HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 8:04 PM
Exit 298

The old Granite Furniture building at UVMC is being demolished as we speak:

I've driven past that building for 15 years and only today did I notice just how out-of-place it seems. Perhaps it seemed less out-of-place before the new high rises were constructed.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 9:57 PM
VeGAINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Controversy surrounds proposed student housing complex in Orem

http://ksltv.com/392751/controversy-...mplex-in-orem/
Provo/Orem NIMBYs have proven to be the worst. Those houses are in a horrific place and the ones still remaining were built after UVU's rapid expansion. Housing right next to the university would pretty much help traffic in all tangible forms. A mere parking lot would make everything worse for the surrounding single family homes. People just enjoy making issues about nothing and causing obstruction. Despicable. The project even includes a majority of parking in a garage/terrace.
https://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...25051ed0f.html

The NIMBYs by the BYU Creamery (preventing a BRT station near a Subway restaurant) and along 800/820N near I-15 are also bad. I don't understand why they think they can live in Provo and never experience redevelopment, especially considering how long the two universities have been there.

Last edited by Dogwata; Mar 27, 2018 at 10:08 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 11:03 AM

Agree Dogwata. It boggles my mind to think that some people are of the mindset that they can live next to a major interchange, and a huge University that is bursting at the seams, and think that all can remain status quo. That they would oppose University Housing that is adjacent to the University itself and desperately needed is mind numbing. If that housing is not allowed, plus more, the quality of life of the entire surrounding region will be seriously compromised.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
The old Granite Furniture building at UVMC is being demolished as we speak:

I've driven past that building for 15 years and only today did I notice just how out-of-place it seems. Perhaps it seemed less out-of-place before the new high rises were constructed.
What's supposed to be built there?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 1:06 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwata View Post
Provo/Orem NIMBYs have proven to be the worst. Those houses are in a horrific place and the ones still remaining were built after UVU's rapid expansion. Housing right next to the university would pretty much help traffic in all tangible forms. A mere parking lot would make everything worse for the surrounding single family homes. People just enjoy making issues about nothing and causing obstruction. Despicable. The project even includes a majority of parking in a garage/terrace.
https://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...25051ed0f.html

The NIMBYs by the BYU Creamery (preventing a BRT station near a Subway restaurant) and along 800/820N near I-15 are also bad. I don't understand why they think they can live in Provo and never experience redevelopment, especially considering how long the two universities have been there.
Frankly, if I were in that neighborhood, I'd be seeing big $$$ and hoping to cash out to a developer. That, or just rent the house out knowing you'll keep it occupied 100% of the time.

"But this is a family neighborhood." Bull crap. No family could afford to move into that neighborhood anymore.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 10:42 AM

I'm really liking the most recent lighting and planter improvements Lehi has made to its Old Main. I keep wondering when American Fork is ever going to get its collective act together and start upgrading its main drag.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 9:44 PM

Top 10 fastest-growing U.S. metro areas by percentage, 2016-2017

#1. St. George, Utah, 4 percent to 165,662.

2. Myrtle Beach-Conway-North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and North Carolina, 3.7 percent to 447,793.

3. Greeley, Colorado, 3.5 percent to 294,243.

4. Bend-Redmond, Oregon, 3.4 percent to 180,675.

5. Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, 2.9 percent to 153,144.

6. Lakeland-Winter Haven, Florida, 2.9 percent to 667,018.

7. Boise City, Idaho, 2.8 percent to 690,810.

#8. Provo-Orem, Utah, 2.7 percent to 601,478.

9. Austin-Round Rock, Texas, 2.7 percent to 2,060,558.

10. The Villages, Florida, 2.5 percent to 125,165.

Last edited by delts145; Apr 1, 2018 at 10:36 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 11:45 AM

New lanes for I-15 'Technology Corridor' tops UDOT project list for 2018

By Lisa Riley Roche - Deseret News, https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-for-2018.html

The Utah Department of Transportation will widen I-15 to six lanes in both directions between state Route 92 and Main Street in Lehi.
The $450 million project will start this spring and will wrap up in late 2020.

https://media.deseretdigital.com/

SALT LAKE CITY — The stretch of I-15 now being called the state's "Technology Corridor" ranks No. 1 on the Utah Department of Transportation's Top 10 list of construction projects for 2018...

...The I-15 project is key to developing Utah's Silicon Slopes technology corridor that includes 700 acres at Point of the Mountain that will be freed up after the Utah State Prison moves to a site near the Salt Lake City International Airport in 2020.

The other nine projects on the list released Monday are, in order of their rankings:

• Adding a new southbound lane on I-15 from 2100 South to 12300 South, redesigning some of the southbound ramps at the 1-15 and I-215 interchange and widening 7200 South to three lanes from I-15 to Bingham Junction Boulevard in Midvale. Work on the $180 million project is also scheduled to begin this spring and expected to be completed in late 2019.

• Reconstructing I-215 in Davis County from the I-15 interchange in North Salt Lake to 2100 North and building a new diverging diamond interchange at Redwood Road and I-215. The $40 million project has been underway since February and will continue through the end of the year.

• Replacing three bridges on I-80 in Tooele County near the state Route 36 interchange: eastbound and westbound I-80 over the railroad tracks and the S.R. 36 ramp bridge. The $30 million in bridge work will begin in late spring and should be done in the summer of 2019.

• Widening Bluff Street in St. George from 100 South to Sunset Boulevard by adding a lane in each direction and turn lanes at several intersections. The yearlong, $51 million project started in January.

• Adding a new westbound lane for trucks on I-80 from Jeremy Ranch to Parleys Summit, and a new wildlife crossing at the summit, repaving I-80 from Lambs Canyon to Kimball Junction. Work on the $30 million project started Monday and is expected to be finished by the end of the year.

• Extending Mountain View Corridor in Utah County from the Redwood Road and 2100 North intersection to state Route 73. The $41 million project is set to start this spring and should be done next year.

• Converting four intersections on Bangerter Highway into freeway-style interchanges, at 5400 South, 7000 South, 9000 South and 11400 South. The $201 million project is underway and due to be completed by the end of the year.

• Reconstructing state Route 9, the gateway to Zion National Park, through Springdale. The old pavement is already being removed and replaced with new asphalt, and pedestrian and bike improvements are being made. The $19 million project should be done before the peak visitor season begins later this month.

• Finishing the widening and reconstruction of state Route 108 in Syracuse from Antelope Drive to 300 North in Davis County. The $52 million project started a year ago and should be completed this fall.

There are a total of 188 UDOT construction projects scheduled across the state this year, adding up to $1.46 billion. They range from sidewalk and street installations to the major projects on the list.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 5, 2018 at 9:44 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 11:32 PM

Some flyovers of Ken Bretschneider's Evermore. Some cool things are going in there.

Also, quite a few renderings are on the website, http://evermore.com/towne-square/

Ken, hopefully you still lurk this forum. The VOID is amazing.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 5:15 PM

Census estimates: Utah County continues to grow, mostly from natural birth rates

Daily Herald - Colin Douglas Correspondent, 3 hrs ago https://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...4fcba0d8e.html

Utah County continues to grow, and it looks like it won’t stop in the foreseeable future. Earlier projections are confirmed and more details have been revealed by estimates recently released by the U.S. Census Bureau.

“These new data confirm what we already see on the ground in Utah,” said Pamela Perlich, director of demographic research for the Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute at the University of Utah.

“We have projected that in 50 years, Utah County will add another million people, to reach a population of 1.6 million, just less than the 1.7 million projected for Salt Lake County,” she said.

The county’s population on July 1, 2018, will be about 606,425, according to estimates released by the Census Bureau in December. This is an increase of 89,784 or 17.4 percent, since April 1, 2010. The figure makes the county already second in the state in population to Salt Lake County, which will number 1,135,649 after a growth of 10.3 percent during the same period...

Fans react as Grey Glass performs during the Rooftop Concert Series on Friday, July 7, 2017 in downtown Provo. ISAAC HALE, Daily Herald

Last edited by delts145; Oct 5, 2018 at 9:35 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 2:49 PM

These projects below have already been completed, but I wanted to copy them form the General Compilation Thread and add them here to the projects that are Provo specific. I want to see Provo well represented with its many recently completed projects. You might remember that an unamed rogue source completely deleted the old Provo Thread when we consolidated the former Utah Valley & Provo Threads. They did this instead of placing it in the archive, which would be the normal procedure. Even stranger, a couple of days ago someone deleted the entire SLC Metro Transportation/Airport Thread over on the general forum. Cirrus was able to track it down and repost it. Here's the link:http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=150074. Cirrus is now going to try and see if he can find the Provo Thread (What a hero!!!) Someone is also now messing around with the Salt Lake MSA/CSA Compilation Thread, over on the General Forum. Probably the same rogue joker. I hope Cirrus will be able to track them down and ban them.

Provo City Energy Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by javiniscool View Post

Completed Provo City Energy Building

http://www.laytonconstruction.com/

Central Park Station

https://neighborworksprovo.scdn5.secure.raxcdn.com/

https://neighborworksprovo.scdn5.secure.raxcdn.com/

Pic By Javiniscool

Pic By Javiniscool

Pic By Javiniscool

Last edited by delts145; Oct 5, 2018 at 9:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 6:10 AM

How in the world is it not possible to see who did what?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 9:24 AM

Utah Gov. Herbert helps kick off three-year, $430M I-15 expansion

By Art Raymond@DNTechHive Published: April 25, 2018 6:17 pm
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...expansion.html

The so-called I-15 Technology Corridor project will add two lanes on both the northbound and southbound sides from Lehi's Main Street to state Route 92, for a total of six lanes in both directions on completion. Interchange renovations are also in the mix, as well as 13 bridge rebuilds and the construction of a new bridge that will span I-15 connecting the east and west legs of Triumph Boulevard.

Gov. Gary Herbert, left, and Sen. Stuart Adams, R-Layton, unveil a digital rendering of the Utah Department of Transportation’s I-15 Technology Corridor construction project at the Rain office in Lehi on Wednesday, April 25, 2018.

"It’s not just a matter of convenience," Herbert said. "It really is about economic growth, too. We will have a hard time continuing to grow economically if we do not solve the problem of transportation."

That growth, an issue also being grappled with by the Point of the Mountain Development Commission, is expected to propel Utah County past Salt Lake County in terms of population in the next 50 years and continue to test the resilience of not just the I-15 freeway, but travel corridors on both sides, and across the state's busiest interstate.

For those who may feel like I-15 construction through south Salt Lake County and Utah County has been perpetual, Utah Department of Transportation Executive Director Carlos Braceras said this project marks an end point. At least for now...

...In spite of the dearth of current, active public transit projects, Herbert said the future will include additional state funding for public transportation infrastructure expansions.

"I think what we need to do is invest strategically in all our transportation systems, that would include mass transit," Herbert said. "We’ve spent hundreds of millions of dollars and we’ll spend additional hundreds of millions of dollars continuing on mass transit. We’re not going to stop, it will be a matter of both."

Herbert also added that changes enacted by the Legislature in this year's session to how UTA is managed included tweaks that likely will create new funding opportunities for transit projects.

"(Now) we can take our typical transportation fund and expand it beyond just roads, highways and byways into, in fact, mass transit," Herbert said. "That’s the first time we’ve been able to take money from one bucket and put it into another bucket.

"With this new governance structure, I think you're going to see very strategic investments and continuing to make sure we have optimal benefit for transportation."

UTA board member Alex Cragun said public transportation expansion will be critical in accommodating the expected growth along the Wasatch Front while also helping to address air quality issues and preserving a place that people will be drawn to.

"Investing in roads is important but, in terms of our long-term growth, we can’t build more roads out of this problem," Cragun said. "The end goal to reduce our pollution is remove cars from the roads. And that will require further investment in public transportation."

1 comment on this story
Cragun, who is also the executive director of the Utah Democratic Party and former director of transit advocacy group, Utah Transit Riders Union, said the increasing population density in the area lays good groundwork for efficient transit expansion, like new TRAX lines.

"As long as there is a demand for service in those areas, we should be talking about light rail," Cragun said. "We need to be making sure that we’re not only planning and building rail in a smart manner, but aligning that around housing and economic opportunities that sustain people."

Last edited by delts145; Oct 5, 2018 at 10:11 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 2:51 PM

Does anyone else hate the name "Silicon Slopes" as much as I do?

No? Just me?

Okay.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 9:43 PM

Where's the facepalm emogi? This is only going to exacerbate the sprawl issue This is so short sighted. 6 lanes each way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Utah Gov. Herbert helps kick off three-year, $430M I-15 expansion

By Art Raymond@DNTechHive Published: April 25, 2018 6:17 pm
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...expansion.html

The so-called I-15 Technology Corridor project will add two lanes on both the northbound and southbound sides from Lehi's Main Street to state Route 92, for a total of six lanes in both directions on completion. Interchange renovations are also in the mix, as well as 13 bridge rebuilds and the construction of a new bridge that will span I-15 connecting the east and west legs of Triumph Boulevard.

Gov. Gary Herbert, left, and Sen. Stuart Adams, R-Layton, unveil a digital rendering of the Utah Department of Transportation’s I-15 Technology Corridor construction project at the Rain office in Lehi on Wednesday, April 25, 2018.

"It’s not just a matter of convenience," Herbert said. "It really is about economic growth, too. We will have a hard time continuing to grow economically if we do not solve the problem of transportation."

That growth, an issue also being grappled with by the Point of the Mountain Development Commission, is expected to propel Utah County past Salt Lake County in terms of population in the next 50 years and continue to test the resilience of not just the I-15 freeway, but travel corridors on both sides, and across the state's busiest interstate.

For those who may feel like I-15 construction through south Salt Lake County and Utah County has been perpetual, Utah Department of Transportation Executive Director Carlos Braceras said this project marks an end point. At least for now...

...In spite of the dearth of current, active public transit projects, Herbert said the future will include additional state funding for public transportation infrastructure expansions.

"I think what we need to do is invest strategically in all our transportation systems, that would include mass transit," Herbert said. "We’ve spent hundreds of millions of dollars and we’ll spend additional hundreds of millions of dollars continuing on mass transit. We’re not going to stop, it will be a matter of both."

Herbert also added that changes enacted by the Legislature in this year's session to how UTA is managed included tweaks that likely will create new funding opportunities for transit projects.

"(Now) we can take our typical transportation fund and expand it beyond just roads, highways and byways into, in fact, mass transit," Herbert said. "That’s the first time we’ve been able to take money from one bucket and put it into another bucket.

"With this new governance structure, I think you're going to see very strategic investments and continuing to make sure we have optimal benefit for transportation."

UTA board member Alex Cragun said public transportation expansion will be critical in accommodating the expected growth along the Wasatch Front while also helping to address air quality issues and preserving a place that people will be drawn to.

"Investing in roads is important but, in terms of our long-term growth, we can’t build more roads out of this problem," Cragun said. "The end goal to reduce our pollution is remove cars from the roads. And that will require further investment in public transportation."

1 comment on this story
Cragun, who is also the executive director of the Utah Democratic Party and former director of transit advocacy group, Utah Transit Riders Union, said the increasing population density in the area lays good groundwork for efficient transit expansion, like new TRAX lines.

"As long as there is a demand for service in those areas, we should be talking about light rail," Cragun said. "We need to be making sure that we’re not only planning and building rail in a smart manner, but aligning that around housing and economic opportunities that sustain people."

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 11:12 PM

While I do agree that building more lanes is not the answer, it does feel right to keep the number of lanes consistent through that area. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to have the fewest number of lanes in what is becoming one of the busiest sections of I-15.

Also the fact that Herbert seems to sees a turning point in the future towards more transit - and seems supportive of it - is a good sign. Let's hope whatever Republican governor that takes over for Herbert in the future doesn't turn their back on transit projects.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 4:19 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Does anyone else hate the name "Silicon Slopes" as much as I do?

No? Just me?

Okay.
Silicon Utah Valley?

Last edited by Orlando; Apr 27, 2018 at 7:21 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Silicon Utah Valley?
They both sound like cheesy knock offs to me. We couldn't at least call it something unique to us without calling it Silicon (whatever). Looking from the outside we just look like some leftovers or knock off. I mean doesn't just the name of "point of the mountain" have a nice ring to it? Instead of Silicon Slopes, when people hear "Point of the mountain" they should automatically think its Utah's Tech area without some cheesy branding based off of the top

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig View Post
They both sound like cheesy knock offs to me. We couldn't at least call it something unique to us without calling it Silicon (whatever). Looking from the outside we just look like some leftovers or knock off. I mean doesn't just the name of "point of the mountain" have a nice ring to it? Instead of Silicon Slopes, when people hear "Point of the mountain" they should automatically think its Utah's Tech area without some cheesy branding based off of the top
Ya, I was just kidding about the "Silicon Utah Valley" name.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 11:24 PM

Thing is, every tech hub in the nation seems to also use that SILICON tag. It has become synonymous with a major tech sector in all parts of the country, not just the Point of the mountain.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West