HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 4:10 PM
Austinite

Austin Riverside Dr. Condo Tower - Now Underway

The old Wellesy Inn Hotel on the south shore of Town Lake (NE corner of Riverside Drive and I-35) is about to undergo demolition, making way for a new condo tower complex. The tallest building will top out at around 110' This is long in the making....

http://www.statesman.com/business/co...riverside.html

REAL ESTATE
Goodbye inn; hello $1 million condo

Demolition to begin, making way for $70 million condo development on East Riverside.

By Shonda Novak
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Thursday, December 21, 2006

Within a few weeks, demolition is scheduled to begin on the Wellesley Inn & Suites to make way for a $70 million development where the first condominiums will cost from $700,000 to $1 million.
The 254-unit luxury condo project along East Riverside Drive is also expected to expedite a long-awaited extension of the Town Lake hike-and-bike trail.

The developer, Constellation Property Group, plans to donate all furniture and fixtures in the 115-room inn to the SafePlace domestic violence shelter and Habitat for Humanity. Demolition is scheduled to start in late January.

Constellation received approval earlier this year from the City of Austin for its Star Riverside project, slated for four acres at the northeast corner of East Riverside Drive and Interstate 35 along Town Lake's southern shore.
The project is part of a residential building boom of apartments and condominiums in and around downtown, a trend fueled by buyers as diverse as young professionals and empty nesters seeking an urban lifestyle.

The stretch of East Riverside Drive between I-35 and Lakeshore Boulevard is attracting keen interest because of its proximity to downtown and Town Lake and its lower land prices. Some developers are converting apartment projects into condominiums, while others are planning projects that would add thousands of residential units.

Constellation's project will have four buildings, the tallest of which will be 110 feet, or 11 stories, said Chris White, a senior associate with Constellation, an Australian firm with U.S. headquarters in San Diego.
Constellation's earlier plans to build as high as 200 feet drew opposition from some neighborhood groups.

The tallest building will be the one nearest the interstate. A 90-foot building will be closest to Riverside on the southeast side. Two 60-foot buildings will replace the motel. There also will be a three-level underground parking garage for 400 cars.

Construction is expected to start in mid-2007 on the first phase — two 60-foot buildings with 68 units. Most of those units will have three bedrooms and average 1,500 square feet, with prices from $700,000 to $1 million. The first residents would arrive in mid-2008, White said.

Work on the second phase, the 90-foot building, is expected to start in mid-2008, with the final phase starting a year later. Pricing has not been set for those condos, which would have one and two bedrooms.
Constellation says it will grant an easement to the city to extend the hike-and-bike trail, which advocates eventually would like to see linked with the trail at Lakeshore Boulevard.

The company also says it will donate $250,000 toward a boardwalk or pontoon bridge on the river beneath I-35. This would close a gap in the hike-and-bike trail that now forces runners to cross a busy intersection. The multimillion-dollar boardwalk project, which could be a few years away, would connect the trail from the east with parkland west of the interstate.

"Closing the Riverside gap will make the trail a lot more useful and will help the entire trail system handle the increased use from the residential developments that are happening downtown and along the trail," said Griffin Davis, chairman of the Town Lake Trail Foundation, which has been working with Constellation.

If other developers along Riverside Drive and Lakeshore Boulevard follow Constellation's lead, "it will create an outstanding east-west pedestrian hike-and-bike corridor into downtown, finally tearing down the physical and symbolic barrier I-35 creates between east and west Austin," said Dan Garrison, a foundation member.

To address neighbors' concerns about adding traffic to an already heavily traveled intersection, White said the entrance and exit to the condos will be from a side street, Manlove St.

Further east, near Riverside and Lakeshore and south of Town Lake, Cypress Real Estate Advisors Inc. plans to build a $400 million to $500 million development with townhomes, condos and apartments. Austin-based Cypress hopes to start construction in late 2007, adding about 2,500 residential units over eight years, said Steve Clark, a Cypress partner. The developer plans to have buildings of varying heights, including two of up to 12 stories.

Prices for the condos and townhomes would start in the low $200,000s, and rents would start at about $1,100 a month.
Clark said the less expensive land will enable Cypress to build a project with more moderately priced units than downtown, where he said condos typically start in the low $400,000s.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 4:45 PM

Thought the title said Doctor Condo Tower there for a second

Drove by there last weekend, saw some lights on in the existing building as if people are still living there.

So in addition to providing land easement to extend the trail, they are contributing 250 feet of boardwalk - that ought to get it most of the way under the bridge at $1000/ft. Seems like a pontoon bridge is more cost feasible. That intersection is a bear to cross. I do it on my bike sometimes, but usually just head back to the other side of the river because of heavy traffic.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 5:34 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
Thought the title said Doctor Condo Tower there for a second
LOL...just noticed that. If you're not a Medical Doctor, you need not apply

The trail extension is fantastic news for sure. Riverside @ 35 is one crazy intersection.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 6:46 PM
Meh

Manlove Street...

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 6:52 PM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

That westernmost building is going to be awfully close to a reconstructed IH-35 frontage road, at least according to the current preliminary plan. (pretty big pdf)

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 8:19 PM

I'm not sure if this is part of Cypress Development's plans also mentioned in the Austin American Statesman, but if you read the closed caption transcripts of the Austin City Council meeting for December 14, 2006

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/council/2...l_12142006.htm

scroll down to Item 59.

It concerns a zoning change for the proprties at 1708, 1712 and 1720 South Lakeshore Drive. I believe 1720 is the old Lakeshore Apartments complex.

It would allow for buildings up to 60 feet in height. It calls for a 100 foot setback from Town Lake and would be compliant with the new commercial design standards. It would not be a gated community. The owner would be responsible for construction of a hike and bike trail within a 30' easement along Town Lake. Pedestrian access would be from E. Riverside and Lakeshore Dr. There would be at least 10,000 sq. feet of retail along
E. Riverside Dr.

Jerry Harris was representing the applicant (AMLI) and the council approved the change (second reading) 6-0 with Council member Cole off the dais.

The third reading goes back to the city council sometime in January.

It's nice to see these gaps in the trail getting closed.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 10:00 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey711MN View Post
That westernmost building is going to be awfully close to a reconstructed IH-35 frontage road, at least according to the current preliminary plan. (pretty big pdf)
Wow, those are some ambitious expansion plans for I-35 through downtown. Looks like there is a collector-distributor configuration, and the mainlanes will be sunk below grade in several sections (Cesar Chavez, 6th street, etc.). What kind of timetable are we looking at here? I would assume next decade.

As for the condo development, I'm sure the vertical nature of the project, and non-access to the frontage roads should minimize impacts.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey711MN View Post
THanks for that info..... can you pass along where you found that.....

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 10:46 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
I'm not sure if this is part of Cypress Development's plans also mentioned in the Austin American Statesman, but if you read the closed caption transcripts of the Austin City Council meeting for December 14, 2006

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/council/2...l_12142006.htm

scroll down to Item 59.

It concerns a zoning change for the proprties at 1708, 1712 and 1720 South Lakeshore Drive. I believe 1720 is the old Lakeshore Apartments complex.

It would allow for buildings up to 60 feet in height. It calls for a 100 foot setback from Town Lake and would be compliant with the new commercial design standards. It would not be a gated community. The owner would be responsible for construction of a hike and bike trail within a 30' easement along Town Lake. Pedestrian access would be from E. Riverside and Lakeshore Dr. There would be at least 10,000 sq. feet of retail along
E. Riverside Dr.

Jerry Harris was representing the applicant (AMLI) and the council approved the change (second reading) 6-0 with Council member Cole off the dais.

The third reading goes back to the city council sometime in January.

It's nice to see these gaps in the trail getting closed.

No. That's not Cypress Real Estate Advisors' project. I believe that's a project being developed by The Sutton Company.

Cypress' 50-acre project is bordered by S. Lakeshore Blvd (to the north); Tinnin Ford Rd. (to the west); Elmont Dr. (to the south); and Pleasant Valley Rd. (to the east). In fact, Cypress' property does not have any lake frontage. Town Lake is across S. Lakeshore Blvd. from their site.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Wow, those are some ambitious expansion plans for I-35 through downtown. Looks like there is a collector-distributor configuration, and the mainlanes will be sunk below grade in several sections (Cesar Chavez, 6th street, etc.). What kind of timetable are we looking at here? I would assume next decade.
It's been a decade out for at least a decade now. My bet is that it never happens (seriously).

Old Posted Dec 22, 2006, 12:32 AM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
THanks for that info..... can you pass along where you found that.....
I believe the schematics came from this section of the I35austin.com website:

http://www.i35austin.com/map.shtml

Click on either of the 3 segments pictured. You'll find future schematics of 35 through the Austin metro area.

Ok... sorry for my tangent. Back to Riverside Drive development!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2006, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
I believe the schematics came from this section of the I35austin.com website:

http://www.i35austin.com/map.shtml

Click on either of the 3 segments pictured. You'll find future schematics of 35 through the Austin metro area.

Ok... sorry for my tangent. Back to Riverside Drive development!
Thanks Mopacs....

Have a good Holiday....

M

Old Posted Dec 22, 2006, 5:35 AM
Houston:Considered Good

Very nice project.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2006, 8:45 PM
Love Austin

Having lived here on Riverside for the past two years, I’m really not sure what to make of this project. While I think it will be great for the area, I question the ubiquitous homeless population in this area and how it will affect the project. Will this be a common interest development of some kind or are they going to have an inviting entrance where all are welcomed. Maybe Dr. Condo is a good name for this project; it certainly has the potential to change this area. I’m glad the council said no to the 200' request. Let’s keep the height downtown where developers truly need it to offset the cost of land.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2006, 11:09 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Having lived here on Riverside for the past two years, I’m really not sure what to make of this project. While I think it will be great for the area, I question the ubiquitous homeless population in this area and how it will affect the project. Will this be a common interest development of some kind or are they going to have an inviting entrance where all are welcomed. Maybe Dr. Condo is a good name for this project; it certainly has the potential to change this area. I’m glad the council said no to the 200' request. Let’s keep the height downtown where developers truly need it to offset the cost of land.
The only vehicular entrance to this project will be along Manlove St. When I last spoke to the developer, they were still deciding on whether or not to fence-in the project.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Having lived here on Riverside for the past two years, I’m really not sure what to make of this project. While I think it will be great for the area, I question the ubiquitous homeless population in this area and how it will affect the project.
Interesting question: Do you think the homeless population is larger than downtown? 'cause I don't often hear folks using that as a consideration when building housing downtown. I didn't consider it in making a choice.... I only considered it a fact of life..... and got to know the beat cops in my 'hood real well!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin