HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 3:19 AM

That's a really pretty tower. I'll admit I'm not very good at being able to tell if something will age well though.

I think their advertising campaign is on point. It would be super cool to own a condo with the room name of a TV star. My condo unit is named the "Mark". Boringgg,

Interest in the future of Hamilton and the GTHA. Living in Burlington, hoping to move to the Hammer sooner rather than later. I understand the basic building blocks of a successful city. Hamilton is getting close.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 3:18 AM
Species: Homo Hamiltonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Is there actually any binding regulation that prevents building higher than the escarpment? I keep hearing this mentioned.
Not yet, officially. The city's draft tall building study notes it, but guidelines are not yet approved.

I feel it's a mug's game. The tallest we have now obscure the view of the harbour from the escarpment edge. They're not substantially taller than the escarpment, and their placement relative to the escarpment matters too -- so if we allow more buildings to that height depending on where they are situated, the bay will be obscured anyway. We'd need to institute a 20-storey or 80m height limit or something like that or base it on view-planes given the changing elevations of the lower city to ensure an uninterrupted view of the water of the harbour from the top of the escarpment.

And as for obscuring the view of the escarpment from the north side, along the harbour for example, that already happens.

So I feel this height limit idea is rather arbitrary. Developers will challenge it, council will fold if the benefits to the city are clear, or the OMB will end up deciding what is right/wrong (and that's not a good solution).

I think it would be better to examine each proposal and evaluate it based on its own merits, and respond to its height, design, impact on shadows and views and such, and especially its connection with the city at the ground level on a case by case basis.

Old Posted Today, 1:38 AM

New rendering of the gym from the website:

Old Posted Today, 4:01 AM

Say the proposal is denied at this height, what are Lamb's usual responses to being told no? is he willing to adjust the project as required or does he take his ball and go home?

Old Posted Today, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
New rendering of the gym from the website:

That's cool - I've seen things similar to this in places like montreal.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton