HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Beirut were AMAZING.
Agreed

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 2:41 PM

I kind of feel they should change the rules for seating. People who are excited and want to stand should be at the front. People with chairs should be next and the big ass tarps with one guy laying on it saving a spot for a show in three hours should be at the back. I feel embarrassed when a group performs and has to work to get people to show some excitement. That part is lame about the folkfest in my opinion.

How was Iron and Wine last night?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 12:32 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonb View Post
How was Iron and Wine last night?
I hate to say this, but... weak. Boring. The whole Sunday night mainstage is one I'm considering skipping from now on. And I love Iron and Wine.

Sam did The Trapeze Swinger third and then brought his shitty band out (featuring my most hated musical instrument, the flute). I should have left then.

But I was really, really happy with Folk Fest this year- so much so I'd say the experience in toto was the best I've had in the 12 I've attended now. I just didn't like a lot of the mainstage. http://jfmanzo.wordpress.com/2012/07...festival-2012/

One thing I don't mention in my blog is what a great comedy (yes, comedy) set Kevin McDonald (of KITH) did at the new Apache Talk Tent. I hope this becomes a regular feature because it was a nice thing to escape to.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 2:30 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Did Randy Newman sing about things he saw?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 5:31 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Did Randy Newman sing about things he saw?
LOL! I didn't pay attention but I was hoping that instead of Randy Newman we'd get Fred Armisen (who was, folks might recall, at the first Sled Island).

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 6:09 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Fun fact, Bruce Dickinson took one of the Buffalo Airways DC-3's for a few flights the day after their show in Edmonton. It will be in the next season of Ice Pilots.
Awesome!

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 8:35 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Union Events Cemetary of Sound 2012 feat. Tiesto.

This one should be a MASSIVE event. Really looking forward to it.

http://unionevents.com/shows/view/32...nd-2012-tiesto

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Steve Angello last night

Video Link
You weren't too far away from where I was, probably just a couple meters max. I was at the very front almost dead center, then drifted back to just about where you were taking that video.

Best part of the show was when he had everyone get down on their knees for the remainder of the breakdown, then jump right back up at the drop of the beat... haven't found a recording of it yet, but to have 2500+ people do that all simultaneously, would've been a pretty impressive sight to see.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Union Events Cemetary of Sound 2012 feat. Tiesto.

This one should be a MASSIVE event. Really looking forward to it.

http://unionevents.com/shows/view/32...nd-2012-tiesto
kind of a random question but are you affiliated with any of the edm promotional groups in the region at all?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 6:45 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
kind of a random question but are you affiliated with any of the edm promotional groups in the region at all?
Affiliated on a professional level no. But I am good friends with a number of local promoters and DJs. I have been big on the EDM scene for over a decade, did a little promotion between 2000-2003. Now I just like to dance my ass off.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 7:18 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Quote:
Affiliated on a professional level no. But I am good friends with a number of local promoters and DJs. I have been big on the EDM scene for over a decade, did a little promotion between 2000-2003. Now I just like to dance my ass off.
He also spins a wicked set!

When are you going to put out another mix?

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 7:48 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
He also spins a wicked set!

When are you going to put out another mix?
Thanks Full Mountain!!

It had been a while since I have recorded a set. I have been having some technical issues with some of my equipment so I haven't been recording. But I am playing a party on the 18th so hopefully I can record!

Edit. I will see if I can upload one of my older sets for some flashback fun!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 8:43 PM
Here and There

The show was definitely good.

Quote:
You weren't too far away from where I was, probably just a couple meters max. I was at the very front almost dead center, then drifted back to just about where you were taking that video.

Best part of the show was when he had everyone get down on their knees for the remainder of the breakdown, then jump right back up at the drop of the beat... haven't found a recording of it yet, but to have 2500+ people do that all simultaneously, would've been a pretty impressive sight to see.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks Full Mountain!!

It had been a while since I have recorded a set. I have been having some technical issues with some of my equipment so I haven't been recording. But I am playing a party on the 18th so hopefully I can record!

Edit. I will see if I can upload one of my older sets for some flashback fun!
Interesting haha! I was kinda getting the hint that you might've been a higher up in promotions... or DJ . I happen to DJ as well, in fact I had a gig just last night at The Bank. Opening slot so it wasn't anything too special by any means, but a couple more coming up this month.....
Whats your alias? What do you like to spin/listen to mostly? What does your set consist of?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 3:41 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Interesting haha! I was kinda getting the hint that you might've been a higher up in promotions... or DJ . I happen to DJ as well, in fact I had a gig just last night at The Bank. Opening slot so it wasn't anything too special by any means, but a couple more coming up this month.....
Whats your alias? What do you like to spin/listen to mostly? What does your set consist of?
Promotion is very cool. Lots of work for sure. I have a girlfriend who is a promoter at Giant in LA. Now that's a gig. She meets EVERYONE but works her sweet little ass off! It's a fulltime job, day and nice.

Surprise, surprise, I go by Innersoul. Here is a link to an older mix, nothing mind blowing. Big on trance and progressive house. Experimenting with Dub-step but it's not really my thing. Did a mix last night, not sure how I feel about it.

http://soundcloud.com/innersoul/soul...e-2011-schools

Last edited by Innersoul1; Aug 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM. Reason: Stuff added

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Promotion is very cool. Lots of work for sure. I have a girlfriend who is a promoter at Giant in LA. Now that's a gig. She meets EVERYONE but works her sweet little ass off! It's a fulltime job, day and nice.

Surprise, surprise, I go by Innersoul. Here is a link to an older mix, nothing mind blowing. Big on trance and progressive house. Experimenting with Dub-step but it's not really my thing. Did a mix last night, not sure how I feel about it.

http://soundcloud.com/innersoul/soul...e-2011-schools
Nice nice man! I definitely feel you there, I remember listening to "outta my life" waaaay back when and that sorta kick-started my obsession with edm, that track brings back a lot of memories haha. Of course I go back further than that with all the "techno" and eurodance hits that came out and caught my attention but I didn't really get into the DJing aspect of it until the "dmau5 craze" came around in 06-07...

Oh yeah definitely a job like that out in LA is a GOLDMINE for perks, don't get me wrong though promoting as itself is a very decent gig, just where the demand is not so far up to par as the supply goes, it makes it much harder to enjoy and be successful...

I like your style though man, definitely stands out from the kids these days right out of high school owning headlining slots and just dropping big room electro/progressive same sounding crap. I love my progressive man, not what progressive is TODAY, but what progressive used to be... In fact 97% of my entire collection is composed of what progressive used to be, and thats what my set was all about last night.... it's nice to run into someone with similar taste knowing that atleast SOME people out there are not listening to and promoting garbage music

Just a little bit of shameless self-promotion you'll find the sounds are VERY similar! Danish at your service

http://www.soundcloud.com/danishhh
http://www.soundcloud.com/danishh

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 4:13 PM
Here and There

Huge fan of progressive as well in the right venue.....and deep if I am relaxing and designing at home.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Huge fan of progressive as well in the right venue.....and deep if I am relaxing and designing at home.
QFT

Progressive basically any day, any time of day doesn't matter.... but usually when I'm at home I have my deep/minimal/techno/tech going. Not a lot of people realize it, but EDM is not all banging drug raged zombie music, a lot of it is actually very beautiful, emotionally and personally enlightening feel good music, no drugs needed.
I absolutely love driving on a gorgeous sunny day, all windows down sunroof open, blasting my progressive. Just cause we live in Calgary doesn't mean we can't live like Californians

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 5:48 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Nice nice man! I definitely feel you there, I remember listening to "outta my life" waaaay back when and that sorta kick-started my obsession with edm, that track brings back a lot of memories haha. Of course I go back further than that with all the "techno" and eurodance hits that came out and caught my attention but I didn't really get into the DJing aspect of it until the "dmau5 craze" came around in 06-07...

Oh yeah definitely a job like that out in LA is a GOLDMINE for perks, don't get me wrong though promoting as itself is a very decent gig, just where the demand is not so far up to par as the supply goes, it makes it much harder to enjoy and be successful...

I like your style though man, definitely stands out from the kids these days right out of high school owning headlining slots and just dropping big room electro/progressive same sounding crap. I love my progressive man, not what progressive is TODAY, but what progressive used to be... In fact 97% of my entire collection is composed of what progressive used to be, and thats what my set was all about last night.... it's nice to run into someone with similar taste knowing that atleast SOME people out there are not listening to and promoting garbage music

Just a little bit of shameless self-promotion you'll find the sounds are VERY similar! Danish at your service

http://www.soundcloud.com/danishhh
http://www.soundcloud.com/danishh
I remember listening to bootlegged tapes in the 90s from raves in the UK. Went on a bit of a tour in '99. Did a Creamfields and Gatecrasher party in Australia which lead me to the real Gatecrasher in the UK. Hence me being so hard into trance. I love progressive and true progressive is quite hard to find (I find). On Beatport for example much of the progressive is far more trancey or too housey. You should check out Max Graham's Transport 4 compilation. One of my favourite progressive CD mixes out there! By the By. My friend in the UK just did a mix of all Max Graham tracks. Below is the link:
http://soundcloud.com/richcartwright...ght-max-graham

I am glad that you dig my style. I have a tendency of playing tracks out. So a relatively long mix is made of few tracks. It allows for appreciation of the tracks themselves as they are meant to be heard by the producer. However, it is a style that doesn't translate well into the club. Your electro mix is a good example of a club mix in that it is short but features a number of tracks. It's quite good too. If I am in the right mood electro really kicks ass and some of the remixes are amazing. Love to throw an electro track in there.

I also find that the "thing" to do these days is to just drop track after track nothing but breakdowns. It kills me!

Dude I have been listening to your prog mix. Solid Gold! Really well done!

Quote:
QFT

Progressive basically any day, any time of day doesn't matter.... but usually when I'm at home I have my deep/minimal/techno/tech going. Not a lot of people realize it, but EDM is not all banging drug raged zombie music, a lot of it is actually very beautiful, emotionally and personally enlightening feel good music, no drugs needed.
I absolutely love driving on a gorgeous sunny day, all windows down sunroof open, blasting my progressive. Just cause we live in Calgary doesn't mean we can't live like Californians
You got it there man! Spot on! I think of so many trance tracks from back in the day that have those qualities. The best part for me is that you have to wait for it in track itself as it build up to that epic moment!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 1:42 AM

Quote:
I remember listening to bootlegged tapes in the 90s from raves in the UK. Went on a bit of a tour in '99. Did a Creamfields and Gatecrasher party in Australia which lead me to the real Gatecrasher in the UK. Hence me being so hard into trance. I love progressive and true progressive is quite hard to find (I find). On Beatport for example much of the progressive is far more trancey or too housey. You should check out Max Graham's Transport 4 compilation. One of my favourite progressive CD mixes out there! By the By. My friend in the UK just did a mix of all Max Graham tracks. Below is the link:
http://soundcloud.com/richcartwright...ght-max-graham

I am glad that you dig my style. I have a tendency of playing tracks out. So a relatively long mix is made of few tracks. It allows for appreciation of the tracks themselves as they are meant to be heard by the producer. However, it is a style that doesn't translate well into the club. Your electro mix is a good example of a club mix in that it is short but features a number of tracks. It's quite good too. If I am in the right mood electro really kicks ass and some of the remixes are amazing. Love to throw an electro track in there.

I also find that the "thing" to do these days is to just drop track after track nothing but breakdowns. It kills me!

Dude I have been listening to your prog mix. Solid Gold! Really well done!

You got it there man! Spot on! I think of so many trance tracks from back in the day that have those qualities. The best part for me is that you have to wait for it in track itself as it build up to that epic moment!
Man it's only been my dream to attend one of those legendary festivals! No matter how popular these new North American festivals are getting, they won't ever compare to the energy and excitement that the creamfields, sensations, and nature ones of the world ever did. I hope it's lined up for me somewhere along in the next upcoming years that I get to attend one of these festivals sigh.... one day.

Ohhh definitely man! That's how tracks should be played and mixed always! It REALLY takes away from the entirety of the track if its done opposite.... those are for the LMFAO/black eyed peas/david guetta crowd as I like to call

What happened to edm? It used to be all about progression to build ups to break downs to the drop.... now it's pretty much breakdown to breakdown like you said.... makes the show tiring and annoyingly repetitive... those types of djs should feel ashamed!

I'll always be true and loyal to the real PROG HOUSE that I fell in love with, not what dominates the beatport charts currently....

Honestly man that means a lot to me.... I'm always looking for feedback on what I do, good or bad, I always want to know on what I could be improving on, but that definitely tells me I'm doing something right atleast, thanks man. Really glad you enjoy it, I'll definitely be making more like it! Thanks again!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation