HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 7:48 PM

Looking for occupant density data

I'm trying to estimate the density of people in high rise commercial buildings (square feet per person) on an average work day.

Does anyone know where I can find statistics on occupancy in high-rise commercial? In particular, 1) what do building codes require in terms of square feet per person in high rise buildings, 2) a list of maximum occupancy of some high rise buildings, 3) the actual daily occupancy of some buildings, 4) the average size of floors (square feet).

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 3:35 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshay View Post
I'm trying to estimate the density of people in high rise commercial buildings (square feet per person) on an average work day.

Does anyone know where I can find statistics on occupancy in high-rise commercial? In particular, 1) what do building codes require in terms of square feet per person in high rise buildings, 2) a list of maximum occupancy of some high rise buildings, 3) the actual daily occupancy of some buildings, 4) the average size of floors (square feet).
Was looking for this data myself when I came across this thread. If anyone has some information on this to share please feel free!

*Bump*
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 6:45 AM
Khurram Parvaz

^ Page 51 onward has some interesting data regarding the capacity of different building types (including commercial) and their occupancy rates.

NREL.GOV

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 6:47 AM
Khurram Parvaz

This article below gives the average office density of a building (150-200 sq ft/person)

DI.NET

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 3:57 PM
Never Dell

A couple decades ago the baseline assumption was 250 sf per office worker, as a very round number. Now it's 200 sf, with some pushing below that, for example in some tech-focused "collaborative" spaces. Some uses like call centers will often get to the 120 range or even lower. Headquarters ivy towers can get higher due to larger offices for bigwigs and a general prevalance of meeting/showy space.

Offices can be smaller now because of the open office concept, flatscreens that allow shallower desks, reduced use of filing cabinets and shelves, and so on.

Those numbers are per desk. "Per person onsite" can be different as many people aren't in the office on a given day/time, and there's also a growing movement of people sharing workspaces or having rolling carts with their stuff that they can plug into any open station. Then factor in vacations, trips, etc. (I work for a construction company, and sometimes over half the desks are people off at project sites, at meetings, on vacation, etc.)

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 4:20 PM
All-American City Boy

Thanks for the input everyone!
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture