HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 10:30 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
About a month ago, we were informed about Living Furniture coming to Pflugerville. They just started turning dirt about that time. As of now, huge foundations have been poured and construction on the buildings is on its way. This complex is going up really quick. There are signs on the east side of Heatherwilde and Toll Road 45 telling of more retail coming soon. Just came back from the ever expanding Stone Hill Center, and I can tell you the construction activity in this neck of the woods is amazing. As Downtown Austin grows taller, Pflugerville is gobbling up and developing horizontally. Not bad for a small town of less than 100K. What I like about Pflugerville's sprawl over Round Rock's is that all the development is pretty much compacted from 685 and Pecan St. north to the 45 / 130 intersection, and now just a few miles west on 45 to Heatherwilde. All the major retail centers are accessable using 45 and 130, and 685 south from there to Pecan, (1825).
I agree and pflugerville feels more fresh to me. Round rock does not feel like a true Texas surburb to me.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 10:40 PM

https://communityimpact.com/austin/l...-concept-plan/

Quote:
Tonight, Lakeway City Council reviewed a concept plan presented by developer Legend Communities founder/principal Haythem Dawlett and Chief Operating Officer Bill Hayes for a town center—Lakeway City Center—to be located off Lohmans Crossing and behind the Oaks at Lakeway shopping center.

Hayes estimated the project cost would possibly exceed $500 million; take seven to 10 years to complete; and include a full-service hotel, a variety of homes, a community venue, a village green space, retail and office space. He also said the proposal includes a performing arts center or, in the event the center is not approved by City Council, an alternative concept, such as a movie theater with dining.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 12:57 AM
德克萨斯人 y'all

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
I agree and pflugerville feels more fresh to me. Round rock does not feel like a true Texas surburb to me.
Just curious, what do you mean by Round Rock not feeling like a "true Texas suburb"?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 8:10 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Just curious, what do you mean by Round Rock not feeling like a "true Texas suburb"?
It's hard to explain, me and a few friends who are not from Texas, but have explored all the big cities in Texas, comment how The Woodlands or even Plano are massive master-planned suburbs. Austin doesn't seem to have any like that, maybe Cedar Park or lakeway? I hope I making sense.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 9:08 PM

Quote:
It's hard to explain, me and a few friends who are not from Texas, but have explored all the big cities in Texas, comment how The Woodlands or even Plano are massive master-planned suburbs. Austin doesn't seem to have any like that, maybe Cedar Park or lakeway? I hope I making sense.
I don't think Round Rock or Cedar Park have ever had master plans. Round Rock has been around since the 1800's and has grown organically, like San Marcos or New Braunfels - it's not master-planned like Woodlands or Plano. I don't think Austin really has any truly master planned suburbs outside the city proper.

Although, communities like Bee Caves have new master-planned "central districts" - I think there is a master plan underway for Cedar Park as well.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 9:53 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I don't think Round Rock or Cedar Park have ever had master plans. Round Rock has been around since the 1800's and has grown organically, like San Marcos or New Braunfels - it's not master-planned like Woodlands or Plano. I don't think Austin really has any truly master planned suburbs outside the city proper.

Although, communities like Bee Caves have new master-planned "central districts" - I think there is a master plan underway for Cedar Park as well.
Good points and makes sense.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 9:58 PM
德克萨斯人 y'all

Quote:
Okay, I think I follow. I see Round Rock as endless sprawl in a lot of ways, but Sighaven's point that Round Rock has somewhat grown organically makes sense as well...especially when compared to The Woodlands or Plano. So far as Round Rock goes, I know they've done some things for their historic downtown, but I really wish they would do more. It's really a neat area - same with Georgetown.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Okay, I think I follow. I see Round Rock as endless sprawl in a lot of ways, but Sighaven's point that Round Rock has somewhat grown organically makes sense as well...especially when compared to The Woodlands or Plano. So far as Round Rock goes, I know they've done some things for their historic downtown, but I really wish they would do more. It's really a neat area - same with Georgetown.
Except Georgetown's downtown is very walkable, block after block, north to south, east to west. Heck, Taylor has more of a distinguishable downtown than Pflugerville or Round Rock. Neither of those two cities really have a destination downtown. If they didn't have water towers with the names of the towns on them, you might think you're still in the burbs of Austin. In over 30 years living here, I have never wanted to visit downtown Round Rock or Pflugerville. I have however, checked out Georgetown, many times, San Marcos, and Taylor. Also Fredricksburg, Lockhart, and even Luling and Bastrop.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 1:24 AM
德克萨斯人 y'all

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Except Georgetown's downtown is very walkable, block after block, north to south, east to west. Heck, Taylor has more of a distinguishable downtown than Pflugerville or Round Rock. Neither of those two cities really have a destination downtown. If they didn't have water towers with the names of the towns on them, you might think you're still in the burbs of Austin. In over 30 years living here, I have never wanted to visit downtown Round Rock or Pflugerville. I have however, checked out Georgetown, many times, San Marcos, and Taylor. Also Fredricksburg, Lockhart, and even Luling and Bastrop.
I definitely agree with Georgetown especially. I meant to emphasize that I wish Round Rock did more (and, for that matter, that Georgetown would do *even* more). Round Rock has a quaint little downtown area that could be so much more.

Pflugerville doesn't have much of anything, same with Cedar Park.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 4:47 AM
Duck and covfefe

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...IZgqwsOWWhVUJ/
Quote:
Pflugerville Council mulls partnering in estimated $1.2B project

Mike Parker Austin Community Newspapers Staff
5:01 p.m Wednesday, Aug. 23, 2017

The Pflugerville City Council is considering whether the city should partner in a development project, which developers say could be the difference between a $400 million project with a sprawling parking lot to a $1.2 billion project with a hotel, amphitheater and other community amenities.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 12:31 AM

Kalahari Resorts has a nice sign out by Hwy 79 and it looks like a welcome center is open. They renovated the old farm house on the land for their RR headquarters and welcome center. I typically don't drive on 79 so I was surprised to see a lot of development ahead of Kalahari's groundbreaking. By 2020, the section of 79 from Mays Street to Red Bud will be almost unrecognizable. With the Dell Diamond in the mix, this is going to be an interesting stretch of road. The Salt Lick is well positioned for the onslaught.

The HUGE Living Furniture site looks like they have most of the foundations poured for the warehouse, store, and surrounding retail and restaurants. There's a crane in place so I'm expecting vertical construction to begin soon. I have never seen cement slabs this big before, we're talking quite a few acres worth. Just like the transformation of that stretch of 79, 45 east is experiencing some major changes. There is another huge warehouse under construction just to the west.

There's quite a bit of construction action going on 15 miles north of all the excitement in Austin. Maybe not as glamourous as Austin downtown, but pretty amazing just the same.

Last edited by the Genral; Oct 15, 2017 at 12:48 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin