HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blease View Post
If the proposed stadium does actually come about, it will most likely be built next to Scott Road station.
Could work with Gateway station as there is plenty of space there, plus it has BC lions training area, baseball fields, plus the soccer fields and the chuck bailey recreation centre. So it would be a great place for a stadium in terms of sports.

Last edited by SurreyonTheMap; Oct 12, 2017 at 7:48 PM. Reason: adding a point

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyonTheMap View Post
Could work with Gateway station as there is plenty of space there, plus it has BC lions training area, baseball fields, plus the soccer fields and the chuck bailey recreation centre. So it would be a great place for a stadium in terms of sports.
I honestly think that the very large chunk of land stretching northwards from Surrey Central right up to the river is probably the most viable space for any emerging large-scale projects within Greater Vancouver whether that means stadium or the new Amazon campus hub. I mean if Amazon actually wanted to move Vancouver, where else could they possibly set up a 50,000 employee facility next to skytrain and other urban amenities. One way or another there is great potential for that land.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blease View Post
I honestly think that the very large chunk of land stretching northwards from Surrey Central right up to the river is probably the most viable space for any emerging large-scale projects within Greater Vancouver whether that means stadium or the new Amazon campus hub. I mean if Amazon actually wanted to move Vancouver, where else could they possibly set up a 50,000 employee facility next to skytrain and other urban amenities. One way or another there is great potential for that land.
Make Brownsville Great Again?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Gateway Station area has lots of potential and would be a great location to establish a sports hub.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 11:43 PM

You can look on cosmos.surrey.ca to see which parcels of land are city owned. They are coloured in Pink.

It would make sense to fit in around the area of the BC Lions training facility / baseball diamonds / soccer fields. This area is identified to be focused on sports/recreation in the City Centre Plan.

The pink city owned properties next just to the north of the baseball diamonds south of 108 / west of University will not be the site however. I know for a fact that 5 towers are being planned for this site right now.

I dont see any big city owned parcels around Scott Rd except for where the Ice Rinks are going.

The Soccer Stadium could go elsewhere in the City. Makes more sense in the City Centre or Scott Rd area though.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 11:48 PM

If this is going on existing city-owned land, then I don't see any good spots in Whalley to plop this building.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
He mentions "a few thousand" seats, so I don't think it would be 20. Only teams that could fill that would be the Whitecaps or the Lions, and I imagine they're both happy at BC Place.

Maybe it could house the rumoured Fraser Valley CSL team? There are also rumours of pro rugby making its way up here but that's still in the very early stages and I doubt they'd build a new stadium for that.
"Hayne said whether a Surrey stadium would be in the 8,000 to 10,000-seat range or 15,000 to 20,000 seats would depend on bids, but the city isn’t interested in contributing capital funds unless the province is involved in taking on some of the risk." From the Vancouver Sun article.

But, we'll see what happens.
Not sure I can see a CPL team taking off in Surrey right now, but we'll see.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 12:30 PM

Okay so did a little looking around at other teams for this and their stadium sizes

Confirmed
Winnipeg - 33,234
Hamilton - 24,000

Rumored cities
Calgary - 35,400
Regina - 33,000
ottawa - 24,000
Edmonton - 5,000
Halifax - 8,000

So out side of halifax and edmonton they have some large stadiums.
I wouldn't be surprised to see at least over 10,000 seats. It is possible they do go with 20,000 too after all we are the third largest metro in Canada. Add Surrey also could pull in from the fraser Valley

Oh I also notice Victoria was a possible city they are looking at. would be cool to see both Surrey and Victoria get a team could make for some nice rivalry and really drive up people watching and going to the games. not holding high hopes for that though

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envder View Post
Okay so did a little looking around at other teams for this and their stadium sizes

Confirmed
Winnipeg - 33,234
Hamilton - 24,000

Rumored cities
Calgary - 35,400
Regina - 33,000
ottawa - 24,000
Edmonton - 5,000
Halifax - 8,000

So out side of halifax and edmonton they have some large stadiums.
I wouldn't be surprised to see at least over 10,000 seats. It is possible they do go with 20,000 too after all we are the third largest metro in Canada. Add Surrey also could pull in from the fraser Valley

Oh I also notice Victoria was a possible city they are looking at. would be cool to see both Surrey and Victoria get a team could make for some nice rivalry and really drive up people watching and going to the games. not holding high hopes for that though
The reason most of those stadiums are so big is because they already exist and there may not be a smaller alternative. I'd be very surprised if Surrey built a 20,000 seat stadium. Yes the team will draw from all over the Lower Mainland, but it's still a second-tier soccer team. They're not gonna draw as much as the Whitecaps are.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 6:04 PM

Quote:
The reason most of those stadiums are so big is because they already exist and there may not be a smaller alternative. I'd be very surprised if Surrey built a 20,000 seat stadium. Yes the team will draw from all over the Lower Mainland, but it's still a second-tier soccer team. They're not gonna draw as much as the Whitecaps are.
Also from what I remember the Whitecaps only use the lower portion of BC Place, so a bit shy of 30,000. Even the Coliseum is 16,000 and how much use does it get these days? Then there's the one in Abbotsford that's 7,000. I'd suspect if a stadium is built in Surrey it wouldn't top 10,000.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 11:58 PM

I expect this will be an outdoor stadium, not an indoor arena.
So think Swangard Stadium or Thunderbird Stadium.

Swangard can seat 5,288.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swangard_Stadium

Thunderbird can seat 3,500 in the grandstand.
http://sportfacilities.ubc.ca/thunderbird-stadium/

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Actually this is set to be a tier 1 league not tier 2.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envder View Post
Actually this is set to be a tier 1 league not tier 2.
Sorry I don't actually know how soccer tiers work, I just meant it's a step down from the MLS. Or is it not? I assumed it was at the same level as the NASL.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 9:15 AM

nope suppose to be same level as MLS

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 5:02 PM

My mistake then.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley