HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
Don't know if it's been mentioned but Crombie is putting a Thai Express in the Scotia Square food court. As far as food court food is concerned, I actually like Thai Express and it's a bit different than what's currently being offered.
I'm suffering from a little Thai burnout myself (lol... not to be taken literally). Don't know what the stats are but I would guess a good 50%+ of new restaurant startups in the past couple of years have been Thai food. Like it, but like variety in my restaurants.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 5:03 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I'm suffering from a little Thai burnout myself (lol... not to be taken literally). Don't know what the stats are but I would guess a good 50%+ of new restaurant startups in the past couple of years have been Thai food. Like it, but like variety in my restaurants.
Yeah it seems to be that way for sure. Perhaps Thai is the new fro-yo or gourmet burger. Halifax is good at taking an idea and making a million different restaurants all serving the same thing.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
Yeah it seems to be that way for sure. Perhaps Thai is the new fro-yo or gourmet burger. Halifax is good at taking an idea and making a million different restaurants all serving the same thing.
So true!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 10:18 AM

Rocco's has closed after 21 years in Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxRetales View Post
Should never have moved to the suburbs.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Should never have moved to the suburbs.
Plenty restos in peninsula Halifax hurting - fewer diners, late arrival of summer, fewer tourists = less hours for staff, lower revenue. There will be more closures before the New Year.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 2:53 AM
Dartmouth Girl

I've worked at the Sobeys up on Baker since it opened.. right across the parking lot from Rocco's .. honestly it kind of boggled my mind that they stayed open this long. There hasn't been a real "crowd" there in quite some time. The only business usually came in the mid-afternoon to the supper hours. Leaving at night, sometimes they'd be open, sometimes they'd be closed. I never actually ate there myself.

I find the area up on Baker Drive to be a fickle thing when it comes to small businesses. The only restaurant that's managed to keep itself above water up there is Sams Seafood. The Manhattan Pizza didn't last very long.. the "It's all Greek to me" and then Rocco's filling it's spot. That small plaza has a lot of vacancies, still... not typical for other retail plaza's in the city after nearly 5 years. The dry cleaners and small salon closed up there in the last few months as well. That area is so strange.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxRetales View Post
Too bad, it was a good restaurant. Not a good location for foot traffic but was really easy to get to. Seems in this town nobody wants to go 10 minutes out of their way to go somewhere, even if it's a little better than the rest.

Wanted to go there for one of their great caesar salads (prepared at your table) recently, but arrived around closing time (thought they were open till 9 instead of 8). At that time it looked like a good closing time crowd was inside.

Looks like I'll have to make my own caesar now - not too many places to get a really good one in the city.

Also a fan of their cannelloni, not that it matters now.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 10:50 PM

I walked along Dresden Row earlier today and noticed signs for two restaurants opening soon. "Forbidden City" will open in the former Moda space across from Pete's (I see that Halifax ReTales reported this a couple of days ago). There are also signs in the windows of the former Susie's Cupcakes space for "Alex Oh Sushi and Rolls".

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Too bad, it was a good restaurant. Not a good location for foot traffic but was really easy to get to. Seems in this town nobody wants to go 10 minutes out of their way to go somewhere, even if it's a little better than the rest.

Wanted to go there for one of their great caesar salads (prepared at your table) recently, but arrived around closing time (thought they were open till 9 instead of 8). At that time it looked like a good closing time crowd was inside.

Looks like I'll have to make my own caesar now - not too many places to get a really good one in the city.

Also a fan of their cannelloni, not that it matters now.
Too bad. I always wanted to try their Caesar salads. Went there one nite a few weeks after they opened the new location and they were packed, never got back. I got as far as the front door and remember mentioning to my party just how good that place smelled MMM Garlic!!!

I have a soft spot for Caesar salads, particularly ones made at my table. Back in the day, the old Airport Hotel had a very good restaurant. They also made salads at the table. One of the best I ever had. I even managed to sweet talk the recipe out of them which served as the starting point for my awesome (if I do say so my self) salad dressing.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby074 View Post
Too bad. I always wanted to try their Caesar salads. Went there one nite a few weeks after they opened the new location and they were packed, never got back. I got as far as the front door and remember mentioning to my party just how good that place smelled MMM Garlic!!!

I have a soft spot for Caesar salads, particularly ones made at my table. Back in the day, the old Airport Hotel had a very good restaurant. They also made salads at the table. One of the best I ever had. I even managed to sweet talk the recipe out of them which served as the starting point for my awesome (if I do say so my self) salad dressing.
Yep, they were "you can still taste it the next day and still like it" good - lots of garlic if you wanted it that way.

Never ate at the Airport Hotel, but it sounds like it was good.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
I walked along Dresden Row earlier today and noticed signs for two restaurants opening soon. "Forbidden City" will open in the former Moda space across from Pete's (I see that Halifax ReTales reported this a couple of days ago). There are also signs in the windows of the former Susie's Cupcakes space for "Alex Oh Sushi and Rolls".
I was joking the other day that we should when AlexOh was announced that we should call Dresden little Hakodate.

but that would be disrespectful to Jin Chenge and now Forbidden City.

take a look at Forbidden City's menu lots of traditional Chinese not all sweet and sour chicken

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 1:45 PM

The Seahorse is moving from Argyle Street to the Marquee building on Gottingen. I'm not sure if it's going to occupy the whole building or just a portion of it but there are signs announcing the move on the windows of the Marquee.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
The Seahorse is moving from Argyle Street to the Marquee building on Gottingen. I'm not sure if it's going to occupy the whole building or just a portion of it but there are signs announcing the move on the windows of the Marquee.
I make the motion that the Seahorse tavern can move, but the name stays where it is; it's against the laws of physics that the Seahorse tavern can move location.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 11:31 PM

The Starbucks in Burnside is now open at the Harbour Isle development.

Any word on what might be occupying the other space in the building?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 5:22 PM

Freshii is opening in the old DQ in Burnside

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 6:04 PM

"Modern Shanghai Bistro" has opened in the former Greek Village space on Quinpool.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 3:27 PM

I noticed that the former Kel's deli on Wyse road in Dartmouth has a sign up for 'Paradise Syrian and Multicultural food'; be nice to have something different in Dartmouth, something mid-Eastern could be great.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 2:11 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Milestone's Grill & Bar is looking for franchisees in Halifax (Moncton too).

http://www.carafranchising.com/milestones/home.html

They are a really good quality steakhouse type chain restaurant. They are in the process of opening a restaurant in St. John's NL.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 3:14 PM

all kinds of activity in Scotia Square/ Barrington Placearea

Freshii is open
Thai Express is open
Korea Garden will be back in a couple weeks
Dill Pickle open in Granville Mall where Sams Machiatto was
Coffee and Colours moving from Pedway to where Brussels was
Italian Market opening a lunch counter in the current Coffee and Colours space
and Mezza expected in the food court late Nov

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment