HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Summit in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 4:14 AM

From the Earthcam

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 2:31 PM

There are four cranes in this photo...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 2:39 PM

^A taste of whats to come!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 4:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
There are four cranes in this photo...
Actually looks like 5.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
Actually looks like 5.
There are technically 5. Although, the one at the 3601 Market site is only a temporary crane to put up the tower crane.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
There are technically 5. Although, the one at the 3601 Market site is only a temporary crane to put up the tower crane.
Shame the crane isn't up yet for the 38th and Chestnut project.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 5:31 PM

Article about this and some picture updates from the Philadelphia Real Estate Blog

http://blog.philadelphiarealestate.c...venue-revival/

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 6:02 PM

at the end of the article it says drexel has plans for a twin tower where 7-eleven is. i wonder when they plan for that to happen.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Article about this and some picture updates from the Philadelphia Real Estate Blog

http://blog.philadelphiarealestate.c...venue-revival/

Sounds like Drexel will be building another tower across the street from this one?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Sounds like Drexel will be building another tower across the street from this one?
You know - this is something I have heard mentioned on here before, but never in a Drexel publication or master plan.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan84 View Post
You know - this is something I have heard mentioned on here before, but never in a Drexel publication or master plan.

On page 134 they show new buildings at the intersection of 34th/Lancaster... Though they don't show highrises for either building.

http://drexelmasterplan.files.wordpr...-2-28-2012.pdf

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaldDeth81 View Post
On page 134 they show new buildings at the intersection of 34th/Lancaster... Though they don't show highrises for either building.

http://drexelmasterplan.files.wordpr...-2-28-2012.pdf
Yes - there is this sketch of what they hope a revived Lancaster corridor could look like - but in the following pages the plan only mentions the Hess Laboratories site. (The one currently under development.)

I think this artist interpretation is meant to show development that they hope will be made possible because of Drexel's investment in the Lancaster corridor, but does not constitute an actual Drexel facility as far as I have ever seen specifically proposed.

At any rate - if it is part of Drexel vision, it has not shown up on any chatter for the next few years of their development, unlike their hotel at 33/Chestnut or the "Superblock" on JFK, or the Center for Jewish Life (which would be just up 34th).

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 9:45 PM

I would rather Drexel focus any future highrise growth around 30th Street station. The rest of University City is well off for the future and is not only seeing large scale investment from other institutions, but is starting to see large scale investment from real estate developers as well (38Chestnut, 3601 Market, etc). The area around 30th St Station needs a serious jump kick... and this whole Drexel/Amtrak/Brandywine/UPenn collaboration will be the perfect thing to get things moving in the area.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I would rather Drexel focus any future highrise growth around 30th Street station. The rest of University City is well off for the future and is not only seeing large scale investment from other institutions, but is starting to see large scale investment from real estate developers as well (38Chestnut, 3601 Market, etc). The area around 30th St Station needs a serious jump kick... and this whole Drexel/Amtrak/Brandywine/UPenn collaboration will be the perfect thing to get things moving in the area.

Honestly, there are presently so many massive, large scale undeveloped parcels immediately next to 30th street station, that coming up with these huge plans to develop even more under-utilized land seems a bit like putting the cart before the horse?

Shouldn't we develop what's there, build up a critical mass of energy (right now it's a relative dead zone)--and then transition over to the railyards? This all seems like a waste of resources and money at this time.

New York and (i think) SF are developing their railyards b/c these areas are some of the few large scale developable plots in their cores. It's just not the case here.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Honestly, there are presently so many massive, large scale undeveloped parcels immediately next to 30th street station, that coming up with these huge plans to develop even more under-utilized land seems a bit like putting the cart before the horse?

Shouldn't we develop what's there, build up a critical mass of energy (right now it's a relative dead zone)--and then transition over to the railyards? This all seems like a waste of resources and money at this time.

New York and (i think) SF are developing their railyards b/c these areas are some of the few large scale developable plots in their cores. It's just not the case here.
That's what I mean. Develop what is available now around 30th Street station, and then move on to the railyards after that.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post

The Hudson Yards development is going to be a good case study for developing over the rail yards. I am not really worried about the undeveloped parcels around 30th street. If HY is any indication as soon as the office buildings start to go up there will be plenty of residential to follow. You add 6.5 million square feet of office over the rail yards and the other undeveloped parcels will take care of themselves.

The real question in my mind is would office tenants prefer to be here at 30th St station or over on Market East. Both locations have a lot of positives and enough underutilized land to be able to support 5-10 million square feet of new construction. If FMC Tower rapidly fills up I could see the next big parcel to watch would be 34th and Market. After that the next logical step in University City is the rail yards if we are talking about large tenant footprints.

Last edited by Jelly Roll; Feb 27, 2014 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 11:33 PM

I think some of the reason for developing these long term plans and understanding feasibility for the rail yards is so that what is developed now in the short term will be compatible with what will be developed there (rail yards) in the future.

Develop an overall game plan so in 50 years the whole area doesn't seem like a hot mess of disjointed and sporadic development. Certainly, any actual development over the rail yards will happen after the current available lots are developed. (years, probably decades away)

But, when the time comes, you want to have a plan that makes sense.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 3:19 PM

Where does this tower rank in the UC skyline? I know that Cira Center is tops at about 430 feet; EVO is next - how tall is that? Would this be the third tallest?

*And yes, once UMC is built, I know it will be king of UC.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Where does this tower rank in the UC skyline? I know that Cira Center is tops at about 430 feet; EVO is next - how tall is that? Would this be the third tallest?

*And yes, once UMC is built, I know it will be king of UC.
This ranks pretty far down the list in UCity actually.

1. FMC- 47 floors- 656 feet- construction summer
2. Cira Centre- 29 floors- 437 feet
3. Evo- 33 floors- 407 feet
4. 3601 Market- 28 floors- 320 feet- construction
5. Harnwell College House- 26 floors- 301 feet
6. Hamilton College House- 26 floors- 301 feet
7. Harrison College House- 26 floors- 301 feet
8. Smilow Center for Translational Research- 14 floors- 295 feet
9. Buerger Center for Advanced Pediatric Care- 14 floors- 292 feet
10. Lancaster Square- 25 floors- 279 feet

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 5:40 PM

We are picking up a little steam on these columns...

Untitled by Music_Man84, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive