HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 6:20 AM
A long time gone

Winnipeg best streets are...

for me, definetely, Saint Mary's Road and even more Saint'Anne's Road. They are really urban in many ways, the corner of St. Mary's and St. Vital Road reminds me of my Europe hometown. St. Vital Road is also very nice.
In these 2 streets there are a lot of apartments, people is nice and not trashy\drank\poor, but at the same time they're not as suburban as Fort Richmond or Pembina (which I actually don't like at all as street, way too large).

So, let's move eastside of Red River!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 6:33 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

no mcdermot and alexander is were its at

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 2:22 PM
Mooderator

I'm a fan of Kingston Row and Jubilee.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 2:40 PM
the first stamp is free

I went to pick up some coffee at Black Pearl on Dufferin, and I ended up needed to find an ATM - so I went driving around the North End (Burrows Ave., Redwood, Mountain, etc. west of Salter). I have to say once you get a few streets north of Selkirk, that area is very cool.

Burrows Ave has a tree canopied median (a smaller, version of Broadway with healthier trees), there are old apartment blocks and corner stores throughout the neighbourhood.

It kind of reminded me of Wolesley on steroids...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 3:06 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I'm a huge fan of the traffic and shopping nightmare known as Regent, myself.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 4:40 PM

Provencher.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 4:58 PM
urbanYVR.com

Corydon, Osborne, Westminster, Academy, Wellington, Provencher, Selkirk and Broadway are my faves.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 5:18 PM
Density and complexity

My favorite street is Lindenwoods Drive. Just one block uptown from the hustle and bustle of Kenaston and McGillivray--Canada's most famous crossroads--you can turn off Kenaston and experience the charms of another time (1993, maybe). With 50,000 parking spots instead of 75,000, retail on the Drive is more charming and compact car-scaled.

On the way, you can drop off your elderly parents at the seniors' home that looks out onto the loading bays of Canadian Tire. For the generation that emerged from 15 years of depression and war victoriously, they deserve only the best!

Past the seniors' home, at the intersection of Lindenwoods Drive and Lindenwoods Drive, with the din of the city still humming in the background, urban turns bucolic, and the Drive turns into a cathedral, as saplings soar, as if to the heavens along the Drive. Beyond them, service road and garages of the inhabitants. The houses (and garages) convey a sense of permanance (in stark contrast to the cookie-cutter kit houses they build in Linden Ridge today); these houses along the drive were built to stand 50 years.

Peering into the garages that are open, the pride of the Drive's denizens is evident; in less refined ages, stables, horses, carriages harness equipment, hay, seed, manure, hockey equipment, etc. were relegated to the back of the estate or town-house. In a neighborhood as beautiful as LindenWoods, there is no need to hide your dirty garage in the back--it now meets the front of the street.

Off the Drive, the sidestreets beckon your exploration. It is hard for the driver-by to imagine that a scant 25 years ago, this was all swamp-cum-farmland. Farmingdale Boulevard--it probably was a farm before becoming a boulevard that would make Haussman flush with envy. Foxmeadow Drive--foxes used to scamper along this bald piece of prairie. Deer Run Drive--where deer ran, you now drive.

With such tribute to nature and the very things these houses replaced, you know the men who built this place were confidient in humanities' progress, and the man-made environment they were making; that the cities we build are actually worth caring about.

The Drive continues on with the same unrelenting charm until it terminates at Lindenwoods Drive yet again, by the seniors' home. And, as T. S. Eliot wrote, "We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

Last edited by rgalston; Dec 21, 2006 at 5:26 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 5:34 PM

Excellent piece.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 5:35 PM
urbanYVR.com

LMAO!!! absolutely priceless rob

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 6:50 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I went to pick up some coffee at Black Pearl on Dufferin, and I ended up needed to find an ATM - so I went driving around the North End (Burrows Ave., Redwood, Mountain, etc. west of Salter). I have to say once you get a few streets north of Selkirk, that area is very cool.

Burrows Ave has a tree canopied median (a smaller, version of Broadway with healthier trees), there are old apartment blocks and corner stores throughout the neighbourhood.

It kind of reminded me of Wolesley on steroids...
Yes, Burrows and Broadway (and also Inkster) were designed more or less at the same time under the influence of the City Beautiful movement and were intended to be among the showcase streets of Winnipeg. Inkster was part of the city's plan from around 1910 to build a ring road called Sharp Boulevard, a few blocks of which still exist by that name in St. James.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 6:52 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

The old West Kildonan Main St. drag.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 7:03 PM
Mooderator

Not really in Winnipeg, but Henderson north of the perimeter (hyw 204?) along the river is a beautiful drive.. I had just discovered that road a couple of years ago after an adventurous detour coming back from Gimli.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan