HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 4:18 AM

Im fairly new to posting, I lurked here for a while, yall lurkers should come out.

There should be an introduction thread for these new people or something

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 8:52 AM

the devil is in the details.. no less true than here.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 8:27 PM

Actually I don't like the Alexan.

Maybe detailed renderings will improve my initial impression, but my initial impression having read the staff report recommendation and looked at the renderings, even if they are copied for elevation purposes, is that it doesn't strike me as anything more than a mediocre building.

Sorry if my initial opinion is off based but I'm allowed to have it without being ridiculed for my opposition. Instead, tell me why I should have hope that this will be a solid, quality building.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 8:33 PM

Maybe detailed renderings will improve my initial impression, but my initial impression having read the staff report recommendation and looked at the renderings, even if they are copied for elevation purposes, is that it doesn't strike me as anything more than a mediocre building.

Sorry if my initial opinion is off based but I'm allowed to have it without being ridiculed for my opposition. Instead, tell me why I should have hope that this will be a solid, quality building.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrG View Post
I love how people on this board jump all over some crappy xeroxed elevations, as if these were the final arbiter of how the buildng design is to be.

Sheesh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougall5505 View Post
I remember everyone was hating on the Alexan also but other than the above-ground parking its turning out relatively nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkealoha View Post
Or how everyone hated the Ladd and now that it's going up, not so bad...
My thanks to all three of you - - there is often too much rabid negativity around here for my tastes.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 11:21 PM
A before E

actually I still hate the Ladd.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post

Sorry if my initial opinion is off based but I'm allowed to have it without being ridiculed for my opposition.
You also posted your opinion on a public forum, open for comment. You are certainly allowed to have whatever opinion you have, but don't say you are being "ridiculed" when others don't agree with your immediate opposition based on what is essentially minimal info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Instead, tell me why I should have hope that this will be a solid, quality building.
Because you are pre-judging it based on a COP Design Review staff report (whoop-de-doo) and some 8.5 by 11 copies. Rather than considering that it is an ongoing effort by an architecture firm that has a track record of doing "solid, quality buildings".

The variable in whether it will be an excellent bit of finished work, is really the client, here. As it usually is.

Most architectural firms with a great budget and some design freedom can come up with a nice design. The client dictates both of those things, often with the financier looking over thier shoulder counting pennies. In this case, it's Prometheus, which doesn't have the track record of doing this size work in Portland. They also have a VERY stringent "bean counter/ design involvement" approach.

I suspect I won't cause you to reconsider your thought process on judgement of this or any other proposal, but that's fine.

Cheers.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 5:31 PM

Does anybody have any updates on Prometheus' progress?

I think they own block 42 which is undergoing a design review in the next month.....

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 7:03 PM

[QUOTE=pdxcrow;3625847I think they own block 42 which is undergoing a design review in the next month.....[/QUOTE]

see http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=152887
SoWa Block 42 l x feet l 25 floors l Proposal thread

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 9:04 AM

Block 42 is now up on GBD's website. Looks better in the images than in the drawings... however SoWa really needs more architectural diversity. I'm actually really waiting for some of AMAA's buildings to go up in the district since they tend to be mostly flat and somewhat boring. They should provide a nice context from which these sleek glossy towers can rise.

http://www.gbdarchitects.com/

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 5:26 PM

yep, definitely not very interesting. GBD did the Meriwether too, right, so this design isn't much of a surprise. Let's hope it's not over-clad with a sea of aluminum window framing like the Meriwether. Let's hope what appears white in the renderings will actually be white or light colored.

I agree we need more architectural diversity. These condos aren't selling and soon there will be a glut of new rentals on the market. Why are they building another identical block project? In order for shops, restaurants and retail to survive in the area we need more daytime foot traffic. We need office-type space in or close to the area. How about more AFFORDABLE live/work space for creative people to bring some life, personality and diversity to the area? How shortsighted are these developers? Let's hope the affordable housing element in sowa hasn't been shelved indefinitely too now.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 1:19 AM

i can't find it now, but i'm sure i saw a link here just recently to project info about block 42 on the gerding-edlen web site. i just checked the thread for block 42 - nothing. here also, nothing. was i dreaming? anyway, there's nothing even on the gerding-edlen site now. does anyone else remember this? or was i hallucinating?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 2:56 AM

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 3:18 AM

no, no, these were full-color perspectives, including one showing it with the other towers in the bkg. i must be losing it...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 3:22 AM

Sorry....I tried...... Btw, here is/are the "site/pics" you are looking for:

http://www.gbdarchitects.com/

Last edited by PacificNW; Jul 31, 2008 at 3:35 AM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 5:10 AM

oh, DUH, of course! i was looking at their main site. cool. thanks.

i think from some angles i kind of like it. also, it's in that row of 31-story buildings, but it's only 25 stories. 'course, who knows if it'll ever get built.

ok, i 'shopped their flash:

i like the base on this one, because it's not a side car, it, i guess like that atwater, kind of tumbles down from the tower (or maybe the other way around). i especially like that evening image.

Last edited by bvpcvm; Jul 31, 2008 at 5:25 AM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 8:12 AM
A before E

I like the lower white portion more than I like the tower. But then again, not much about SoWa has really got me excited.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 4:11 PM
Well designed mixed use

No? How about this?

http://14parcels.com/

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 4:26 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX City-State View Post
No? How about this?

http://14parcels.com/
haha, well that is very cool and a very bad idea. Actually it is more cool than bad, and I only say bad because during my second year in the architecture program at PSU we had to design a portland block that was subdivided into 16 lots with a common space running down the middle. There were 15 actual buildings due to there being 15 students in the class, we each had a craftsperson and had to design a work/live space for them which turned into one of the biggest messes I have ever worked on with ideas and egos clashing badly. So whenever I see a project like it, I first think, that's a bad idea, but actually I still think it is cool to see, especially when it comes out right...which isnt often.

oh weird, I sort of drive past that area every time I take the Ross Island Bridge, I had no idea there was anything really over in that area. So is this actually going to happen? Oh and to answer you question, yes this is much cooler than anything going on at the SoWa, that stuff all seems so sterile with the exception of the storm water runoffs.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 5:11 PM

No offense, but assuming this is going to be a mess because of your experience in an undergrad studio at Portland State seems to be a leap.

14 parcels + 14 designers is very different than 14 parcels + 14 undergraduate design students.

Looks like a promising project to me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland