HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Arthaus in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 12:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffey View Post
question: why do renderings of towers from the ground angle tend to show skewed perspective. last i checked in art class, lines get closer to one another as they approach the vanishing point (in this case the sky). the top of this tower looks wider than the base.
I didn't read through the whole thread to see if this had been answered, but I'll give my answer: towers like this are drawn in 3-point perspective, which means that "the sky" is only one of three vanishing points. The other two are at the left and right of the tower, above the viewer's vantage point. So the tower looks slightly askew because the lines that are parallel to the ground (in an elevation) look to align with lines that run from the left or right vanishing points to the third, in "the sky."

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
I didn't read through the whole thread to see if this had been answered, but I'll give my answer: towers like this are drawn in 3-point perspective, which means that "the sky" is only one of three vanishing points. The other two are at the left and right of the tower, above the viewer's vantage point. So the tower looks slightly askew because the lines that are parallel to the ground (in an elevation) look to align with lines that run from the left or right vanishing points to the third, in "the sky."
That's very interesting. I like how Dranoff incorporated the multiple vanishing points into the project itself whereby the whole thing has vanished.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 10:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
That's very interesting. I like how Dranoff incorporated the multiple vanishing points into the project itself whereby the whole thing has vanished.
do you know something that no one else does, or are you spreading fake news?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
He was trying to make a joke that the whole project had fizzled, I believe.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
I have a functioning set of eyeballs. I use them to read about the project going nowhere for many years and to look at the hole where the building was supposed to be.

Do you know something that no one else does about the project moving forward or are you spreading FAKE NEWS? Sad!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I have a functioning set of eyeballs. I use them to read about the project going nowhere for many years and to look at the hole where the building was supposed to be.

Do you know something that no one else does about the project moving forward or are you spreading FAKE NEWS? Sad!

Please go back and read my " visceral sentiments " about this well planned out project in post # 718 .

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 1:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:

What fake news do you think I'm trying to spread? I'm just asking if you knew of an official statement by anyone stating that this project had died, because I haven't seen any such announcement. Just because it's taking longer than we all would like, doesn't mean it's dead.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 1:27 PM

Wow........37 pages of revised renderings, height changes, "hotel" or "condominium"? comments, start dates, gov't grant money availables, political issues, parking spaces, yadi, yadi, yadi......

Teddy Pendergrass must be rolling in his grave...

Why can't they just bury this dead horse, instead of kickin' the shit out of it?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 2:10 PM

I was just thinking the same. This dog has no hunt in it left.

Could have been, but never was.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
I was just thinking the same. This dog has no hunt in it left.

Could have been, but never was.
Agreed, but-------if for some reason they start work on this dream ship, I wouldn't complain. Its a good looking project so far, and hopefully Carl won't mess with it too much.

Some dreams die very slowly; many still talk about what could have been built at 2400 Walnut St.------Anybody still have a drawing/rendering of that beauty floating around.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 3:32 PM

Quote:
What fake news do you think I'm trying to spread? I'm just asking if you knew of an official statement by anyone stating that this project had died, because I haven't seen any such announcement. Just because it's taking longer than we all would like, doesn't mean it's dead.
No, but they have a $20MM budget hole, and the inability to get funding to cover that in all this time is a very good indication this is or will be dead.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 7:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
No, but they have a $20MM budget hole, and the inability to get funding to cover that in all this time is a very good indication this is or will be dead.
That sounds pretty low-information to me.

Last edited by skyscraper; Jul 15, 2017 at 8:13 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 9:11 PM

Quote:
That sounds pretty low-information to me.
I'm not sure what this comment is supposed to mean, but it's well-documented that they sought $20 million in public funding that was rejected. Even if they expected only half of that, they are short on funds and have been unable to make up the deficit with private investors (for whatever reason).

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 9:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I'm not sure what this comment is supposed to mean, but it's well-documented that they sought $20 million in public funding that was rejected. Even if they expected only half of that, they are short on funds and have been unable to make up the deficit with private investors (for whatever reason).
It means that people are jumping to conclusions. He sought that money because it was available. It doesn't mean that the whole project hinged on obtaining it, just that if he could get it then might as well try. He didn't get it, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have other sources of financing, or that the project might still go ahead but reduced in scope.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 1:24 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Hotel financing/investors not easy to get so every bit of public funding helps to make up the difference. My guess is that the longer we hear nothing about the project, the more likelihood the project will not happen. Just a fact that we have to accept.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
It means that people are jumping to conclusions. He sought that money because it was available. It doesn't mean that the whole project hinged on obtaining it, just that if he could get it then might as well try. He didn't get it, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have other sources of financing, or that the project might still go ahead but reduced in scope.
I would not call it jumping to conclusions. I would call it sound logical reasoning that considers known information about this project, the nature of financing and hotel projects, and many other factors. But I hope you're right. If they find a way to make it work here, I'll be happy.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 2:27 PM

Quote:
I would not call it jumping to conclusions. I would call it sound logical reasoning that considers known information about this project, the nature of financing and hotel projects, and many other factors. But I hope you're right. If they find a way to make it work here, I'll be happy.
Why is this being argued? As best as publicly known, this is the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Dranoff himself
If the RACP grant is awarded we will have sufficient funding to move forward with the project and begin construction.
https://philly.curbed.com/2017/3/21/...ruction-update

I'm sure this could be positioning, but why? What other reason would make sense as the hold up?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 3:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Why is this being argued? As best as publicly known, this is the issue.

https://philly.curbed.com/2017/3/21/...ruction-update

I'm sure this could be positioning, but why? What other reason would make sense as the hold up?
The statement is true: if they had gotten the grant, they would have enough to move forward. But what it does not say is "...and if we don't get it, the project is doomed." That is the conclusion some people seem to be jumping to. That's all I'm saying.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 6:16 PM

why would anyone assume that any developer is going to be speaking the simple, straight forward, unvarnished, truth, especially about anything to do with money and time. It almost seems that stretching the truth is a requirement, part of the application to join the developers club.

If State money hadn't been a possibility I still think this project would have been planed and announced and delayed. But since State welfare for developers is sometimes available why not try to get it, its free money.

I don't have any idea what's been going on in the clubhouse that has caused this project to never shift into drive, but if right from the start Carl really thought the only way to get this built was to have a infusion of $20M from the State, I doubt the project would have ever been made public. Receiving 5 to 10% of your overall budget in the form of a State grant for this type of project, in this location, is highly questionable. I'm alittle surprised the State even granted it $1M.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 12:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The statement is true: if they had gotten the grant, they would have enough to move forward. But what it does not say is "...and if we don't get it, the project is doomed." That is the conclusion some people seem to be jumping to. That's all I'm saying.
Dranoff has indicated repeatedly that groundbreaking is contingent on more money from the state. They have been waiting since 2015 or so for this money and the budget situation in Harrisburg makes it unlikely they will get more. So it doesn't look good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive