HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 4:17 AM

Trinity Place II - 8th and Mission Sts. - Today, Feb. 22, 2012

The reinforcement columns are rising above ground level. Trinity I is in the background. I would have thought steel beams would be used - looks like reinforced concrete.

Trinity Place_02-22-2012 (2) by Apollo's Light, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 5:18 AM

55 9th

Does anyone know the latest on 55 9th st? I think new designs are supposed to be presented to the planning commission this week.

There are a couple renderings on: http://www.cfdarchitecture.com/CFD_A...th_Street.html, but I don't know enough history to know if those are current.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
The reinforcement columns are rising above ground level. Trinity I is in the background. I would have thought steel beams would be used - looks like reinforced concrete.

Trinity Place_02-22-2012 (2) by Apollo's Light, on Flickr
Steel structures appear to be very rare in SF. Most new construction is reinforced masonry.

So exciting to see this one rising, thanks for the update!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm View Post
Does anyone know the latest on 55 9th st? I think new designs are supposed to be presented to the planning commission this week.

There are a couple renderings on: http://www.cfdarchitecture.com/CFD_A...th_Street.html, but I don't know enough history to know if those are current.
JBM - of interest, the property next door to 55-9th Street is empty as the California State Compensation Insurance Fund has vacated the 16 story office building (1275 Market St.) and has it's headquarters eleswhere.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 8:49 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the photo update, Jerry. I never get by there anymore and really appreciate seeing the latest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Steel structures appear to be very rare in SF. Most new construction is reinforced masonry.
The Financial District is a sea of steel, which is used in office buildings. Most recent construction has been residential, which is usually reinforced concrete. When office towers start rising again, you'll see plenty of steel.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 9:00 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm View Post

Thanks for that bit of news about planning review this week -- I've been curious about that one too. The rendering on that page looks like the latest I've seen.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post

The Financial District is a sea of steel, which is used in office buildings. Most recent construction has been residential, which is usually reinforced concrete. When office towers start rising again, you'll see plenty of steel.
Exactly!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 12:38 AM

55-9th Street

The San Francisco Planning Commission has this item on it's calendar, February 23, 2012:

55 9TH STREET - Informational item - Regarding the current design and program for the 55 9th Street project, (Case Nos. 2006.1248CKVX and 2011.0089CVX).

The link to the site: http://www.sfplanning.org/index.aspx?page=3042

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 2:16 AM

Another tidbit on 55 Ninth according to the Central Market Partnership:

Quote:
Avalon Housing plans to build 273 rental units and 5000 sq feet of retail space at 55 Ninth St. They have completed their entitlements and plan to start construction in 2013.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 8:12 PM

55 9th Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesweeper View Post
Another tidbit on 55 Ninth according to the Central Market Partnership:
Thanks minesweeper for the info. I look forward to seeing the construction next year from my window. The new building will add to my view without blocking the nice views. It should make the neighborhood much more vibrant.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 7:39 PM

Another small boost for Mid-Market

ACT to revive Mid-Market's old Strand Theatre
Stephanie M. Lee, February 29, 2012, SFGate.com

Quote:
After languishing in intermission for years, the nearly century-old Strand Theatre in downtown San Francisco is poised to re-enter the spotlight.

And spectators hope the rest of Mid-Market will follow suit.

On Tuesday, the American Conservatory Theater bought the vacant, deteriorating building, which opened in 1917. The local performing arts company had been seeking a second stage to complement its theater nearby on Geary Street.

The 800-seat Strand has lived through multiple incarnations - first as a cinema, then an adult theater - before closing around 2006. Now, ACT plans to revive it as a 300-seat venue.
From the press release:

Quote:
Current plans for the Strand include a 300-seat theater, a mixed-use space for classrooms, rehearsals, and cabaret performances, and a small restaurant. A.C.T. is planning to launch a capital campaign later this year to raise the funds needed for the renovation. Renovation will begin in spring of 2013 with a target opening date in late fall of 2014.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 4:07 AM

curbed also had a little update on the Grant Building at 7th x market:

There wasn't much activity for a while, but then in September 2011 the project went back before the HPC when the architects added two new sets of egress stairs on the exterior. Once again, it was approved no problem. But that's the latest activity, and unfortunately no building permits have been filed as of yet. Who knows when construction will actually start. The 1095 Market website is woefully unhelpful. We'll let you know if we hear of any developments.

http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2012/0..._on_market.php

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 8:30 PM

10th and Market - Crane #2 Installed - Not for the Faint of Heart!

View from my balcony.

This weekend a 2nd crane was installed on the job site for the 10th & Market Sts. development. I now have a full view of the 2nd crane. Also a couple of days ago an all night concrete pour was done for the foundation at the corner of Market & 10th Sts.

The 4.0 quake woke me up this morning, the stongest I've felt in many years. I'm on the 27th floor of the Archstone Fox Plaza. I sleep in an antique Chinese bed that does not have springs in it, just a foam mattress. I could feel the up and down motion in the building and hear the steel beams squeaking.

10th & Market March 4, 2012

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 6:07 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
The 4.0 quake woke me up this morning, the stongest I've felt in many years. I'm on the 27th floor of the Archstone Fox Plaza. I sleep in an antique Chinese bed that does not have springs in it, just a foam mattress. I could feel the up and down motion in the building and hear the steel beams squeaking.
Yes, it was a bizarre up-and-down motion. Glad it was short.

Cool pic.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 8:10 PM

Some nice infill for Hayes Valley/Civic Center:

Source: http://www.archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=5905

Quote:
400 Grove Street

San Francisco

Scheduled for completion in 2015, this mixed-use project occupies a key position along Octavia Boulevard and will help to set the tone for this emerging neighborhood. On the ground floor are a restaurant and retail shops, and the four floors above contain 34 luxury condos. A central courtyard gives all units the benefit of southern exposure. The wave-inspired street façade creates an energetic street presence for the building and variety among the units.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 8:11 PM

Thanks for the photo Jerry! Looking good.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 8:16 PM

this city doesn't need any more condos. build apartments.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 3:14 AM
testify

holy smoke, that hayes valley infill looks amazing, i'd LOVE to see that get built. especially considering that we're looking at ground floor retail space! the hayes valley just keeps getting better. almost time to start taking bets on how long it is before we see gough and franklin calmed. the only thing is the 2015 occupancy, which is ludicrous, as usual owing to sf's insane development process (you want to know why people only built condos at this scale? because it's the only thing that will return on investment in this fucking city).

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=400+gr...ZHBaxXDdFP9BLg

speaking of rental apartments, however, if people want a really good laugh, look up trinity apartments on yelp. right up there with danny's for the worst, most laughter-inducing reviews of a going business.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 6:03 AM

Some news from the Wall Street Journal

New Call by Developer on Historic Tower

By THERESE POLETTI
March 7, 2012

Quote:
A historic skyscraper in downtown San Francisco, the Pacific Telephone & Telegraph building, empty for almost six years, is about to become a hub of construction activity as a $50 million-plus modernization project begins.

The building's owner, developer Wilson Meany Sullivan, is doing a major seismic retrofit and renovation of the 26-floor Art Deco icon at 140 New Montgomery St. in the South of Market neighborhood.

The rehabilitation will include making the skyscraper more resistant to earthquakes and upgrading its 280,000 square feet of available office space to house potential tech start-ups, venture-capital firms and others.
The article says that the building should be ready by summer of 2013.

EDIT: The building has a Twitter account: https://twitter.com/140nm

Last edited by minesweeper; Mar 8, 2012 at 6:24 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hruski View Post
this city doesn't need any more condos. build apartments.
The building is great modern design for sure, but I also did a double take of sorts. Rentals, please!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations