HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Sutton Place Nova Centre in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 12:54 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
In an increasingly globalized world, ideas are less and less constrained by lines on a map.
Doesn't mean they have value?

His extrapolation of issues in other places is totally misguided.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Doesn't mean they have value?

His extrapolation of issues in other places is totally misguided.
That is a fair statement. I really wasn't defending his work, but something about the tone of don't-trust-them-dang-come-from-aways-cause-their-heads-is-fulla-fanciness just struck me as a little inappropriate.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 2:04 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
That is a fair statement. I really wasn't defending his work, but something about the tone of don't-trust-them-dang-come-from-aways-cause-their-heads-is-fulla-fanciness just struck me as a little inappropriate.
Don't worry, I don't trust people's opinions from Halifax on the same level... but they are from there, so there is some merit in that regard.

He could just leave once he pisses too many people off and find some other illegitimate media outlet and start all over again. Maybe he should move to Saskatoon, they have many NIMBYs as well.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 6:29 AM
積屍氣冥界波

Quite a pit:

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 8:58 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SekishikiMeikaiHa View Post
Quite a pit:
Nice perspective. Your picture indicates the enormous amount of additional excavation that is required. I expect the retaining wall in the background of your picture to be at least 70 feet tall when excavation is complete (I wonder if additional reinforcement will be required for the retaining wall?)

This makes me appreciate all the excavation that must have been required for Scotia Square, which has a larger footprint (but maybe Scotia Square wasn't required to be as deep - I am not sure?)

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 2:14 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That perspective is interesting. It's easier to appreciate the scale of the site from that angle. Here's a recent webcam shot:

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/hal...n-history.html

Looks like they will soon be down to the Argyle Street level from the Market Street side. I seem to recall that they will go down 70 feet, but I'm not sure if that's from Argyle or Market.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 3:28 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
...I seem to recall that they will go down 70 feet, but I'm not sure if that's from Argyle or Market.
I heard that as well.. I figure that'll probably be from the upper side, on Market, but still the elevation difference between the 2 streets is 15-20 feet along the site, so even if that's the case, you're still looking at a 50-55 foot hole on the Argyle side, still pretty impressive.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 4:23 AM
Honored Member

It will be interesting to see the final renderings. Since they changed the design to move the ballroom above ground, they won't have to excavate as deep as when the design had most of the exhibition hall and ballroom sunken (plus a couple of levels of parking).

Based on the rendering below, it appears as though it will be 50 - 55 feet below the Grafton Street level and possibly only about 40-45 feet below Argyle Street (assuming two levels of parking and 30 foot ceiling height of the exhibit hall). Grafton Street appears to be level with the top of the exhibition hall ceiling structure. It appears as though there is still a significant amount of excavation remaining (based on the webcam shot by someone123).

(source: http://buildyourcentre.ca/ )

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 5:40 AM
積屍氣冥界波

Update:

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 12:52 PM
Honored Member

It looks like excavation will take many more months. But once the design plans are complete, then maybe they can start pouring concrete once it is partially excavated (the way it was done with the Waterside). Any guesses on the first concrete pour? My guess is around the end of July (2013).

The good thing about Halifax being built on bedrock is that residents don't have to worry about natural sink holes such as what happens in Florida.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 3:15 PM

PS if anyone likes a good cup of coffee or tasty treat Le French Fix just recently opened on Prince street where JW Books used to be. It's a great place to sip a cup and watch the construction. They have a great view.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
It looks like excavation will take many more months. But once the design plans are complete, then maybe they can start pouring concrete once it is partially excavated (the way it was done with the Waterside). Any guesses on the first concrete pour? My guess is around the end of July (2013).

The good thing about Halifax being built on bedrock is that residents don't have to worry about natural sink holes such as what happens in Florida.
Depends Fenwick. Again not to be a "hater", but to share how the process typically works.

In order to begin pouring they will need to submit there plans in order to be presented a building permit. Before that they will need to submit to HRM by design (only the height is singled out in HRM by design). Who knows what if any changes will be required by the design review committee.

Once those are completed then they can build. When that will happen, who knows, but seeing how most of the time this process take 3-6 months july is somewhat tight.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 3:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Any guesses on the first concrete pour? My guess is around the end of July (2013).
I'll guess late August of this year.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 8:15 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I want it built now! haha, that is the downside of waiting for buildings to go up. It takes forever it seems!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 8:48 PM
hi

One cool thing about this project is that, if the reviews go well and a permit is issued fairly quickly, there will be a very short time between final designs and the first concrete pour. As opposed to the other extreme where say, a new proposal could sit around for awhile depending on economics, plus the approval period, plus preparations and excavation, and if the design isn't updated it could already be several years old by the time construction even begins.
*Though in the case of the Alexander, I would be okay with that.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 8:54 PM
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SekishikiMeikaiHa View Post
Update:

The Market St. retaining wall is shaping up to be one of the tallest structures in downtown Halifax, lol.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
PS if anyone likes a good cup of coffee or tasty treat Le French Fix just recently opened on Prince street where JW Books used to be. It's a great place to sip a cup and watch the construction. They have a great view.
Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out soon!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 3:26 PM

Not sure if this was posted yet:

www.halifax2016.ca

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 5:36 PM
hi

^Thanks for posting. Looking at the floor plans, it's good that the main convention space and ballroom are in the corner that's under a viewplane, because a tower probably couldn't be there anyway (due to all the support columns being in the way of convention space). Another benefit is the possibility of some sort of skylight(s) on the ceiling of the ballroom.

On another note, I can't tell where the entrance and ramps will be for the parkade down below.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 2:30 AM

What is the deal with everybody worrying about letting light into the ball room/meeting rooms/convention room? Every time i go into a room to do something in a ball room or other room the first thing we are asked and do is block as much light as possible from getting into the room.. The design of this new centre will add thousands of dollars to production costs...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth