HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 12:23 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
more than 2.1 million people live within a radius of 15km from downtown Montréal.
I want to know if there's any radius where Hamilton beats Toronto. (Probably whatever distance nets Hamilton London.)

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 12:32 AM
ARTchitecture

There are about 1.1 million people within a 15 km radius of downtown Calgary, same for Edmonton.

Toronto and Vancouver are sort of odd cases, as they both border directly on massive bodies of water, so their downtowns aren't really good measures of this radius thing.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 1:04 AM

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Impressive that Toronto can grow from 6m to 8m with what looks to be only a bit of sprawl added in. If you go back to those sprawl timeline maps earlier in the thread, Toronto sprawled a hell of a lot more than that when it went from 4m to 6m. Not surprising, the GTA's growth is about 50% intensification whereas before the year 2000 intensification might have made up 10% or so. Plus new suburban areas are much denser than older ones. New suburban subdivisions in Ontario tend to have lots of townhouses, duplexes, and semi-detached homes whereas older ones are almost entirely detached homes.

In Ottawa, new subdivisions in 2013 have an average density of 35 units per hectare, up from about 20 units per hectare for new subdivisions in 1990. I don't have those numbers, but it appears Toronto is similar.
Growing up in Oakville I barely ever went to Milton except to get to the 401, so five months ago I went there for a drive and went into one of the new subdivisions. This was on a Saturday and I was quite surprised at how dense it was. Much more traffic and even pedestrians than the typical Oakville neighbourhood. Milton vs Oakville is an excellent study in comparing new subdivisions vs those of 15 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
I like that Toronto's urban zone and Skyline are both roughly T shaped.
Basically the entire GTA is centered around Yonge and Front, which includes both the skyline and the urban footprint.

Last edited by middeljohn; Sep 6, 2014 at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
Basically the entire GTA is centered around Yonge and Front, which includes both the skyline and the urban footprint.
Not really, the true center is several km west of Yonge, probably around Humber Bay, you can see in this photo from space that about 1/3 of the built up area is to the east of Yonge and about 2/3 is to the west.

Here's a wider one that includes the entire golden horseshoe and Buffalo...

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 7:24 PM

Those pictures are really cool, love satellite pics at night. That said, you conveniently used a pic which includes Burlington and excludes Oshawa and Whitby to make your argument. GTA includes both. Yonge isn't literally exactly in the center, but it's pretty damn close. Everything else sprawls out around it.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 7:50 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I was including the urbanised areas out Barrie way when I said it was sort of T shaped.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
I like that Toronto's urban zone and Skyline are both roughly T shaped.
Don't give them any ideas..Maybe one day you may be flying overhead, and the skyline will resemble a Maple leaf!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 8:23 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Don't give them any ideas..Maybe one day you may be flying overhead, and the skyline will resemble a Maple leaf!
Quebec City is the maple leaf shaped one.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 12:06 AM
I am a typical

The centre of the "main" part of the GTA is roughly the former city of York.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 3:41 AM

That's a cool shot of Montreal and Ottawa!

I've always thought night time satellite shots are really the best way to measure the size of a metro area.

Looking strickly on a map you would think Vancouver is just one big sprawl but when you see it illuminated you realize how much has absolutely no population at all like Burns Bog, Half of Richmond due to the ALR, Burnaby MT, UBC etc.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada