HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Saint Lawrence Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 6:57 PM

Drive down a street like Central or Rosedale - it's quite impressive when you look from there.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 3:43 AM

Okay I'm confused. I was doing some of my regular sleuthing and found the Saint Lawrence Place Condos website which I don't think has been shared yet;

http://slpcondos.ca/

But back on WM Fares Properties site they have these listed as apartments starting from $1200 and available on March 1st, 2014.

So is the building mixed like Southport or what is going on here?

Source : WM Fare Properties

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Okay I'm confused. I was doing some of my regular sleuthing and found the Saint Lawrence Place Condos website which I don't think has been shared yet;

http://slpcondos.ca/

But back on WM Fares Properties site they have these listed as apartments starting from $1200 and available on March 1st, 2014.

So is the building mixed like Southport or what is going on here?

Source : WM Fare Properties
Interesting, that is a new change, I check their website fairly regularly to see if there are updates on that one proposed for Mt. Royal. Sales must have been slower than expected, maybe Fares will buy a bunch and rent them while slowly attempting to sell them off a few at a time.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Interesting, that is a new change, I check their website fairly regularly to see if there are updates on that one proposed for Mt. Royal. Sales must have been slower than expected, maybe Fares will buy a bunch and rent them while slowly attempting to sell them off a few at a time.
Good to know I'm not the only one who checks a few sites regularly. I mostly check the websites with links in the development list once a week or so.

I still haven't been able to find anything on the commercial side of this development. Two months from completion and there's still nothing on office tenants for the shorter building.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 11:19 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Quote:
Good to know I'm not the only one who checks a few sites regularly. I mostly check the websites with links in the development list once a week or so.

I still haven't been able to find anything on the commercial side of this development. Two months from completion and there's still nothing on office tenants for the shorter building.
Sandra Bryant is handling the condo sales on this one!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 2:47 PM

The first four floors will be rentals. The remaining floors are condos only.

And in regards to the SLP Commercial building, WM Fares Group will be moving their office to the 5th floor from their current location on Parkland Dr in Clayton Park.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 3:16 PM

Welcome to the forums thecraftinista!

I'm quite liking the new fad in Halifax of having apartments and condos in the same building. It's a great way to ensure a balance between renting and owning and it provides more living option diversity. Here in Calgary only one apartment building has been built downtown in 40 years so people who can't/don't want to own are being kept out of the downtown core.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 6:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Welcome to the forums thecraftinista!

I'm quite liking the new fad in Halifax of having apartments and condos in the same building. It's a great way to ensure a balance between renting and owning and it provides more living option diversity. Here in Calgary only one apartment building has been built downtown in 40 years so people who can't/don't want to own are being kept out of the downtown core.

So a relatively small number of investors are renting out their units? Why is that?
If people really are being kept out of the downtown, you'd think investors would want to take advantage of those market conditions and begin renting out units because of the demand.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 7:37 PM

Here is a newer shot of SLP taken from the vantage point of the commercial building that I just posted to the SLP Condos facebook page.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
So a relatively small number of investors are renting out their units? Why is that?
If people really are being kept out of the downtown, you'd think investors would want to take advantage of those market conditions and begin renting out units because of the demand.
There are two sides to the story in dt Calgary.
The vast majority of the buildings built are condo - yes. But what is happening is owners are turning around and renting out units. The building I live in is a great example - build in the last 70's, it is a combo of rental and owner. The management company owns a number of units in a rental pool and then owners who want to rent their units out can add their units in to the rental pool and earn revenue from that (less administrative fees).

But DJ is correct; the vast majority (if not all) the new buildings in downtown are ownership. It's just that the ownership structure of the unit is different (rather than owned by a rental company like 1881 Brunswick (for example) - individual owners may rent them out instead or the condo corp creates a rental pool).

The challenge becomes the enforcement of tenancy laws and who is the landlord. If I own a unit and put it into a rental pool that Ryejay's company runs; then Ryejay's company is the landlord because through my contract to him - he's taking responsibility for the upkeep of my unit. So if DJ comes along to rent it; he pays and deals with Ryejay's company. But if I own the unit and I rent it out on my own to DJ - then he pays me; I am responsible.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 3:58 PM

2 by me, nearly complete:

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 5:25 PM
Honored Member

I love the colour scheme. This looks like a very modern although relatively basic design.

Thanks kph06 for the photo tour. It is great to see all the updates of construction sites, some of which haven't been posted in months and a couple that are new such as Icon Bay and the Irving dockyard site.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 3:51 AM

I took four pics today. See my signature for the link to my flickr page to see the others.

I do have to say how perfectly positioned this building is driving on the MacKay Bridge.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 4:16 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
I took four pics today. See my signature for the link to my flickr page to see the others.

I do have to say how perfectly positioned this building is driving on the MacKay Bridge.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7433/1...1b77f214_c.jpg

I think Saint Lawrence Place looks fantastic. I like this shot that you took - http://www.flickr.com/photos/urban_halifax/12982052053/

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 3:35 PM
hi

Thanks for the pics. I agree, this looks awesome - particularly the residential portion. I am so often unimpressed with the real results of buildings vs. proposed renderings but certainly not in this case.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 11:14 PM

See my flickr/tumblr accounts for more photos.

Photo by Dmajackson a.k.a. Urban_Halifax on flickr.com

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 12:17 PM

Noisy flooring - what is the cause?

I moved into this building one month ago. I hear constant footsteps in the unit above us.(thump thump thump) It is ridiculously loud. Why would that be? Is it due to the flooring material used?

Last edited by PFrauz; Aug 20, 2014 at 12:12 AM. Reason: wanted to

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth