HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 7:30 PM
All-American City Boy

[QUOTE=rgarri4;7951141]Here's a massing I did. My guess is the facade doesn't angle out and that its just the design of the mullions. Although it would be way more interesting if it did angle.

Great work. This thing at 58 stories in that area has a solid visual impact.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 10:44 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I'll have to admit that I've never been there (at least not that I remember). I don't really like that kind of American bar food (wings, nachos, anything with "ranch", etc), and it seems like such a waste to be in the neighborhood and not go to Au Cheval or the Publican, or something more sophisticated.
Haymarket's charm isn't its food (typical pub fare, done perhaps slightly above average). I am however a big fan of their in house microbrews!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 11:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Now that I see your massing, I'm sure the tower is a parallelogram (like John Hancock in Boston). The tower in your images is too fat for residential, the spaces close to the core don't get any daylight so they're virtually useless as living spaces.
That would be most excellent. I can't even think of another parallelogram building besides that one in Boston.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
That would be most excellent. I can't even think of another parallelogram building besides that one in Boston.
Well all squares and rectangles are parallelograms so virtually all buildings in Chicago are lol. The word we are looking for here is a rhombus, there are few rhomboid buildings out there.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 12:17 AM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Well all squares and rectangles are parallelograms so virtually all buildings in Chicago are lol. The word we are looking for here is a rhombus, there are few rhomboid buildings out there.
People use parallelogram and rhombus (all sides equal - Hancock in Boston isn't a rhombus by my observation) precisely because they can't describe it as a square or rectangle with 90 degree angles. Its use is just functional.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 1:05 AM
BANNED

snap, someone got served a rhombus bish sandwich

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 3:46 AM
TL;DR

It's only a rhombus if all four sides are equal. Diamond-shaped, essentially. If the tower is longer in the north/south dimension than the east/west (like Hancock in Boston, which it seems to be) then it's a rhomboid, apparently. All are parallelograms.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhomboid

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer2019 View Post
People use parallelogram and rhombus (all sides equal - Hancock in Boston isn't a rhombus by my observation) precisely because they can't describe it as a square or rectangle with 90 degree angles. Its use is just functional.
Sorry, should have only used rhomboid, getting rusty on my geometry, but rhombus and rhomboid excellent words.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 6:07 AM

Stay tuned to a community meeting for this and or the other Related project further west on Randolph sometime in later November.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 2:08 AM
Chicago

October 18, 2017

A relatively recent picture of the site.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 7:28 AM

http://neighborsofwestloop.com/2017/...lated-midwest/

Development Proposal

On Monday, October 9, representatives of Related Midwest presented a proposal for a 680 ft (58-story) hotel/apartment building/gym located on the south side of Randolph between the expressway and Halsted.

The developer has purchased all of the buildings on the parcel between Randolph and Court Place (including the building on the northwest corner where Haymarket Pub is located), as well as the structure at 724 W. Washington. Under this proposal, these buildings would be upzoned, with each of the buildings transferring their floor area ratio to the proposed tower.

As proposed, the site would be changed from a mix of zoning (DX-5 and DX-7) and FAR (8.32, 7.0, 5.0) to DX-7 (11.5). This change would require a $5.3M payment into the Neighborhood Opportunity Fund.

The building would include a multi-story pedestal running from Washington to Randolph. The building entrance would be located along Randolph, with a hotel & residential lobby and a restaurant on the northeast corner of the property. The part of the complex along Washington would house the parking area (with vehicle elevators to save space). Floors 2 and 3 of the pedestal would contain an Equinox gym that is intended to be accessible by hotel guests and residents.

The tower would extend upward first with 14 floors of hotel rooms (total number TBD) and then 40 stories of apartments. Designed by Roger Ferris & Partners, the proposed building is intended to evoke Chicago bay windows.

Circulation around the site involves the conversion of the Randolph Street service road to one-way eastbound operation. A southbound access drive would be provided along the east side of the property (valet parking to be provided). Court Place would operate as a two-way street. A pedestrian path would be provided from the sidewalk along Randolph to the expressway bridge. A traffic study that captures this circulation plan is in development.

Committee Feedback

Our committee provided a number of comments for consideration by the development team:

Our committee anticipates that the introduction of increased activity into this area will cause traffic flow issues, especially at the intersections of Court Place and the Randolph service drive with Halsted. The group would like to review the traffic study when it is complete.
The architectural concept of the project was well-received by the committee.
The committee did not have concerns with the proposed height of the building, since it is located east of Halsted.

Our committee would like more information about how the developer intends to meet the affordable housing requirements.
Considering the size and proposed density of the project, our committee would like to see public green space
We would also like the developer to provide more information about the partial vacation of Court Place.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 1:58 PM

Is there a rendering yet or just the diagram?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Not everyone wants to spend two hours waiting for a cheeseburger.
I've been to Au Cheval several times and have never waited. I have given up and gone to Girl & the Goat once. But I'd never take in that many calories for anything but really excellent food, so your standard pub burger or fast food is just not in my repertoire.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 6:54 PM
Development Shill

No rendering yet, should be soon

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 8:34 PM
1st Ward

^ It wont last forever. The land is too valuable, and at some point its time will be up.

Its refreshing how many parking lots have been developed in Greektown over the last 8 years. I wonder what Walgreens may be planning or in talks with for its block-long site?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 9:10 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
^ It wont last forever. The land is too valuable, and at some point its time will be up.

Its refreshing how many parking lots have been developed in Greektown over the last 8 years. I wonder what Walgreens may be planning or in talks with for its block-long site?
Would it be legal for walgreens to sell a plot of land requiring whoever purchases it to develop something incorporating walgreens into the new development?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 9:26 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Would it be legal for walgreens to sell a plot of land requiring whoever purchases it to develop something incorporating walgreens into the new development?
Sure, happens all the time. Look at the McDonald's across the street from Wrigley. They got the rights to the ground floor retail space in the development that replaced their restaurant and parking lot.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 9:31 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Sure, happens all the time. Look at the McDonald's across the street from Wrigley. They got the rights to the ground floor retail space in the development that replaced their restaurant and parking lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
Its not a legal thing as in a specific law on the books.... but this can absolutely be done as a covenant in a transaction (and its usually a friendly thing w the developer - see Aldi on milwaukee ave. )... and that would be covered by contract laws.

Challenge is having covenants survive the next transaction.
Roger that. Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 1:12 AM

01/12/18

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 1:49 AM

This tower is going to really stand out at nearly 700ft in this location can't wait to see renderings

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 12:48 PM
BANNED

Whoa i forgot about this one. this is major.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals