HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Some impressive names. Why wasnt the contract awarded to anybody but the last guy.

Radius. Romanos. Loprestis. Carmens. Edgewater.

All respectable. At least more respectable than the last tennant.
'Dangerous and disturbing this puzzle is. Clear your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot.' (Yoda, A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 1:36 AM

The numbered company at 180 James South... Perhaps La Piazza Allegra? Or, if not them, Royal Pizza?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
The numbered company at 180 James South... Perhaps La Piazza Allegra? Or, if not them, Royal Pizza?
I did a search and it came back as La Piazza Allegra.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I'm leaning towards number 4 - The Bum Contract Furniture Bistro. Really rolls off the tongue.
Soon they will 'hate us because they ain-us'.

'Peanut butter and jealous!'

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 8:01 PM

What a great list! Some excellent local interest. I would like to see the contract awarded to a local business but at the same time I'm a bit surprised that a "chain" like The Keg or Kelsey's haven't come forward. Maybe they feel that the downtown Hamilton demographics aren't quite there yet.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 10:58 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gore View Post
What a great list! Some excellent local interest. I would like to see the contract awarded to a local business but at the same time I'm a bit surprised that a "chain" like The Keg or Kelsey's haven't come forward. Maybe they feel that the downtown Hamilton demographics aren't quite there yet.
There actually used to be a Keg downtown - where Slainte is. I think it will take a lot more change to bring them back, but they seem to follow a suburban power centre location model now (in most places anyway).

Frankly I'd rather see an independent take this over.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Might have as much to do with having to deal with the City than anything else.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
There actually used to be a Keg downtown - where Slainte is. I think it will take a lot more change to bring them back, but they seem to follow a suburban power centre location model now (in most places anyway).

Frankly I'd rather see an independent take this over.
I would much rather see an independent take over as well but its a good sign when a national successful operations comes knocking

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 1:22 AM
Ham-burgher

Agreed. I think once we see more of the planned and proposed condos start going up, it's likely some chains will take notice and lease space.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 1:49 AM

Quote:
There is a law firm and a consultant that could be a front for a major chain. Most of the major chains are owned by a few parent companies and just one law firm or consultant could represent several chains.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 4:32 AM
Concerned Citizen

There was a Kelsey's downtown at one time. Their first location was at the back of the Right House building facing King William. They then moved to the plaza at John and Young.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 12:53 AM

City has just one bidder for Lister space

Hamilton Spectator
By Meredith MacLeod

A sports bar is the only bidder that the city will consider to take over the space vacated by the 28 Lister Chophouse Grill.

The only complete bid is for a franchise of Wendel Clark's Classic Grill and Bar.

There were two submissions in response to a request for proposals for the corner unit of the Lister building but one was disqualified for being incomplete, says Rom D'Angelo, director of facility management and capital programs for the city.

D'Angelo says the Wendel Clark's bid is being reviewed by city staff and a recommendation is expected to go to city council in the next couple of weeks.

City staff had hoped for more interest when 15 bid packages were picked up by parties that included a number of Hamilton restaurateurs.

Wendel Clark's, which is partially owned by the former Maple Leafs captain, operates locations in Burlington and Vaughan, where burgers are $13 to $19 and entrees range from $17 for a veggie stir-fry to $34 for a signature strip loin steak.

The prices are a far cry from the failed 28 Lister's $55 strip loin and dressed up poutine for $19.

The Wendel Clark's website says the eatery "cleverly combines the comfort and warm atmosphere of a lounge with the upbeat energy of a sports bar. The design of the space and the menu selection has been engineered to appeal to sports fans as well as families, groups, business people and women."

Sam D'Uva, CEO of Dynamic Hospitality and Entertainment Group, which franchises the Wendel Clark's chain, said he wasn't aware their bid stood alone in Hamilton.

"I guess it's good news but we haven't been formally informed, so it's not appropriate to comment now."

He said the bid was submitted by a company that bought a Wendel Clark's franchise but Dynamic Hospitality approved the Lister building site and helped with the submission.

The low number of bidders echoes the first round of finding a restaurant to occupy the space in the historic and restored city building. There were three bidders in early 2013 but two dropped out during negotiations.

That left Chris DesRoches. The former owner of the La Costa chain was awarded a 10-year lease in April 2013. The high-end 28 Lister Chophouse didn't open until September 2014 and by then had been plagued with complaints from suppliers, contractors and employers about nonpayment.

A Spectator investigation a few months before uncovered a litany of business and personal financial problems in DesRoches' past, which city staff were not aware of when the lease was awarded to him.

The city terminated its lease with DesRoches in early November for nonpayment of rent and other fees.

D'Angelo says if the Wendel Clark's bid isn't recommended by city staff, the scope of the request for proposals will have to be re-evaluated.

He said a number of interested parties complained about a letter of credit required by the city and some were put off by the fact that the restaurant must share washrooms in the public hall of the building.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 1:13 AM

well thats not good

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 1:16 AM

Only in Hamilton. Only in Hamilton. Only in Hamilton could something like this happen. Really...the historic Lister Block that WE spent a boatload of money on is going to get a Sports Bar? Really? Really? Hell..I give them mediocre success at best, and after a few years they will be gone. Dare I say...Lister Chop House vision was perfect for the spot, just poorly executed. Only in Hamilton. Well at least it looks like Sirloin Cellar may have new life after the improvements to the alley and surrounding buildings. RIDICULOUS!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevue View Post
Only in Hamilton. Only in Hamilton.. Really? Really? ... RIDICULOUS!
GOD, please quick with the negativity! Did you think that maybe the reason there is only one bidder is because the landlord is government? It's not the ideal situation but it is what it is. IMO, Wendell Clark's would be a great restaurant for the location. It would bring much needed life and people to the area other than the derelicts that are common to the area.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 2:23 AM

I don't think its a bad thing. A place like this should generate a lunch crowd and a younger crowd at night and during hockey games. It might bring some life to that part of James.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 2:27 AM

Guys, as much as we want every restaurant that opens to be a cool unique local place, given the circumstances, I wouldn't be complaining. A place like this could be really successful downtown, and I can see it generating some night life around James and King William.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 3:00 AM

Wow what happened to all the earlier applicants like Lo Presti's?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 4:27 AM

I don't know anything about this chain but I think a sports bar would be a great fit. We don't have any sports bars downtown that I'm aware of. There are a few good places to watch a game like Academica but they don't advertise it.

The foodie scene is doing great in Hamilton and keeps getting better. We want diversity in food and culture and I wouldn't see this as an affront to progress at all. I think it's good balance.

I can see why most potential bidders were turned off by the lack of washrooms within the restaurant. Too easy for people to skip out on their tab. Seriously, what was the city thinking?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 4:52 AM

I think this is great. Just the type of place to keep people downtown after work. I think it will draw more people than a $55 a steak chop house.

http://www.wendelclarks.com/index.php

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton