HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Manhattan West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 1:37 PM
BANNED

Thanks, Skyscrapers of NY and Yankees Fan. This sounds promising!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 2:24 PM
Editor

I hope we can see thse two big boys rise together with 15 Penn Plaza. Sounds very optimistic...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 4:54 PM

Three towers instead of two just means everyone will get smaller.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 5:57 PM
DENNAB

^Not at all, there would just be more space involved. The article said, eventually there would be three towers.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Three towers instead of two just means everyone will get smaller.
that wouldnt make sense especially since theres no zoning involved.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 1:18 AM
BANNED

A 2m sf tower will be pretty tall.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 2:45 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
that wouldnt make sense especially since theres no zoning involved.
They said their could eventually be as many as three towers, but hopefully even if there are, there will still be a 1200 footer among them.

That doesn't mean these two buildings won't still be 1216 and 935 feet, at least I don't see why not.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 2:49 AM
Metal Up Your !

So are they building the two buildings in the render above, or are they going to build something different? I ask because they said they shelved previous proposals.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 3:14 AM
BANNED

I think that the design will change. Those towers don't appear on Brookfield's website.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
They said their could eventually be as many as three towers, but hopefully even if there are, there will still be a 1200 footer among them.

That doesn't mean these two buildings won't still be 1216 and 935 feet, at least I don't see why not.
thats what im trying to say, its not like Amanda Burden could have forced brooksfields hand and make them scale down the towers into 3, 600 ft towers. so there probably going to build the 2 towers and another tower of similar height.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 4:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/27/bu...ites.html?_r=1

Square Feet
Projects Shelved in the Downturn Spring Back to Life
By JULIE SATOW
April 26, 2011

The developer spent the last several years studying the engineering of a deck over the rail yards on the site, and says it has found a way to build it cheaper and quicker.

It will start construction later this year, with plans to deliver a two-million-square-foot office tower designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill on the northeast corner of the parcel by 2015.

There are plans to eventually construct as many as three towers. “We will start building the deck on spec but are confident that by the time we get around to building the tower, we will have found an anchor tenant,” said Ric Clark, the president and chief executive. While he declined to give asking rents for the tower, Brookfield has begun preliminary conversations with tenants and expects to be competitively priced with the Hudson Yards buildings the Related Companies is planning a few blocks west.

Been away for a few days, and I've missed a lot. This is VERY exciting news, and unexpected, but with Related getting underway with plans for a massive deck over the railyards, it shouldn't be surprising that Brookfield plans to get this started. The 2 msf tower will be the smaller of the two large towers. Brookfield also had plans for 1 or 2 smaller residential towers on the site as well, but I don't think much will come of that. I'm guessing the third tower would depend on how much space Brookfield will need for the largest tower (west of the main building).

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 4:06 PM
New Yorker for life

A look at the configuration of two (possibly 3) towers...

Smaller, third building is seen again here...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 4:47 PM

O wow watcha know there are 3 buildings there.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 8:01 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
thats what im trying to say, its not like Amanda Burden could have forced brooksfields hand and make them scale down the towers into 3, 600 ft towers. so there probably going to build the 2 towers and another tower of similar height.
I don't believe that Amanda could force the hand of brooksfields and I don't think that the plan will change in future. But, if for hypothesis, the plan will change, I think that the best solution is to build two towers of 2,5 msf each.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 9:14 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 9:26 PM

Quote:
they should tear that thing down and build their 3rd tower.

http://www.observer.com/files/full/4...op%20shark.jpg

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 10:44 PM
BANNED

That's the building which is the subject of the article. Brookfield will build something very tall above that base. I believe that there are 1.5m sf of air rights above that building.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 11:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
That's the building which is the subject of the article. Brookfield will build something very tall above that base. I believe that there are 1.5m sf of air rights above that building.
I think the total for the site would be about 3 msf (more overall). There was initial talk that the building could be demolished for a new structure, but the building has become popular for media. Still, it's a prime location sitting between the first phase of Related's railyard development, and Manhattan West, and is key to circulation between the two.

Overall zoning for that block of Hudson Yards...

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 1:52 AM
DENNAB

so basically, if I understand correctly, The towers will both be built how they are plus an extra 1.5msf building eventually.

How tall would a 1.5msf office building be? for example how many sf is the BOA tower? (I'm aware it's very wide and has huge floors but if it's a building of that size that's great)

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 3:45 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

BOA is 2.1 msf.

For a proper benchmark tower, think of 7WTC or Conde Nast. Both are roughly 1.6msf.

As far as I am aware, the south tower would be just over 3msf and the north tower would be just under 2msf. However, that does not include any other possible towers. As for where a 3rd office tower would go on the site, I suspect that it would go on the location of the midrise residential building that is currently on the site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive