HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 5:45 AM

First Chirchill and Inuvik will be our future arctic ports. so we will have 2 on each ocean. I also see potetial for resolute and Alert to become ports, as if there is oil in the artic, we have to get it to the mainland somehow.

I hope this will change the demographix of our nation, i would love to see 1 million people north of 60 by 2032

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 6:54 AM
I am a typical

Alert? Do you know how far that is? What is the point of having a port there? You'd have to ship things TO Alert to ship them FROM it. Iqaluit makes more sense for the north, since it already has a large port and that port is being expanded. And it's the main centre of the Eastern Arctic.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 7:03 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
First Chirchill and Inuvik will be our future arctic ports. so we will have 2 on each ocean. I also see potetial for resolute and Alert to become ports, as if there is oil in the artic, we have to get it to the mainland somehow.

I hope this will change the demographix of our nation, i would love to see 1 million people north of 60 by 2032
Alert and Resolute are both on islands. Doesn't make much sense to put a port there if your intention is shipping to the mainland

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Alert and Resolute are both on islands. Doesn't make much sense to put a port there if your intention is shipping to the mainland
refueling ports if nothing else. If we do put platforms up in the arctic the icebreakers will need places to stop when constantly runnign back and fourth to keep lanes upen in the late autumn and early spring.

And what stops us from building a rail line from resolute to the mainland? would be a much larger capital investment, especially for the bridge(s), but it may be cheaper in the long run. Might make resolute that much less resolute.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 3:06 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
We would need rail connections. Where would it branch off the Yellowhead? Saskatoon? Winnipeg seems to be too out of the way for it to work in that fashion.
There is already rail connection from Winnipeg to Churchill. Churchill is currently used as a grain terminal, but with an expanded mandate and tear round open waters it would begin seeing much more attention for other products.

Since Winnipeg is the major rail hub of Canada it really makes most sense for it to remain the city which would provide primary rail service to and from this port.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 3:33 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
There is already rail connection from Winnipeg to Churchill. Churchill is currently used as a grain terminal, but with an expanded mandate and tear round open waters it would begin seeing much more attention for other products.

Since Winnipeg is the major rail hub of Canada it really makes most sense for it to remain the city which would provide primary rail service to and from this port.
yes but if your shiping from the west coast it does not make sens to go threw winnipeg to get to churchill being you would have to duble back to sask to take the rail line to churchil cause they riped up the rail line 10 or so years ago between lake winnipeg and lake manitoba wtf were they thinking

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 3:44 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
yes but if your shiping from the west coast it does not make sens to go threw winnipeg to get to churchill being you would have to duble back to sask to take the rail line to churchil cause they riped up the rail line 10 or so years ago between lake winnipeg and lake manitoba wtf were they thinking
When they load trains .. not all the cars are destined for the same location. They are transported from various sources and are group in terms of direction. Once they get to there region, or connecting yard those cars are resorted again and sent on there way, towards there final destination via rail or truck.

Winnipeg has the massive infrastructure (very large rail yards and mutimodel stations) to handle the massive amount of rail cars travelling east and west. All lines going east-west go through Winnipeg. A city like Saskatoon was never desisgned to handle such levels of rail service, and hense isn't a major rail hub. It would take alot of investment and duplication of services to build such infrastructure in Saskatoon. With that said I am sure more rail lines will be required if Churchill becomes a major port and other cities like Saskatonn would eventually see a direct connection, by rail and highway.

Also keep in mind that there would be a growing level of goods coming in from the mid-west states if Churchill become a viable port to Asia. Sea transport is much more cost effective than rail, especially though the mountains.

Last edited by newflyer; Jan 7, 2007 at 3:50 AM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 3:52 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

also once you get into muskeg the trains can't go pased 30mph or they risk derailing......

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 3:54 AM
Capitalist

It almost makes you want to buy a 73 Newport .. just to help Churchill get its year round sea port.

.... well maybe not.

Last edited by newflyer; Jan 7, 2007 at 4:00 AM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 4:01 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
It almost makes you want to buy a 73 Newport .. just to help Churchill get its year round sea port.

.... well maybe not.
fugly

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 4:05 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
fugly
I remember a friend's mother had one of these cars... it was HUGE. It drove like a boat. In fact they even mentioned it in that song Love Shack .. I believe it says its as " big as a whale ".

It sucked down gasoline like soda pop. Talk about inefficient.... should have been called the Crown Corp.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 4:07 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
I remember a friend's mother had one of these cars... it was HUGE. It drove like a boat. In fact they even mentioned it in that song Love Shack .. I believe it says its as " big as a whale ".

It sucked down gasoline like soda pop. Talk about inefficient.... should have been called the Crown Corp.
my dad used to have a 66 ford custom that he got 30mpg on it

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 4:09 AM
Capitalist

whoa... I am sure that Newport got 9 mpg at best. I also remember the low chugging sound it made when ever it accelerated. We're talking 460ci of inefficient power.... and it was still on the underpowered side.

It must have weighed alot.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 4:11 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
whoa... I am sure that Newport got 9 mpg at best. I also remember the low chugging sound it made when ever it accelerated.
lol

my 72 145s volvo gives somthing like 24mpg but it needs a new floor and some frame work :S

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 7:06 AM
A long time gone

back on topic

Russia offers to break the ice to open Port Churchill
SHAWN MCCARTHY

Globe and Mail Update

OTTAWA — Russia's Transport Minister is urging the federal government to open Churchill, Man., as a year-round port, saying his country's modern icebreaker fleet can now accomplish what some fear global warming will do in a few decades.

In a visit to Ottawa this week, Transport Minister Igor Levitin urged his federal and Manitoba counterparts to step up efforts to realize the centuries-old dream of a polar shipping route, in this case linking Asian and North American markets. Similarly, Mr. Levitin wants Canada to expand the role of the Winnipeg airport as a key hub in an Asia-to-North America air transit circle route.

He said the bilateral talks on the so-called Arctic Bridge sea route have been on the back burner for the past 15 years, but the time has come to act on it.

Russia has a fleet of seven modern icebreakers that could render Churchill and the Siberian port of Murmansk serviceable throughout the year.

“Now we have the people, we have the money and we have the political infrastructure,” he said at a luncheon meeting. He said the improved transportation links would further enhance business co-operation in areas such as energy, noting that Russia is now planning to ship liquefied natural gas to North American markets.

“We consider this as very important for bilateral relations,” he said.

During his visit to Ottawa, he met federal Transport Minister Lawrence Cannon and Manitoba's Ron Lemieux, Minister of Infrastructure and Transport. He also visited business executives in Montreal.

A spokeswoman for Mr. Cannon said the minister “thought [the year-round opening of Churchill's port] was a very interesting idea, and it is going to be looked at.”

Ottawa would have to grant right-of-way for Russian icebreakers to enter Canadian waters, and increase the presence of the Canadian Coast Guard in the Arctic.

Mr. Lemieux, who also met with Mr. Cannon to lobby for federal support, said Asian shippers are eager to find an alternative to West Coast ports, which are backed up, and East Coast or Great Lakes ports, which are too far from their shores.

He said the Russians are eager to provide an answer with the Murmansk-Churchill route.

“It is an idea whose time has come,” Mr. Lemieux said in a telephone interview from Winnipeg Wednesday. He noted that Chinese and Indian companies have had talks with Russian transport officials over the possibility of using the Arctic route.

“They are looking at a way to get those goods into the heartland of North America ... and they are looking for ways to use Churchill as a port of entry, and they are looking to use Winnipeg as an air hub. The Russians want to do this right now.”

Manitoba is urging Ottawa to spend money on Churchill's infrastructure, including the port itself and its rail connections. Mr. Lemieux said Ottawa also needs to beef up its security presence in the Arctic, particularly as northern waters are opened to more shipping. Prime Minister Stephen Harper has signalled his government's desire to reinforce Canada's sovereignty in the North.

Churchill Mayor Mike Spence said the Arctic Bridge project could be the salvation of the town of about 1,100, where residents worry about losing their tourist draw as global warming threatens the polar bear population.

The port of Churchill, which is operated by Denver-based OmniTrax Inc., is open from July to November, handling mainly exports of Canadian wheat. Mr. Spence said the port is underutilized and could handle some increased traffic from Asian importers.

”The federal government needs to step up and look at the Port of Churchill as a strategic asset,” Mr. Spence said. Year-round shipping at Churchill “would open up Northern Canada,” he added.

Mr. Spence said the effects of global warming — which, he said, have already resulted in later freeze-up and an earlier breakup of harbour ice — will provide even greater shipping access to Churchill.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 7:10 AM
A long time gone

Mintrans plans to organize cargo route Winnipeg-Krasnoyarsk.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Russia's Transport Minister Igor Levitin has discussed with Transport Minister of Manitoba province (Canada) Ron Leumier the program "North Air Bridge", that stipulates the organization of the Winnipeg-Krasnoyarsk route, Russia's Transport Ministry says.

Mr. Levitin offered the Canadian party to discuss the operation of Winnipeg and Krasnoyarsk as a singe system.

The parties noted that presently there is no possibility to organize passenger conveyance in this direction, but cargo transportations are in demand. So, the Russian party decided to form a cargo hub in Krasnoyarsk.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 7:20 AM
DRINK

Quote:

.... well maybe not.
When I was in high school my buddies parents had a mid 70's Newport. Easily the biggest car I have ever seen.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 2:43 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
[B]Russia offers to break the ice to open Port Churchill

Manitoba is urging Ottawa to spend money on Churchill's infrastructure, including the port itself and its rail connections.
I really hope some of this port expansion in Churchill becomes a reality - and that they also build a year round road access to the town.

Road access to Churchill alone would boost their economy as it would make the town more accessible to local tourists.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan