HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 12:30 PM

I am from Regina and I don't think we really need a new stadium. There are much more important things to spend money on. I am not the only one who thinks this way either, all though if you read this site you wouldn't know it.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 12:44 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Bullshit?
This is NOT a provincial endavour
Agree.
Quote:
it is Regina wanting something and not wanting to pay for it....
Disagree.

Not Regina. A few vocal people in Regina. Likely not tax-paying residents.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
That's my point. If the City can leverage $1 B from a $20 M contribution, that would be an amazing feat, and most impressive (considering RRI is their initiative).
for you info.
the remaining money for the 1 bil dollar development will be thru private investment in hotels, office, condos, and retail.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Bullshit?

I am from neither city, never have been never will be.

This is NOT a provincial endavour, it is Regina wanting something and not wanting to pay for it....

The truth hurts, but Regina wants their stadium for $20 million? Get effing real.....
Easy buddy with the language. its not cool.

This is a provincial endeavor plain and simple. ie: just like the saskatchewan art gallery, childrens hospital and recent renos at CIC

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 2:15 PM

so many people tallk about how unfair it is that one city always gets so much more for projects , its not right , fair is fair

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 3:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Bullshit?

I am from neither city, never have been never will be.

This is NOT a provincial endavour, it is Regina wanting something and not wanting to pay for it....

The truth hurts, but Regina wants their stadium for $20 million? Get effing real.....
Are you in favour of them changing the name to the Regina Roughriders? Why do you think the provincial governments of Manitoba, BC, Ontario, and Quebec are all the major funding partners of their recent arena/stadium projects? Sorry Dalreg but this definiteily is a provincial endeavor, last time I checked Regina is in Saskatchewan. With your mindset anything that is built anywhere is nothing but a municipal matter. Can I ask what part of the province you live in?

That said, I think you need to get your numbers straight, Regina is contributing alot more to this project than 20mil.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 8:40 PM
The New Republic

So people in Saskatchewan would rather than everyone had nothing than build the province one project at a time? Sounds rather childish.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
So people in Saskatchewan would rather than everyone had nothing than build the province one project at a time? Sounds rather childish.
You don't know the half of it.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs
That said, I think you need to get your numbers straight, Regina is contributing alot more to this project than 20mil.
What are the exact numbers then? How much is the city contributing?

The fact that the Government of Saskatchewan appears to be sticking to a balanced budget with a razor-thin surplus may mean that there is no extra money for a stadium, unless we either have an exceptional year revenue-wise or government spending is reined in elsewhere. Perhaps the Saskatchewan Party could drop that whole thing about having a few more MLAs, it would help a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenant
I am from Regina and I don't think we really need a new stadium. There are much more important things to spend money on. I am not the only one who thinks this way either, all though if you read this site you wouldn't know it.
Mosaic Stadium is not going to stand forever. Eventually the concrete will deteriorate enough that the stadium will become structurally unsound. We have gotten good use out of the facility over 60+ years, but eventually there comes a point where putting money into costly major renovations isn't worth it, and it would be better to build new. And that point is coming soon, if it hasn't already arrived.

If your opinion is that we don't need a new stadium to replace the deteriorating one (and thus we lose a CFL team), well, you're certainly entitled to it.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 9:43 PM

The Riders will never leave Sask. Never. Biggest load of herring anyone could think up. Same junk as the Yankees flirting to leave to Charlotte many years back.. Its not happening.

Mosiac being a shell is far from the issue. The thing isn't going to collapse. Chicago and Boston have made due with 100 year old facilities quite fine, and in all honesty if anybody has been to Fenway they know its a dump compared to Mosiac and has plumbing issues and constantly leaks. I am not saying we keep Mosiac but quit sounding like little kids acting like the thing will crumble tomorrow. If Mosiac was DOA the Riders would not be pluggin 20M into the thing, if a new Stadium were in fingers reach no new money would be injected. Simple business moves.

And with the 750m-1B in private investments. Again where are the proposals? If that much money is on the line from private hands you would hear about it. I just want people to look at this issue critically, I may sound like I am against the Stadium but I am not. I just don't want my City to get bamboozled with a bad deal which will hurt it in the long run more than help. These Stadiums have bankrupted municipalities, they are no joke but are lawmakers seem to think of it as a game and hiding figures and facts from the public, its quite sad.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 10:11 PM

If, as you suggest, there is enough outrage against the possibility of the Roughriders folding or relocating outside Saskatchewan, then that may force the provincial government to open the purse strings, regardless of economic conditions.

Mosaic Stadium won't collapse right away, however the feasibility study done in 2010 indicated that a $109-million renovation would only put off a decision on replacing the stadium for another 10 to 15 years. The consultants concluded that the age of the facility is such that it would need to be replaced sooner or later.

By the way, I've been to Fenway Park for a couple of ball games. It's a historic ballpark with a ton of atmosphere, but it certainly won't win any prizes for creature comfort.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 10:14 PM
Hmm....

Ottawa's stadium was built at about the same time as Taylor Field. Very similar designs... And Ottawa's stadium is still safe and in place right? Or was it condemned and partially imploded due to structural issues? It's not as far fetched as you are making it out to be.

The 750m-1b is for the full revitalisation plan (harbour landing was also a $1 billion development, but there wasn't a huge to do with huge proposals right off the bat for that either.

Adding $88 million to the city's debt still leaves us well below Saskatoon, and our total debt ceiling will also still be well below Saskatoon. It will not bankrupt the city (that is a bit of an exaggeration on your part). If this was fully municipally funded, you'd definitely have an argument, but it's not.

And if you have forgotten, the Riders have been renting temporary bleachers for the last 4 years to increase capacity. Maybe it makes more sense economically to purchase and use them for 4-5 years while the stadium is finalised and construction is complete. They are also going to donate the stands afterwards to amateur program's throughout the province which fits well into the mandate of supporting communities. And further to that, from the sounds of it, the cost of renting the extra seats for the Grey Cup year is also included in that $14 million costing, and this would be necessary regardless of a new stadium or not. That 14 mill also includes the new screen, which I'm sure could be incorporated into te new stadium when it is completed. So contrary to you, I don't really think the $14 mill in upgrades is anything more than a temporary fix to spruce up the stadium for the short term.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 5:12 AM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
so many people tallk about how unfair it is that one city always gets so much more for projects , its not right , fair is fair
ya, why is that

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 5:14 PM

Saskatoon mayor OK with Regina's $200M stadium request
CBC News Posted: May 3, 2012 9:26 AM CST Last Updated: May 3, 2012 9:25 AM CST

Saskatoon Mayor Don Atchison says he does not begrudge Regina its request for $200 million for a new stadium.

Recently, the province ruled out — at least for now — giving Saskatoon $30 million to replace its condemned Traffic Bridge.

Earlier this week, the province confirmed its looking over a request from Regina for money for its revitalization plan, which includes a replacement for the aging Mosaic Stadium, where the Saskatchewan Roughriders play.

Atchison said that much provincial money for a Regina stadium is OK with him, as long as Regina pays the full operating costs.

All cities have their infrastructure needs, he said, but it shouldn't be a case where one community is pitted against another.

"Whatever we're asking for in Saskatoon, I would hate for another mayor in another community saying, 'Well they shouldn't have that because we need this,'" Atchison said. "And I don't think it's one over the other. Each community knows what their priorities are."

As far as the Traffic Bridge replacement goes, Atchison says, the province has told him "No today, but maybe yes tomorrow".

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 4:16 PM
Canadian Urbanite

City proposing $270+ million open air stadium at Evraz.

Existing Mosaic stadium would be demolished and plans for housing/commercial will go ahead.

Existing CP yards to be redeveloped for residential/commercial.

Amazing. Best scenario right here, in my opinion. Hope this is the one that goes ahead.

http://www.leaderpost.com/news/6566971/story.html

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 4:37 PM

The LP article is stating "The plan also includes redeveloping 17.5 of the 33 acres on the current CP rail yards on Dewdney Avenue for commercial, residential and retail space as well as building a new residential area on the site of the current Mosaic Stadium."

What is the plan for the other half of the CP lands as they only indicate development of half those lands. I was in favour of the dome (closed or retractable) at the CP site but now that it appears we will get a pimped up Mosaic it is certainly better placed at Evraz Place. Now boys lets get on with it !!!!

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 4:39 PM

Here is a link to more info on the city webiste

http://www.regina.ca/residents/rri/index.htm

I also think this is the best idea! In the link it talks about haveing pedestrian walk ways from the warehouse district to the downtown, which will i think will generate alot more activity between the 2 areas. And with the stadium being open air and at evraz place, this could maybe lead to the possibility of a major expansion of the brand center or a whole new building to accomdate the indoor events? Which would make the area a great sports hub for the city

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 5:19 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
Here is a link to more info on the city webiste

http://www.regina.ca/residents/rri/index.htm

I also think this is the best idea! In the link it talks about haveing pedestrian walk ways from the warehouse district to the downtown, which will i think will generate alot more activity between the 2 areas. And with the stadium being open air and at evraz place, this could maybe lead to the possibility of a major expansion of the brand center or a whole new building to accomdate the indoor events? Which would make the area a great sports hub for the city
Thanks for the link but, unless I am completely missing something, I still can't see what the remaining 17.5 acres of CP land is going to be used for.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 5:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by boborider View Post
Thanks for the link but, unless I am completely missing something, I still can't see what the remaining 17.5 acres of CP land is going to be used for.
They will probably just sell it to private developers I am guessing.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 5:38 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boborider View Post
I can't see either... They are touting residential and commercial, but if I were looking for a place to live, I'm not going to choose somewhere right beside a mainline and adjacent to some sort of actual rail activities ( not sure what CP is still going to be using the other 15.5 acres for).

And if we are getting a 280m facility, there definitely won't be funds for a Brandt centre expansion or replacement for at least 25 years (so say goodbye to Regina's chances of hosting any big arena tours anytime soon).

Also, if the build the stadium at Evraz, they might want to consider building an underpass under the rail line crossing elphinstone, because if a train comes at the wrong time, traffic (both foot and vehicular) is going to be a cluster-f*ck. I also think they need to build some sort of pathway/green space along the north side of the rail line from downtown to the stadium to give some pedestrians a safe way to walk there (for people who stay in downtown hotels for the games or people who park there).

Also, I think if we are going outdoor (cheaper than indoor) we should go a bit bigger than 33k. I'm thinking in the 35k range with the ability to expand to 55k for the Grey Cup. If we're are going to sped this kind of money, we may as well make sure that it lasts and remains useful/the right size to serve the needs.

Anyway, those are my opinions on it (not all were applicable to your post).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan