HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 7:11 PM
I am a typical

Sudbury company awarded highway contract
tbnewswatch.com | September 3, 2010
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/Default.aspx?cid=108047

A Sudbury company has been awarded a $41.9 million contract to twin a six-kilometre stretch of highway between Thunder Bay and Nipigon.

The section of highway affected falls between Hodder Avenue and Highway 527, and is expected to create as many as 300 jobs during the lifespan of the project, expected to be completed in 2013.

The construction will also include the construction of a new interchange at Hodder Avenue and Copenhagen Road, a new entranceway to the Terry Fox Scenic Lookout and a new intersection at Highway 527 and Spruce River Road.

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/Default.aspx?cid=108047

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 5:56 AM

Anyone have an idea what can be done about the section through Sorrento, BC? Since the government is sticking with the current alignment, this seems like a real problem section to me. I can't see how this could be upgraded to freeway standards without expropriating a large amount of the main street of the town.

If it is only upgraded to 4 lanes as a city street it will retain the low 60 km/hr speed limit, which I think is really dangerous. I pass through there quite often: heavy speeding is typical for through traffic, and there is so much direct access from side streets that it scares the crap out of me sometimes with people turning onto the highway.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daguy View Post
Anyone have an idea what can be done about the section through Sorrento, BC? Since the government is sticking with the current alignment, this seems like a real problem section to me. I can't see how this could be upgraded to freeway standards without expropriating a large amount of the main street of the town.
An April, 1993 study determined that a ~5 km Sorrento bypass was the apparent favoured option. Different bypass concepts as well as conceptual interchange layouts were included.

Don't hold your breath, though, for that to happen anytime soon.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
An April, 1993 study determined that a ~5 km Sorrento bypass was the apparent favoured option. Different bypass concepts as well as conceptual interchange layouts were included.

Don't hold your breath, though, for that to happen anytime soon.
Oh don't worry I won't be. I drive through there from Salmon Arm to Kamloops every week or two, and it is just a constant annoyance of having to slow down. Everything that has been done or planned along this stretch of highway is substandard. The four laning project from Monte Creek to Pritchard as you probably know isn't being built as a divided highway. The project should be fully twinned like the Coq, but if cost is the concern then at least a median barrier should be installed to prevent head on collisions, and an interchange should be constructed at Pritchard.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Oh don't worry I won't be. I drive through there from Salmon Arm to Kamloops every week or two, and it is just a constant annoyance of having to slow down. Everything that has been done or planned along this stretch of highway is substandard. The four laning project from Monte Creek to Pritchard as you probably know isn't being built as a divided highway. The project should be fully twinned like the Coq, but if cost is the concern then at least a median barrier should be installed to prevent head on collisions, and an interchange should be constructed at Pritchard.
Is that just to satisfy tree huggers in Vancouver and Victoria?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 2:25 AM

Quote:
The four laning project from Monte Creek to Pritchard as you probably know isn't being built as a divided highway.
Funnily enough, over 2 years ago, funding was already in place for the twinning of Hwy 1 from Monte Creek to Pritchard to Hoffman's Bluff - Almost $103 million for 16.6 km as follows:

Quote:
Highway 1 – Monte Creek to Prichard

Funding Program: Building Canada Fund
Announcement: July 2008
Applicant: Province of British Columbia
Estimated Total Project Cost: $42,800,000
Anticipated Project Completion: TBD

The project consists of upgrading a 10.5 kilometre, 2-lane segment of the Trans-Canada Highway running through the Monte Creek to Pritchard area, 30 kilometres east of Kamloops. The upgrading to 4 lanes will bridge the gap between two existing 4-lane sections.

Highway 1 – Pritchard to Hoffman’s Bluff and Hoffman’s Bluff

Funding Program: Building Canada Fund
Announcement: July 25, 2008
Applicant: Province of British Columbia
Estimated Total Project Cost: $61,600,000

Anticipated Project Completion: 2013

Both projects involve realignment and widening from two to four lanes. In total 6.1 km of the Trans-Canada Highway will be improved through these two projects. There will also be two intersection upgrades at Willow Road and Chief Neskonlith Drive.
The problem seems to lie with the intransigent Neskonlith Indian Band, which (unlike most other BC Indian Bands) are apparently extremely difficult to deal with - probably worse to deal with than the Tsuu T’ina First Nation regarding the SW portion of Calgary's ring road.

And now that's especially the case with the discovery of the skeletal remains of a 2,800 year-old FN woman along the corridor back in March, 2009. To date, those matters have apparently still not been resolved:

Quote:
Tourism, Culture and Arts Minister Kevin Krueger is creating a committee of First Nations leaders to come up with solutions to protect heritage and burial sites. And the Kamloops-South Thompson MLA said he hopes that will lead to a resolution to a halt on construction at the Trans-Canada Highway east of Monte Creek where a burial site was found in March.

Remains of a First Nations woman, estimated at 2,800 years old, were discovered by investigating archeologists prior to roadwork on the proposed 10.5-kilometre extension of the highway east from Monte Creek toward Pritchard.

Since then all work has stopped on what was supposed to be a fast-tracked construction schedule as part of the national infrastructure program. But Krueger said talks are ongoing locally to find a solution. It may require purchasing additional private lands and rerouting the highway. "We're all anxious to do it right," he said. "It (highway construction) will take longer to do. "Its' a long time coming and we want to do it right."

On the provincial side, Krueger said civil servants are putting together a joint working group of First Nations and government representatives. The goal is to determine the type of archeological sites to be protected and also what provincial responsibilities for heritage will be transferred to First Nations.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Funnily enough, over 2 years ago, funding was already in place for the twinning of Hwy 1 from Monte Creek to Pritchard to Hoffman's Bluff - Almost $103 million for 16.6 km as follows:

The problem seems to lie with the intransigent Neskonlith Indian Band, which (unlike most other BC Indian Bands) are apparently extremely difficult to deal with - probably worse to deal with than the Tsuu T’ina First Nation regarding the SW portion of Calgary's ring road.

And now that's especially the case with the discovery of the skeletal remains of a 2,800 year-old FN woman along the corridor back in March, 2009. To date, those matters have apparently still not been resolved:
If that is the case, they should plan for a new alignment instead of twinning the existing route.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 12:44 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
The four laning between Hodder Avenue and ON-527 has officially begun. I'd post a new article but apparently, this isn't newsworthy here. It's a five kilometre project and will be complete in 3 years. (Which is MTO-speak for "it will be complete in 7 years")
Well at least the bridges will be ready when all the roadworkd will be done!

Presenting the Mackenzie River Twins ... 12 months from mucking to girder span.

Pictures: Mine

While not quite as impressive as Kicking Horse - or Little Pic - as it will have open side rails, it will still be a cool view!

Do something about your future.

Last edited by shreddog; Oct 28, 2010 at 12:55 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 11:51 PM

Trans Canada Hwy east of Calgary

Alberta Transportation has some planning studies to improve the Trans Canada Highway in the Calgary area.

The first is an Alignment and Area Network Study east of Calgary which involves a Strathmore Bypass, major realignment between Gliechen and Strathmore, and an eastern extension of Hwy 22X which provide an alternate eastern approach into Calgary. Here’s the initial stage with the Strathmore bypass and Hwy 24 realigned to follow Hwy 817 into Strathmore.

Along with other major studies in the Calgary area, the province is also looking at twinning Highway 560 between Calgary and Langdon. I included it in the Final Stage of the Trans Canada Highway realignment and Hwy 22X extension.

While these projects are ambitious and would improve the Trans Canada Highway east of Calgary, the problem of the Trans Canada Highway through Calgary still exists with 16 Avenue N. Hwy 201 (Stoney Trail) provides a free-flowing beltway around Calgary, however it is twice the distance and doesn’t provide the best alternative if TCH traffic needs to go into the city. Hwy 22X could provide a free-flowing alternative, however it enters Calgary at the furthest SE point and does not easily connect with TCH 1 west. Hwy 22X also only connects with the rest of Calgary via three routes; Deerfoot Trail (Hwy 2) and Macleod Trail and the SE portion of Stoney Trail (Hwy 201). Hwy 22X also is heavily reliant on the completion of the SW Ring Road, something that has been hung up for many years.

What I propose is that the realignment be slightly adjusted to link with Hwy 560, which becomes Glenmore Trial, Calgary’s major east-west connector. ROW exists to build interchanges along the signalized intersections and it easily connects with TCH 1 west via Sarcee Trail. I attached a map with some options on how this could happen.

The Trans Canada Highway could follow Glenmore & Sarcee Trails through Calgary as a freeflowing route that still provides easy access to mulitple points of the city via Stoney Trail (Hwy 201), Deefoot Trail (Hwy 2), Macleod Trail (direct access to downtown), Crowchild Trail, and Bow Trail. Dangerous Goods could use Stoney Trail and avoid the Glenmore Causeway.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 3:38 AM

Thumbs up

That 3rd proposal seems to make the most sense. A major entry point into both North and South Calgary.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 7:24 AM
I am a typical

They should do what was done in Winnipeg, and leave the existing Trans Canada/Highway 1 with that designation, but also run the Trans-Canada designation to the ring road to the north, as a by-pass, like Highway 100 does south of Winnipeg. Edmonton could do the same.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 7:37 AM

Banff Twinning

The four laning of the TCH west of Lake Louise to the new icefield parkway interchange (highway 93 junction) is mostly complete with all lanes in operation. The remaining segment to the BC border will be completed by 2013 (operational by 2012):

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/d...tes/index.aspx

I drove through Banff from BC just a few days ago, and the trip was noticeably faster than before, as the phase III east segment of the Kicking Horse Canyon project is mostly completed as well, with all 4 lanes open and only finishing work such as the wildlife overpass incomplete.

If you read the Banff website link in detail it notes that an 8 km segment west of the BC/Alberta will also be evaluated for future impact. Hopefully the bridging of the Yoho gap will happen sooner than I had expected.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 9:48 PM

I definitely like Option 3 for Calgary. The remnant section through Strathmore should be designated 1A, with 17th Avenue given a Secondary designation. Something like this:

22X/901 = a new Primary number, such as Highway 30

560/Glenmore Trail/south route = Highway 1 (TCH mainline, freeway entire length)

Existing 1 through Strathmore = Highway 1A (freeway to Strathmore, unchanged Strathmore to Gleichen unless traffic volumes warrant)

817/North-south main route = Highway 21

1A/17th Avenue SE = Highway 559

Existing Highway 24 remains unchanged

9 from around Keoma southward = Highway 797

NEW east-west connection from about Keoma to Stoney Trail NE turn = Highway 9 (as a freeway, providing a direct route from Calgary to areas northeast)

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
I definitely like Option 3 for Calgary. The remnant section through Strathmore should be designated 1A, with 17th Avenue given a Secondary designation. Something like this:

22X/901 = a new Primary number, such as Highway 30

560/Glenmore Trail/south route = Highway 1 (TCH mainline, freeway entire length)

Existing 1 through Strathmore = Highway 1A (freeway to Strathmore, unchanged Strathmore to Gleichen unless traffic volumes warrant)

817/North-south main route = Highway 21

1A/17th Avenue SE = Highway 559

Existing Highway 24 remains unchanged

9 from around Keoma southward = Highway 797

NEW east-west connection from about Keoma to Stoney Trail NE turn = Highway 9 (as a freeway, providing a direct route from Calgary to areas northeast)
I like you renumbering ideas, here's a few tweaks I would do:

- Hwy 24/23 from Hwy 1 to Coalhurst could all become Hwy 21
- Hwy 1A (17 Ave SE) could become a secondary road, however the point is coming where the boundaries of Calgary and Chestermere will touch so it's possible that the route could simply be downloaded to the municipalities and have no highway designation
- Hwy 22X could become Hwy 66, as the carriageway becomes Hwy 22 and Hwy 66 west of Calgary

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 6:29 PM

The first segment of twinning between Monte Creek and Pritchard is finally going to tender next week:

For Immediate Release
2011TRAN0047-000803
July 5, 2011
Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure

Archaeological work advances Monte Creek-Pritchard project

KAMLOOPS – Archaeological work required to advance the Highway 1 improvement project between Monte Creek and Pritchard is proceeding under the stewardship of Sexqéltkemc Te Secwepemc (Lakes Division), in partnership with the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure.

The ministry has been working closely with the Sexqéltkemc Te Secwepemc and engaging the local community to ensure the cultural and historical significance of the area is respected as highway improvements proceed. The improvements are critical to increasing safety and mobility along the Trans-Canada corridor.

This Trans-Canada Highway improvement project will be delivered in two phases. Phase 1 between Monte Creek interchange and east of Bostock Road will be tendered this week, while archaeological work continues on the site of Phase 2.

The Highway 1 Monte Creek to Pritchard project will expand Highway 1 from two lanes to four lanes between the Monte Creek Interchange and just east of Pritchard. It will enhance highway safety and capacity, and improve travel times for residents, tourists and commercial vehicles along this vital corridor.

The $42.8-million project is being jointly funded by British Columbia and Canada under the Building Canada Fund. The federal government is contributing up to $16.7M,with the province providing the remainder of the funding.

http://www.gov.bc.ca/tran/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 8:27 PM
Heart of the Continent

So, what's the deal with the project in Ontario by the Manitoba border (highway 17)? Did it ever start?

Also, what's the current status of the conversion of Route 185 into Autoroute 85?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 9:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post

Also, what's the current status of the conversion of Route 185 into Autoroute 85?
I was there this summer and front what I saw and what I have read.

Let's say you are driving from Quebec City to NB. From the point you turn onto the 85-185,

- the first five or ten 10 km are completed as an autoroute

- then there is a 40-km section between St-Antonin and St-Louis-du-Ha! Ha! where nothing has been done (but the order in council or whatever to build it was passed in 2011 - so should get started soon)

- then the next 50 km or so to the NB border is either completed as an autoroute or under construction at the moment

Still looking at 2017 at the earliest for it to be completed for the whole stretch.

NB will also have a bit of work to do as there are a couple of km of the TCH 2 leading to the border which are still not four divided lanes.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 9:16 PM
Heart of the Continent

I would expect that New Brunswick would finish their section to meet up with the Quebec section, if it is indeed under construction, which I have read and you have confirmed.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 4:24 PM
The New Republic

How far off till one can drive on 4 lane, controlled access, divided highway all the way from Halifax to Detroit? I'm assuming there are tiny bits left to build between northern New Brunswick and Riviere du Loup and that's the last bit?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 4:31 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
So, what's the deal with the project in Ontario by the Manitoba border (highway 17)? Did it ever start?
Last I drove through there was mid-August and there were no signs of anything going on whatsoever. With the short construction season in that area I doubt much started up in 2011, but I could be wrong.

I'm still not sure if MB has stepped up and decided/funded the twinning from Falcon to the border; seems silly to do the Ontario section if that is left as a bottleneck.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada