HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
This is the closest I've seen to construction photos of Purdy's Wharf.
Was about to post the same comment. Interesting to see. Also while there has been a reduction in the massive parking lots between Lower Water St and the harbour, the quality/size of development along Lower Water is v. disappointing when you see it from this perspective.

The "before" pic shows remnants of the rail line past the Dockyard which is now just parking lots. That needs to be reclaimed somehow.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Another:

Great work! I might try some as well when I get the time. Can you give us an idea of what year the photos were taken?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 1:04 AM

It looks like the WTCC is finished while Purdy's 1 is under construction and the Marriott Harbourfront (originally the Sheraton) hadn't started yet, so I would guess early 1980s.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 12:34 PM

Yeah, I would say you are on the money, Keith.

Looking at the cleared-out waterfront, it again becomes evident that the city was all-in with the Harbour Drive project. That is one pile of land and a lot of businesses to get rid of for the project. It's up to debate as to whether it was misdirected or not, but what is clear is that back then the city was not afraid to take on huge projects, unlike today.

Also, it's interesting to think that in this photo taken some 15-20 years after it was cleared, there was still very little development on the waterfront. Man, it has taken (and still is) a long time for it to bounce back!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Also, it's interesting to think that in this photo taken some 15-20 years after it was cleared, there was still very little development on the waterfront. Man, it has taken (and still is) a long time for it to bounce back!
Really still not all that much on the harbour side of Lower Water. Bishop's Landing and Summit Place are new developments I can see in the later pic, but there are still many parking lots. The inaction by Waterfront Development Corp is shameful.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Really still not all that much on the harbour side of Lower Water. Bishop's Landing and Summit Place are new developments I can see in the later pic, but there are still many parking lots. The inaction by Waterfront Development Corp is shameful.
You're right. The recent repurposing of the old power plants and Queen's Marque are really the only recent action there, although to be fair there have been some additions such as the Sands at Salter, an additional walkway that extends into the water side there, the beer garden also is a nice addition.

Slow is not necessarily a bad thing as far as the waterfront is concerned, though, as it at least may ensure that more quality projects happen there, rather than just any old building being slapped up. We'll see, though...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos