HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I didn't get to tune into the debate - what exactly was the problem that council had?
Oh, they all had their own issues. Watts said it would take away from other more important (to her) things like bike lanes and cultural activities. Barkhouse didn't believe the economic numbers. Streatch seemed to have a concern about too much spending. One of them, I forget who, didn't trust FIFA and felt they were being blackmailed to make a quick decision. A few others didn't like it because it wouldn't be in their area. All the usual parochial thinking, none of them see the big picture.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 12:44 AM
Honored Member

I didn't see the Council discussion. Of the Councillors who voted against were there any who voted against because 10,000 seats is too small?

A number of the current CFL stadiums are fairly basic - McMahon Stadium (large but quite basic), Commonwealth Stadium (very large and impressive, but it is also a fairly basic design), and Montreal's Percival Molson Stadium. The Argonauts would like to move to an expanded BMO Filed. Instead of thinking small, just think bigger but more basic.

This was in the Halifax News Net - http://www.halifaxnewsnet.ca/Blog-Ar...August-2nd2011
Quote:
Rick's Rants Tuesday August 2nd/2011

Send it back to the drawing board!! and A preview of future times??

Send it back! Halifax city council today will discuss a citizen's committee report on whether a multi-purpose sports stadium is worth pursuing. The committee is recommending council go to the next phase of the effort, a closer look at details like cost, location and design. Where the committee falls short however, at least in my opinion, is its suggestion we limit ourselves to a 10,000 seat stadium, expandable to 20,000 when necessary, as in the possibility of hosting a 2015 FIFA World Cup women's soccer match. The group's best guess is that a ten thousand seater would lose nearly a half million dollars a year but generation several million to the local economy. Building a larger stadium with a 20,000 seat capacity, expandable by another 5,000, would open the door to more concerts, special events and perhaps one day a CFL franchise. We need a sports stadium. Let's get it right and get it done!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 1:14 AM

any chance the vote was a urban rural divide?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 1:26 AM
BANNED

Fenwick I gave you another chance to be decent previously, not anyone!

Because you are not a decent respectful person, you think you can push people around and make ignorant remarks about people`s posts and people just take your rude ignorant nature only because you think your right from a far and actually Fenwick people really disrespect you and your nature so get lost and please don`t ever read my posts again or make any further comments about me personally. I think you belong with all the ignorant negative councillors!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 1:38 AM
opinionated so and so

Council did not vote, decision was deferred to next week.

There was no urban/rural divide.

There were concerns from some councillors which simply put are "do we have the money". The budget implications of $250-495,000 a year (depreciation and operating) are not insignificant when the Rec budget is only $17 million a year.

Right now HRM has a capital project plan for the next 5 years, total capital budget is about $145 million a year, and this does not include HRMs contribution to this project.

Interestingly Smith and a couple more rural type councillors really wanted to know if the Province and Feds would contribute before deciding, but I think neither will confirm support until there is a firm plan, so I am not sure what that is all about.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 2:41 AM

It enourages me to see Ricks Rant. A little pressure to make it a proper regional stadium never hurts.

I recommend everyone pick a councilor to contact and say so, ever so politely. If you're out of province, call the councilor from your elementary!

go dogs go!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 2:42 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There can't really be urban-rural deadlocks in regional council. Arguably the only rural district is district 1. Areas like St. Margaret's/Hammonds Plains or Fall River are suburban. The people who live in those areas aren't farmers or fishermen, they're commuters with the same sorts of jobs as people who live in the city.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 4:01 AM
Salty Town

It really is too bad that the Provincial Gov. doesn't recognize Halifax as a cash cow for them. Personal and corporate taxes from the HRM keep that pathetic little government going. Dexter should fund the stadium 100% as a thank you for having such a great resource to keep them going. Take 80 million from the fake surplus of $569 million and support the only chance for this province to struggle out of an enormous economic hole by building a great Capital City which includes a stadium.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
The budget implications of $250-495,000 a year (depreciation and operating) are not insignificant when the Rec budget is only $17 million a year.

Right now HRM has a capital project plan for the next 5 years, total capital budget is about $145 million a year, and this does not include HRMs contribution to this project.
This is a good point - as you note; some of the other Councillors wanted to know if there was federal or provincial money coming into this. That's a reasonable question all things considered. There was certainly talk of federal money from the things Peter McKay has said.

I also agree with Watts (I know; you all think I'm crazy) - but where her thought doesn't reach its appropriate conclusion is that any approval of any project takes money away from other projects. It's a decision game where council makes the choice. That's part of politics and that is the way it works. So if a bike lane gets differed this year, that's the will of council.

You think HRM is cash strapped - you should see the capital budget for Calgary. The wish list is huge and we scrapped the bottom of the barrel to commit to funding the airport tunnel. There is literally not a dime in the capital budget for the next 7 years - nothing. No new projects can be approved unless we get money from somewhere else. At least HRM appears to have some breathing room - we don't and we have a way bigger tax base.

The one thing that Watts and other members (like Barkhouse) seem to always miss, is that not all things the city operates make money. If everything had to make money, then you would be paying admission fees to Point Pleasant Park and the Public Gardens. You may laugh at that thought - but it would be the only way to pay back the cost of operations. If the city wants to progress, now is the time with the population growth that's been occurring. It's either that or way longer and let Moncton truly become the better city. I'm not knocking Moncton - but they are far more progressive.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 11:07 AM
Salty Town

• the funding options should have part of phase one....this council can't decide unless they are handed a blank cheque
  • more emphasis should be placed on economic spinoff activity....spinoffs are not a handout but need to be earned by having vision and investing in infrastructure
  • the Watts school of thought is old hat. A stadium is a long overdue piece of infrastructure and should have been built in 1983 or at least funds should have been raised since then. No it doesn't make money so why not close the museums, parks, libraries, commons, skate parks, and rec centres.
  • I would like to hear the rationale of how Halifax can't have a stadium when it is likely the only municipality of its size in North American without one
  • there seems to be no thought given to the endless stream of negative publicity and can't do attitude that fosters here
  • there seems to be no thought given to the possibilities of events like the 2015 FIFA World Cup could bring to the region

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 11:46 AM
BANNED

Fenwick why don`t you blast Empire!

He`s basicly saying the same thing I been saying and he`s right!

One other comment about some of your rude remarks about me you made. I have stated before that I have always accurately stated the facts which have been proven to be true time and again and yes Fenwick you emailed me many times directly searching for information which I provided you willingly and some private information as well and that is fact and the real truth. There is no tricks other than yours!

Fenwick you have shown your true colours and I`m done with you and I put you in the same category with Waye Mason!

Just a couple of comments that the decent people on here may appreciate!

I stated I thought there was a Nussli influence in relation to the presentation made a city hall. The drawnings that continue to be shown on local TV are all Nussli`s drawnings and I believe because they stated that they can only go to 30 thousand seats total with a modular design makes me believe that the companies they hired could be attached to Nussli or being farmed out. I`m stated what was said at city hall yesterday. There was no indication that their modular stadium system could host a large concert or a Grey Cup which today has to be an option inorder to attract a CFL owner! It`s that crucial!

I feel the Vic Chair of the advisory board is definitely invloved heavily with Saint Marys and Soccer NS and the community groups and that is why he has recommended only to build a 10 thousand seat stadium. It`s unbelievable to think he has more power and can make that decision over Mayor Kelly and the rest of the council and province.

I made a comment about that they, the advisory committee, didn`t listen to any professional advice. What I was referring to was the CFL commissioner Mark Cohon and Peter MacKay indicated there were huge incentives and opportunities and National events that could become a reality if they were to build a major stadium which Peter MacKay stated publicly last week after talking with Mark Cohon and yet the Vic chair and his supporters chose to focus on their needs and wants only and not even considered the real sports fan and the many entertainment supporters that want a major stadium to attract major events.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 12:22 PM
BANNED

Mayor Kelly on 95.7 talk radio!

Just to confirm, Mayor Kelly just quoted that Halifax needs a 25,000 permanent seat stadium that Halifax doesn`t want to cut themselves short and needs to build it for the future and that it needs to be multi purpose facility and at a location where other commerical building projects can be added, to cover the overall cost, like two new arenas and other commerical projects!

Mayor Kelly knows what is going on and I have the most utmost respect for him!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespidel View Post
Just to confirm, Mayor Kelly just quoted that Halifax needs a 25,000 permanent seat stadium that Halifax doesn`t want to cut themselves short and needs to build it for the future and that it needs to be multi purpose facility and at a location where other commerical building projects can be added, to cover the overall cost, like two new arenas and other commerical projects!

Mayor Kelly knows what is going on and I have the most utmost respect for him!
These are the days I wish there was no council and just a mayor...

Quote:
Rick's Rants
[Professional Blog] Rick's Rants Wednesday August 3rd/2011
http://www.halifaxnewsnet.ca/Blog-Ar...August-3rd2011
Stadium stalemate!!

Let the games begin!! Only I wish we were talking about sporting games in a new multi-purpose sports stadium on the Shannon Park lands overlooking the harbour and Halifax's skyline. No, they're the games politicians play with the whiff of a pending election in the air. Common sense, what there is of it, goes out the window. This city needs a stadium. We are the only Canadian city of any significant size without one. It would open the doors to all kinds of possibilities including a shot at hosting a World Cup soccer match and provide local sports groups, especially football and soccer, with first rate facilities. And maybe one day, a CFL franchise. How much will it cost? What size should it be? Where should it be located? How much will be cost-shared? Is the private sector on board? These are the questions that need to be answered before deciding whether to proceed with a committment. It will cost $275,000 to answer these questions.
Memo to city council: Stop playing games, approve phase 2 and let's see if this thing is doable.
It's a good thing that Rick is putting the pressure on council with the media.

Quote:
Council debates stadium study
Councillors split on spending $275,000 on more research
By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE City Hall Reporter
Wed, Aug 3 - 4:54 AM
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1256428.html

Coun. Dawn Sloane (Halifax Downtown), a member of the steering group, said by exploring the notion further council can make an informed decision later. And she raised the spectre of the 2012 municipal election in remarks directed at some colleagues.

"In 14 months there’s going to be an election, and everybody here is freaking out about it," said Sloane.

"And this is one reason why some of us are looking at this and maybe not voting to go to the second step. I think that’s the wrong way to go."
If Downtown Dawn reads this I wonder if she can point out to the other councilors that if they are freaking out over the election and smaller council than they should know that there is STRONG support for the stadium in all districts and it could be political suicide if they are opposing this stadium project.

We can either be a world class municipality or we can be left in the dark ages...

Last edited by q12; Aug 3, 2011 at 3:37 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 5:01 PM

I know we've gotten away from discussing possible locations for a stadium - but did anyone think about the old Moir's Chocolate factory site in Woodside? Someone mentioned it on the CBC website and I wasn't sure if it had been mentioned?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 5:13 PM
opinionated so and so

Moirs has been redeveloped already, at some cost. Shopping and educational use (NSCC aviation institute is there).

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Moirs has been redeveloped already, at some cost. Shopping and educational use (NSCC aviation institute is there).
I could see that from the streetview - but still, if it hadn't been it would've been a good spot. I'm sure it could've fit the stadium being proposed, let alone something bigger.

Oh well...something to think about in the future.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 6:32 PM
Promoting Nova Scotia

Province KIck it gear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
It really is too bad that the Provincial Gov. doesn't recognize Halifax as a cash cow for them. Personal and corporate taxes from the HRM keep that pathetic little government going. Dexter should fund the stadium 100% as a thank you for having such a great resource to keep them going. Take 80 million from the fake surplus of $569 million and support the only chance for this province to struggle out of an enormous economic hole by building a great Capital City which includes a stadium.
I think you make a valid point on the funding....where is the Provincial Govt on this? I'm not saying that we are not in debt to our ears but.......the Dexter govt has make some horrific choices....$200 million for forest that we went deeper in debt for....then the surprize hey we have a surplus!!! but tis not really surplus....whats up!!! ....Support the Stadium...they should immediately say if its going ahead they will at least pony up 1/3 of the capital.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Stadium View Post
I think you make a valid point on the funding....where is the Provincial Govt on this? I'm not saying that we are not in debt to our ears but.......the Dexter govt has make some horrific choices....$200 million for forest that we went deeper in debt for....then the surprize hey we have a surplus!!! but tis not really surplus....whats up!!! ....Support the Stadium...they should immediately say if its going ahead they will at least pony up 1/3 of the capital.
I agree where is Dexter? He's got us up to the most taxed province in the country.

We know the Mayor wants a 25,000 seater (Municipal)

Peter Mackay wants a 25,000 seater (Federal)

Premier is no where to be found.....

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 8:42 PM

CBC NEWS HALIFAX @ 5:30 just aired a story on the stadium that talked about stadium site locations and how the Mayor and Peter Mackay prefer Dartmouth (burnside) or Shannon Park for obvious reasons. Than the reporter said there is the issue of will people from Halifax go to a stadium in Dartmouth?

Are you serious? Do they go to shop in Mic Mac Mall or Dartmouth Crossing?

The reporter than interviewed someone from SMU and Sue Uteck. Sue Uteck said she would not go to a SMU game if it was held in Dartmouth.

I am a SMU alumni. I live in Halifax. I will go to a SMU game in Dartmouth.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 8:51 PM

After reading that, I was literally just a few seconds away from hitting my head on my desk. WTF!!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment