HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 2:08 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
No, you're absolutely correct, but there's nothing stopping it from looking picturesque in the future.

A development of homes, condos, boat docks, and retirement communities could be interconnected with linear parks, trees, bike paths, and have a stunning view of ship/barge traffic. Furthermore, if the bridges along the canal were repainted regularly (the legislature has voted to entirely replace the Florida Ave. bridge), the view has the potential to be stellar. I think another big catch would be the fact that your boat could be in Lake Pontchartrain, Lake Borgne, the Gulf of Mexico, or the Mississippi River within a few minutes.

The main point is that New Orleans has no true waterfront property, except for one half of Bayou St. John - which is end to end multi-million dollar homes. Developing some of the Industrial Canal/Intracoastal would allow for large waterfront developments with enormous lots.
Why can't the Industrial Canal be used to, you know, support industrial uses?

New Orleans' old standbys of oil and tourism will not be able to bring this city out of poverty. Neither will the bio-medical sector, despite all the hype (every other city is moving in the same direction; NOLA is decades behind the curve).

I'm pretty confident that the only way to generate stable job growth of well-paying jobs is through the manufacturing sector, so I'd like to see clean industries populating the Industrial Canal area. Not clean in the make-believe sense of "green jobs", but clean in the sense of "non-polluting". Milwaukee has launched a similar strategy for its Menomonee River Valley, and they've been really successful at luring businesses and jobs in.

I'd also like to see the Mississippi River lock enlarged and the France Road container terminal re-activated (also, replace Claiborne/St. Claude with tunnels and Florida with a high bridge). Container shipping should be a huge growth industry for us, since we're the closest US port to the Panama Canal except Miami, and we have better rail access.

Maybe residential uses could be built on the canal side of the Lower 9th, but generally you don't want to mix pleasure craft and massive container ships in the same narrow channel. I do support the Reinventing the Crescent plan to build a cluster of high-rises at Bywater Point, though.

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 5, 2011 at 2:18 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Cool deal if true... where did u hear this from if you dont mind my asking? ALso, has an updated schematic been released yet...
Rather not post names but he is higher up administration and directly involved with the meetings between LSU and the Governer's office. Usually like to have official sources, but just heard this today and thought I would share the news. Have'nt seen any new renderings. If updated would be found below.

http://www.lsusystem.edu/media/newHospital/

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 2:55 AM
-

Certainly understand not wanting to name anyone, but thanks for letting us know regardless. Really hopeful this project and the VA Medical Center will be a game changer for ahuge swath of this city.

Just checking out The Stevens Garage website and dont recall there being floorplans shown on the website before... looks like a really cool development idea.

http://thegarageneworleans.com/yourspot.php

Also the city planning commission has a great new way to access their meetings and agenda schedule...
http://www.nola.gov/sitecore/content...A-Agendas.aspx

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 5, 2011 at 3:25 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 3:44 AM
TL;DR

The retail level of The Garage looks pretty slick. It looks perfect for a furniture seller or something - Crate & Barrel?

Interesting tidbits from the Planning Commission agendas... Apparently there's an abandoned warehouse on Wilkinson (behind the west Pontalba Building) that is being renovated into apartments... also a building across from the House of Blues on Decatur, same story.

Also... The Company Burger, coming to Freret Street. Adolfo Garcia is opening the High Hat Cafe (Southern food) and Ancora Pizzeria & Salumeria (pizza and Italian sausages), next door to each other in the blue building that used to be Las Acacias Supermercado. Lastly, there's The Midway, which is the Chicago deep-dish place I mentioned awhile back, opening in the former Friar Tucks. Those should combine to make Freret into one bustling strip in coming years.

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 5, 2011 at 4:13 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 5:23 AM

Why not close the industrial canal? Hasn't it been an economic non-starter, besides being an ecological disaster?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 5:29 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The retail level of The Garage looks pretty slick. It looks perfect for a furniture seller or something - Crate & Barrel?

Interesting tidbits from the Planning Commission agendas... Apparently there's an abandoned warehouse on Wilkinson (behind the west Pontalba Building) that is being renovated into apartments... also a building across from the House of Blues on Decatur, same story.

Also... The Company Burger, coming to Freret Street. Adolfo Garcia is opening the High Hat Cafe (Southern food) and Ancora Pizzeria & Salumeria (pizza and Italian sausages), next door to each other in the blue building that used to be Las Acacias Supermercado. Lastly, there's The Midway, which is the Chicago deep-dish place I mentioned awhile back, opening in the former Friar Tucks. Those should combine to make Freret into one bustling strip in coming years.
Good to see Freret Street becoming such a nice place. This street along with Harrison in Lakeview and Oak Street in the Riverbend are prime examples of streets that have become much more interesting since Katrina...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 7:28 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by camkazaam View Post
Why not close the industrial canal? Hasn't it been an economic non-starter, besides being an ecological disaster?
The Industrial Canal (or at least half of it) is part of the Intracoastal Waterway, so you can't just close it without identifying an alternate route.

Also, the Industrial Canal is not an ecological disaster - you're thinking of MR-GO, due to the erosion it caused. It allowed salty seawater from the Gulf to penetrate deep into the wetlands, where the increased salt levels killed the trees and grasses that held the soil in place.

Really, the MR-GO was a stupid idea in the first place, pitched by overzealous, politically-connected dredging companies back in the 50s. The Mississippi already provides a wide channel connecting the Gulf to the city, and the river mouth has been easily navigable since 1877. It does require skilled pilots, but that would be the case regardless.

The Canal area has failed to attract investment, but this is because of counterproductive, opposing decisions made by the Army Corps, the city, the State, and the Port. If there was some agreement brokered, and they created a master plan, then industrial uses could start to transition to the Canal area, and the riverfront opened up for development of parkland, residential, and other uses. Really, the biggest missing piece right now is enlarging the lock so that container ships can enter the Industrial Canal. The Army Corps has stalled on this for years, and community opposition hasn't helped. IIRC the main issue was where the dredged material would be dumped, since the soil near the lock is contaminated.

Current plans are to build the new lock to Panamax sizes (the biggest ship that could pass through the Panama Canal could also pass through the Industrial Canal lock) but now Panama is building new, bigger locks, so the Army Corps' new lock will be obsolete the day it opens.

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 5, 2011 at 7:59 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Why can't the Industrial Canal be used to, you know, support industrial uses?

New Orleans' old standbys of oil and tourism will not be able to bring this city out of poverty. Neither will the bio-medical sector, despite all the hype (every other city is moving in the same direction; NOLA is decades behind the curve).

I'm pretty confident that the only way to generate stable job growth of well-paying jobs is through the manufacturing sector, so I'd like to see clean industries populating the Industrial Canal area. Not clean in the make-believe sense of "green jobs", but clean in the sense of "non-polluting". Milwaukee has launched a similar strategy for its Menomonee River Valley, and they've been really successful at luring businesses and jobs in.
I agree about using the industrial canal for industrial use, but NOLA does also need to diversify and bringing in biosciences is a step in the right direction. I also think that we need to attract more high tech companies as it has done well for cities like San Diego and Austin attracting those sectors. We need to keep the steady inflow of college grads and push UNO, LSUHSC and Tulane to keep it up and to keep attracting more people to the city. That was my little spiel on spurring economic development.

I also think the garage project is great and I've ridden down Freret street and really hope they can keep up the positive progress

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
Rather not post names but he is higher up administration and directly involved with the meetings between LSU and the Governer's office. Usually like to have official sources, but just heard this today and thought I would share the news. Have'nt seen any new renderings. If updated would be found below.

http://www.lsusystem.edu/media/newHospital/
I've noticed in the Real Estate transactions the last few weeks that LSU is buying land at a much quicker pace in the footprint. I would still feel much more confident if I knew where the last $400 million was coming from.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 8:32 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
I agree about using the industrial canal for industrial use, but NOLA does also need to diversify and bringing in biosciences is a step in the right direction. I also think that we need to attract more high tech companies as it has done well for cities like San Diego and Austin attracting those sectors. We need to keep the steady inflow of college grads and push UNO, LSUHSC and Tulane to keep it up and to keep attracting more people to the city. That was my little spiel on spurring economic development.
Sure, by all means, the city should move forward in the direction of biosciences. It's a growing industry, so it would be stupid not to pursue it. But New Orleans is never gonna be top dog in that industry, because so many other cities and regions have a 20 or 30-year head start. It's an important component of a newly diversified economy for the city, but it's not gonna solve any problems on its own, and it's not gonna provide very many stable jobs to impoverished minority populations.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 9:38 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolacat157 View Post
I've noticed in the Real Estate transactions the last few weeks that LSU is buying land at a much quicker pace in the footprint. I would still feel much more confident if I knew where the last $400 million was coming from.
I noticed that too in particular it seems one major landowner has closed on his parcels.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 9:45 PM
-

Quote:
Sure, by all means, the city should move forward in the direction of biosciences. It's a growing industry, so it would be stupid not to pursue it. But New Orleans is never gonna be top dog in that industry, because so many other cities and regions have a 20 or 30-year head start. It's an important component of a newly diversified economy for the city, but it's not gonna solve any problems on its own, and it's not gonna provide very many stable jobs to impoverished minority populations.
Ive always been a fan of following the industries that make sense for your area. However, it doesnt hurt to have ones hand in many pies. Look at the entertainment industry now, we are the third largest production area for tv/films after LA then NYC and quickly catching up to NYC. Sometimes things just work! I think biosciences makes sense for New Orleans because of its easy access to tropical areas where much research still needs to be done. Also, if gas oil prices continue there general spike upward that benefits this area in two ways: one we make refine and produce much of the nations oil, and two it allows this area to be better positioned because of its lower costs transport options.i.e. the major railroads that run though here and the Mississippi River. Im a firm believer that in the future, cities situated in historically desirable locations will have advantages over their peers(yes Im looking at you Phoenix)

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Im a firm believer that in the future, cities situated in historically desirable locations will have advantages over their peers(yes Im looking at you Phoenix)
I second this sentiment. I'm currently reading Richard Florida's book Rise of the Creative Class for a geography paper and if he's right, New Orleans will have a huge leg up over MANY cities in the coming years. While we are playing catch up with other Sun Belt cities in terms of economic development, NOLA already has the creative infrastructure in place that many cities like Phoenix, Houston, Atlanta, etc. are trying to build from scratch. I'm talking about things like streetcars, historic/established neighborhoods with vibrant nightlife and art scenes, walkable communities, local consumer culture, openness to diversity and different types of people. These are all things that New Orleans is known for and other cities are desperately trying to emulate it. Hasn't anyone noticed how all over the urban core these days all you see is creative types riding bikes or taking streetcars, walking up and down the street. This is the kind of city that will prosper in the 21st Century post-industrial world. I am beginning to notice every day (from things like NOLA Fashion Week to Entrepreneur Week to just driving down Canal in Mid City on a friday afternoon) that New Orleans is definitely on the rise and a hell of a lot more progressive than many of its residents give it credit for. And, according to Richard Florida, these are the things that will attract companies in the new economy.

In addition to that...check out this article in the Gambit about biking in the city. Kristen Palmer wants to make NOLA number 1 in bike commuting soon. To some, this may seem as superfluous and counter-productive to economic development, but in fact, these are the things that will help NOLA attract more educated people in the future.

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/gamb...nt?oid=1658650

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 12:39 AM
-

I definitely agree with everything you said, the only thing I would add is that there are likely economic factors that will encourage/mandate denser development. Some cities will be able to make that transition many wont. I think New Orleans will have the ability to make that transition as it is in many ways already there. A renewed focus on expanded streetcars, efficient bus system and then safe and available bike-paths is all a plus. I don't have to bike but often enjoy the ability to do that. Its healthy and really opens yourself to neighborhoods and vantages you just don't see in a car. BTW do you guys think a zipcar franchise would work well in the city ?

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 6, 2011 at 1:02 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
No, you're absolutely correct, but there's nothing stopping it from looking picturesque in the future.

A development of homes, condos, boat docks, and retirement communities could be interconnected with linear parks, trees, bike paths, and have a stunning view of ship/barge traffic. Furthermore, if the bridges along the canal were repainted regularly (the legislature has voted to entirely replace the Florida Ave. bridge), the view has the potential to be stellar. I think another big catch would be the fact that your boat could be in Lake Pontchartrain, Lake Borgne, the Gulf of Mexico, or the Mississippi River within a few minutes.

The main point is that New Orleans has no true waterfront property, except for one half of Bayou St. John - which is end to end multi-million dollar homes. Developing some of the Industrial Canal/Intracoastal would allow for large waterfront developments with enormous lots.
There is some undeveloped or underdeveloped property along Bayou St. John between the I-610 overpass and the Harrisson Ave bridge around the Parkview St. John condo building. I haven't been by there in a while, but there was an ugly and abandoned apartment or condo building that has or had a for sale sign on it for a long time as well as empty land and lots that could be developed with views of the bayou and City Park. I think there was a school back there that was suppose to be demolished but I don't know if it was ever rebuilt or is planned to be rebuilt. I think the city and/or HANO own some of the property. I suppose the St. Bernard Projects kept that part from ever becoming nice, although Park Island is really close as well.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 2:21 AM

Quote:
BTW do you guys think a zipcar franchise would work well in the city ?
I dont think we have the density to support zipcar downtown yet but if some of the planned projects like South Market and other residential projects are built I think it would work well.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 3:37 AM
-

Quote:
I dont think we have the density to support zipcar downtown yet but if some of the planned projects like South Market and other residential projects are built I think it would work well.
My original thought was to partner with Loyola/Tulane first and then build from there. If people on here are not familiar with it you should really check it out. It is a well run form of car sharing!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midcity View Post
There is some undeveloped or underdeveloped property along Bayou St. John between the I-610 overpass and the Harrisson Ave bridge around the Parkview St. John condo building.
A few weeks ago there was talk of Deutsches Haus moving into that 4-acre lot next to the Apartments at Esplanade building, which would be great news because they will be in the middle of Jazz Fest and City Park's new festival grounds. Also, they will not disturb any neighbors, because they're surrounded by cemetery.

As far as Zipcars, I actually think New Orleans would be great for it. There are many Warehouse Dist/FQ/Marigny people without cars that occasionally need to run to Walmart, Sams Club, or Lakeside; and it could also be good for tourists who don't want to rent a car but would like to drive to one place in particular outside of downtown - such as the cemeteries, City Park, the lakefront, or to maybe go on a swamp tour. I think somewhere between Basin and Rampart Streets would be the perfect hub for a zip car lot, with a few smaller scattered sites around the CBD and Loyola/TU.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 3:48 AM

Quote:
where is South market exactly, I can't find it on the map

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlx2 View Post
where is South market exactly, I can't find it on the map
http://southmarketdistrict.com/map.php

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations