HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 3:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is how I remember the Killam; brutalist, barren, sterile and with crumbling concrete............

There was a horrible "wind tunnel" effect by the entrance into the central courtyard, especially in the middle of winter!

I'm glad that things have changed!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 4:07 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There are more people living in eastern & northern NB than in southern and western NB. PEI falls into our orbit and if you live in Cumberland County NS, you tend to come to Moncton for specialized care rather than Halifax. I would say our catchment population for medical services is about 550,000 as apposed to about 400,000 for Saint John.
Thanks for all your contributions to this forum MonctonRad. I think that the Maritime Provinces are certainly the least understood part of the country.

Quote:
It is also a (not-so-secret) dream of mine that there might be CFL teams based in both Halifax and Moncton. The distance between the cities and the dissimilar catchment areas are such that I don't think this is completely preposterous. Having two teams "out east" would lead to an intense rivalry that would be good for the game! (You should see the rivalry right now between the Saint John Sea Dogs & the Moncton Wildcats).
I think that this is possible. Look at the QMJHL and how the Maritime teams have strengthened that league. CFL teams in the Maritimes would not have to compete with the NHL like it does in several other Canadian cities (in Toronto it has to compete with the NBA Raptors, MLB Blue Jays, NHL Maple Leafs and even the NFL Buffalo Bills).

Quote:
The needs of suburban families with young kids is entirely different from those of empty nesters and urban singles living downtown. I have lived both lifestyles and I know this from personal experience.
Since I have a son who was in hockey (and I played recreational hockey) I know the importance of the 4-plex in Bedford. I also have another son and daughter who have been involved in sports to some extent. Also, since I have been in a few libraries, I also feel the new Central Library will be an important addition to Halifax. These are all important in different ways to the HRM. In addition, a new stadium in the Halifax area would attract events to the city that it can not get and therefore does not miss (unfortunately, because the Halifax area has not had such a facility, it does not fully appreciate what it is missing out on). Hopefully in your retirement you will also be able to attand a CFL game in Halifax.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 4:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Hopefully in your retirement you will also be able to attand a CFL game in Halifax.
Since physicians don't start making money until their early 30's and don't have a pension plan, I don't envision retiring for another 13-14 years yet..........but thanks

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 4:58 PM

To me a central library would be more important than a 4 plex, with the 4 plex close behind.
There is a simple solution about the tax dollars in different areas.
Since everyone says "X area is treated like crap" Would stand to reason that every area is treated like crap for the tax dollars they pay.
Now the wildcard would be new subdivisions, but those will come down in time to the same as the rest.
For example, there are streets in almost every section of the city that need to be re paved, and I mean every section, but none of them are being done any time soon.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 5:08 PM
Salty Town

Quote:

While I think that the new central library for downtown Halifax should make a statement, I am worried that there will be a push to make this building so iconic that it will be at the expense of other necessary recreational infrastructure elsewhere in the municipality. This project should be approached with necessary fiscal prudence.

Having said this, there is a good chance that in retirement, I may return to condo living in downtown Halifax and I look forward to sipping a latte and skimming a good book in the atrium of the new Halifax Central Library..........just don't forget the needs of the suburban families in Halifax!
Taxes from downtown office buildings and dense develoment in the downtown proximity essentially fund the rest of HRM. The assessment for 1801 Hollis St. is $29 million. Those tax dollars fund sewer lines in places like Larry Uteck Dr. where the expense couldn`t be higher for installation and the return is minimal in comparison. There has been very litte investment of tax dollars in downtown in the past 30 years. A central library is a very important project. Look at the New York Public Library and it's role in the community of central Manhattan. The library is now a research library and the property including Bryant Park spans 3 city blocks. The danger of a white elephant for the Halifax library is in stopping short of a significant facility.
MonctonRad it`s nice to hear you're not a radical.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Taxes from downtown office buildings and dense develoment in the downtown proximity essentially fund the rest of HRM. The assessment for 1801 Hollis St. is $29 million. Those tax dollars fund sewer lines in places like Larry Uteck Dr. where the expense couldn`t be higher for installation and the return is minimal in comparison. There has been very litte investment of tax dollars in downtown in the past 30 years. A central library is a very important project. Look at the New York Public Library and it's role in the community of central Manhattan. The library is now a research library and the property including Bryant Park spans 3 city blocks. The danger of a white elephant for the Halifax library is in stopping short of a significant facility.
Well said Empire.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 5:45 PM

Quote:
The "Caution: Wet Floor" sign makes me laugh... juxtaposed against the icy winter scene from years before.

Takeo: I was at Dal from 89-91 too, in Russian Studies but spent a bit of time in the listening room with a couple of music electives with Dr. Kemp. It was a great place to spend an afternoon.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
Nottingham looks like a wealthy suburb compared to Greystone! Greystone is interesting because I don't think most people in the HRM even know it exists, but it is really a scar on the HRM. At least Uniacke and Highfield are close to services and are somewhat a part of a bigger community, Greystone is a isolated compound. The first time I drove up there I was shocked it existed. I really don't know anything about its development, but the choice to put a large social housing project there is incomprehensible.
I've never been in Greystone so I cannot speak for it though I have seen it in Google Streetview and it does look worse than Highfield and Uniacke Square.

Nottingham might not have been the best example for Bedford but well when I typed that it was 2am so I couldn't think of anything better. One difference between Bedford and Spryfield is the clumping of welfare housing. We spread it out into a few different neighbourhoods while in Spryfield it ended up all in one location.

Quote:
On this note - a library provides more services and opportunities than recreation facilities. I know you can argue that recreational facilities have significant benefits for a community - and I agree that they do - a library is a bit different. I library is a civic institution, it provides community meeting space, it provides free training programs and other services - it delivers services (as one example, over the next two months HRM public libraries provide free income tax services to low income residents).

Libraries are much more than a place to borrow books - or to socialize as you say - but for a lot of people libraries are a essential part of a community. For many, libraries are their only access to the internet which is essential today for everything from job searches, apartment searches, information about gov't services, education programs, etc.

I can go on, but maybe the point is this. While a rink may improve more homogenous suburban or more rural communities - and I think this is certainly the case, as it often becomes a key gathering place for kids and parents - a library reaches many more in a city. And for many who use it, access to recreational facilities is secondary, but certainly not necessary. The potential benefits between the two are difficult to compare because they appeal to different groups.
I agree that they attract different types of people and thats perfectly fine. For the most part every community has at least one permnament ice surface and a library (Hammonds Plains being an exception to both).

Really where the money should be spent is where the demand is. Rinks are in huge demand right now across all of HRM and while I'm sure there is demand for libraries too the pressure is more on rinks at the moment. The 4-pad is in a convenient location easily accessible by the entire Northwest region while the Library will have problems attracting people from suburban/exurban areas. Despite what Peninsula residents think Spring Garden Road is not easily accessible to all HRM residents. Convenient locations lie on highways not jam packed streets.

The 4-pad will fill in a massive void where there is no permnament ice surface right now and it also includes meeting space for the area which will be better than using Basinview Elemantary's cafeteria for every public meeting. The Central Library simply expands the services provided in an already filled void.

Quote:
While I think that the new central library for downtown Halifax should make a statement, I am worried that there will be a push to make this building so iconic that it will be at the expense of other necessary recreational infrastructure elsewhere in the municipality. This project should be approached with necessary fiscal prudence.
Quote:
Having said this, there is a good chance that in retirement, I may return to condo living in downtown Halifax and I look forward to sipping a latte and skimming a good book in the atrium of the new Halifax Central Library..........just don't forget the needs of the suburban families in Halifax!
If we ever get the fast ferry I'd welcome you to look at Bedford too. We cater to retired professionals.

I will admit though I'll have to rent on the Peninsula for a long time before I can afford my own place out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
To me a central library would be more important than a 4 plex, with the 4 plex close behind.
There is a simple solution about the tax dollars in different areas.
Since everyone says "X area is treated like crap" Would stand to reason that every area is treated like crap for the tax dollars they pay.
Now the wildcard would be new subdivisions, but those will come down in time to the same as the rest.
For example, there are streets in almost every section of the city that need to be re paved, and I mean every section, but none of them are being done any time soon.
I agree a lot of areas could complain about their treatment (and thats their right) however in some areas it would be harder than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
MonctonRad it`s nice to hear you're not a radical.
It's not just taxes from Downtown that pay for suburban developments like Hemlocke Ravines. Suburbia also paid for the developments. The way they developed that with way too much explosives is dispickable and it is said to see our money go toward it.

It is extreme thoughts like yours that I worry about getting a new library. If you had your way $50 Million+ would be blown on the project and it would be simply a icon of how much better Downtown is to the rest of HRM. a city like Halifax doesn't need all the bells and whistles currently proposed in the project and well people must be blind to think a cafe is necessairy (theres a Second Cup at the same intersection!). I'd honestly be happy with expanding the current library and selling the land owned by HRM to pay for the upgrades.

I have a simple message. Downgrade the scale of the project to an expanded media collection, some meeting space, retail to pay for the cost, and open space for the general public and I will support this.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 8:01 PM
Honored Member

In some municipalities in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), Milton being one, development fees are charged to the developers in order to pay for the new roads and sewer works required to support the development. These development fees are then passed on to the home buyer or business owner. Would this work in the Halifax area?

If one subdivision is more difficult to service than another subdivision then the development fees could be higher. Likely the development fees for a Halifax or Dartmouth home would be less than a distant subdivision.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 8:40 PM

Quote:
In some municipalities in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), Milton being one, development fees are charged to the developers in order to pay for the new roads and sewer works required to support the development. These development fees are then passed on to the home buyer or business owner. Would this work in the Halifax area?

If one subdivision is more difficult to service than another subdivision then the development fees could be higher. Likely the development fees for a Halifax or Dartmouth home would be less than a distant subdivision.
I think they did that for Bedford South, Bedford West and Wentworth though I forget the name (a CCC maybe?).

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 8:40 PM

When was the last time the downtown got some public money invested in a good project? That is my problem with a lot of this argument. There has been a lot of public money spent out in the suburbs. Whether that is for the 4-pad arena or a new interchange. The downtown has not seen any significant public money in the last 2 decades. The only thing I can think of is Alderney Landing, and well that is Dartmouth. I don't see the point in having well funded suburbs and a crumbling downtown. The downtown is the heart of the city. Without it having a beating, vibrant pulse. The rest will suffer. Not too mention as well, the more public money is invested in the suburbs the more incentive there is for more subdivisions to go up. Perhaps if more tax dollars were spent in the downtown we would actually see more buildings being built. I do not want a giant flashy building, but I do want a very well designed building that will be a showcase for good architecture.
Thus ends my rant....for now. lol

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 8:43 PM

A few interesting articles in The Coast this week as well.

More library lessons learned
Halifax isn’t the first city to build a new library, so we asked around North America for some expert advice.
by Andy Murdoch

Pictou-Antigonish Regional Library

Why ask a librarian from rural Nova Scotia for advice? Well, city slicker, because Eric Stackhouse, chief librarian of the Pictou-Antigonish Regional Library, is a few steps ahead of us. His library system, along with a local architect and multiple community partners, are in the homestretch of building a new 16,000-square-foot library in Antigonish.

“We took a page right out of the Partnership for Public Spaces playbook,” Stackhouse says, referring to an American foundation that helps create active public spaces across North America. PPS members visited the area at the beginning of the project and Dale Archibald, the library architect, undertook training with them to better work with the public on the building’s design. After 30 consultation sessions, Stackhouse calls the library, “not just a building, it’s a public space.”

The results sound inspiring: the library partnered with local community groups to provide them with meeting spaces and a community kitchen. The surrounding 1.5 acres of land is integrated by a reading porch with flexible library walls, which open onto a patio that in turn flows down to a trail system. They also realigned sidewalks, street lights, altered street traffic and integrated the building with local businesses.

This month they will send out tenders for local artists to contribute to the space, a plan Stackhouse calls a deliberate “stimulus package for artists.”

It’s an inspiring example of public design by a town that led the way in people-power with the 1920s Antigonish cooperative movement.

Salt Lake City Central Library, Utah

“You want people to come down, you want to create a space,” Ed Sweeney says enthusiastically. Sweeney is CEO of National Public Radio affiliate, KCPW, which lives in Salt Lake City’s $65 million central library, designed by Vancouver’s central library architect Moshe Safdie and Associates.

The city’s head librarian approached the station in 2003 because they thought local public radio would make a great addition to the retail space they had planned for the building. KCPW takes up one storefront, beside a coffee shop, a comic-book store, an art gallery and a florist. Kids, homeless people and families who use the library can watch live radio because the broadcast booth is glassed in. As soon as you walk in the door to the library, you have to pass by KCPW and gawk. The station also has a lounge where the public can come in and watch the broadcast.

Inhabiting the second-most visited building in the city centre (after the Mormon church’s main temple) gives just over a million people easy access to KCPW. Plus, there are fringe benefits for both the station and the library, says Sweeney. “They are our landlords. We are hardwired to them. There is a 300-seat auditorium right next to us we use regularly for broadcasts.” Sweeney also simulcasts library events in the auditorium, and either way, he says, “We promote the library significantly as an underwriter of the station every day.”

ImaginOn, Charlotte, North Carolina

When the director of the Children’s Theatre of Charlotte children’s theatre read a news article about how his local library system planned to open up a new kids library, he saw an opportunity.

“The more they talked the more they realized the two organizations had complementary missions,” says Melanie Baron, exhibitions coordinator for ImaginOn. “A shared building could be more than real estate deal, but also a programmatic partnership.”

ImaginOn opened in 2005. There’s a full children’s theatre, classes, exhibitions, a touring company and, of course, books. The site needed activities available all the time, so the evolved hybrid behaves more like a children’s museum. Groups come and go, events go on every hour. You can join in or just drop into a chair and read.

It took time to work out the kinks. The library has its goals and so does the theatre. Most issues were operational: Librarians work 9-5, while artists are night owls. To help integrate the bicameral site, the concept of shared staff was established early in the design. They focus on the shared mission (“bringing stories to life”), creating a new kind of public space.

ImaginOn offers a valuable lesson, not only in partnership, but in attracting people to a central spot: around 320,000 people visit every year.

Leaving Las Vegas

Back at the turn of the last century when people had money, there was an idea “that pubic buildings were an opportunity to do something grand,” says Witold Rybczynski, professor of urbanism at the University of Pennsylvania. He’s talking 1890s, when New York built its imposing central library, not the 1990s when so many cities across North America built new central libraries.

Problem is, that idea doesn’t quite fit in 2010. “Central libraries were important originally because they were functionally important,” Rybczynski explains. “If you wanted to get a somewhat obscure book, that was the only place you would get it. A lot of central libraries were research libraries.”

Remove that purpose, thanks to Google and penny books from Amazon, and what do you have? Unless you’re in a city with history, money and density like New York, not much. “These big central libraries have to reinvent themselves, because,” he says, “most people don’t need them.” Attempts to remake central libraries often say more about a city’s need to rejuvenate urban cores, Rybczynski says. “It’s more like rebuilding the concert hall or a convention centre or even a downtown sports stadium. It’s one of those buildings that’s seen as a vehicle for reviving downtown.”

If we’re using the library as a vehicle for urban development and not for a usable purpose, then we have a problem. The purpose of the new library must not be a field of dreams. What if no one comes?

If you want a interesting take on this predicament, go to Vegas, Rybczynski says. Yes, Las Vegas. “What Las Vegas did is they didn’t build a central library. It’s only branch libraries.” To Rybczynski, this choice “seemed like that was a really interesting and intelligent solution because they aren’t saddled with this huge whale at the centre of the system which, in American cities at least, tend not to be used very much. Las Vegas just faced that and put lots of money into their branches. Their branch libraries look like most central libraries. They’re very grand, big and well-equipped.”

And let’s face it: unless there were slots in their central library, who would leave Caesar’s anyhow? Thing is, Halifax is committed to building a new library, so what do we do? Answer: the central library must find its purpose. New central libraries in cities like Vancouver “are really public places. It’s about having a public experience,” Rybczynski says. For instance, many replaced their reading rooms with atriums or piazzas. “Which is valid and not to be sneered at. It’s mixing with people and being in a public place.”

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 8:45 PM

Beyond the walls
Design-savvy Haligonians are demanding architectural excellence from the new central library design. But watch out for that Bilbao effect.
by Sue Carter Flinn

"Don't screw it up."

This was the not-so-subtle message that Haligonians sent Halifax Public Libraries CEO Judith Hare and her staff during public consultations for the new central library design. And many of us want a building worthy of international architecture magazines, Hare told a group of library students and practioners at the Information Without Borders conference on February 11.

Halifax architect Niall Savage isn't surprised. "It falls out from the Bilbao effect," says Savage, who won HRM Design Awards for both The Music Room and the Creighton Gerrish Development. "What does it mean to get a signature piece of architecture to a city or town, and what it can do for the city itself?"

The Bilbao effect refers to Spain's Guggenheim Bilbao museum, designed by Frank Gehry. After it opened in 1997, tourists and locals flocked there to experience those giant titanium waves ribboning up to the sky. International thinking soon became "if you build it, they will come and spend money." But ironically it was Gehry himself who, in 2008, said, "It's a bunch of bullshit. You do a building, you solve the problems, people are happy and that's nice."

When international sustainable design expert John Thackera came to Halifax last October, he also warned against the seductive power of trophy buildings. "They have a relatively short lifespan of four to five years," he said in a Coast interview. "Local people will go there once or twice. The number of tourists will start to taper off."

OK then, so what should we look for?

"I don't think that we should be out for the hottest building," says Savage. He explains that a good, environmentally sound design should take into consideration the fabric of the immediate area and beyond: Spring Garden Road retail and the mish-mash of institutions, smaller shops and houses along Queen Street. But that's not to say we should settle for mediocre.

"The new library can also be a wake-up call for the city," he says. "We don't have to be quaint all the time, we don't have to shoot low all the time, we can shoot high, but we do that with good planning and urban design principles. Not just to do something that's splashy."

There's also the added pressure of building a central library, which is different from a community branch, like the award-winning Keshen Goodman in Clayton Park. Its role, says Hare, is to inspire citizens, to be a place of civic pride, a community space. When others, like Montreal's La Grande Bibliothèque du Québec, achieved architectural success, the number of visitors also exceeded expectations. Built by Vancouver's Patkau Architects, the firm won Quebec's first international architecture competition, and was called by the Globe and Mail critic Lisa Rochon, "one of the most exceptional cultural salons in the country."

Though Halifax didn't benefit from the possibilities of an international open design competition like Montreal ("It would have been so much more exciting," says Savage. "You can set the constraints so you're not going to get crazy stuff, but you open it up and see what people do"), and the architecture team has already been chosen (see The Big Decision), there are future public consultations planned for after the announcement.

Even if you haven't picked up a book since Dr. Seuss, this institution will impact your city. Savage makes an astute comparison to another iconic Halifax landmark: "In a way, the new library should be like the Common land: for the people. This is for everyone."

The Big Decision

This Tuesday, March 9, a report recommending the winner of the Halifax Central Library design competition will be presented to city council. Although an official announcement hasn't been made, rumour has it that Halifax's Fowler Bauld & Mitchell, partnering with Denmark's Schmidt Hammer Lassen Architects, beat out the other four local firms on the shortlist. To see work from all of the shortlisted competitors, check out thecoast.ca. The Coast will follow Tuesday's announcement, with reactions and analysis to follow.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 8:45 PM

By the books: Seattle Central Public Library
Seattle's central library is a world-famous mix of daring architecture and the city's creative voice. What can Halifax learn from their success?
by Andy Murdoch

If Halifax Public Libraries CEO Judith Hare had hired Rem Koolhaas to do our library, the diamonds up the arses of people like Herald editors, Peter Kelly and Darrell Dexter would have suddenly gotten much harder.

At least, that's what happened to many folks in Seattle when Koolhaas' name appeared on the design list for their new central library in 1999.

"Koolhaas was the lightning rod for people's dislike of fame," Matthew Stadler remembers. He's a writer who sat on the panel of 14 who chose Koolhaas' Rotterdam-based Office for Metropolitan Architecture to construct the now widely acclaimed central library. Koolhaas is the kind of high-flying Euro architect who drops conceptual art bombs in public. He'd probably tell Haligonians its library must "aggressively orchestrate the coexistence of all available technologies," or something.

But for those wary of using a big-name architect, Stadler has this advice: "It's important not to be blinded by fame: either seeking it, or repudiating it."

Great libraries can come from famous architects, but you must learn to work with them, not for them. "Avoid the dazzle of genius," Stadler advises. "Push that all aside and get a committee to activate the community and the nascent intelligence of that community."

What the Seattle selection board looked for, Stadler says, was "the ability of an architect to activate a broader social process."

Koolhaas could do that. His ability to "orchestrate the theatrical"---to instigate public dialogue with dramatic ideas---was what Stadler believes opened Seattle's eyes to their own creative potential as a city.

"This opportunity is often missed because people don't want to force the city to engage in the design process," Stadler says. Cities often let it all fall to the "genius architect" to run the show and end up with an off-the-shelf product.

Not Seattle. Stadler gives head librarian Deborah Jacobs credit for staying "aggressively" in the driver's seat. "She was an informed advocate. Without Deborah opening their eyes, it wouldn't have gone forward."

In the end, together, Stadler believes the OMA and Jacobs midwived the birth of a daring public space to a dying downtown that previously had none. By deeply engaging with the public and with library staff, Koolhaas won over Seattle.

Was the creativity contagious? Today, the city is no more prettier, Stadler says ruefully. Developers are "still on course to despoil every inch of it," but at the very least Seattle walked away from the process with greater confidence of what it can build, if it's bold enough to do move forward.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 8:47 PM

Channeling history
What's the future for the iconic Spring Garden library building? You can't turn it into a Gap, says councillor Dawn Sloane, who hopes it will become Halifax's first history museum.
by Sean Flinn

For Dawn Sloane, some of those byproducts could end up in a Halifax history museum. "What we have is parts of Halifax in history museums," says the councillor for Halifax Downtown, at a coffee shop near the Spring Garden Memorial Public Library.

Sloane believes that building---whose fate is unknown after the new Halifax Central Library is built---could house a municipal museum. History's built right in---opened in November of 1951, the library was approved by Halifax city council as a commemoration of those lost in the First and Second World Wars. "That's a war memorial," says Sloane. "You can't get rid of a war memorial or turn it into a Gap."

A Halifax history museum would focus on how the city has shaped itself, instead of focusing on the forces that have shaped it, she says. This could include an awareness and appreciation for Halifax's civic spirit and its administrative structure---up to and including the creation of HRM.

It could include social and economic histories, such as the destruction of Africville, last week's official apology and how Scotia Square, she says, "wiped out the poor Irish section of Halifax."

"Why don't we talk about the gays in Halifax? We could be talking about all the different gay places.

"We could talk about anything," continues Sloane. "I want it to be almost a soapbox for us."

An archive has a different tenor than a museum. The former is the quiet keeper while the latter is the animated interpreter. But, HRM archivist Susan McClure explains, "Archives are there to support museums."

Mainly this is done through research expertise, perhaps identifying and locating that one record in the vast store---some 50,000 square feet and "bursting at the seams," says McClure.

The HRM Archives collects records from both municipal (from staff, council and different departments, such as police) and community sources (businesses, community leaders and groups). For example, there's a series of photographs "taken by city of Halifax building inspectors from the 1950s through to the 1980s," McClure explains. "They were just out there doing their job of documenting unsightly premises. So we have over 6,000 images that show a lot of Halifax that doesn't exist anymore."

What makes an unsightly premises and were these properties always fairly judged? Did these photos tell the whole story or were they used to tell an official one? The archivist, again, doesn't interpret history, McClure says. She doesn't have an immediate answer, but she could supply a museum with a selection of those photographs and context for its own inquiry and interpretation.

A small staff (mainly McClure and a librarian) and budget (roughly $150,000) makes ongoing digitization impossible, she says. Yet, the demands and expectations remain high. But the archives' biggest challenge remains its location in Burnside Industrial Park. "It's not ideal for public access. But some researchers love coming out here. There's free parking and the [52] bus does stop at our door [81 Ilsley]," McClure says.

Sloane has pointed this out publicly. McClure's "not impressed with my comments about how they're over in a place where no one can access them, which is the truth," says Sloane. She wants immediacy: "If I was coming off of a cruise ship, and I wanted to see the essence of Halifax, a snapshot of the conception of Halifax itself, to the Explosion, to the Queen coming here with the King and going for a stroll in the Public Gardens---all those things are locked away somewhere. You can see them at a virtual museum at the archives, the Nova Scotia Archives, which pops up something once in a while on Twitter."

Lauren Oostveen, a project coordinator on contract at Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management, started tweeting selections from the provincial archives on her own, between bigger projects, such as the film digitization she's doing with a Dartmouth documentary filmmaker.

"When I have a couple minutes apart from this film project and a few other things I have going on, I just go online and share some of my favourite photos, or do a this-day-in-history kind of thing," explains the 24-year-old. It's her attempt, she says, "to start a dialogue with people who are local, as well anyone else who happens to join in the conversation."

Her conversational partners include archivists from around the world. Of the 2,208 followers of her NSARM Twitter account, there are people from the US, New Zealand, South Africa and from across Europe. "There's a really strong archival community online," says Oostveen. "Tons of genealogists too: so many people have their roots here in Nova Scotia."

On Facebook, members number 1,180 and most are between the ages of 25 and 44. And of the total membership, 65 percent are women, reports Oostveen.

"I saw there was a natural fit between the online content we had and these different websites," she says.

Last fall, Dawn Sloane started a group on Facebook (now with 425 members) to advocate for the Halifax history museum. In November, more than 30 people met face-to-face. "We're very preliminary," Sloane says of her group. Having a committed core of volunteers is essential, she says. "We have to get people excited about it first."

Sloane is excited by the museum's potential for "social interaction"---being around other people. Through changing programming and events, she believes a local history museum will become a gathering point, a popular exchange.

According to Oostveen, physical and digital worlds have to work together. Researchers, buffs and the bored at work have learned that "we exist," thanks to her social media marketing. There have been numerous occasions when an online discussion has led to a visit to the red-brick archive building at Robie and South. Archives and museums differ this way. "People come in by themselves to an archives," Oostveen says.

"We're a product of the people who came before us, and the decisions they made, both on a personal level and the city of Halifax, the province of Nova Scotia." People are, of course, free to agree to disagree with the decisions, she continues. "What would be cool is if people took more ownership of local history."

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 8:49 PM

Judging a library by its cover
We polled librarians, library science students and experts, travellers and book lovers to build our own vision of the modern library.
by Sue Carter Flinn

Our cover illustration by Jesse Jacobs may look like it bounced off the set of V, but really, it represents the library of the not-so-distant future. We polled librarians, library science students and experts, travellers and book lovers to build our own vision of the modern library.

Fear not, bibliophiles, books aren't going anywhere. Though the collection may recede to allow for more natural light and windows, and, as a trend, shelf heights are lowering to a more human level, don't expect us to turn the page on physical books. In fact, new libraries are being built with more comfortable and inviting reading areas.

Halifax Public Libraries already offers media downloads like iPod-compatible audio books, e-books and videos. The expanded Woodlawn Public Library, set to reopen this spring in the old Empire Theatres space on Portland Street, will feature a large-screen TV and interactive media, like Wii. But perhaps the most inventive new media award goes to Malmö, Sweden's Living Library, where you can check out human beings from all different backgrounds for a 45-minute chat, in hopes of promoting tolerance, education and empathy.

Central libraries like Sydney, Australia, use self-check systems and RFID barcode technology, which means that books can be automatically sorted and returned anywhere in the city. Look for two new self-check stations at Woodlawn (joining those at several other branches).

Thanks to those self-check-out systems and portable scanners, librarians are no longer trapped behind those old-school defensive desks---they're free to walk around to answer questions. At the Public Library Amsterdam, staff sit beside, not across from, library users. And don't forget to say an online hello to your cybrarian.

When HPL did their central library surveys last year, Haligonians rated "cafe/meeting space" higher than kid's programming. We want places to relax and hang out. Most new museums have, at a minimum, a cafe, some even have outdoor reading gardens. Last year, the Toronto Public Library had its busiest year to date, in part because of a new cultural salon in the downtown reference library and a new museum/gallery pass, which anyone with a Toronto library card can borrow to get into 10 museums for free.

No longer considered a frill, there is a strong international movement campaigning for environmentally sound libraries. One of the best is the gorgeous modern Minneapolis Central Library, built in 2005, which has three green roofs that retain storm water runoff. At a minimum, expect the new Halifax Central Library to be Silver LEED certified, and to potentially share heating systems with the nearby Dalhousie Architecture and Planning building and the Halifax Infirmary.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 8:50 PM

Space case: a new theatre for Halifax?
While better seating, study spaces and a cafe appear to have a place in the new Halifax Central Library, the fate of a performance venue is still undecided.
by Holly Gordon

When Judith Hare talks about what the new central library can bring to Halifax, the list of possibilities could lap the current Spring Garden location 10 times over.The Halifax Public Libraries CEO has been with us since 1996, and she knows what the public wants: new amenities that aren't being offered downtown by the current library system.

"The library is increasingly becoming more like the town centre," says Hare. "We're about linking people, and introducing people to a lot of different ideas, and this space is a really crucial piece of doing that."

Halifax Public Libraries held public consultations in the form of meetings, surveys and focus groups, and found that there is a need for comfortable seating areas, individual study space, group study space, a cafe and a performance venue.

The Spring Garden Road-Queen Street Area Joint Public Lands Plan dictates that the new library has to include 7,000 square feet of retail, but since the library's still in the planning stages nothing has been detailed.

While better seating, study spaces and a cafe seem to have a home in the new plan, the idea of a performance space is just that---an idea. Hare and Susan McLean, HPL's director of public services, have met with organizations to get a feel for what Halifax's performing arts community needs as a venue, but so far it's just been a collection of hopes.

"We have to look at what [the library's] needs are, and do they fit with what a professional group might need," says McLean. Hare adds that the performance space would serve primarily as an auditorium for the library, as HPL can't host anything downtown of significant size. The plan is to see if it's possible to build inclusions for dance and theatre groups, with a 200- to 250-seat theatre.

"We don't see the library as being a totally fitted-out professional stage with back-of-house and all those kinds of facilities, but for the small performances," says Hare.

That's not the impression Paul Caskey, artistic director of Live Art Dance Productions, got from his meeting with Hare before Christmas, though. Caskey says he realizes it was simply a consultation, but he was unaware they didn't want to include professional details.

"What I fear is that we get a space that only half serves the professional arts needs," says Caskey. "Things like the Bella Rose and the new Citadel High School auditorium---the newest 'theatres,' I'll say in quotation marks, in our city, I mean they don't have any of the stuff that professional theatres require, i.e. change rooms, backstage space.

"If they go halfway, then I think they do themselves an injustice, and they do the community an injustice," says Caskey. "It really depends on what their objectives are. If it is to make a theatre, then make a theatre---make a good one."

Hare and McLean say they realize they can't meet everyone's needs, as the budget limits what can be done with the space. They're ready to make their architect recommendation to the city, and that council meeting is tentatively scheduled for March 9. Hare promises another round of public consultation---another chance to say what you think are library frills, and what are necessities.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 8:53 PM

And finally the Coast also has a slide show of all the shortlisted firms that can be found here.
http://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/slide...nt?oid=1549186

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Despite what Peninsula residents think Spring Garden Road is not easily accessible to all HRM residents. Convenient locations lie on highways not jam packed streets.
Why should an urban library be geared towards suburbanites? Sure a rink along the highway might best suit someone in Bedford but I'm confident a site at SGR would be more successful than one along the 102. I no longer drive -- there's no daily need to here, and I can only think of one of my peninsular peers aged 18-28 that drives (he has access to his parent's car). Spring Garden Road, near services, schools, and bus routes, is as convenient as it gets for me. I nearly never go out to Bayers Lake or Dartmouth Crossing because it's simply too difficult to get to, let alone Hammonds Plains. As one of HRMbyDesign's aims is the worthy goal of repopulating the peninsula as well as improving transit, I think to underfund a new library because onsite parking is scarce would be very shortsighted.

As for the grand design plans for the building, I dunno -- maybe I'm an anomaly, but when I go to a new city I always check out the main library. Immigrants and foreign students will go there for internet and other things like language resources. The library/park/market in Boulder, and how well it was used, left me with a great impression of the city. I think it's very important that we have a well-designed building with plenty for everyone, and the location is great in terms of being set to draw people in on a whim- people that might not go to the library otherwise. Actually, the Boulder library had a little cafe too and it was neat but I agree it might be a little redundant in our case.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Why should an urban library be geared towards suburbanites? Sure a rink along the highway might best suit someone in Bedford but I'm confident a site at SGR would be more successful than one along the 102. I no longer drive -- there's no daily need to here, and I can only think of one of my peninsular peers aged 18-28 that drives (he has access to his parent's car). Spring Garden Road, near services, schools, and bus routes, is as convenient as it gets for me. I nearly never go out to Bayers Lake or Dartmouth Crossing because it's simply too difficult to get to, let alone Hammonds Plains. As one of HRMbyDesign's aims is the worthy goal of repopulating the peninsula as well as improving transit, I think to underfund a new library because onsite parking is scarce would be very shortsighted.

As for the grand design plans for the building, I dunno -- maybe I'm an anomaly, but when I go to a new city I always check out the main library. Immigrants and foreign students will go there for internet and other things like language resources. The library/park/market in Boulder, and how well it was used, left me with a great impression of the city. I think it's very important that we have a well-designed building with plenty for everyone, and the location is great in terms of being set to draw people in on a whim- people that might not go to the library otherwise. Actually, the Boulder library had a little cafe too and it was neat but I agree it might be a little redundant in our case.
What I said was in response to somebody's statement that the central library would be convenient for all HRM residents which is not true. If it is meant for all residents it would be located on a highway with good bus access which it is not. The 4-pad is aimed to serve a large area while the library is aimed solely at Peninsula residents which is a good point that the 4-pad will have a more positive influence on the region.

If the city wanted to make more library amenities available for all of HRM they would spend less on Central Library and invest more in improving other conveniently located libraries in the suburbs to meet their areas needs (for example Alderney Library, Keshman-Goodman, and Sackville would be upgraded to have meeting spaces, a large collection, and whatever else the area needs). Of course a Central Library is important but not at the cost the municipality is stating right now. At the current price I wouldn't be surprised to see a gold-plated statue of Peter Kelly outside.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth