HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 2:48 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespidel View Post
Touchdown Atlantic II APPROVED! By Moncton city council tonite!

Tickest go on sale in two weeks and the official announcement in days! A done deal, Sept. 25/2011, Stamps and Tiger Cats!
You called that one correctly wespidel - http://www.journalpioneer.com/Sports...cton-Sept-25/1

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 3:13 AM

the location they were talking about was shannon park because he refered to CTV news crews being there
i watched that and also noticed that they decided to film there

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 4:33 AM

I'm hopeful this will go through. After the battle that I've seen go on in Hamilton in which it looked like at one point a new stadium would not be built, I'm confident if that city council approved a new stadium it can happen anywhere.

Anyway my point and suggestion is to review what happened in Hamilton and learn from it. The legacy component of that stadium will be a soccer academy for the greater Hamilton area, a pro soccer team and of course the Ticats. I think something similar could be done in Halifax for a soccer academy, pro soccer team (maybe NASL - division 2 soccer) CIS football and soccer, and hopefully a CFL team. In fact because of the CIS component this stadium could have greater benefit to Halifax then the new Ivor Wynne will in Hamilton.

Just my 2 cents.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 4:44 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yeah, I think that to make the stadium a worthwhile project it has to be useful for multiple purposes and host events that a wide number of people can participate in (not sure how expensive CFL tickets are).

Shannon Park appeals to me as a physically attractive site -- imagine a nice stadium in aerial photos of the harbour. Of course, when I think stadium in the back of my mind I'm picturing this, which probably isn't what will be built in Halifax:

Source

That Rankin comment is typical for HRM council and makes me look forward to some URB-imposed trimming of councillors. They're paid to be experts about important municipal issues. They should have more informed , well-considered opinions.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 7:05 AM

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 1:33 PM

City to spend $100,000 for stadium study, hearings

chronicleherald.ca

By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE City Hall Reporter
Wed, Feb 9 - 7:32 AM

City hall moved Tuesday to explore the idea of building a sports stadium.

Regional council authorized a $100,000 expense to cover a consultant’s feasibility study and public input process.

The move pushes Halifax Regional Municipality a step closer to taking part in an international soccer tournament, should Canada beat Zimbabwe for the hosting rights for the 2015 women’s World Cup. The city is the only Canadian site interested in taking part in the event that does not already have a stadium.

But a senior municipal staffer said that could work in Halifax’s favour because FIFA, the world governing body for soccer, wants host cities to have a legacy component hooked to their proposed participation.

Though council overwhelmingly supported the consultant’s research into whether there’s a sound business case for building a stadium, some councillors said they’ll reserve judgment on an actual construction project.

A proposed stadium would cost $30 million to $60 million, council heard.

Councillors don’t know where the stadium would be built, or which funding partners would pay what share of the cost, or how much operating costs would be, or what kind of maintenance expenses might be required.

Coun. Bob Harvey (Lower Sackville) said one thing he does know is the proposed stadium had better have a roof. The venue, if it gets built, would host not only sports events but entertainment spectacles and other happenings.

For the FIFA competition, a host city is required to provide an outdoor stadium with a minimum of 20,000 seats. Events Nova Scotia has paid a non-refundable $25,000 deposit in support of the city’s proposal.

Coun. Steve Streatch (Eastern Shore-Musquodoboit Valley) and Coun. Tim Outhit (Bedford) each said he reluctantly backed the $100,000 study and public consultation process but vowed to jump off the stadium bandwagon if the business case is not to his liking.

Staff told council that the community consultation will probably resemble the process for the new main branch library on Spring Garden Road in Halifax.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 1:43 PM

From Rick Howe's Rant this morning:

http://www.halifaxnewsnet.ca/Blog-Ar...bruary-9th2011

Quote:
Council also decided yesterday to earmark $100,000 to explore the possibility of getting an outdoor sports stadium for the city. Some councillors, like Bedford's Tim Outhit reluctantly backed the study. Outhit told my radio show this week he doesn't see it as a priority right now considering the many other projects the city's committed money to including that proposed downtown convention centre. The cash approved yesterday will help determine if there's a business case for a stadium. Considering Halifax is the only major Canadian city without such a facility, the move towards a stadium is long overdue.

One question mark about the proposed stadium is its location. Defence Minister Peter MacKay has made it clear he'd like to see Halifax get a stadium and he mentioned again this week the Shannon Park lands might be an ideal location. That area has indeed been an eyesore for too long. I think it's a perfect location for a stadium. Others have suggested city-owned land in the Burnside Industrial Park where there's already a couple of all-season sports fields or even out by Exhibition Park off the Prospect Road.

I had a chance to chat yesterday with CFL Commissioner Mark Cohon about Halifax's chances of ever landing a franchise. He was non-committal obviously but did mention the lack of a stadium. Cohon says the league's priority is to get a team back in Ottawa, then turn its eyes east. Moncton has the edge right now with its 10,000 seat stadium that can be converted temporarily to a 20,000 seater, but Cohon would like to see a permanent seating capacity of over 20,000 should the league expand to Atlantic Canada. Moncton will be hosting another regular season league game this year likely involving the Hamilton Tiger Cats. That team's stadium is being renovated this year forcing the Tiger Cats on the road. Their opponents in Moncton and the date for the game haven't yet been announced
It appears that Peter Mackay likes the stadium idea which should make significant federal funding likely. He also seems to be open to Shannon Park lands being made available.

And another important note seems to be the positive media coverage so far.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 1:53 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
City to spend $100,000 for stadium study, hearings

chronicleherald.ca

By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE City Hall Reporter
Wed, Feb 9 - 7:32 AM

City hall moved Tuesday to explore the idea of building a sports stadium.

Regional council authorized a $100,000 expense to cover a consultant’s feasibility study and public input process.
Thanks for posting the story and link. Comments can be posted on that story at the Chronicle Herald website. (hopefully the comments will be in support of a stadium). The link was posted by q12, but here it is again - http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1...#comment-26223

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 3:57 PM

Found this on CBC this morning - something to think about for Halifax's stadium.

Que. arena could get federal gas tax funds
Quebec City mayor expected to announce arena project's green light Thursday

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's government has a new plan to funnel millions of federal tax dollars into a controversial plan to build a new NHL arena in Quebec City, CBC News has learned.

Sources tell CBC News that the Conservative government is considering allowing part of the federal gas tax revenues to be used for construction of "large entertainment centres" such as the proposed new Quebec City arena.

Cities and towns across the country currently share an annual pot of just over $2 billion from the federal gas taxes collected at the pumps.

While municipalities are free to pick their own projects, the federal government stipulates the gas-tax money can only be used for infrastructure such as roads, sewers and water treatment systems.

Sources say the Harper government is considering simply amending the federal regulations to allow municipalities to spend all or part of their annual gas-tax funds on entertainment facilities such as a new NHL arena.

The necessary regulatory changes could be included in the next federal budget expected to be introduced in March.

Meanwhile, Radio-Canada is reporting Quebec City Mayor Régis Labeaume will announce Thursday morning that the Quebec arena project has the official green light. Premier Jean Charest will also be on hand for the announcement, Radio-Canada reports.

The federal gas tax scheme is the latest attempt by the Harper government to manage what has become an explosive political issue for the Conservatives both in Quebec and elsewhere across the country.

Most Conservative MPs from Quebec have openly championed federal funding for the proposed new arena, and now fear that a failure to deliver federal cash might well cost them their seats in the next federal election.

But the notion of throwing potentially hundreds of millions of dollars at a professional hockey arena in Quebec City has ignited equally heated controversy outside the province, especially among Conservatives in the West.

Peladeau an arena supporter
The plan to use revenues from the gas tax is intended to appease both sides in the debate.

On the one hand, Conservatives outside Quebec will argue that the government isn't giving the municipalities more money for arenas, just changing the rules on how existing funds can be spent.

Quebec City, on the other hand, can argue that the cost of the new arena is being shared with all levels of government, including Ottawa through its contribution of gas-tax revenues.

One way or another, any move to involve Canadian taxpayers in a professional sports stadium is bound to be controversial.

One of those pushing hardest for the new Quebec arena is media mogul and billionaire Pierre Karl Peladeau, who has reportedly pledged millions of dollars to the project.

A new arena is pivotal to Peladeau's apparent plan to buy an NHL franchise and bring it to Quebec City.

Peladeau's Quebecor Inc. owns newspapers and television networks, and would stand to make huge profits from the broadcasting and advertising rights attached to an NHL franchise.

Some Conservative MPs are concerned that after taxpayers spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a new Quebec City arena, the NHL may not agree to putting a franchise there.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2011/...#ixzz1DTgClkL1

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 5:28 PM

Just having a look on worldstadiums.com at some future stadiums under construction.

Netanya Stadium in Isreal looks interresting.

Built in 2 stages:

First Stage capacity is 14,000 seats
Final Stage is 24,000

and construction cost is 32.5 million Canadian dollars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netanya_Stadium

Looks like it might be bench seating which is why it would be cheap. Adding seats would probably keep the price still reasonable.

Last edited by q12; Feb 9, 2011 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 6:34 PM
Honored Member

The Netanya Stadium looks very good. It is very similar to the Reebok Stadium in the UK which was built for £25 million in 1997 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reebok_Stadium . It makes me think that a very nice stadium could be built for $60 - $70 million dollars. The Reebok Stadium even has a hotel built into it.

(source: http://www.myspace.com/danny_emo_vox/blog/292857353 )

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 7:29 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

£25M in 1997 is probably equivalent to much more than $60M today, although UK construction costs may also be higher.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 7:50 PM

Ok how about this in Shannon Park? (Not to scale but you get the point.)

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Just listened to 95.7 and Mr. Cohen sounds like he would be interested in talking to Halifax about a franchise as he has been watching the stadium idea progress in Halifax. He said 25,000 is the magic number but sounds like 23,000+ would probably suffice.

And congrats to fenwick.

Who would have thought when you started this thread over a year ago we would have made it to this point this quickly!!
Is there a link that I can listen to the interview at?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 8:42 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
You have to remember that the riders are the most popular sports team in Canada even more than the leafs or habs I would say at this moment in time. Also sask. is booming with all the oil and potash money right now. I still think Halifax being the major centre of atlantic Canada should be able to build a stadium between 100-125 million dollars.
False.

They are the most popular team in the CFL... The population of Leafs/Habs fans is probably bigger than all of western Canada.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 9:42 PM
Closed account

account deleted

Last edited by brettinhalifax; Mar 8, 2011 at 4:14 AM. Reason: account deleted

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 9:55 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
A "business case" only makes sense for something like this if you can quantify the benefit to the public. The overall benefit, not monetary profit, is why the HRM is looking at building a stadium.

Good to hear that they've commissioned a study that will put a variety of options on the table. It's usually a disaster when councillors speculate.
I received a message form Councillor Fisher who read your post:

Quote:
Hi Kevin,
Hope all is well. I see from skyscraper that your group is up to date on what is going on-good to see you all following along and posting your thoughts.
Please feel free to mention to someone123 that council is not paid to be experts on important municipal issues, we decide on important issues after gaining information from experts. Big difference. There are lots of hoops to go thru to get a stadium built, we deal with lots of personal attacks from the folks who don't want one built, but this seems to me to be the first Council bashing I have seen from someone who is in favour of a stadium.

Take care, all the best,

Darren
I believe Councillor Fisher's remarks were in a lighthearted manner. I have to agree, we tend to think that Councillors should know everything and be blamed for everything, which isn't really the case.

I really appreciate the fact that Mayor Kelly, Councillor Fisher, Councillor Hendsbee and Councillor Sloane are sticking their necks out to support a stadium and taking verbal shots from all the naysayers in the HRM (I don't mean someone123, I am thinking of the dedicated naysayers who oppose everything. I know that someone123 is in favour as are most people on this online forum.)

Last edited by fenwick16; Feb 10, 2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: I took out the bold font - sorry about the emphasis on one sentence!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Just having a look on worldstadiums.com at some future stadiums under construction.

Netanya Stadium in Isreal looks interresting.

Built in 2 stages:

First Stage capacity is 14,000 seats
Final Stage is 24,000

and construction cost is 32.5 million Canadian dollars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netanya_Stadium

Looks like it might be bench seating which is why it would be cheap. Adding seats would probably keep the price still reasonable.
Wow they can build that for $32 million? What in the world are we doing wrong? I mean Hamilton's renovation is $154 million. Is there something I am missing in this stadium? I always thought you could build a decent new stadium for less than $80 million (Akron's InfoCision stadium and Cardiff City Stadium come to mind) and this shows it. Why is Hamilton's so expensive? I know they are practically rebuilding the entire stadium, but it still seems very high.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I believe Councillor Fisher's remarks were in a lighthearted manner. I have to agree, we tend to think that Councillors should know everything and be blamed for everything, which isn't really the case.

I really appreciate the fact that Mayor Kelly, Councillor Fisher, Councillor Hendsbee and Councillor Sloane are sticking their necks out to support a stadium and taking verbal shots from all the naysayers in the HRM (I don't mean someone123, I am thinking of the dedicated naysayers who oppose everything. I know that someone123 is in favour as are most people on this online forum.)
I agree. We are on the right path in regards to a stadium, and I appreciate councillors who will wait to make an informed opinion. I think most people in Halifax know their is a need for proper stadium infrastructure to ensure Halifax remains a "world class city" that we can all be proud of.

With funding potentially from all levels of government and the private sector it will be clear to see that a stadium can be easily affordable. Especially when you compare it to the cost of the 4-pad arena in Hammonds Plains. And a stadium will have benefits for the entire region.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 10:44 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmont View Post

It is good to see you posting on this thread again dmont. PS: I wonder if we still need a stadium logo? Maybe now the focus should be on a CFL team logo. It will be tough to top the Atlantic Schooners logo (in my opinion):

(source: http://www.sportslogos.net/dev2/logo...lou94uvq1kf7xn )

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment