HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 6:06 AM

Calgary can only wish or hope they'll get a few condo towers like the ones on the previous page!

Last edited by bob1954; Mar 19, 2009 at 6:55 AM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 11:53 AM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Are you kidding me Caltrane? I work in the industry and spend my entire day mired in the technical aspects of building while you spend you day oogling the latest lakefront picture of Toronto. Christ, you tried to paraphrased wikipedia earlier today and tried to pass the info off as you own. You are a glorified civic cheerleader.

And it's "dont worry about him"... get your idioms correct.
First of all, I work in advertising not construction so you "would seem" to have an obvious advantage over me when it comes to the technical aspects of a building. Yet, you mistook the precast I posted as CIP concrete, therefore you need to put it in shutdown mode. Also, if Maldive were here, he might have been able to give you the 411 on what this advertising manager does, and with whom in my spare time regarding real estate development in downtown Toronto.

btw..I don't know anyone, besides someone who hates their hometown perhaps, that isn't a glorified civic booster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1954 View Post
Calgary can only wish or hope they'll get a few condo towers like the ones on the previous page!

Calgary makes up for condo towers with office towers....so no worries.

Anyways....

Here is another fabulous shot of the old rail lands by Redroom Studios at www.urbantoronto.ca

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamano View Post
It's all pre-cast concrete, EIFS, or alunimum spandrel.
You sure? Looks like an exposed structural pillar to me.

Anyway exposed CIP is still seen in new buildings, at least here in Vancouver. It is often painted and membrane treated... but according to Caltraine "You can't get away with that shit in Toronto", so I suppose it must all be gold plated alucabond or something

And Caltrane, sounds like you have been spending your spare time with some major rollers and shakers in TO, you must be very important!!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 6:55 PM
gettin' rich!

We shouldn't be mucking this thread up with construction building methods. But to be honest, the only building in the GTA area that I've seen go up with exterior finished CIP concrete is the hideous Niagara Hilton addtion. And yes, the city planners would never have let any developer get away with building an outrage like that anywhere within the 416.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 7:12 PM

Not to jump in on the cast-in-place vs. precast concrete discussion - but my 2 cents is that personally, I quite like Success @ Pinnacle. Would I like it better without the "racing stripe"? Maybe. But I like it nevertheless, although I confess I am blissfully unaware of how the podium looks.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 8:16 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
And yes, the city planners would never have let any developer get away with building an outrage like that anywhere within the 416.
The city planners have little to say on design. What gets built is a result of the market.

Not sure why you think cast in place is an inferior finish either. Pre-cast is simply faster to erect in Toronto than a non-bearing cast in place facade.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 8:19 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamano View Post
The city planners have little to say on design. What gets built is a result of the market.

Not sure why you think cast in place is an inferior finish either. Pre-cast is simply faster to erect in Toronto than a non-bearing cast in place facade.
I thought buildings have to be approved by the city, before they can move forward. - Builders just can't go willy nilly....Also weren't the city planners putting in a place a design review board to refine and modify builders proposals to create an appealing urban asesthic??

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 10:46 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
I thought buildings have to be approved by the city, before they can move forward. - Builders just can't go willy nilly
But builders can go willy nilly providing there are within the zoning requirements and meet "minimum" building code requirements. I stress "minimum" eventhough Ontario standards are some of the highest around. Last I heard, Niagara Falls was in Ontario.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 11:32 PM

The DP drawings a city sees are often not detailed enough to be commenting on the presence of precast or CIP concrete, in fact if done properly pored concrete can be of similar quality to precast. A UDP is what the city would be creating to comment on the quality of the proposals brought before the city, however once again they are primarily concerned with the overall aesthetic of the building and not the precise materials spec'd. There is a UDP system set up on Vancouver and some of the shit that passes here is quite bland imo, you can only push a developer so far before a project becomes unprofitable.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 7:11 AM
Dérive-r

Some Woodward's pics by Vanboy2 at SSC and posted by jlousa in SSP:Local Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Don't normally do this but I really liked these pics so I'm posting them here, they were taken by Vanboy2 at SSC and here is the original source.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=519471&page=5

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 1:10 PM
BANNED

Wow.
Is that cast iron or aluminum being used to ornament Woodwards?
You don't see that too often.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 2:20 PM

Woodward's kicks ass. The ornamental metal elements running up the building (and if I recall correctly, they will have vines running up them?) is one of those kinds of bizarre ideas that I would no doubt be skeptical about upon unveiling, but quite clearly it's going to work splendidly. I think this building is my fave on this (11-30) list.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 5:21 PM

I'm sorry...but I find Woodward's to be slightly tacky...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 6:30 PM

CIP concrete is extremely rare and is only utilized on lower cost buildings, most buildings today pour concrete on site. Now freakin drop it!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 6:32 PM

Woodwards is a strange looking building, I don't really like it. I thought those pics were of Vancouver's "Flat Iron".

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 6:34 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
I'm sorry...but I find Woodward's to be slightly tacky...
really?

I personally love it and equally love how this condo stands out from the rest of the menage of grey/blue curtain wall.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
really?

I personally love it and equally love how this condo stands out from the rest of the menage of grey/blue curtain wall.
The contrast is certainly nice. Vancouver should have some Prodema wood and some stone cladding on future buildings, there is too much glass.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 6:38 PM
Round Head

looks best from a little bit of distance. Overall though, a first class project.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
CIP concrete is extremely rare and is only utilized on lower cost buildings, most buildings today pour concrete on site. Now freakin drop it!
CIP is poored concrete

Also I can see how some might not like woodwards for being too busy, but it certainly isn't tacky.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 10:21 PM

it's quite an elegant and unique project actually.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada