HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 10:30 PM

@krathgaber

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 1:35 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Next page...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 3:09 AM
Source?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 2:16 PM
BANNED

You beat me to it: what a great shot; even better once the Newport building is redeveloped.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 4:29 PM

Interesting piece of trivia.

In Winnipeg we used empty dump trucks to block the ends of the roads for the last 3 Jets parties. If this was New York City they would have sand filled dump trucks as the NYPD figures the extra weight will help prevent larger vehicles from plowing through.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Interesting piece of trivia.

In Winnipeg we used empty dump trucks to block the ends of the roads for the last 3 Jets parties. If this was New York City they would have sand filled dump trucks as the NYPD figures the extra weight will help prevent larger vehicles from plowing through.
I’m just happy they’re doing something like that as you’ll never know when some not job will decide to do something stupid. How do you know they’re empty?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 6:35 PM

It's kinda weird that with all the money that's been (well) spent upgrading the Millenium Library, they never really touched the main entrance. Would love to see the entrance at Graham & Donald brightened up a bit somehow, especially with all that's going on along Graham.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 7:18 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It's kinda weird that with all the money that's been (well) spent upgrading the Millenium Library, they never really touched the main entrance. Would love to see the entrance at Graham & Donald brightened up a bit somehow, especially with all that's going on along Graham.
So, like more funnelators?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
I’m just happy they’re doing something like that as you’ll never know when some not job will decide to do something stupid. How do you know they’re empty?
I have been able to look down into the truck boxes from my work location for all of the street parties.

Apparently the sand gives better blast protection if the truck gets hit by a car bomb.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 2:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Yep.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
They should clean up the rust on the top of the cylinder entrance (blanking on the actual word for that thing) and paint a Jets logo on top of the circle for shots like these. Also I hope Sportsnet ups their game and gets some drone/helicopter footage for round 2... the crane shot form the stage only gets like 1/6th of the crowd, doesn't do it justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
So, like more funnelators?
I like them, I'm on board. Honestly just replacing the glass with something not/less dark tinted (more inline with the new portion) would make a huge difference. It's just really dark and unwelcoming.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:
They should clean up the rust on the top of the cylinder entrance (blanking on the actual word for that thing) and paint a Jets logo on top of the circle for shots like these.
Great idea... it's almost 14 years old, a little refresh up there would be in order.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 8:17 PM

I would also like them to light it up inside and hang an actual 3D jet up in there It's been so dark and empty since they removed the northern lights ribbons ~5 years ago.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
This photo makes me wish they could find a way to split the units along the east side of city place down the middle, open up the exterior wall and have a block of bars/cafes facing outwards to the street.

EDIT: I suppose there's also a huge opportunity to do something like that with new construction just south of City Place. The only things on either side of the street there are the Crosstown Credit Union and a parkade.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 12:55 AM

Im looking at that pic above and I think to myself - "its cool how true north and d condo have added to downtown, filling in shots in a significant way whenever they are in there"

its just nice that we've seen so many towers, big or not, go up in downtown over these recent years. shame sky city has been a sham but hopefully we keep getting some of these 20ish storey towers on the regular. It's been almost non-stop "at least 1 skyline addition is going up somewhere" construction for ages, and that's been fantastic to see for Winnipeg. With the continued population growth, and continued downtown focus, I can see this continuing. It will be interesting to see what else comes up...we still have 300 main, tower's 3 & 4 from TNS in the certainty pipeline. 300 main was announced out of no where, and that will be the city's new tallest. TNS being a 4 tower project was pretty incredible, I recall thinking it was only going to be 3 towers; 2 max with one other a possibility.

What else is being worked on to suddenly be revealed, I wonder. Hopefully the next decade brings more parking lot development!

Im sure those who have seen downtown Winnipeg at it's lowest points where nothing was happening in terms of high rise development have been ecstatic about how much things have changed. I can't even imagine!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 12:58 AM

^ For a while around Y2K I was starting to wonder if Winnipeg would ever see another downtown highrise get built... I certainly appreciate everything that's happened in recent years.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ For a while around Y2K I was starting to wonder if Winnipeg would ever see another downtown highrise get built... I certainly appreciate everything that's happened in recent years.

That's incredible. From "will another high rise even come downtown" to preparing for a new tallest...

When we take a step back and look at all the awesome stuff that has happened down town development wise, it's really impressive that a city can go from "dead zone" to an abundance of activity relative to what was then.

I mean, we even got an NHL team back of all things haha.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
That's incredible. From "will another high rise even come downtown" to preparing for a new tallest...

When we take a step back and look at all the awesome stuff that has happened down town development wise, it's really impressive that a city can go from "dead zone" to an abundance of activity relative to what was then.

I mean, we even got an NHL team back of all things haha.
Funny you mention that, I was looking at the start of the Jets thread and it actually began in 2008 with a discussion about whether the NHL would ever return to Winnipeg, and now here we are a decade later with a Stanley Cup contender charging into the second round of the playoffs... things sure can change

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 2:22 AM

And anyone who still says the return of the Jets hasn't played an impact in this is blind.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 3:08 AM

Quote:
And anyone who still says the return of the Jets hasn't played an impact in this is blind.
Definitely.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan