HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

The V Building in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Birmingham Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 9:04 AM

BIRMINGHAM, UK | V Tower (51 Storeys - 500ft+)

Name: V-Tower
Price: £150m
Architect: Eric Kuhne
Use: Mixed, Residential/Leisure
Scheme: Arena Central
Construction: 2007
Completion: 2010
Floors: 51
Height: TBC
Ammenties: Sky Lobby, Observation Deck, Public Rooftop Restaurant, 3 Storey Public Plaza

The Vision: Dandara brings a towering identity to Birmingham's skyline: The V Building. Towers are part of the composition of all great cities, and Birmingham has designated Arena Square as a place for such a towering signature icon. Combing both legacy and prophesy, The V Building will draw from the great architecture of Victoria Square's heritage and add a new architectural statement as a prophesy for her future. Architecture can not forsake the quality of a City's streets, and The V Building.

Skybar & Observatory: The skyline of a city belongs to all of her people, and The V Building creates a mysterious vantage point to view Birmingham as no other building has ever done. Sweeping vistas of City Centre and Countryside that change from honey coloured stone and rolling green landscapes to constellations of lights at night: these are the living murals of our lives... and all will be open to those who visit our Sky Bar and Observatory. Once the providence of gods and designers, now the platform for one and all, The V Building will showcase Birmingham as never before.

Engaging City Life: The floor of a city is where her life is played out. Engaging the historic Alpha Tower, The V Building creates a new civic plaza that will breathe life into the floor of a city both day and night. Light shafts sparkle from the pavement, light wands engraved with the richness of Midland's Literature and Letters frame the ground. From Arena Square to Victoria Square: fountains, lighting, furnishing, and patterned pavement treat this great civic space as one of Birmingham's great civic parlours... hosting the gathering of her citizens, residents and denizens day and night... redeeming the street.

The V Building:
Lattice fabric faÇades, luminescent shards, lighthouse quality skyline, civic art porte cochere, skygardens and sky bars, observatories, and lobbies of mystique and intrigue... these are the architectural elements that lift The V Building. Here architecture engages the imagination and hosts the romance of living in a great British City. The residents of the City's Centre are her guardians and hosts. Here restaurants, spa, bars, library, and reception rooms will welcome the best and brightest into the heart of Birmingham.We build tall. We build sound. We build all magnificent and proud.

Signature for Birmingham: Residents of any city own two things: its skyline and its ground plane. The first in a silhouette drawn with distinction... the second in the spirited life day and night that captures the ethos of her grace. The V Building slices the sky with a scissors sculptural roof that frames the Sky Bar and Observatory: a place where everyone may gather to look out upon this fair City. Glowing at night as a beacon for the Midlands, blades of light meet luminescent top as a signature of the next generation of 21st century architecture for Birmingham.

Cosmopolitan Sophistication: Birmingham is a City whose strengths come from the diversity of her citizens. The V Building will become a welcome hall for the variety of people who have made the Midlands their home, and Birmingham their identity. Cities at night, Cities of Light, Cities as the Marketplaces of Ideas: café society comes to Birmingham with a vengeance, and The V Building's entry rooms will become the stage for the excitement and intrigue, comfort and mythology of a city rediscovering herself.

Images

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 12:14 PM

That looks pretty damn good. I wonder if all those horizontal lines will be made with curtain rods like on the NY Times building.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 1:17 PM
RePpiN GR sTreeTz !

thats the shortest damn 500 footer I've ever seen!

-FerrariEnzo is the coolest forumer ever.

[>>]-Grand Rapids Boom Rundown-[<<]

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 1:30 PM
Everywhere all at once

That's HOT!
Will it be the new tallest?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 3:52 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Quite a nice tower, I like it.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 4:00 PM
Tribune in all her glory.

Amazing! I love it.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 6:01 PM

I entered this thread expecting to read about a building in Alabama. LOL.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 6:37 PM

thats a fine looking building.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 6:43 PM
Member since 2001

Great looking design!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 10:47 PM

Chitown I did the same thing, haha. I really like that tower though!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 11:57 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus-Fruit View Post

HOLD UP FOR A SEC.....

can I just discuss this model for a sec? I made an observation after consulting Google Earth to see this building's site, and as you know from the above info, on the site of the plaza located to the right of V Tower in this model, the Alpha Tower currently stands. In the other pics posted, you can see the Alpha Tower is still there. So what's with this model?

Here is a link to Alpha Tower's emporis page:

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=...-unitedkingdom

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 11:59 PM
Run with Love

thats hot
"Dazzled by the needles of light stitching the water, I turned to watch him watch them. I noticed his eyelashes were reflected in his eyes, like awning in windowpanes. As I tried to make sense of that reflection, I found I could not look away. His irises were brown, clouding into orange with brighter flecks around his pupils. Then it became as important not to look as to look, I feared I would be lost in rush of bronze motes."

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 3:21 PM

Good point. The Alpha tower will remain its just blocks certain views of the building which was why it was removed from the model at MIPIM.

Its a squat 500ft all right. Its very wide though which is the reason. The height is still unknown but it will become the cities tallest when construction commences later this year and will surpass the bt tower at 152m

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus-Fruit View Post
Good point. The Alpha tower will remain its just blocks certain views of the building which was why it was removed from the model at MIPIM.

Its a squat 500ft all right. Its very wide though which is the reason. The height is still unknown but it will become the cities tallest when construction commences later this year and will surpass the bt tower at 152m
Tallest in B-Ham, but the state's tallest is in Mobile, is that right?

In any event, THIS IS A GREAT BUILDING!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 11:00 AM

interesting design. It looks good at night, I'm not sure about day.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 10:03 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJphx View Post
interesting design. It looks good at night, I'm not sure about day.
ditto for me...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 11:20 PM
roma volo

i was expecting this pretty "thang" in bama, but excuse me. pretty "thang" though.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 9:29 AM

BIRMINGHAM, UK | V Building | 500 FT / 152 M | 52 FLOORS

City: Birmingham, United Kingdom
Floors: 52
Height: 500ft
Use: Residential/Retail
Developers: Miller
Architect: Eric Kuhne
Site: http://www.civicarts.com/arena-square.php

NEW IMAGES ON WEBSITE

Great Civic Places are gifts to the City, but it is not enough to build open public space. We are plagued by a century of desolate public spaces. The pageantry of civic life is played out in the shops, restaurants, pubs, gardens and galleries that enfront these civic places. This animation of the street is what converts circulation spaces into meeting places. Arena Central will be become the Rockefeller Centre of Birmingham and the heart and soul of her café society.

The Vision: Dandara brings a towering identity to Birmingham's skyline: The V Building. Towers are part of the composition of all great cities, and Birmingham has designated Arena Square as a place for such a towering signature icon. Combing both legacy and prophesy, The V Building will draw from the great architecture of Victoria Square's heritage and add a new architectural statement as a prophesy for her future. Architecture can not forsake the quality of a City's streets, and The V Building.

Skybar & Observatory: The skyline of a city belongs to all of her people, and The V Building creates a mysterious vantage point to view Birmingham as no other building has ever done. Sweeping vistas of City Centre and Countryside that change from honey coloured stone and rolling green landscapes to constellations of lights at night: these are the living murals of our lives... and all will be open to those who visit our Sky Bar and Observatory. Once the providence of gods and designers, now the platform for one and all, The V Building will showcase Birmingham as never before.

Engaging City Life: The floor of a city is where her life is played out. Engaging the historic Alpha Tower, The V Building creates a new civic plaza that will breathe life into the floor of a city both day and night. Light shafts sparkle from the pavement, light wands engraved with the richness of Midland's Literature and Letters frame the ground. From Arena Square to Victoria Square: fountains, lighting, furnishing, and patterned pavement treat this great civic space as one of Birmingham's great civic parlours... hosting the gathering of her citizens, residents and denizens day and night... redeeming the street.

The V Building: Lattice fabric faÇades, luminescent shards, lighthouse quality skyline, civic art porte cochere, skygardens and sky bars, observatories, and lobbies of mystique and intrigue... these are the architectural elements that lift The V Building. Here architecture engages the imagination and hosts the romance of living in a great British City. The residents of the City's Centre are her guardians and hosts. Here restaurants, spa, bars, library, and reception rooms will welcome the best and brightest into the heart of Birmingham.We build tall. We build sound. We build all magnificent and proud

Signature for Birmingham: Residents of any city own two things: its skyline and its ground plane. The first in a silhouette drawn with distinction... the second in the spirited life day and night that captures the ethos of her grace. The V Building slices the sky with a scissors sculptural roof that frames the Sky Bar and Observatory: a place where everyone may gather to look out upon this fair City. Glowing at night as a beacon for the Midlands, blades of light meet luminescent top as a signature of the next generation of 21st century architecture for Birmingham

Cosmopolitan Sophistication: Birmingham is a City whose strengths come from the diversity of her citizens. The V Building will become a welcome hall for the variety of people who have made the Midlands their home, and Birmingham their identity. Cities at night, Cities of Light, Cities as the Marketplaces of Ideas: café society comes to Birmingham with a vengeance, and The V Building's entry rooms will become the stage for the excitement and intrigue, comfort and mythology of a city rediscovering herself

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 5:02 PM

Is this building in fact UNDER CONSTRUCTION? If not we need to move it to the appropriate sub-forum. . .

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 9:28 PM

Demolition is under way yes!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive