HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 3:19 AM

That's a really pretty tower. I'll admit I'm not very good at being able to tell if something will age well though.

I think their advertising campaign is on point. It would be super cool to own a condo with the room name of a TV star. My condo unit is named the "Mark". Boringgg,

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 3:18 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Is there actually any binding regulation that prevents building higher than the escarpment? I keep hearing this mentioned.
Not yet, officially. The city's draft tall building study notes it, but guidelines are not yet approved.

I feel it's a mug's game. The tallest we have now obscure the view of the harbour from the escarpment edge. They're not substantially taller than the escarpment, and their placement relative to the escarpment matters too -- so if we allow more buildings to that height depending on where they are situated, the bay will be obscured anyway. We'd need to institute a 20-storey or 80m height limit or something like that or base it on view-planes given the changing elevations of the lower city to ensure an uninterrupted view of the water of the harbour from the top of the escarpment.

And as for obscuring the view of the escarpment from the north side, along the harbour for example, that already happens.

So I feel this height limit idea is rather arbitrary. Developers will challenge it, council will fold if the benefits to the city are clear, or the OMB will end up deciding what is right/wrong (and that's not a good solution).

I think it would be better to examine each proposal and evaluate it based on its own merits, and respond to its height, design, impact on shadows and views and such, and especially its connection with the city at the ground level on a case by case basis.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:38 AM

New rendering of the gym from the website:

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 4:01 AM

Say the proposal is denied at this height, what are Lamb's usual responses to being told no? is he willing to adjust the project as required or does he take his ball and go home?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 4:21 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
New rendering of the gym from the website:

That's cool - I've seen things similar to this in places like montreal.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Say the proposal is denied at this height, what are Lamb's usual responses to being told no? is he willing to adjust the project as required or does he take his ball and go home?
Probably OMB.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Probably OMB.
If this project is denied because of the proposed height, then this city is a joke. The argument that buildings must not eclipse the view of a natural phenomenon is preposterous. I have an unobstructed view from the edge of the escarpment to downtown. And there are a number of buildings that already restrict my view of the Bay and Cootes, etc--Landmark, Stelco Tower, Olympia building. And so what? Real cities aim high in all regards. Proper design and beautiful architecture mitigate blocked views. Great architecture always adjusts to the natural surroundings. But this doesn't mean our buildings can't soar high.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
If this project is denied because of the proposed height, then this city is a joke. The argument that buildings must not eclipse the view of a natural phenomenon is preposterous. I have an unobstructed view from the edge of the escarpment to downtown. And there are a number of buildings that already restrict my view of the Bay and Cootes, etc--Landmark, Stelco Tower, Olympia building. And so what? Real cities aim high in all regards. Proper design and beautiful architecture mitigate blocked views. Great architecture always adjusts to the natural surroundings. But this doesn't mean our buildings can't soar high.

Does that mean Montreal is a joke though?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 8:32 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
montreal has a MOUNTAIN that they can raise their elevations to, so it's not quite the same comparison..

after all the literal translation of montreal is "royal mountain"

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 9:22 PM

I think Montreal can execute 40 story towers without going above the mountain due to the difference in elevation. I know there are 50 floor developments proposed there (tour des Canadiens, L'Avenue)

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Anything but a joke, but I'd have to agree with the other poster that the comparison--in this regard--isn't apt.

It's already been observed by me and others that natural elements--the bay, the escarpment from the north or south views--are already obscured to degrees.

I guess my question is: so what? Let architectural beauty work with the natural environment. And we know that height works. Look at Chicago, Hong Kong, Shanghai, NYC, you name it. . . . .

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Anything but a joke, but I'd have to agree with the other poster that the comparison--in this regard--isn't apt.

It's already been observed by me and others that natural elements--the bay, the escarpment from the north or south views--are already obscured to degrees.

I guess my question is: so what? Let architectural beauty work with the natural environment. And we know that height works. Look at Chicago, Hong Kong, Shanghai, NYC, you name it. . . . .
Except there isn't the same big money in Hamilton, compared to the cities you mentioned (Chicago, Hong Kong, NYC).....

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 2:42 PM

Height for the sake of height is poor planning. Keep the sacred skyline in tact.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnor View Post
Height for the sake of height is poor planning. Keep the sacred skyline in tact.
Agree! It's part of what makes Hamilton so unique.

I think this developer can still do something good with a reduced height. We'll see what happens.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 3:51 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
montreal has a MOUNTAIN that they can raise their elevations to, so it's not quite the same comparison..

after all the literal translation of montreal is "royal mountain"
Folks from Calgary or Vancouver grumble about Montreal's mountain not being a 'true mountain' about as much as they do Hamilton's.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 7:48 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Folks from Calgary or Vancouver grumble about Montreal's mountain not being a 'true mountain' about as much as they do Hamilton's.
lol yes, yes they do.

It always feels silly to call the escarpment a mountain - in truth we live in a crater - the escarpment is like filling a tub up full of water and then letting it drain halfway.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 10:48 PM

New rendering of a coworking space from the website. I also received this email with a neat quote from the architect:

Quote:

Lamb Development Corp.’s
Television City Available for Purchase
Hamilton’s most anticipated residential project is officially on sale November 4th.

HAMILTON, ON, October 25, 2017: Television City, the largest residential project in Hamilton to date, is officially on sale November 4, 2017. Spearheaded by Lamb Development Corp., in partnership with Movengo Developments, the $360-million-dollar project represents the first phase of the company’s investment in Hamilton, which will include several more projects worth over $1 billion.
Units start at $220,000, with styles ranging from studios to penthouses designed by Peter Clewes of architectsAlliance and Kelly Cray of U31. Interested purchasers may visit the sales office located at the future home of Television City (163 Jackson St. W.), call 905-512-4700 or visit televisioncity.ca to inquire.

“As a developer, my main interest lies in building communities. Hamilton is a vibrant, evolving city, made even greater by its people,” said Brad Lamb, CEO of Lamb Development Corp. “From homeowners to councillors to entrepreneurs, we have had the opportunity to sit down with Hamilton citizens who are excited to see the city’s potential come to life. We are happy to be a part of this stage in its history.”

Next to the preserved and repurposed Pinehurst Mansion, two connected 40-storey and 30-storey towers will house approximately 618 units. Once complete, Television City will occupy 485,424 sq. ft. of usable space, with 474,080 sq. ft. dedicated to residential units and 11,344 sq. ft. of retail space. The community will appeal to a wide range of residents, from young professionals to growing families who require quality middle-class housing, without sacrificing exceptional style.

The future Television City in Hamilton, ON.

“Hamilton possesses remarkable gifts of environment and geography, paired with a gracious architectural heritage. Inserting new buildings into the downtown core has to proceed with respect for, and sensitivity to, Hamilton’s design history and its social and cultural legacy," said Clewes, the architectural design lead.

"While Television City sets up two great, graphic towers on the city skyline, the slenderness of these forms means that we can preserve views north toward Burlington Bay and Cootes Paradise, and south toward the Escarpment. By lifting the towers above a transparent base, pedestrians on all surrounding streets can see through the building to the restored Pinehurst Mansion, which will be set like a gem into a beautifully landscaped new public garden."

With a move-in date scheduled for 2021, Television City offers luxury amenities to cater to a diverse community of residents, including an outdoor infinity pool, fitness centre and skyclub, in addition to a co-op tech workspace, children’s play centre, private dog walk and pet-washing station.

As with all Lamb projects, Television City is designed according to its signature Lamb Standard, a corporate pursuit of great architecture, clever modern interior design and exceptional finishes. Each suite will be fully equipped with European-style modern kitchen cabinetry, double thick stone kitchen and vanity counters, 9-foot ceilings or higher, loft style exposed concrete features, spa quality bathroom finishes, gas cooking and gas BBQ nozzles on all balconies.

For those interested in ‘living in a Lamb,’ visit the sales office to learn more. Beginning November 4th, hours are Saturdays and Sundays 12 to 5 p.m., Thursdays 2 to 8 p.m. and Fridays 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. To register to receive more information about Television City, or another Lamb development, please visit lambdevcorp.com.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 1:48 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
"HAMILTON, ON, October 25, 2017: Television City, the largest residential project in Hamilton to date.."
**hears thunder from the RC heavens**

**runs and hides**

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 2:54 AM

^ It's ok when it's true.

Hell, RC doesn't even crack my top 5.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 1:30 PM

Loving this project more and more.
I'll certainly be sending in my feedback re: tall buildings guidelines. This 30-storey talk is bizarre. Preserving the dumb-looking Century 21 tower as our tallest forever would be awful.
If one stands at Sam Lawrence Park, you can't see much water through the current downtown core. The harbour narrows to the NW and buildings 15-20 stories block the small view that exists. East of Wellington would make sense to not go higher than 30 as the harbour widens and is actually visible from the Brow.

Other cities hold international competitions to build their new tallest. Hamilton tries to stymie investment and growth....typical

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton