HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

1000M in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 7:57 PM
1st Ward

^ Probably a typo, but if not I'll gladly welcome an additional 20 feet.

Although 200 more feet to bring it back up to its original height would be even more welcome

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 8:58 PM

Im afraid this city is going to end up with many mainstream architects passing up on Chicago for there "signature" designs because of the bureaucracy that we have been seeing from alderman in the past 10 years or so..We will just be getting safe and no cutting edge projects because of whats going on. So many project like this one end up changing design completely and reduced in height for silly reasons and the architect original vision never gets met...I understand designs and changes are part of the business but NYC has so many large scale projects that stay true to original version and rarely get height reductions like Chicago has been seeing on so many project in the downtown/rivernorth area recently... This project in current form is nothing to brag about but could of been so much more special if stayed with the original design.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
Im afraid this city is going to end up with many mainstream architects passing up on Chicago for there "signature" designs because of the bureaucracy that we have been seeing from alderman in the past 10 years or so..We will just be getting safe and no cutting edge projects because of whats going on. So many project like this one end up changing design completely and reduced in height for silly reasons and the architect original vision never gets met...I understand designs and changes are part of the business but NYC has so many large scale projects that stay true to original version and rarely get height reductions like Chicago has been seeing on so many project in the downtown/rivernorth area recently... This project in current form is nothing to brag about but could of been so much more special if stayed with the original design.
If only Jahn, or Vinoly, or Gang, or SOM or Adrian Smith or someone would build something in this city!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 2:57 AM
Making Chicago Memorable.

Quote:
Agreed. I also think the developers propose boring designs. NYC has some cool supertalls going up with different shapes and textures. We need to get some diversity in our new builds. It's time to stop building blue glass/silver boxes. The Jahn tower is decent, but not pushing boundaries or anything. It will blend in with all the other blue glass buildings going up near by...

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 3:55 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
If only Jahn, or Vinoly, or Gang, or SOM or Adrian Smith or someone would build something in this city!
he said signature......

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 5:01 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
he said signature......
Gang and Vinoly certainly have put forth good designs, but yeah Jahn... not so much. Adrian Smith gave us Trump Tower not too long ago, and that is certainly one of his signature towers.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Gang and Vinoly certainly have put forth good designs, but yeah Jahn... not so much. Adrian Smith gave us Trump Tower not too long ago, and that is certainly one of his signature towers.
I would say the original iteration of this tower had the potential to be Jahn's best tower from the second half of his career. Hopefully he gets another opportunity with a Thompson Center carve-in tower.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Im afraid this city is going to end up with many mainstream architects passing up on Chicago for there "signature" designs because of the bureaucracy that we have been seeing from alderman in the past 10 years or so

The development process and city bureaucracy are not new developments (been this way for decades) so if there's been a recent shift in patterns I wouldn't attribute it to that. It's also not significantly easier to build in NYC which has it's own bureaucratic trials and tribulations to deal with. Also, if you're looking at a 10 year span, your view will be distorted since for several years during the Great Recession there was very little development activity at all.

It's far more likely that it's about money, particularly the rate of return. Signature designs can command steep prices in the NYC real estate market which helps to justify the cost. Investors and lenders are very conscious of costs after the excess of the building boom that preceded the recession.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 8:48 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
I would say the original iteration of this tower had the potential to be Jahn's best tower from the second half of his career. Hopefully he gets another opportunity with a Thompson Center carve-in tower.
I agree, the original iteration was beautiful. The carve-in tower will never happen despite being quite the beauty. That building is headed for the chopping block and the sight will probably turn into a few 40 story apartment buildings(knowing our luck), despite having so much potential. I'm gonna be sad to see that day.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 2:07 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpireGuy View Post
Agreed. I also think the developers propose boring designs. NYC has some cool supertalls going up with different shapes and textures. We need to get some diversity in our new builds. It's time to stop building blue glass/silver boxes. The Jahn tower is decent, but not pushing boundaries or anything. It will blend in with all the other blue glass buildings going up near by...
He obviously feels differently:

Quote:
Architect Helmut Jahn on the Need for Innovation and Boldness

MG: What’s the biggest surprise in the luxury real estate market now?

HJ: The biggest surprise is that there is no surprise. By that I mean that part of our goal in architecture is to innovate and do something new, but nobody is breaking out of the mold and being bold. Look at all the residential buildings going up, they’re all glass curtain walls, and not even designed by architects, but by companies that make the glass walls.

And the apartments are often very small, too. It should be about making people more comfortable—making ceilings higher, giving them outdoor space and more light.

The unfortunate thing is that architecture is eclipsed by real estate value issues. There aren’t enough people selling and renting these homes who believe in that architectural value. Look at 57th Street in New York, they’re all big and tall buildings, but that’s it.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 3:34 PM
BANNED

^ All due respect to Jahn, but is he blind? 111 W 57th, Tower Verre, 9 Dekalb, 35 Hudson Yards, etc. Innovative and bold apartment towers.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 3:54 PM

In the interview, Jahn says he has an 8,000 SQ. METER apartment in Chicago.

I'm assuming he was experiencing a senior moment?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket49 View Post
In the interview, Jahn says he has an 8,000 SQ. METER apartment in Chicago.

I'm assuming he was experiencing a senior moment?
Must have been; that would be one of the largest homes in America.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 5:58 AM

Saw this the other day at Illinois/Columbus

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 12:49 PM
BANNED

^. Same ad as what's on the fencing on site. That's about as real as it gets.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 5:34 PM

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 5:55 PM
Development Shill

I'm coming to grips with this building. It isn't bad(I like the design more than OMP), and there are still dozens of great lots for iconic buildings in the South Loop and Near South Side.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 7:00 PM

it's fine. at the very least it will add to the skyline clump that is UC down there

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 7:36 PM

The base still needs work, but at least it wont really be visible in skyline shots. The top 4/5 is quite nice, although the original was a bit better.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 7:43 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
The base still needs work, but at least it wont really be visible in skyline shots. The top 4/5 is quite nice, although the original was a bit better.
the original design was downright magical in my opinion. i'll never completely get over it.

this new design is still pretty nice though, at least the top 80% of it, like you said.

it'll be fine in the skyline; 100% of my concerns involve the base and how it fits into michigan ave.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction