HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Sears in Dieppe was built before the mall and was always owned by Sears (and technically not part of the mall) but someone on here said a few months ago that CF purchased the property not long ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf26 View Post
Indeed. I checked it out on the SNB website (PID search). It was sold in 2015 for $17,500,000.

Sears did indeed sell the property to Cadillac Fairview in 2015 as part of trying to keep there heads above water. They also signed a lease agreement as one would think with CF Champlain to stay put. But Yes I do agree with Patapouf26 CF Champlain could potentially technically void the lease, and Lease out to another tenant/tenants. But it does depend on a few factors including the wording of any contracts potentially signed.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

If CF terminated the lease before it's expiry date, I'm sure there would be a clause in there where CF would have to pay Sears a penalty fee of some kind, probably substantial.

If CF is conducting behind the scenes negotiations with HBC, they might come to a gentleman's agreement whereby CF guarantees the old Sears space to HBC, and HBC promises to come to Champlain Place, but the agreement only comes into force once Sears finally expires for good. This way CF would avoid any penalties for voiding their lease agreement with Sears.

There are many ways this could be playing out in the background.........

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

If CF terminated the lease before it's expiry date, I'm sure there would be a clause in there where CF would have to pay Sears a penalty fee of some kind, probably substantial.

If CF is conducting behind the scenes negotiations with HBC, they might come to a gentleman's agreement whereby CF guarantees the old Sears space to HBC, and HBC promises to come to Champlain Place, but the agreement only comes into force once Sears finally expires for good. This way CF would avoid any penalties for voiding their lease agreement with Sears.

There are many ways this could be playing out in the background.........
Everyone keeps trying to fit HBC is the (sooner rather then later) vacant Sears location but would HBC be willing to take up smaller floor space then what they used to have at Highfield in order to come back to Moncton.

If not can the Sears building be expanded so the Sears stores east side wall matches up with the malls east side wall, and the west side wall stretch out to the sidewalk that goes to there Pick up point doors. Then that would be probably as close as they could get to there original square footage.

(keeping in mind this is a single story floor plan while previous store plan had 2 levels so no need for space to be taken up by escalators, elevators, and equipment, and they will probably not have there Diner styled restaurant although in this space they could have doors from in the store, and also from outside as well)

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 6:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Status of U-Haul (former Canadian Tire) on Mountain Road - renovations underway

Courtesy of Flickr, now that Photobucket has completely bollocks their service......

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 2:42 AM
Throbbing Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Everyone keeps trying to fit HBC is the (sooner rather then later) vacant Sears location but would HBC be willing to take up smaller floor space then what they used to have at Highfield in order to come back to Moncton.

If not can the Sears building be expanded so the Sears stores east side wall matches up with the malls east side wall, and the west side wall stretch out to the sidewalk that goes to there Pick up point doors. Then that would be probably as close as they could get to there original square footage.

(keeping in mind this is a single story floor plan while previous store plan had 2 levels so no need for space to be taken up by escalators, elevators, and equipment, and they will probably not have there Diner styled restaurant although in this space they could have doors from in the store, and also from outside as well)
The Sears location at Champlain does have a very tall ceiling: they could add a second level for HBC.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumater View Post
The Sears location at Champlain does have a very tall ceiling: they could add a second level for HBC.
I could see a 2 level storage like the one for Walmart Since sears is as tall as the Walmart but it's not really tall enough for 2 level retail IMO. But I might be wrong.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 5:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Both Body Shop and Pandora are currently renovating at CF Champlain. Pandora is setting up temporary digs in the old Danier Leather location.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 5:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Mastermind Toys, current status:

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 5:57 PM

Does anyone know what they are doing where Global Gym was in with Salvation Army/Dollarama is?
Went by there last week & they were working inside, gutting the place..

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 5:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Champlain Place News:

Saje Natural Wellness - now open (photo- Retail Talk & Share)

Body Shop - reopened following renovations (photo - Retail Talk & Share)

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 12:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, the Cabelas/Bass Pro Shop merger has been approved by US federal regulators.

BPS has promised to keep the Cabelas brand. It will be interesting to see what they do in the few markets where the two stores overlap (like in Moncton). There are very few locations (even in the US) where both stores coexist in the same community........

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 12:27 PM

Yeah I'm watching with bated breath. Moncton is the smallest market where the two stores exist. Will they keep both? I'm a frequent customer of both stores and always ask the staff if they've heard anything. So far, they all say that they have not.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 1:06 PM

Quote:
So, the Cabelas/Bass Pro Shop merger has been approved by US federal regulators.

BPS has promised to keep the Cabelas brand. It will be interesting to see what they do in the few markets where the two stores overlap (like in Moncton). There are very few locations (even in the US) where both stores coexist in the same community........
They may be able to operate under the two separate brands.. Some people are very loyal to their brands in question. But the question is will BPS see that.

On another note I have seen that Danier Leather is coming back from the brink to look at a Canada wide expansion. Could this mean that they might be coming back to CF Champlain?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 1:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
On another note I have seen that Danier Leather is coming back from the brink to look at a Canada wide expansion. Could this mean that they might be coming back to CF Champlain?
I definitely think Danier could return to CF Champlain. The former Danier Leather had two stores in greater Moncton and they did reasonably well. For the time being though, it seems like they are attempting to rebuild the brand in the country's major cities therefore it might still be a few years before they could return to metro.........

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 7:38 PM

BPS could potentially see the brand loyalty for Cabela, and for BPS it's more of will they see it as a sign to keep both open, merge the 2 together, or just get rid of Cabela's all together.

It's good news for Daniers that they are seemingly doing well but sad for GMA that we might not see another store open before a few years time if they do open one at all.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 4:49 AM

It was announced on Friday July 8th that more Sears and Kmarts in the states will be closing. I wonder how this will effect the Canada stores or when they may start closing some in Canada.

http://www.statesman.com/news/nation...3G2R1EgLMzCiN/

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micks5477 View Post
It was announced on Friday July 8th that more Sears and Kmarts in the states will be closing. I wonder how this will effect the Canada stores or when they may start closing some in Canada.

http://www.statesman.com/news/nation...3G2R1EgLMzCiN/
They already have closed locations in Ontario, and I think Quebec as well.
But Canada, and US Sears are different entities. They had also closed pick up stations that where not on par with how much Sears wants them to sell.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 4:03 PM

Sears Canada owes money to the province of New Brunswick. Reason we knows this is because they listed the province of New Brunswick as a creditor they need to be protected from. To bad they sold there properties, and leased them from the owners The province could have seized the properties, to cover at least some of the moneys owed. I don't think Sears will be allowed to continue much longer. New Brunswick is just one of over 19,000 creditors they asked for protection from, and are asking for an extension to October 4th.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 4:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Yes, it would likely be kinder if Sears had just closed their Regent & Champlain locations as well, so that customers here would be spared their agonal death throws. It's time for CF Champlain to move on and bring in HBC.......

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 5:06 PM

Quote:

Yes, it would likely be kinder if Sears had just closed their Regent & Champlain locations as well, so that customers here would be spared their agonal death throws. It's time for CF Champlain to move on and bring in HBC.......
I agree with you on that I think sears in Canada and the US is slowly dying a slow death. And HBC would be a great asset to the mall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces