HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 8:35 PM

I was paying $120/month to park downtown in the early 90's while renting a place in Edgemont and I thought that was too much. I made a choice after that to buy a place closer to downtown (10k) with the plan to start biking to work.
The money I saved over the years on parking, gas and insurance helped me pay off my mortgage alot quicker with the added benefits of getting regular exercise and reducing my ecological footprint.

My point is, like mike was imagining about paying off debts quicker, is that alternatives can present opportunities.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 9:03 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Boris: all I can say about your comments is, if you stick to the same opinion over the next 20 years as your lifestyle inevitably changes, I'll have a ton of respect for you, man.

Shit, now I have to lurk on these forums FOREVER just to see how this turns out.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
I'm with you man, I got rid of my car a year ago and I couldn't be happier with the $3-500 a month I save as a result. The only time I miss it is when I need to go to the grocery store, or when I need to run to Wal-Mart. Other than that, it's freedom baby. haha
Word. The grocery thing is probably the biggest pain in the ass. I'm lucky right now, living in the southwest corner of Hillhurst. I've got Safeway, I've got Sunnyside Market, I've got the farmer's market, and I've got Community Natural Foods right across the bridge.

I've wanted to live in Inglewood ever since I first moved here. But I could never resolve the grocery issue. Crossroads is just beyond reasonable walking distance and there really isn't much else in the area. Sucks balls. It's easily my favorite neighbourhood in Calgary.

When I lived in Chinatown in Victoria it was fucking beautiful. Ripe, fresh, cheap produce right on my doorstep. And sometimes they'd even have crazy shit. Fresh starfruit. Fresh passionfruit. Durian. And Victoria's Chinatown is really only one block. Calgary's got no excuse. Where are the open-air, streetside produce markets in Calgary anyway? I got it into my head one day to go down to Chinatown and see if I could get some things, and there was nothing. Okay, I guess the market next to Thi Thi with the rust-encrusted chest freezers full of expired, farmed fish counts as "something", but certainly not something I'd want to cook and eat. Oh, and there's a couple old ladies selling bok choi and celery and shit out of a plastic bag in some urine-soaked stairwell. Yay. Calgary's Chinatown really needs to step up its game. I went into some of the indoor markets and I think the fruitflies and cockroaches are still scampering around in my laundry. Fucking. Embarrassing.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 3:43 AM
HVAC guru

Quote:
I've wanted to live in Inglewood ever since I first moved here. But I could never resolve the grocery issue. Crossroads is just beyond reasonable walking distance and there really isn't much else in the area. Sucks balls. It's easily my favorite neighbourhood in Calgary.
Inglewood is my favorite Calgary neighborhood too. I remember driving out from BC to visit a friend who lived on 9th ave in one of those brick three story walk-ups in the mid nineties... back when it was still really dumpy, & thinking what an interesting area of the city... It's in an area of downtown that has still to realize its full potential, but has so many neat & offbeat features... I hope it can maintain that kitchiness as it develops

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Inglewood is my favorite Calgary neighborhood too. I remember driving out from BC to visit a friend who lived on 9th ave in one of those brick three story walk-ups in the mid nineties... back when it was still really dumpy, & thinking what an interesting area of the city... It's in an area of downtown that has still to realize its full potential, but has so many neat & offbeat features... I hope it can maintain that kitchiness as it develops
Aww, dude. I hope it's always dumpy.

Dumpy is good. If Inglewood ever becomes like Kensington I'll be sad beyond words. My mom likes to show me pictures of Kensington Road in the 70's. And whenever she shows me I get depressed and I wish I could have been my age 30 years ago. No pretense. No overpaid assholes sitting around on patios ogling affectedly attractive waitresses. No spoiled teenagers out to see and be seen. Just people doing their thing, being what they are, getting by as best they can.

That what's it's all about. And that's what Inglewood has somehow managed to retain.

Last edited by dubiousmike; Jul 29, 2007 at 4:01 AM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 4:01 AM
HVAC guru

^LOL no back then it was REALLY dumpy, like scary dumpy...

I'd be sad if it turned into Kensington too... I love the antique shops, the record store, that crazy military surplus store (if any of you Calgary forumers haven't been there... seriously, go check it out!) and all the really off-beat-ness that is still very prevalent in the area. The Harley Davidson diner has really good breakfasts too!

If I moved back, I'd live there in a second

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^LOL no back then it was REALLY dumpy, like scary dumpy...

I'd be sad if it turned into Kensington too... I love the antique shops, the record store, that crazy military surplus store (if any of you Calgary forumers haven't been there... seriously, go check it out!) and all the really off-beat-ness that is still very prevalent in the area. The Harley Davidson diner has really good breakfasts too!

If I moved back, I'd live there in a second

The one with the tail section of an airplane sticking out of it? And the weird lot full of old APCs and tanks and Jeeps? Fuckin' A.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubiousmike View Post
Word. The grocery thing is probably the biggest pain in the ass. I'm lucky right now, living in the southwest corner of Hillhurst. I've got Safeway, I've got Sunnyside Market, I've got the farmer's market, and I've got Community Natural Foods right across the bridge.

When I lived in Chinatown in Victoria it was fucking beautiful. Ripe, fresh, cheap produce right on my doorstep. And sometimes they'd even have crazy shit. Fresh starfruit. Fresh passionfruit. Durian. And Victoria's Chinatown is really only one block. Calgary's got no excuse. Where are the open-air, streetside produce markets in Calgary anyway? I got it into my head one day to go down to Chinatown and see if I could get some things, and there was nothing. Okay, I guess the market next to Thi Thi with the rust-encrusted chest freezers full of expired, farmed fish counts as "something", but certainly not something I'd want to cook and eat. Oh, and there's a couple old ladies selling bok choi and celery and shit out of a plastic bag in some urine-soaked stairwell. Yay. Calgary's Chinatown really needs to step up its game. I went into some of the indoor markets and I think the fruitflies and cockroaches are still scampering around in my laundry. Fucking. Embarrassing.
I REALLY agree with you about the fresh fruit market thing. Calgary is seriously lacking in that department. Where I live now in Vancouver, Commercial Drive has 4 or 5 on the area and not only is the fruit and veg cheap, but everything's cheap. I love seeing all the fruit and veg displayed on the sidewalks. Plus, it makes having to go to a bigger supermarket like Safeway a rare thing. And Chinatown is the craziest I've ever seen. Things I would never know what to begin to do with. Like lizard on a stick

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubiousmike View Post
Aww, dude. I hope it's always dumpy.

Dumpy is good. If Inglewood ever becomes like Kensington I'll be sad beyond words. My mom likes to show me pictures of Kensington Road in the 70's. And whenever she shows me I get depressed and I wish I could have been my age 30 years ago. No pretense. No overpaid assholes sitting around on patios ogling affectedly attractive waitresses. No spoiled teenagers out to see and be seen. Just people doing their thing, being what they are, getting by as best they can.

That what's it's all about. And that's what Inglewood has somehow managed to retain.
I love Inglewood for that very reason! Unfortunately, I don't think it will stay that way forever...Although I'm surprised a place like the Lido Cafe has survived all these years in Kensington.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 10:43 PM
lets race

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
I REALLY agree with you about the fresh fruit market thing. Calgary is seriously lacking in that department. Where I live now in Vancouver, Commercial Drive has 4 or 5 on the area and not only is the fruit and veg cheap, but everything's cheap. I love seeing all the fruit and veg displayed on the sidewalks. Plus, it makes having to go to a bigger supermarket like Safeway a rare thing. And Chinatown is the craziest I've ever seen. Things I would never know what to begin to do with. Like lizard on a stick
i agree

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 9:24 PM
BANNED

Parking rates in cities around the world make even the priciest U.S and
Canadian cities seem reasonable.

Typical parking rates (Daily/Monthly, in U.S. dollars):

- London, City - $63.68 per day/$1198.00 per month

- London, West End - $63.68 per day/$1162.00 per month

- Tokyo - $84.20 per day/$702.00 per month

- Sydney - $45.83 per day/$688.00 per month

- Hong Kong - $25.75 per day/$682.00 per month

- Midtown Manhattan - $42 per day/$630.00 per month

- Moscow - $50.00 per day/$620.00 per month

- Zurich - $32.00 per day/$487.00 per month

- Paris - $36.45 per day/$324.00 per month

- Munich - $27.00 per day/$314.00 per month

- Toronto - $20.00 per day/$301.85 per month

- Frankfurt - $20.00 per day/$257.00 per month

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 9:37 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Calgary would be 8th on that list (for average monthly cost).

Scary.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy