HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Wilshire Grand Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 3:05 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

^^^ Pretty close, Park Fifth would have been 820'. The only other towers on record taller would have been the Figuroa Tower (i think 1'200') and Three Cal Plaza (910' or thereabouts).
And yeah...I know by the international def 300 meters is 'supertall, so Houston has two. I just like the 1000' foot measurement because i think it has more impact. Just a personal preference.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 1:13 AM

so many on here are so touchy! and im sure this comment just enflamed said people.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
A panel including Chris Martin discussing the revitalization of Downtown LA including the Wilshire Grand.

(you can skip to about 17 mins)
Video Link

A few details:

•On the 17th of December, 2,700 trucks will begin bringing in concrete for a continuous 3-day pour on a foundation about the size of a football field, and 20 feet thick
•"Full firemen's elevator"
•There will be LEDs displaying "commercial art" on the top.
•Completion in December 2016
This was a very good video. There is a brief discussion about the homeless population downtown and its subsequent hindrance of development

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 4:45 AM

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 10:39 PM

Most excellent photo update.

This thing will be officially under construction pretty soon.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall/awkward View Post
Not that you can tell the difference between 980 and 1000 feet with the naked eye anyway. Both Houston and LA have lots of tall buildings, and to say that this one belongs in Hong Kong or Dubai is quite a compliment!
Houston's Wells Fargo Plaza is 992 ft.

8 feet is hardly noticeable to a birds eye much less a humans eyes.

If antennas were counted, Houston would have 3 supertalls with One Shell Plaza's massive roof antenna rising to 1,000 feet. It punctuates the downtown skyline.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 9:17 PM
Legos,Buildings,Drawing

Quote:
Originally Posted by unanimity View Post
[IMG][/IMG]Look what I found! When I say found, i mean made.
NICE NICE can you Photoshop this pic

Or/ and this one

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 10:11 PM
+

With a city of such a large population, Los Angeles has an exceptionally pathetic skyline. There should be easily 10x as many towers as there are currently.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 10:22 PM
Legos,Buildings,Drawing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
With a city of such a large population, Los Angeles has an exceptionally pathetic skyline. There should be easily 10x as many towers as there are currently.
They have multiple cities and towns in LA county. its just the city of LA has a downtown. Like Long beach is a city in LA, but it has its own downtown too. There are like 20 different cities with downtown in LA county. its just so big its not compact like NYC.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
we must give it time.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 12:08 AM
So-called president

Quote:
There's nothing pathetic about LA's skyline. Obviously you know nothing about the history of this city or why it doesn't have a massive skyline. Think before posting such blatantly ignorant comments.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 1:04 AM

Tallest skyline in a 2,000 mile radius is "pathetic"?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 2:39 AM

why are people responding to an obvious idiot troll?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 4:51 AM
High on a Hill

Quote:
Not to mention the dirty air which seldom lets you see it clearly...that night shot above is particularly bad.

When I lived there and went to visit our law firm, I often thought it was pointless to be so high up in a tower in LA. On many days the view was incredibly restricted by smog.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 10:54 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Not to mention the dirty air which seldom lets you see it clearly...that night shot above is particularly bad.

When I lived there and went to visit our law firm, I often thought it was pointless to be so high up in a tower in LA. On many days the view was incredibly restricted by smog.
L.A. actually has gotten very clear over the past few years. Over summer, the marine layer rolls in, which is similar to smog, except for that it's natural. During the winter and spring, however, the air is crystal clear.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 5:30 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:

LOL...You really came all the way to this thread just to take a swipe at the air quality? Wow..HAHA...LOVE my Bay Area compatriots!

Anywhoo, I'm thinking this thread, as was mentioned, will be moving over into construction very soon. As soon as the excavation starts I assume.
I'm actually surprised how quickly this process is going...at least by the standards of how slow most projects here tend to be.
Quite pleased!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 6:23 PM
So-called president

And the marine layer is very often confused for smog... people look at it and think, "they're not kiddin' about LA's dirty air".

When the digging begins I think it will be in the "prep" stage. The concrete pour will begin on December 17th.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 6:30 PM
High on a Hill

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
LOL...You really came all the way to this thread just to take a swipe at the air quality? Wow..HAHA...LOVE my Bay Area compatriots!

Anywhoo, I'm thinking this thread, as was mentioned, will be moving over into construction very soon. As soon as the excavation starts I assume.
I'm actually surprised how quickly this process is going...at least by the standards of how slow most projects here tend to be.
Quite pleased!
Actually no--I've been somewhat watching this thread for a while--it's very interesting now that this it seems to be moving. I actually like downtown LA and think it's come a long way in the last 40 years. This tower will continue that and I'm looking forward to seeing it in LA and having it in California. The photos above just reminded me of living in LA after Chicago and before being here in San Francisco again. I'm fortunate to have frequently experienced highrises and skyscrapers in all three cities.

Illithid Dude, I'm glad the air is cleaner. You reminded me that it's time for a trip down there!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 7:07 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:
Actually no--I've been somewhat watching this thread for a while--it's very interesting now that this it seems to be moving. I actually like downtown LA and think it's come a long way in the last 40 years. This tower will continue that and I'm looking forward to seeing it in LA and having it in California. The photos above just reminded me of living in LA after Chicago and before being here in San Francisco again. I'm fortunate to have frequently experienced highrises and skyscrapers in all three cities.

Illithid Dude, I'm glad the air is cleaner. You reminded me that it's time for a trip down there!
Ok, That's cool. It just struck me as odd that you would literally come in an ONLY comment on smog. But if you are following the thread, great, the more the merrier.

And I cant express enough how often I correct people when they see anything less than crystal clear skies around here and scream "SMOG!!!!!".
(Hint: Stratified grayish haze that goes up to mountaintop heights = inversion/marine layer. Brownish dense layer that tends to hug the ground more=smog!)
The stereotype is one that was sadly earned years ago (my asthma is a testament to that), but the difference is almost night and day. WE used to have smog reports every night with our weather, now its a distance memory.
Once I went on a field trip in Middle school in the early 90s and could'nt clearly see the Skyline from the 10 fwy in the freeway loop around DT, and our eyes were burning. We've come a long way.

As far as construction, from what I gather, they will be digging and shoring up "the pit" over the next 5 months, and yes, that continuous three day pour for the foundation starts Dec 17th. (I'm gonna be there for that!)
Then it will be off and running. Who woulda though we'd be getting another supertall in LA? Who is stoked? ME!

Last edited by Just-In-Cali; Jun 17, 2013 at 4:47 AM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 7:13 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Plus, am I the only one that is somewhat captivated by the Wedbush building now that Wilshire Grand is gone and you get a really full view. Its one of the more interesting and attractive towers in DT I think. A real gem that is somewhat forgotten.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive