HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 6:02 AM
BANNED

Kansas City Missouri - "The Little Apple"

All photos are scanned from the Mid-Continent and Kansas City Missouri Public Libraries and available for public use.

I'm doing a paper researching the history of Kansas City, Missouri.

Evidently the city was once called "The Little Apple" and also the "Paris Of The Plains." The Little Apple reference had mostly to do with KC's art-deco skyscrapers, steaks and massive train station. I've also found that KC once had more buildings over 10 stories than any inland city other than Chicago up until 1950.

I'm also in the middle of researching St. Louis and should have some interesting photos scanned of her soon. Here are a few photos from my research of KC, "The Little Apple", I hope you enjoy.

This one is simply amazing

A sense of the scale

And here is the end and synopsis of my research. Seems like the end of downtown KC's heyday came once they ripped out 30 square blocks of density along the 6th Street Trafficway. This divided downtown from the River District and allowed traffic to bypass downtown. Later after the suburbs exploded they tore up 15th Street (Truman Road) and built another leg to the freeway system, allowing people to bypass downtown to the south and west. Downtown KC has been running uphill ever since.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos