HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

15 Hudson Yards in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 9:46 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/130209967

Hudson Yard's Culture Shed detailed
City Planning Commission presents plans for new cultural facility to rise in Hudson Yards. Now proposal goes to a community board for review.

By Matt Chaban
February 5, 2013

Quote:
On Monday, the City's Department of Cultural Affairs provided its most detailed plans yet for Culture Shed, a 170,000-square-foot visual and performing arts institution that will anchor the southern end of The Related Cos.'s 26-acre Hudson Yards project west of Penn Station.

Designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro and Rockewell Group, the building is envisioned as a kuntshalle, essentially a museum with no permanent collection, that would accommodate shows from local and international cultural establishments. Its most dramatic feature will be a 140-foot retractable structure that when rolled into place will double the size of the ground-floor gallery.

"We spent the past few years studying what was really missing from the cultural landscape, what is it New York City isn't getting culturally," Laurie Beckelman, a consultant on the project, said following a City Planning Commission hearing on the plan Monday.

Among the proposed changes is that the 150-foot-tall Culture Shed, will be 70,000 square feet larger than the 100,000-square-foot cultural space approved in 2004. The building, which will abut the High Line along 30th Street near 11th Avenue, was to have been surrounded on all sides by public open space. The building has now been shifted west, nestled inside a neighboring apartment building, also designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro, with which it will share back-of-house space.

Culture Shed promoters say the changes will create a larger, higher-quality public space that allows for a free-flowing connection between the High Line, a large public plaza at the heart of the Hudson Yards eastern block and Hudson Boulevard, a park that will extend to 42nd Street.

Some planning commissioners worried this was a move by Related, which is developing the residential tower, to increase the height of its building, since the shared space will not count against the developer's air rights within the project.

"They want the (additional size)," Commissioner Irwin Cantor said.

During the course of explaining the zoning changes, the city revealed a number of new details about the project. Its main entrance will be on 30th Street, under the High Line, with entrances on the Hudson Yards platform, as well. There will be three galleries within the building and a fourth on the roof that will be open to the sky with an adjoining café.

Installations and works on the rooftop space and on the plaza outside over which the roof can extend will be open to the public. Shows within the building will require admission. When the plaza is not in use for shows, it will have movable seating and landscaping akin to what has been installed in Times Square and is bound for the Metropolitan Museum.

Another look at the model...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 4:08 AM

Sounds like Related is trying to increase the height according to that article.

That would be pretty sweet

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 1:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEPman View Post
Sounds like Related is trying to increase the height according to that article.
Well, the size (if you include the shed), which would push the tower a little higher. But I don't know if they haven't done that already. The discription matches what we have been seeing, as opposed to the earlier stand alone version.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 6:47 PM

I recently watched a couple of long videos about the entire Related Hudson Yards development (groundbreaking with Bloomberg and the Big City, Big Ideas Lecture).

In one of those, I believe it was Stephen Ross that mentioned almost as a side note that the Culture Shed would be the permanent future home of New York Fashion Week.

Did anyone else notice that, and has that been confirmed anywhere else?

PS The Culture Shed and the residential tower are amazing. Really looking forward to seeing these built. I'm also looking forward to seeing what new name is given to the culture shed. I can't imagine that will be the permanent name.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 9:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
I believe it was Stephen Ross that mentioned almost as a side note that the Culture Shed would be the permanent future home of New York Fashion Week.
Yeah, that's been talked about for a long time now, particularly ever since it was kicked out of Bryant Park.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 9:21 PM

^

I have heard that as well, but I think it's just been rumblings. But NY Fashion Week has bounced around a bit in recent years, Lincoln Center, Bryant Park, I think, so I wouldn't rule out a move.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 9:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
I have heard that as well, but I think it's just been rumblings. But NY Fashion Week has bounced around a bit in recent years, Lincoln Center, Bryant Park, I think, so I wouldn't rule out a move.
There was specific talk from the City of moving fashion week to the Hudson Yards, particularly because of the public spaces there. Lincoln Center was always supposed to be temporary, and as is typical, people have complained about it being there.

http://www.metro.us/newyork/local/ar...-fashion-world

Quote:
Coach may not be the only fashionable tenant; Bloomberg also hinted yesterday he may to move Fashion Week to Hudson Yards.

“Fashion Week has outgrown Lincoln Center,” said Bloomberg. “The CultureShed would be able to house it.”

http://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/sh...ng/inspiration

Quote:
Imagine New York Fashion Week at home in Culture Shed at Hudson Yards, with the fashion flock seamlessly flying between shows here and at Chelsea’s Milk Studios.

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2011/11/...w-museum-mile/

Quote:
The Wall Street Journal reported that the arts center, which Mayor Michael Bloomberg said this week would host Fashion Week, would be home to theater performances, traveling exhibitions and community events.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 10:45 PM
New Yorker for life

http://chelseanow.com/2013/02/hudson...-neighborhood/

Hudson Yards Set to Alter Skyline, Transform Neighborhood

February 6, 2013

Quote:
“We recently broke ground on South Tower, which does not need a platform to be built over the Rail Yards,” Related spokesperson Joanna Rose recently told Chelsea. “We are currently doing excavation work, which is for the foundation, and then we will work to build Tower C. The superstructure will be completed by July or August of this year.”......also noted that Related owns a building at 500 West 30th Street that is already in superstructure to become a 32-story, 386-unit rental building, to be completed by 2014.

Later that year, Diller Scofido + Renfro and Rockwell Group will begin work on Tower D, on the southeast side of 30th Street and Eleventh Avenue. This 72-story residential tower, called The Corset, will be half rentals and half condominiums — and will feature a network of crisscrossing straps that cinches the tower at its midsection, squeezing the rectilinear lower half of the building into a curvaceous upper half.

“Tower D will be completed in 2016, and will be affordable housing — both buildings will be 80/20, and affordable housing options will also be built at 529 W. 29th Street. There will be 139 units, and we are trying to make that 100 percent affordable housing,” said Rose.

“The opportunity to design the residential tower and the last phase of the High Line gives our studio the rare chance to create an urban ensemble in New York that brings living, culture, and recreation into one location,” said Liz Diller of Diller Scofidio + Renfro in a statement.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 10:54 PM

Too bad this won't break ground until next year, but it should be worth the wait.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 5:36 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Well the name certainly seems appropriate, considering the form of the tower.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 7:01 PM

Thanks for the answers guys.

(My wife and I are hoping to relocate to NYC soon so I've been doing a crash course catching up with NYC development before we get there. There's a lot more activity to follow compared to my hometown of Indianapolis, though we do have our fair share of conversation-worth development for a small-to-mid-sized city.)

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 9:25 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.cityandstateny.com/fact-c...e-city-claims/

Fact Check: Bloomberg’s State Of The City Claims

Written by Nick Powell
February 25, 2013

Quote:
Culture Shed: Part of the Hudson Yards project, this arts center was another of the mayor’s prized development initiatives, and one of the few where Bloomberg chose to show pictures of what it might look like when completed. But it remains to be seen if there will be a ground-breaking any time soon. The City Planning Commission only just recently sent the plan for the project to the local community board for review, and city officials hope optimistically that it will be completed by 2017—which would put it toward the end of the first term for the next mayor.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 2:30 PM

Did Stephen Ross really name this building "The Corset"? We don't need silly names for our buildings in NYC.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 2:39 PM
New Yorker for life

The merger of the Culture Shed with the tower had to be approved, and of course City Planning issued its Negative Declaration (thumbs up).
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/env_...3m_neg_dec.pdf

Grabbed some new images of the planned facility...
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/env_...cp083m_eas.pdf

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 4:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerVoodoo View Post
Did Stephen Ross really name this building "The Corset"? We don't need silly names for our buildings in NYC.
Why not? It is all in good fun. I think it is quite funny in London when they do such things.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 4:35 PM

I LOVE that culture shed! Brilliant architecture IMO.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerVoodoo View Post
While you are correct that the majority of the prominent buildings in NYC are either named after their corporate sponsors (which may change over time) or have designer addresses, it certainly is not unheard of to use a "silly" name. Example: The Flat Iron Building. And seeing as this is a residential building, the corporate sponsorship is out. I like The Corset. Makes it even more distinctive.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 401PAS View Post
While you are correct that the majority of the prominent buildings in NYC are either named after their corporate sponsors (which may change over time) or have designer addresses, it certainly is not unheard of to use a "silly" name. Example: The Flat Iron Building. And seeing as this is a residential building, the corporate sponsorship is out. I like The Corset. Makes it even more distinctive.
Lipstick Bldg too

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 5:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
Lipstick Bldg too
Now all NY needs is a 'twirly whirly' to round out its architectural delights.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 8:50 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Chippendale Building?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive