HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 7:43 PM

Will Austin ever have a STARCHITECT designed tower?

As we approach new levels of density here in Austin, will we ever see a tower rise that's created by a world famous architect?? Is it only a matter of time?

Which 'starchitect' would most makes sense?
**RIP César Pelli AMOA tower***

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 8:55 PM

Yes.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 10:44 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I hope so. Would be nice to see a world class architect design a tower and have it actually built.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 11:14 PM

I'd still like to see The Contemporary partner with office/residential for their future site and have it be our first real famous arch project. I CAN dream...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 2:20 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
As we approach new levels of density here in Austin, will we ever see a tower rise that's created by a world famous architect?? Is it only a matter of time?

Which 'starchitect' would most makes sense?
**RIP César Pelli AMOA tower***
Yes, but, not any time soon. Austin is still way below a Tier 1 city. There is no pressure to add major aesthetics to the design of a skyscraper here. Look, Dallas and Houston are not quite in that tier yet - that should tell you something.

For this to come to fruition, within the coming decades, it will take a developer with (1) exceptionally deep pockets and the (2) arcane desire to do so. And, I do not see that happening - even though I wish differently. It takes "world cities" to force the production of such beautiful and amazing towers. Austin is not quite there...yet.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 7:51 AM
World Traveler

I agree with GoldenBoot. I think at the rate that Austin is growing both in size/population as well as popularity around the globe, it will eventually happen. I just don't think it'll be as soon as we'd like it to be. It's kinda nice, however, when I travel to major Asian cities for work and folks ask me where I'm from to not need to say, "It's south of Dallas." or "It's west of Houston." At least, I don't have to explain it as often as before because more folks recognize the name - this is only in the last five years or so. It's definitely growing in global recognition, which is a good thing.

I'd love for density to be up (as well as height in some areas) and then a really amazing signature tower of the type you're speaking can come in.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 3:16 PM

And here I was thinking 'starchitect' was supposed to be a pejorative.

I really hope we don't get one, unless it fits in with our motif. Skylines look better when there's not one building that draws all the attention to itself.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
And here I was thinking 'starchitect' was supposed to be a pejorative.

I really hope we don't get one, unless it fits in with our motif. Skylines look better when there's not one building that draws all the attention to itself.
I can see Studio Gang or SOM designing a mid to high-rise tower that would mesh well with the current reserved skyline. Something modest but loud.

I think it's important to take the time and mix some prominent (non local) designers into a cities' front grill.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 1:56 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

To be honest I want a tower that breaks up the monotonous and repetitive rut that we have been stuck in. There is such a thing as being too reserved and too bland. The Independent is a start and hopefully will open the door for future projects to take that extra step. It doesn't have to be a huge leap from the surounding architecture but towers like the Independent are a good example of pushing to new levels.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 3:21 AM

Would the Gherkin tower in London be an example of starchiture? Most of the examples that I've seen or heard of are not that tall.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Would the Gherkin tower in London be an example of starchiture? Most of the examples that I've seen or heard of are not that tall.
a b s o l u t e l y ... That is one of my favorites. It's modest but very prominent. I can see Austin having a monument like that someday....very soon.

I don't think it needs to be something super-tall either. Perhaps even on the outskirts of the CBD

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 4:47 AM

I can only imagine the NIMBY battle with a Gherkin being built on the edge of Downtown. We can't even get One Two East done or a few feet added to 1301 W. 5th.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Mar 7, 2016 at 1:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 2:33 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
When compared to the rest of the world, 30 St. Mary Axe (aka, The Gherkin; aka, Swiss Re), at 590' tall, may be considered "short." However, if compared to the height of other Austin skyscrapers, it would be pretty dramatic in both height and design.

I actually like this building...and it would definitely be considered "starchitecture" - having been designed by Norman Foster.

Speaking of London towers, I really like 122 Leadenhall St., more so than I like 30 St. Mary Axe. A 122 Leadenhall-type tower could be built in Austin for about $300-$350 million (about the cost of the JW and Fairmont).

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 4:15 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

How about a block-sized building that has a footprint in the shape of a regular 5-pt star. It keeps that shape as it rises 600+ feet.

Call it...The Lone Star.

haha

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 6:10 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
How about a block-sized building that has a footprint in the shape of a regular 5-pt star. It keeps that shape as it rises 600+ feet.

Call it...The Lone Star.

haha
We could do the Stetson and the Boot on either side of the Lone Star. They'll be tourist attractions in their own right because they'd all be so stereotypically Texan. Yeehaw.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 7:43 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

In Austin, it might be better to have a building in the shape of a giant hipster fedora which sells fixed-gear bikes on the ground floor.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 7:58 AM

^^^ This is giving me angsty teenage memories of the north star mall cowboy boots

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 9:09 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
In Austin, it might be better to have a building in the shape of a giant hipster fedora which sells fixed-gear bikes on the ground floor.
You know, why not both? What Austin was a century ago, give or take, and what it's become...history in architecture?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:15 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
^^^ This is giving me angsty teenage memories of the north star mall cowboy boots
I was thinking the same.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 10:54 PM

I think a building by Bjarke Ingels would be a great addition to our skyline... Right now our skyline is lacking in the design department (with the exception of Frost of course and kinda 360 but not quite)

We have a lot of buildings that I think are close to having great design but are just too reserved do to either budgets or other factors.

Before any major "Starchitect" building we really need to address the lack of density in neighboring areas of downtown and the lack of more affordable housing.

Just my opinion

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin