HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
If you do that, you are unlikely to meet global target numbers.
To be blunt, the global target numbers are rubbish pulled out of some politician's ass.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 2:12 AM

If you want lower immigration, just say so, rather than pretending to support greater diversity. It's a defensible point of view.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 2:51 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
If you want lower immigration, just say so, rather than pretending to support greater diversity. It's a defensible point of view.
You are being presumptuous. Not everyone's perspective on our immigration mix is built on political ideology. One can be for more immigration yet want a more varied number of source countries.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
You are being presumptuous. Not everyone's perspective on our immigration mix is built on political ideology. One can be for more immigration yet want a more varied number of source countries.
But capping the number of immigrants from, for example, the Philippines does not increase the number of immigrants from Venezuela or Romania. The number of immigrants goes down, but diversity is unaffected.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 1:11 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
But capping the number of immigrants from, for example, the Philippines does not increase the number of immigrants from Venezuela or Romania. The number of immigrants goes down, but diversity is unaffected.
The number of immigrants would go down but diversity would be affected positively. Many of us would like diversity in source countries. Just bringing in Chinese, Indians and Philippinos will turn every major city into a carbon copy of Vancouver in a couple decades. Boring!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 2:17 PM
recession proof

To answer the thread title question: Because some say the Natives came from Asia.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 4:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
You seriously think we couldn't find 300,000 good people every year to move to Canada, out of a global population of almost 8 billion, simply because we tweaked the countries of origin we want to source them from?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 4:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
The number of immigrants would go down but diversity would be affected positively. Many of us would like diversity in source countries. Just bringing in Chinese, Indians and Philippinos will turn every major city into a carbon copy of Vancouver in a couple decades. Boring!

I have been in favour of diverse sources of immigration for quite some time. But it's not because only a handful of source countries makes things "boring", but rather because having multiple origin immigrants coming to an established country generally facilitates integration and leads to better societal outcomes.

Japan and its cities are 100% Japanese (pretty much) but I certainly wouldn't call them "boring".

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You seriously think we couldn't find 300,000 good people every year to move to Canada, out of a global population of almost 8 billion, simply because we tweaked the countries of origin we want to source them from?
Well, I don't know, but where would you find them? There are no formal impediments that I'm aware of for people from any country to apply to immigrate to Canada. I couldn't see any objection (unless from the other country) if we were to start promoting Canada as an immigration destination in Ukraine, Venezuela, Tunisia or wherever, but I'm not sure how effective it would be since people from those countries can already apply to come to Canada. When I think of Venezuela, tens or hundreds of thousands of people have left in recent years, but the number coming to Canada remains below 2,000 per year (I think). One wonders why?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 4:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Well, I don't know, but where would you find them? There are no formal impediments that I'm aware of for people from any country to apply to immigrate to Canada. I couldn't see any objection (unless from the other country) if we were to start promoting Canada as an immigration destination in Ukraine, Venezuela, Tunisia or wherever, but I'm not sure how effective it would be since people from those countries can already apply to come to Canada. When I think of Venezuela, tens or hundreds of thousands of people have left in recent years, but the number coming to Canada remains below 2,000 per year (I think). One wonders why?
Established communities serve as "conveyor belts" that can bring more and more people of a specific origin to a community in their wake.

I don't think anyone in the Portuguese islands of the Açores was dreaming of Gatineau, QC 50 years ago but here they are today as a fixture of this city.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/...-fin-politique

https://tourismexpress.com/nouvelles...esidence-du-ca

http://www.manuelsilva.ca/a-propos-manuel-silva

The same goes for Philippinos in Winnipeg and Lebanese people in Ottawa (and Gatineau too).

In terms of public policy on immigration the easiest thing to do is to simply let these trends follow their course.

But that doesn't mean we have to do this forever or that other channels can't be nurtured if that's what we want.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 5:29 PM

Quote:
I don't necessarily want lower immigration per se, but if that's a consequence of more diversity I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Do you really think raising the quota based on any sound science as opposed to Justin saying "hey we're the immigration party, open the gates"? For several years now studies have shown Canada isn't providing many immigrants with great opportunities. Automation is only going to make this worse. I don't know how it is in your area, but in YVR I'd guess 90% of can drivers are recent arrivals from the Indian subcontinent. What happens to those jobs if adoption of Uber's self driving cars take off? And why are they stuck driving cabs if we have a much vaunted points system to attract skilled workers?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 5:33 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Established communities serve as "conveyor belts" that can bring more and more people of a specific origin to a community in their wake.
This is perhaps one of the very most significant drivers of ethnic concentrations. The concept of critical mass. It also illustrates why it is very hard to establish ethnic concentrations in far flung cities. The pull of the established communities in the bigger cities is greater than that of the handful of families, no matter how close, that colonize a given place. I do a lot of research on immigration, and places like New Brunswick are desperate to learn ways of hanging on to the immigrants they attract (through various incentives, quotas), and the data is very clear: particular groups have a much higher chance of staying put when there is a long established community of that group. I know people in the Jewish and Korean communities in Saint John (NB) that have been very active on outreach initiatives to replenish their communities, but with very limited success despite considerable efforts.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 5:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Japan and its cities are 100% Japanese (pretty much) but I certainly wouldn't call them "boring".
there is definitely nothing boring about Japanese cities.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 6:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
This is perhaps one of the very most significant drivers of ethnic concentrations. The concept of critical mass. It also illustrates why it is very hard to establish ethnic concentrations in far flung cities. The pull of the established communities in the bigger cities is greater than that of the handful of families, no matter how close, that colonize a given place. I do a lot of research on immigration, and places like New Brunswick are desperate to learn ways of hanging on to the immigrants they attract (through various incentives, quotas), and the data is very clear: particular groups have a much higher chance of staying put when there is a long established community of that group. I know people in the Jewish and Korean communities in Saint John (NB) that have been very active on outreach initiatives to replenish their communities, but with very limited success despite considerable efforts.
And who can blame immigrants for congregating with people like them? Moving halfway around the world to a totally foreign country must be so incredibly insécurisant. Most of us can't even imagine what that is like.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Why Canada has proportionally more Asian-descent people than most western countries?
1 - Because, even though it is insanely huge like Russia by land area, Canada doesn't even have 40 million inhabitants. Roughly twice as less as France currently, I think. While France is ridiculously small compared to Canada.

2 - Because oceans are only populated by silent innocent fish, then it's much easier to cross them than land, even when man has been able to fly for a damn long while yet.

Who gives a damn anyway? One of my most productive friend is from South Korea. She's most likely to put anyone of you guys to shame when it's about hard working.

I mean, the Asians still live like fucking slaves, actually. And hard-working slaves are more powerful than their lazy masters. That is a fucking fact that some smart German philosopher (I forget the fucking name cause it's so fucking German) described as a relentless phenomenon.
Slaves can produce stuff, cause they do work. Lazy masters can't, since they've done pretty much nothing useful.

You see? Eventually, masters become slaves of their slaves. They're too selfish, thus too lazy to survive any fucking test.

Excuse my fucking French! Lol

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 6:33 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

^
lmao

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 6:37 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

To each their own, but having choices makes life more enjoyable. I don't find Japan that appealing. If every medium to large city in Canada developed the same ethnic mix, then that would be boring to me compared to a more varied alternative, is what I meant.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 6:38 PM

Quote:
India, China and the Philippines (in addition to other large immigrant countries of origin like Pakistan and up-and-comers like Nigeria) are incredibly diverse countries, and that diversity is reflected in the immigrants who come here.

Take immigrants from India, for example. Although the stereotypical Indian immigrant is the Punjabi-speaking Sikh (which, to be fair, is the most visible Indian community, especially outside Toronto), there are several different groups fairly well represented in Canada. Off the top of my head, I personally know or have known immigrants from India who were:

-Punjabi-speaking Sikhs
-Gujarati-speaking Hindus
-native English speakers from Mumbai
-Hindi and Urdu speakers from UP/Delhi
-Goan Catholics with Portuguese names
-Tibetans born in the diaspora
-Jews from South India

Several other diverse groups also have large presences in Canada.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 6:42 PM
gettin' rich!

We need more Asians in Canada. But I would prefer some Cambodians, Malaysians, and South Chinese.

Phils and Thais also cool.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 6:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Hopefully mousquet won't make anybody cry on here!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada