HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 9:59 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
piece hot doug's atomic w/ giard + dysfunctionale = unrelenting perfection in your mouth!

seriously, if anyone reading this post ever finds themself in chicago, go get the above.

you will not be disappointed.

unless you don't like flavor.
wait i thought hot dougs was gone. i remember standing in a blizzard halfway around the block with eric wareheim (not with with) tryina get in there.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 10:05 PM
devout Pizzatarian

hot doug's the restuarant is gone.

hot doug the man (doug sohn) still exists.

and he still makes his atomic sausage for piece.

or at least he has given them the recipe for it along with licensing his name to them (i can't vouch that doug himself still makes the sausage piece uses on its pies with his own hands).

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
hot doug's the restuarant is gone.

hot doug the man (doug sohn) still exists.

and he still makes his atomic sausage for piece.

or at least he has given them the recipe for it along with licensing his name to them (i can't vouch that doug himself still makes the sausage piece uses on its pies with his own hands).
o rly. i'll have to check that out...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 11:33 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post

careful -- unlike beer, where its easy to make, everyone is in on the trend and every podunk brewery has at least one decent beer, you could count the number of good usa wineries on your hand.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 1:11 AM
Beer Stampede

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Now if only the IPA trend who die a quick death.

C'mon!! What's wrong with IPAs?? That's one of my favorites!!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 1:13 AM
Beer Stampede

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Beer is an inferior product.

As I await for the drone strike on my residence, I'll say this... wine is better.

In fact... Whiskey > Wine > Chocolate milk > Beer

Wine is elegant, sophisticated, full of class. Beer is just average.

Whiskey is medicine.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 4:37 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcexpress69 View Post
What's wrong with IPAs??
not a damn thing.

some people just find them too bitter for their palate.

i praise Pizza God everyday for the fact that i am not one of those unfortunate people.

i love beer. IPA is one of my favorite styles, but i like all of it.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 4:44 PM
sick transit, gloria

There's a relatively high percentage of bad IPAs due to the use of hops to hide imperfections, but that shouldn't discount the style. I do find that a lot of people who dislike traditional west coast IPA enjoy the Vermont / New England style which is more juicy than hoppy.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 6:13 PM

Quote:
not a damn thing.

False. The problem with IPAs are not the bitterness but their ubiquity at the expense of other styles. People don't like walking into a pub only to find that three quarters of the beers on tap are IPAs. Because every brewery just has to brew an imperial IPA, a session IPA, a seasonal IPA, a New England IPA (which I actually don't mind), and whatever other trendy IPA styles I am missing.

I'd like to see more German styles of beer, which I'll acknowledge are more difficult to brew. But it would be nice for malt to be as celebrated as hops.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
False. The problem with IPAs are not the bitterness but their ubiquity at the expense of other styles. People don't like walking into a pub only to find that three quarters of the beers on tap are IPAs. Because every brewery just has to brew an imperial IPA, a session IPA, a seasonal IPA, a New England IPA (which I actually don't mind), and whatever other trendy IPA styles I am missing.
how many breweries does philadelphia have? i remember when i was really into visiting breweries across the US in the mid-late 00s and philadelphia was sort of the east coast avante-garde (at least among the large cities) with regards to craft breweries. it was specifically a stop of mine around 2007 when i was checking out the portland/norcal/colorado/minneapolis-wisco brewing scene. it really felt like it was carrying the east coast. these were sophisticated breweries, not typical 1st or 2nd wave spots.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 6:19 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
False.
ok, dwight.

how is what i said false?

by far, the most common complaint i hear from people who don't like IPA's is "damn, that's WAY too bitter. how can you drink that shit?"

Quote:
People don't like walking into a pub only to find that three quarters of the beers on tap are IPAs.
did you just step out of a time machine from 2010?

or maybe chicago bars are more advanced than philly bars?

here's the current draft line-up of one of my favorite local brew-pubs here in chicago (OIB):

Della – Kölsch

InaugurALE – Kölsch

Brutale SMaSH – Brut Pale Ale

Beezer – DDH IPA

Shower Thoughts – Double DDH IPA

Scentinel – IPA

Interpretation of Vanity – White Milk Stout

Barrel-Aged Rat Pack Quad – Barrel-Aged Belgian Quad

Slam Dunkel – Munich Dunkel Lager

Precinct – Milk Stout

Krampus Cookies – Milk Stout

3 out of 11 (27%) are in the IPA family. That doesn't seem excessive to me.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 22, 2019 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:03 PM

Quote:
ok, dwight.

how is what i said false?
LOL. I was half kidding. People don't like IPAs because of the bitterness. But that dislike often morphs into hatred because of how that style has dominated taps. Obviously when I said three quarters, I was exaggerating. Notwithstanding, it's a very prevalent style.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:07 PM
Dryer lint inspector

9 out of 10 Chad's choose IPA's.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:10 PM

Would be interested to see the numbers of the front range as a whole (Ft Collins to CO Springs), either way, this thread just makes me want to travel to these cities and check out all the breweries!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:

by far, the most common complaint i hear from people who don't like IPA's is "damn, that's WAY too bitter. how can you drink that shit?"

I like the taste of IPAs, but hate the intense headache I get from drinking them.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
how many breweries does philadelphia have? i remember when i was really into visiting breweries across the US in the mid-late 00s and philadelphia was sort of the east coast avante-garde (at least among the large cities) with regards to craft breweries. it was specifically a stop of mine around 2007 when i was checking out the portland/norcal/colorado/minneapolis-wisco brewing scene. it really felt like it was carrying the east coast. these were sophisticated breweries, not typical 1st or 2nd wave spots.
I think it's a good scene but I'm not an expert. Philadelphia doesn't have a ton of breweries. It's probably middle of the pack. I enjoy Troegs, Victory, Yards, and Sly Fox. But I feel like we had a great beer-bar scene for a long time, to the point where you have to go to a real dumpy dive to NOT find a decent selection of craft beer on tap (which I get is probably true of many cities today). And of course, we have the legendary Monk's Cafe!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:12 PM

I will never understand the obsessive cult of beer culture, it's a pretty lame beverage and getting drunk is overrated.

Everybody and their mother/uncle/2nd cousin has ten breweries right now, none of you are special.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
LOL. I was half kidding. People don't like IPAs because of the bitterness. But that dislike often morphs into hatred because of how that style has dominated taps. Obviously when I said three quarters, I was exaggerating. Notwithstanding, it's a very prevalent style.
from my perspective, the IPA wave crashed years ago.

yes, it's still a prevalent style (and growing and changing in exciting new ways) because it's so delicious, but every craft brewery i'm familiar with has branched out far beyond IPA's by now.

i believe the special disdain many seem to hold for IPA primarily stems from jealousy. here's this really popular style of beer that millions of drinkers flock to and sing its praises night and day, and they can't partake in it because they find it too bitter. of course that's gonna breed resentment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I will never understand the obsessive cult of beer culture, it's a pretty lame beverage and getting drunk is overrated.
the best part of beer culture is that it's the easiest alcoholic beverage to not get drunk on.

one typically has to be a lot more careful with wine/spirits if you don't want to over indulge.

beer is the perfect beverage to have one or two of after a day's work and you're still fully in control.

it's the pinnacle "dad" drink; you can drink around your kids without becoming sloppy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post

Everybody and their mother/uncle/2nd cousin has ten breweries right now, none of you are special.
well duh. and such has already been stated in this thread several times now.

chicago isn't special for having the most breweries; this development is only noteworthy because it was a bit unexpected.

exactly zero people in 2009 would have predicted that chicago would have the most breweries out of all US cities by 2019.

in the end it doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot because all major US cities (and the minor ones too, and even little podunk towns) are now utterly awash in breweries.

what a time to be alive! thank you Pizza God!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 22, 2019 at 8:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:33 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I think many people flock to IPA's (and now New England IPA's) because they're currently the 'it' beer and it's an arms race to who can be the hoppiest. Meanwhile, much better beer is overlooked...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:34 PM

Quote:
not a damn thing.

i praise Pizza God everyday for the fact that i am not one of those unfortunate people.

i love beer. IPA is one of my favorite styles, but i like all of it.
IPA's are great.

I've been drinking them long before it got big. I've never understood any love for Bud at all. That is disgusting, disgusting stuff.

I like Belgian beer as much as IPA's though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions