sense. The bulbs are much more efficient and long lasting.

Alert**Off topic**Alert

Now I'm wondering if the leaseable areas in brand new office buildings are still lit by fluorescent tubes lighting. I would guess the costs of LED are an issue.
I've seen them on a portion of King West. Toronto seems really far behind on this compared to some smaller cities. I'm really looking forward to LED being implemented in my neighborhood as currently I'm at a height where the streetlights are at the same level as my windows, and even with blinds I still get lots of orange light in my bedroom at night.

The City of London says they've converted about 9000 out of 35,000 streetlights so far. I believe they started the switchover in 2015.

My only beef with LEDs is that they sometimes can illuminate a street less than the HPS lights. I once almost hit a pedestrian that I was unable to see on a dimly-lit LED street that I had been used to being much better lit than when it had HPS.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 12:29 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I've seen them on a portion of King West. Toronto seems really far behind on this compared to some smaller cities. I'm really looking forward to LED being implemented in my neighborhood as currently I'm at a height where the streetlights are at the same level as my windows, and even with blinds I still get lots of orange light in my bedroom at night.
Not behind. I'm glad Toronto has waited for the technology to come to a point where they don't have to give up the classic acorn head light standard. The light standard outside your window should produce a bright white light.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada