HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 2:35 AM

I found it...strange that it does not automatically list on the P&C page. Is there a reason for that? I found it on the Highrise contruction page amongst a bunch of miami and new york pages that I really don't care about. Oh well...first world problems...

I didn't see the yellow rig down there, but maybe it is tucked away where I can't see it...eitherway...dancing banana.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swicago Swi Sox View Post
There's an Optima Thready?!? I usally just pull up the Chicago P&C page and i don't see the thread there. Is there someplace else I can get to it before it maybe be moved to P&C?

I ran down a snapped a pic...it is pretty bad, since it is so dark, but you can see a white crane that is not a drill rig. The tied cages are in the lower right hand corner. A bunch of drill bits are piled towards the bottom int he center, infront of the "yet to be demolished or built over" ramp for the dominicks/whole foods parking.

The yellow thing I took a picture of unloading off the trailer is a drill rig and there was another on the site (you can see it in the bottom of the larger picture). It might be in the shadows in the lower left. It's big and yellow.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I bet a big chunk of the retail is going to be along the plaza like I was predicting months ago. I see another opportunity for a Howell's and Hood quality restaurant with outdoor space here. Maybe we'll get a restaurant on one side and a cafe on the other.
As reported last spring, Optima I is getting a 7700sf Texas de Brazil (relocation and downsizing after ousting from the Eataly space) in its north and east sides, including a patio, so this gives some idea of what will and won't move into Optima II. At a minimum, that area is getting saturated with steak (with Michael Jordan's on Michigan). But success with this patio could encourage additional outdoor-configured eating and drinking places in Optima II.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 1:53 PM

Quote:
The yellow thing I took a picture of unloading off the trailer is a drill rig and there was another on the site (you can see it in the bottom of the larger picture). It might be in the shadows in the lower left. It's big and yellow.
You are right! Ninja Drill Rig...hidden in shadow! The rig is tucked all the way up against 240 East Illinois, in the small area between the Ramp to Grocery Parking and the existing building. This leads me to beleive they will not be demolishing this ramp, but will instead install caissons on either side of the existing ramp and span over/integrate it into the new building...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Jesus, that's insane.

The downtown "revival" meme links population increase of central city neighborhoods to the recent (i.e., <10 years) "rise" of the Millennials, but it's pretty clear from this photo comparison that the phenomenon began much earlier than that in Chicago.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Nice, so this will be a hair taller than 435 N Park, yet significantly skinnier. That will make for a nice, slender, tower.

I bet a big chunk of the retail is going to be along the plaza like I was predicting months ago. I see another opportunity for a Howell's and Hood quality restaurant with outdoor space here. Maybe we'll get a restaurant on one side and a cafe on the other. Streeterville is going to need more retail space with the density they are adding right now. All of these towers are going up within a 3 block radius:

- NW Outpaitent Center
- RIC Tower
- 435 N Park
- Optima II
- 545 N McClurg

Then there is the heinous RAMS proposal on top of all of that. I think that Streeterville will eventually hit a critical mass where it will go from sleepy to bustling overnight and I think these 5 towers already under construction might be enough to do that. I mean we are talking about what? 1500 residential units, a few hundred hotel rooms, and two huge employment centers. It's amazing how quickly Streeterville and LSE have changed from an industrial wasteland to one of the densest highrise neighborhoods in the world.
Streeterville certainly has been blowing up. I think there needs to be some public transit improvements for streeterville to really start bustling. It's too car centric at the moment. A subway line down Columbus would be nice. In any case hopefully we start getting some taller towers with less surface lots available... it would be nice to see something other than the RAMS tower break the plateau. I was hoping this one was a bit taller so it broke the plateau.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 6:25 PM

I can't tell from the render, is the blank podium wall of whatever it's called to the east getting completely covered up?

And how does Optima I look in person? It's been so long since I've had the opportunity to go on a walk through Streeterville.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I can't tell from the render, is the blank podium wall of whatever it's called to the east getting completely covered up?

And how does Optima I look in person? It's been so long since I've had the opportunity to go on a walk through Streeterville.
Yes, the podium of Optima II will match the elevation of the existing Eastern building, so that wall will be covered.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post

I know some people really abhor boxes, but IMO optima I is one of the nicest residential building in streeterville, imo the only con to the building is its relatively short height and therefore optima 1 can't really be seen at many angles starting from a few blocks away, imo optima2 will look fantastic

btw can we update optimaII in the database underconstruction tab and add this thread to the Chicago city forum?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 4:27 PM
BANNED

Optima II

10/15/14

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 6:28 PM
THAT Guy

Color-accurate?

Next up for Streeterville: 498 more apartments
By Micah Maidenberg

The developer of the Optima Chicago Center rental building in Streeterville is forging ahead with the project's next phase, adding another big clump of units to an increasingly crowded downtown apartment market.

A venture led by developer and architect David Hovey recently started construction on what Mr. Hovey said would be a 57-story, 498-unit apartment building at 220 E. Illinois St.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 6:37 PM

I'd be totally down with that.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 6:42 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i don't know if i'd be down with that color scheme by itself, but playing off of optima 1? yeah, it totally works.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 7:00 PM

Wow, looks like Hovey was saving up all his signature color for the bigger tower Lol.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 7:01 PM
The City

I like the new color scheme, I hope he goes with it

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 7:06 PM
The City

^ I think it warrants being posted here:

Source

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 7:35 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Red and green. It's like Hovey's early Christmas present to this forum.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 9:24 PM
tilted & shifted

Not a fan...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Not a fan...
well i am not sure about this color pattern either. all in green or at least the base in black like on the smaller tower would look a lot better

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 10:29 PM

Wow.. Not sure how I feel about it yet. It would be interesting... Especially that bright red glass

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive