HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

    

Wilshire Grand Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum
            
View Full Map

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3001  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 4:29 AM
Eightball's Avatar
Eightball Eightball is offline
life is good
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Historic Core
Posts: 2,250
...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinPeat View Post
Today Friday November 6, 2015. Thanks to Robb!!! for all the photos. Have a nice weekend, Enjoys!!

Wilshire Grand #dtla by robb, on Flickr

Wilshire Grand #dtla by robb, on Flickr

Wilshire Grand #dtla by robb, on Flickr

Wilshire Grand #dtla by robb, on Flickr

Wilshire Grand #dtla by robb, on Flickr

Wilshire Grand #dtla by robb, on Flickr
     
     
  #3002  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 6:13 AM
ongchangye ongchangye is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Orange County
Posts: 13
Looks like glazing has been on hold for the past week or so. Are they still water testing the glass, or waiting on shipment of the G2 glass?
     
     
  #3003  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 6:51 AM
upward 2000 upward 2000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 403
I was wondering the same thing regarding the glazing. Otherwise BRB embeds are visible standing vertical on top of the core for level 69 or 70 This had become the third tallest building in October. Now the core looks to be about 770'
     
     
  #3004  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 2:36 AM
timpdx's Avatar
timpdx timpdx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 369
Some distant views from Angeles Crest Highway



__________________
Travel, Scenic & Architecture Photos at: http://www.pixelmap.com/
     
     
  #3005  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 2:57 AM
NativeOrange's Avatar
NativeOrange NativeOrange is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Westminster/Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 331
My only peeve with the LA skyline is how it just stops abruptly on the eastern side. Wilshire Grand will give us a second "peak" so to speak and metropolis as well as all the other big projects will kind of trickle down from there. But the other side is just sad.
     
     
  #3006  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 3:00 AM
timpdx's Avatar
timpdx timpdx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
My only peeve with the LA skyline is how it just stops abruptly on the eastern side. Wilshire Grand will give us a second "peak" so to speak and metropolis as well as all the other big projects will kind of trickle down from there. But the other side is just sad.
Well, Effin' Related needs to get on with the Gehry project, which would help immensely with the East side of DTLA. Have little faith in them, tho.
__________________
Travel, Scenic & Architecture Photos at: http://www.pixelmap.com/
     
     
  #3007  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 4:49 PM
Eightball's Avatar
Eightball Eightball is offline
life is good
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Historic Core
Posts: 2,250
here's a clip from a different side (from Friday)

Video Link
     
     
  #3008  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 9:09 PM
Yackemflaber69's Avatar
Yackemflaber69 Yackemflaber69 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 584
More steel is being put up right now.
/
     
     
  #3009  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 5:49 PM
Jaycruz Jaycruz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
My only peeve with the LA skyline is how it just stops abruptly on the eastern side. Wilshire Grand will give us a second "peak" so to speak and metropolis as well as all the other big projects will kind of trickle down from there. But the other side is just sad.
When I first moved out here from the east coat a few years ago. The two most noticeable things to come to mind with the skyline is how it ends abruptly to the north and the east. The eastern section is getting some help with all the proposed and under construction projects pushing the skyline eastward.

The northern section however, as someone else has stated, with related inc. they need to either build the Gehry project or be replaced. We've seen projects come years later after the Gehry and are already under full constructions if not completed already. Its a shame that the city allows them to sit on these plots of land.
     
     
  #3010  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 6:27 PM
NativeOrange's Avatar
NativeOrange NativeOrange is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Westminster/Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycruz View Post
When I first moved out here from the east coat a few years ago. The two most noticeable things to come to mind with the skyline is how it ends abruptly to the north and the east. The eastern section is getting some help with all the proposed and under construction projects pushing the skyline eastward.

The northern section however, as someone else has stated, with related inc. they need to either build the Gehry project or be replaced. We've seen projects come years later after the Gehry and are already under full constructions if not completed already. Its a shame that the city allows them to sit on these plots of land.
Tell me about it. The first time I visited this forum, Grand Avenue was a new proposal. Almost a decade later I can't believe the same project still hasn't put a single shovel in the dirt.

Mind boggling really.
     
     
  #3011  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 8:03 PM
LibraryTower LibraryTower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 19
The only new projects on the Eastern side of DTLA I can think of are the new courthouse (which isn't really a skyscraper) and whatever current faux Italian monstrosity Geoff Palmer is up to. From a legal standpoint that area of the financial district is one of the most difficult to get a tower approved in... which is unfortunate. Maybe the LA River redevelopment will shuffle some money around there. Until then, it's currently too much of an administrative hub, and LA doesn't want city hall and the surrounding government buildings to be dotted with residential high rises- despite the housing crisis.

That said, we can probably expect all new significant development that doesn't involve major demolition to be in South Park for the foreseeable future.
     
     
  #3012  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 9:37 PM
Jaycruz Jaycruz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraryTower View Post
The only new projects on the Eastern side of DTLA I can think of are the new courthouse (which isn't really a skyscraper) and whatever current faux Italian monstrosity Geoff Palmer is up to. From a legal standpoint that area of the financial district is one of the most difficult to get a tower approved in... which is unfortunate. Maybe the LA River redevelopment will shuffle some money around there. Until then, it's currently too much of an administrative hub, and LA doesn't want city hall and the surrounding government buildings to be dotted with residential high rises- despite the housing crisis.

That said, we can probably expect all new significant development that doesn't involve major demolition to be in South Park for the foreseeable future.
In terms of a geographical stand point. When you look above from google maps, city hall area (civic center) would be considered north downtown, South park is obviously south, The financial district and everything pushed against the 110 is west (west lake being on the other side of the 110), and Broadway and everything heading towards the River (arts district) is east.

In terms of projects "helping push the skyline east but not necessarily in the eastern half of downtown, we have a total of 10 plus towers in the "serious proposal range" not including some that have been proposed for decades. and we currently have 3 under construction.

In the north end ( everything lining the civic center and 101) its swarmed with 7 story boxes and related inc. 2 giant parcels of land that are just sitting there. I guess you can add the beacon tower, broadway and 4th tower, 5-oh (park fifth) and other proposals up there as north as well, but still "helping push the skyline east away from the financial district".
     
     
  #3013  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 1:57 AM
timpdx's Avatar
timpdx timpdx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 369
From the East Side various spots this beautiful evening:







__________________
Travel, Scenic & Architecture Photos at: http://www.pixelmap.com/

Last edited by timpdx; Nov 12, 2015 at 2:08 AM.
     
     
  #3014  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 7:12 PM
ozone's Avatar
ozone ozone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sacramento California
Posts: 2,208
Very exciting. How many more floors to go before they top out? The tapering and spire even more the height is really going to bring something different to the skyline.

And it looks like SF's Salesforce tower is finally getting ready to steel up so we'll have another supertall in California soon!

I agree that getting the long stalled Grand Avenue Project back on track (in whatever form) is probably the most important thing right now. If done right, it will be kind of the linchpin, bringing downtown together. What is it's status?
     
     
  #3015  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 8:23 PM
Yackemflaber69's Avatar
Yackemflaber69 Yackemflaber69 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 584
I think the steel has about 9 floors left. The core has 4. Idk if they are skipping anymore floors.
     
     
  #3016  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 3:58 AM
SLJR SLJR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yackemflaber69 View Post
I think the steel has about 9 floors left. The core has 4. Idk if they are skipping anymore floors.
10 floors left that tie into the core, then about 9 stories of crown sail. Spire will connect to the side of the sail and extend another 175 feet over it.
     
     
  #3017  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 4:19 AM
upward 2000 upward 2000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLJR View Post
10 floors left that tie into the core, then about 9 stories of crown sail. Spire will connect to the side of the sail and extend another 175 feet over it.
SLJR is level 69 for the core poured now. And do you have an elevation for that level.
     
     
  #3018  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 5:24 AM
HiRiser HiRiser is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ongchangye View Post
Looks like glazing has been on hold for the past week or so. Are they still water testing the glass, or waiting on shipment of the G2 glass?
Water testing the glass shouldn't put a stop to installation unless they sprung a leak.
     
     
  #3019  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 10:31 PM
King Kill 'em's Avatar
King Kill 'em King Kill 'em is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRiser View Post
Water testing the glass shouldn't put a stop to installation unless they sprung a leak.
They must have sprung a leak then because no new glass has gone up in a month.
     
     
  #3020  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 12:09 AM
Just-In-Cali's Avatar
Just-In-Cali Just-In-Cali is offline
Urbanite in Suburbia
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles Metro
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
They must have sprung a leak then because no new glass has gone up in a month.
Well, they finished the cladding right up to the point where it transitions from the office space to the hotel, and the hotel windows, per the details online and so forth, are a different glass, as well as being operable (they can open in some capacity) I'm guessing one of two things, they are going to wait until the steel is done for the hotel portion and do all the glass at once, or there is some kind of delay in delivery of the type 2 glass. Guess we'll have to see.
__________________
Blue State Heaven
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:56 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.