HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 9:00 PM
Still optimistic

I seem to always be the first to do this so:

Welcome to SSP!!!

WHooHoooooo!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 12:25 AM

Are you that "fruity" in real life?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 3:48 PM

I don't want to derail this thread (we should make a "talk about condo purchasing" thread), but you should browse through the other threads in this forum including the general development thread to get a feel for whats out there.

There are lots of good units in the Hudson II which is an amazing location in center town and a great builder there may be a couple units left in the Mondrain. There are also lots of great units from recently completed projects on MLS.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 4:10 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
Are you that "fruity" in real life?
Only when I forget my Ritaline!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 7:58 PM

I might be dreaming, and wake up to find that none of this really happened, but apparently Council approved this project by a vote of 7-1 (dissenting vote from Clive Doucet -- even Diane Holmes voted yes!!). In the same session, they also approved the 3-storey infill proposal in New Edinburgh. Like I said, this might all turn out to be a cruel dream but for now I'm celebrating.

Citizen story:
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...b108a4&k=41078

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 8:18 PM

Sweet! Cya's at the Thursday launch!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 8:45 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen j View Post
I might be dreaming, and wake up to find that none of this really happened, but apparently Council approved this project by a vote of 7-1 (dissenting vote from Clive Doucet -- even Diane Holmes voted yes!!). In the same session, they also approved the 3-storey infill proposal in New Edinburgh. Like I said, this might all turn out to be a cruel dream but for now I'm celebrating.

Citizen story:
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...b108a4&k=41078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
The residents were opposed to the development at Stanley Avenue and Queen Victoria Street because they felt the three-storey project is too high and too dense for the area. The heritage and architecture folks were opposed to the Larco Homes project because they didn't think the building fit in with the surrounding heritage of the neighbourhood
Three storeys too high? wtf?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 9:24 PM

^Yeah, exactly. Far better to preserve a 1960s bungalow, I suppose, since it so obviously "fit in with the surrounding heritage of the neighbourhood". At least that's what I thought when I saw a mid-century suburban tract house dropped as if from space into a Victorian neighbourhood.

To hijack an expression from Hemingway, heritage issues are a moveable feast... in the sense that "heritage" seems a remarkably flexible little set of issues used as NIMBY code for "Don't build anything else here. Period. Who cares how architecturally sensitive or 'sustainable' it is. We don't like it. We fear change. We still haven't even learned how to read the temperature in Metric. Go away!"

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 11:16 PM
Still optimistic

A good thing evoluiton isn't on these people's shoulders!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 3:01 PM

...planning committee has approved the project

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 8:37 PM
Mooderator

Snapped this pic of the billboard today as I was walking by...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 8:42 PM

I think even the banner is an improvement over the what is currently on that site. I'm all for herritage buildings but that church is a piece of crap.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 1:37 PM

All of the floorplans are now available at Central's website (http://www.centralcondominiums.com/). There are some really interesting designs, much different from what they offer at Mondrian. I'm interested to see the prices. I'll take some pictures of the model tonight.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 3:46 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
All of the floorplans are now available at Central's website (http://www.centralcondominiums.com/). There are some really interesting designs, much different from what they offer at Mondrian. I'm interested to see the prices. I'll take some pictures of the model tonight.
I don't see them...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 9:02 PM
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
I don't see them...
Got to the top of the page there the tabs are

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
If anyone is able to take some pictures/get pricing info tonight that would be great. I was hoping to make an appointment this weekend to visit, but am too busy with work. Thanks

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 12:33 AM

It was a madhouse! Probably 300ish people, I was about 1/3 at the front of the line and by the time I got to the sales center there were already about 20+ red dots up on the board and a large line of people waiting to write some cheques.

Slightly pricier than I would have expected, tons of really small units. Let me know if you want specifics i grabbed the info packet.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 12:39 AM
you know my steez

I really hope this means Urban Capital will step up their operations in Ottawa...their designs are miles ahead of any other builder (with the exception of Charlesfort and maybe Routeburn).

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 1:11 AM

Well, the exteriors of their buildings are nice, but to be honest some of the interiors leave a bit to be desired.

Firstly there were some really small units. Maybe for people who are rich and only stay in Ottawa when here on business it would work, for but most people the amount of cash you spit out is double what you play in rent for a condo 2/3rds the size just doesn't make sense. I wonder how many people are buying up these tiny units paying far more than they would in rent thinking they are making some kind of "investment."

Plus there some weird design choices. The smallness extends into wasted spaces in hallways, dens sheltered from any natural light, and "second bedrooms" that shrink the main unit space to the point where your living/dining room is cramped. Honestly there were only a few designs in this building I would consider and I found that kinda disappointing. At the price/squarefoot they were asking you can find units with better layouts at Clairidge plaza, and ones that blow it out of the water at the Continental.

At the same time there were a lot of units with really nice, extremely large terraces. The 2 story units and "lofthouses" were also laid out really well.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawade View Post
It was a madhouse! Probably 300ish people, I was about 1/3 at the front of the line and by the time I got to the sales center there were already about 20+ red dots up on the board and a large line of people waiting to write some cheques.

Slightly pricier than I would have expected, tons of really small units. Let me know if you want specifics i grabbed the info packet.
What I have trouble understanding is why people are in such a rush to commit their money to something that's years from being built, when they could buy something very similar (even by the same developer if they want) on the resale market today. I guess it's good for the developer, if they can find these people to bankroll their project...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa