HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 8:46 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here are some pictures of the daylighting of the Sawmill River, part of the Shubenacadie canal system in Dartmouth, NS that was culverted sometime around the 70's. It will be a lot nicer to have a small river running through Dartmouth, and connecting up with the river and lock system. This area is also going to be a lot more built up in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
A lot of progress at Sawmill River. They have cranes on sight now to help lower in the concrete walls and boxes for the new channel.

20171015_105250 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20171015_105302 by Jonovision23, on Flickr
Another Halifax-area project is the streetscaping along Grafton and Argyle. This area could mostly be described as a nightlife district.

Grafton

Source

The Argyle side earlier today

Source

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 2:37 AM
菠蘿油

A few Montreal projects to look forward to...

Ste-Catherine Street – Underground infrastructure will be rebuilt and the street will be rearranged, with less parking and more space for pedestrians. The plan also calls for heated sidewalks.

http://www.realisonsmtl.ca/realisonsmtl

http://www.realisonsmtl.ca/realisonsmtl

Plaza St-Hubert – After underground infrastructure is rebuilt, wider sidewalks will be installed, along with new awnings that replace the original ones built in the 1980s. There will also be a new public square in front of the Bains St-Denis, an old bathhouse.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...le-ressemblera

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...le-ressemblera

^ The new awnings will be less steeply pitched and supported by columns along the street rather than next to the buildings. The current awnings block the views of the second storey windows.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 4:18 PM

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 5:45 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I like the "shared streetscape" model that was used for the Argyle/Grafton streetscaping project. There are some narrow vehicle lanes meant mostly for passenger drop-off or pickup and deliveries. Vehicle traffic is meant to move slowly but it is not banned completely. This trade-off makes perfect sense because this is a small area of a few blocks, not an artery that carries significant traffic. The vehicle access makes the pedestrian area more convenient and livelier.

On Granville Street in Halifax there is an older pedestrianized stretch that looks pretty but doesn't function very well and struggles to retain businesses. No vehicle traffic whatsoever is permitted, and it is next to a highway interchange so it has poor connectivity to its surroundings. The highway interchange is about to be torn down so there's some hope that the area will improve in the future.

In the long run I could see Halifax having a semi-pedestrianized centre like many European cities. There are already some good pedestrian zones that are disconnected, but it would not take a lot more work to connect them together.

It's also interesting how these days Halifax is getting a nice project like this every couple of years, whereas in the 90's almost nothing like this was ever successfully completed. The city is changing a lot, which is good because there are a lot of areas that have great potential but are still kind of dumpy due to years of neglect of the public realm.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 7:29 PM

Toronto takes big step forward with Rail Deck Park

Quote:
Toronto & East York community council adopted the official plan that calls for the current railway lands between Bathurst St. and Blue Jays Way to transformed into a sprawling raised green space that would redefine the city's downtown core.

Today's vote still needs to be endorsed by city council next month, but it's the pending dispute over ownership of the air rights in the area that's far more likely to pose a problem to the realization of the park.

Should the city take the next step and officially re-zone the area for Rail Deck Park, a competing proposal from a consortium of developers to build a series of condominiums and a smaller park space would no longer be tenable.

BlogTO

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 9:46 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 3:15 AM

That Edmonton project is really cool. I saw them build it last year, and, if I took any impression away from my visit, it's that Edmonton is trying very hard to rectify decades of turning its back on the river valley.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 4:57 PM

Inauguration this morning of a new public space build above the trenched Ville-Marie expressway.

Montreal takes steps to beautify space next to Champ-de-Mars Metro

Montrealers will be able to access a new public space next to Champ-de-Mars Metro station as of Monday morning — the area has been walled off for more than a year.

The square is opening temporarily, with a multicolour geometric design painted on a stretch of pavement.

As part of the temporary opening, the city is installing benches and additional street lighting in an effort to make the space both more welcoming and more secure.

"We can only rejoice that construction sites which begin also end," said Montreal Mayor Valérie Plante.

The area is a hotspot for tourists accessing Old Montreal from Champ-de-Mars Metro station.

The opening is only temporary because the site is currently part of an international landscape design competition which was announced last summer.

Once completed, the space will be called Place des Montréalaises in honour of notable Montreal women, like Jeanne Mance.

The ultimate goal is to create an attractive urban space out of the area cut by the Ville-Marie Expressway trench in the 1970s.

The budget for renovating the square is $39.9 million — a figure that balloons to $74.4 million with preliminary studies and site preparation work.

Pictures from this morning's inauguration:

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 5:05 PM
Look at me!

^All I notice when looking at this photo is the absolutely giant CHUM hospital. My God is it a behemoth.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainvan View Post
Toronto takes big step forward with Rail Deck Park

The latest cost estimate is $1.6billion. One hopes Toronto is up to the challenge, but one can't be blamed for having doubts ...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 6:29 PM

That's a hell of a price for such a small park. Wow.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
one dollar per blade of grass

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 7:42 PM
Look at me!

Still worth doing. Could become an icon in its own right. This is what Montreal is starting to do with the entrenched Ville-marie expressway.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Still worth doing. Could become an icon in its own right. This is what Montreal is starting to do with the entrenched Ville-marie expressway.
The covering of the section west of the Champ-de-Mars metro costed 68m $. Even if they do the same with the remaining part, it will cost at the max between 200 and 300 millions. But we already know that it will mostly be covered with the expansion of the Palais des congrès. There is no way that the city and the Quebec gov. would pay even 1 billion for such a project, let alone 1.6. I find that it's an insane amount of money. But maybe that's just me. Toronto does need a large park downtown and the city is rich, so I guess we'll see.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 12:07 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
It's the price cities pay to compete with other global cities. You either fund investments like this (and this is an investment in Toronto's future) or you fall behind the competition.

Last edited by isaidso; Nov 22, 2017 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 1:12 AM
I am the law!

But is it the best investment for the asking price? I think $1.6 billion funneled into street beautification will go a lot further when it comes to keeping up with the Jones'.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 1:22 AM

It's 20 acres, far larger than any of the Montreal decking projects. It'll be like dumping big trinity bellwoods park in the middle of downtown.

In terms of cost - it's actually still cheaper than buying property downtown still. Property in the area sells for $95-110 million an acre, this costs $82 million an acre to construct.

It's worth every damn penny.

In terms of streetscape improvements instead, it would buy you around 4 queens Quay revitalizations. A substantial amount of streetscape improvement, but it's not like the whole downtown could be redone.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 5:00 PM

Great news: Place Ville-Marie will have a completely revamped public square. The awful parking entrances at the end of McGill College will be replaced by a grand stair!

Ivanhoé Cambridge begins major work to the Place Ville Marie Esplanade
The $200 million investment will make the Esplanade one of Montreal’s landmark public gathering spaces

Initiating a new chapter in the “Projet Nouveau-Centre,” its plan for downtown Montreal, Ivanhoé Cambridge announces today an investment of $200 million to revitalize the Esplanade and renew the commercial offering at Place Ville Marie.

“Place Ville Marie is the heart of downtown Montréal,” said Bernard Poliquin, Ivanhoé Cambridge Senior Vice President, Office, Quebec. “The Esplanade will be one of Montreal’s major urban gathering locations. The Esplanade will be programmed with cultural and experiential activities rivalling those of the great international metropolises.”

To execute this historic project, Ivanhoé Cambridge has called upon Montreal firms Sid Lee Architecture and Menkès Shooner Dagenais Létourneux Architectes.

“Our primary goal is for this civic space to be a catalyst for downtown social activity,” said Jean Pelland, Architect and Senior Partner, Sid Lee Architecture. “Given the importance of this iconic space, we sought additional exposure to urban activity, making it more accessible and usable. Our major architectural interventions are in line with this desire for great openness.”

Eager to enhance Place Ville Marie within its historical context, the Ivanhoé Cambridge teams met with one of the original architects, Henry N. Cobb. Mr. Cobb stated: “The Esplanade revitalization has been thoughtfully conceived and brilliantly imagined. This work will greatly enhance Place Ville Marie’s contribution to the civic life of Montreal, fulfilling the promise of our original vision and thereby making me enormously happy.”

Projet Nouveau-Centre: an identity for Ivanhoé Cambridge’s plan for downtown Montreal
The revitalization of the Esplanade is a new milestone in Projet Nouveau-Centre, Ivanhoé Cambridge’s plan to invest $1 billion in downtown Montreal. With Place Ville Marie at the heart of the strategy, the Projet Nouveau-Centre aims to invest in Ivanhoé Cambridge’s flagship downtown properties and to enhance the urban experience in the heart of the city centre. All projects in the plan are now in full motion:

Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth (reopened in July, 2017)
Maison Manuvie (to be inaugurated on November 27, 2017)
Place Ville Marie (in progress from 2018 to 2019)
Montreal Eaton Centre (ongoing until 2020).

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 6:35 PM
Look at me!

Fantastic project for pvm's urban plaza. Much needed and appreciated. Downtown montreal continues its upward climb.

ALSO: I had the pleasure of exploring the revamped Queen Elizabeth hotel yesterday from top to very bottom and let me just tell you: superb. It's up there with the best of the best that I've seen in London Paris and Madrid. A job well done.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 9:21 PM

Now let's see what they have in store for the Eaton Center and the Complexe Les Ailes (which will be joined together).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada