HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 9:58 PM

Hopefully someone has someone they can recommend for me someone in this city who has the equipment to move a 10'x12' garden shed from our yard, at a minimum onto a trailer we have, or using their equipment to another part of the city. Catch is the shed is at the top of a hill with a fence at the bottom so it almost needs to be lifted out of the yard. We'd rather relocate the shed (its in pretty good shape) than tear it down since the person who's buying our house doesn't want it and my father-in-law could use it.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 10:44 PM
cow orker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Hopefully someone has someone they can recommend for me someone in this city who has the equipment to move a 10'x12' garden shed from our yard, at a minimum onto a trailer we have, or using their equipment to another part of the city. Catch is the shed is at the top of a hill with a fence at the bottom so it almost needs to be lifted out of the yard. We'd rather relocate the shed (its in pretty good shape) than tear it down since the person who's buying our house doesn't want it and my father-in-law could use it.
Stampede Crane has machines with 100'+ of stick, IIRC. Although, you might be dropping quite a few shekels if they have a min. charge...

A very easy pick, though, if you have the shed up on blocks before they show up... just belly sling on the ends, and Bob's your uncle.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 5:12 PM

Thanks. I've checked with a few places and the cost of moving its more than its worth, so it looks like we're going to be having a good old tear-the-shed-apart party instead.

I must say that the process of moving is really making me realize why people hate it so much, too much stress and things to deal with. At least we've got a place to move to now, though with an 8 day period between being out of our current place and moving into the new place.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 5:36 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Where's the new place Mersar?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Where's the new place Mersar?
Woodbine. Nice 4 bedroom 4 level split, with a walkout third level. Even better is that it's had virtually everything that a 30 year old house needs done to it done already.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 9:49 PM
not a NIMBY

woohoo! We're 14th best city in Canada to live in! Worse than Winnipeg!
http://www.moneysense.ca/2012/03/20/...-to-live-2012/

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 9:54 PM
So very tired...

Ha ha, worse than Edmonton!

I'd imagine Calgary lost a lot of points because of housing costs?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 9:56 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Ha ha, worse than Edmonton!

I'd imagine Calgary lost a lot of points because of housing costs?
Worse then Red Deer! That smarts!

Obviously important municipal infrastructure like sewage treatment wasn't considered a factor or Halifax wouldn't have placed 4th.

Last edited by Jimby; Aug 1, 2012 at 10:22 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 12:47 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Worse then Red Deer! That smarts!

Obviously important municipal infrastructure like sewage treatment wasn't considered a factor or Halifax wouldn't have placed 4th.
lol
from a former Ontarian's perspective: any list that puts suburban hell like Burlington and (particularly) Newmarket ahead of Calgary needs their methodology examined

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 5:24 PM
The City That Moves

The following chart is meant to illustrate communities that have low crime, good commute times and pedestrian friendliness. I made this chart to compare against the Avenue Magazine best neighbourhoods survey which I belive is based on a Leger survey than actual metrics.

Also note that although the CBD\Beltline is relatively high for crime, there are 100,000+ people who work in the Centre City but do not live there.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 5:36 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

That's awesome Radley77, I've crossposted it to the discussion about the Avenue results in a thread over at CalgaryPuck. There's been some good discussion there about the results, and I will be interested to see the response to this.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 5:46 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

If anything, this illustrates to me that Calgary is a ridiculously safe city.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 5:49 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

One of the CalPuck forumers is wondering if they can see the excel sheet for it, so they can better see the individual communities. Any chance of getting it?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 6:21 PM

Quote:
One of the CalPuck forumers is wondering if they can see the excel sheet for it, so they can better see the individual communities. Any chance of getting it?
i would love to be able to see all communities as well. great work radley77!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 8:45 PM
City of Blinding Lights

This is TOO GOOD to not watch out. Turns out train geeks are called "foamers" because they foam at the mouth when they see new trains. Somehow I wonder if Bigtime sounded like this when the Antanov was in town! LOL
Video Link

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 8:47 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
This is TOO GOOD to not watch out. Turns out train geeks are called "foamers" because they foam at the mouth when they see new trains. Somehow I wonder if Bigtime sounded like this when the Antanov was in town! LOL
I can assure you I did not, I was too focused on making sure I didn't blow it trying to get some photos of the beast.

I also think the whole line "I'm finally going to get a heritage unit" has become almost a type of meme to these train spotters.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 9:42 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Hiya, the data in the graph is in the following spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwsA...VDQ/edit?pli=1

The reference data came from the 2011 City of Calgary Census info:
http://www.calgary.ca/CA/city-clerks...ity_Tables.xls

and the crime data came from the City of Calgary crime statistics:
http://www.calgarypolice.ca/pdf/Comm...ts_Dec2011.xls

I agree with Fusili's comments regarding crime. Overall rate of incidence is relatively low enough that I think greater weighting should be placed on the day to day aspects of quality of life (walkability\cyclability).

I think communities that have a high degree of walkability are the best places to live in Calgary because it means an ability to work fitness into part of a lifestyle and a greater social connectivity. My hope is that every single community in Calgary move in the direction of better active mode mobility and connectivity.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 10:35 PM
The City That Moves

I updated the graph a bit to highlight Avenue Magazine versus data which I think is more representative for 171 communities. Avenue Magazine seems to be slightly weighted towards the regions I highlighted, but there are some obvious ones that I think should be amended (like including Mission and excluding Montgomery).

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 7:48 PM
Near Generational

I'm looking to buy a Nexus 7 tablet. Has anyone seen them in stock anywhere in Calgary? I have been checking the Future Shop and Best Buy websites to check stock, but they have been out for a couple weeks now.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I'm looking to buy a Nexus 7 tablet. Has anyone seen them in stock anywhere in Calgary? I have been checking the Future Shop and Best Buy websites to check stock, but they have been out for a couple weeks now.
They're pretty hard to come by locally still. Memory Express had some initially but they are showing out of stock currently too. Best bet may be ordering it direct from Google via the Play Store unless you're willing to wait for stock to come in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation