HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 5:13 PM

The whole I-85 corridor in the Atlanta-Greenville/Spartanburg-Charlotte area is growing very fast. I wouldn't be suprised to see this area become one large megalopolis in the next several decades, similiar to the one in the northeast in and around Washington D.C.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNation View Post
I loathe the hot weather. That week I spent in Houston during August 2000 was the most miserable summer weather I ever experienced. I'd rather deal with the snow.
Ah yes, comparing a week in Houston with an entire season in the North.

I love living in Boston. I would miss the change of seasons if I ever moved back to Houston but I would take the Houston weather hands down over Boston.

For example, we had wet snow yesterday in Boston. Today I woke up to sub freezing temps and a steady wind. NOTHING is in bloom much less even budding. It's April and the city is dirty. The streets are littered with salt from the roads, pet-friendly de-icing goo from the stoops, dog crap from lazy pet owners who seemingly think cleaning up after their dog doesn't apply in the winter months, trash blowing in the wind, and pretty much all plant life is still 100% dead.

I just got back from Houston. It was sunny and 75 when I left. The azeleas were in full bloom and the city was alive. I played tennis at Memorial Park, walked with my sister through Hermann Park with her dogs, and ate numerous times at outdoor venues.

In Boston, we have to wait until May for Spring to come and sometimes it takes until June to really warm up. It is depressing and it does make it hard to get through the cold season (which is much longer than just winter).

Now, as for staying cool in Houston; buy a house in the city with a private pool. I could sell my small condo here in Boston and buy a house in Houston near Montrose (totally walkable) with a small pool and still put over HALF of the money gained from the sale in Boston into a savings account.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 5:30 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
I think it's pretty amazing, and scary, that LA-Santa Anta-Riverside, a "metro" of 15 million, grew by about 1.3 million. That's over 8%. Pretty crazy for a metro of its size.
yup, I wonder if Census officials even acknowledge the weirdness of Riverside, CA being counted by itself apart from the hand that feeds it. But admittedly, 1.3 Million get swallowed up in LAs huge mass like a gold fish in the ocean.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 5:55 PM
Trendy.

Hmm, all I can really say now is complex, complex, somebody's got a complex!

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
Ah yes, comparing a week in Houston with an entire season in the North.

I love living in Boston. I would miss the change of seasons if I ever moved back to Houston but I would take the Houston weather hands down over Boston.

For example, we had wet snow yesterday in Boston. Today I woke up to sub freezing temps and a steady wind. NOTHING is in bloom much less even budding. It's April and the city is dirty. The streets are littered with salt from the roads, pet-friendly de-icing goo from the stoops, dog crap from lazy pet owners who seemingly think cleaning up after their dog doesn't apply in the winter months, trash blowing in the wind, and pretty much all plant life is still 100% dead.

I just got back from Houston. It was sunny and 75 when I left. The azeleas were in full bloom and the city was alive. I played tennis at Memorial Park, walked with my sister through Hermann Park with her dogs, and ate numerous times at outdoor venues.

In Boston, we have to wait until May for Spring to come and sometimes it takes until June to really warm up. It is depressing and it does make it hard to get through the cold season (which is much longer than just winter).

Now, as for staying cool in Houston; buy a house in the city with a private pool. I could sell my small condo here in Boston and buy a house in Houston near Montrose (totally walkable) with a small pool and still put over HALF of the money gained from the sale in Boston into a savings account.
If you would be trying to save money, and you sold your condo in Boston, why wouldnt you move to any a number of sunbelt cities that are cheaper then houston if the weather is important to you. I dont see houston offering anymore then memphis, charlotte, nashville. Then you could put even more then half of your money into a savings account!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis McGahee View Post
agreed

Last edited by brickell; Apr 6, 2007 at 7:32 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule F View Post
If you would be trying to save money, and you sold your condo in Boston, why wouldnt you move to any a number of sunbelt cities that are cheaper then houston if the weather is important to you. I dont see houston offering anymore then memphis, charlotte, nashville. Then you could put even more then half of your money into a savings account!
I think some people might think of cities like Atlanta and Houston as representing a good balance. They are large metropolitan areas with lots of jobs and job hopping opportunities (in contrast with say Memphis or Nashville), and enough dining, arts and nightlife to satisfy the vast majority of people. But at the same time places like Atlanta and Houston are much cheaper than NY, SF, LA, DC, etc. In a sense, many people do (based on their own preferences) get more bang for their buck in the large sunbelt metros. Actually I wouldn't prefer to live in Houston or in the "New South", but I can certainly undertand why lots of people view it as a new land of opportunity. A warm climate is just icing on the cake.

Last edited by bricky; Apr 6, 2007 at 7:41 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
p.s. once the sunbelt matures, which I believe will come soon, our country is
settled. NO MORE PEOPLE!!!! We need a few open spaces left.
Hmmm...I don't think rational proposals to limit America's uncontrolled immigration is allowed on this website.[/QUOTE]

Amen!!! China x 10.... coming soon.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 8:13 PM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
Don't tell me this...I'm flying there on Thursday and have promised the GF real spring!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Don't tell me this...I'm flying there on Thursday and have promised the GF real spring!
You're out of luck.

I adore Boston. I can walk from my house to work. Tonight, I am walking to dinner and then to see the play "Fat Pig." I'll then walk home. Unfortunately, I will have to bundle up because it's still COLD.

It is currently 37 degrees. With the wind (17 mph out of the West) it feels like 27. The wind chill will hit the teens tonight in the city and colder out in the burbs.

To me, that is too damn cold for April. I have yet to see a single tree that is showing life. Spring arrives very late here in New England. The reality in Boston is that most foliage is gone by early November and it doesn't return until early to mid May. 6 months with nothing but brown (the occasional snowfall adds some beauty but it only takes about 3-4 hours for it to turn into an ugly mess in the city) is truly hard to take.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule F View Post
I truly like Memphis and Nashville. I've been to both cities many times and think they are fun places. I have never been to Charlotte so I cannot comment on the Queen City.

I was going to laundry list all of the reasons why Houston offers more than those 3 cities though but decided it wouldn't be worth the nominal effort to list all of the things that a metro region of 5 million plus can offer compared to ones less than half the size.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 9:22 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis McGahee View Post
I don't like the fact that the negatives of the cities up here are the first thing people think of....especially if they don't live here. We do have our problems....but it's not hell on earth up here. Buffalo can't be that bad...but you sure as hell don't waste any opportunity to bash it whenever you can. Look at your screen name and your signature...it's totally uncalled for and I don't think you are just joking either. I'm not from Buffalo but I'm really tired of reading your bashing of that city probably as much as you are tired of me pointing out the flaws of the SunBelt in response to you. Gee...I wonder why we might get a complex when our cities are constantly bashed?

Again....SunBelt cities get free passes when it comes to their negatives...and they do have some...you may not want to admit them...but they exist. Rust Belt and certain Northeast Corridor cities have no wiggle room....when something bad happens...it is expected and the good things about living there are discounted or ignored. For example...Philadelphia's CBD is growing in population and the number of restaurants and retail stores that have opened over the past 10 years ...the building boom is still going....yet I bet more people know about the problem with the thugs killing each other that happen mostly certain parts of the city and driving up the murder rate. I'm sure people think the whole city is dangerous and should be avoided if they don't live here but hear that news. Heck...the most current threads in City Discussions about Philly are both negative.

If that happened in Atlanta today...I bet we would still hear more about the tremendous population and job growth and the positives of living in the Atlanta Metro Area. Didn't the Atlanta Olympics get marred by that bombing? Did it hurt the city's reputation in the ensuing years? If that happened in Philly/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo...we may as well turn off the lights and board up everything that already isn't because that would doom each one forever no matter what good came out of hosting a successful event.

So...please forgive me when I get annoyed, when I feel towns and cities up here get an unfair shake...and get bashed or dismissed for no good or silly reasons. When that is all you hear....it's easy to get a "complex".

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 10:26 PM
Trendy.

You know Buffalo's bad when gays from Cleveland bash it. I'll let MayDay add his thoughts if he wishes

As for Philadelphia, I've never said anything but good things about it. I love the city, and the forumers who I have met there know it. That's all I have to say on that matter.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricky View Post
I think some people might think of cities like Atlanta and Houston as representing a good balance. They are large metropolitan areas with lots of jobs and job hopping opportunities (in contrast with say Memphis or Nashville), and enough dining, arts and nightlife to satisfy the vast majority of people. But at the same time places like Atlanta and Houston are much cheaper than NY, SF, LA, DC, etc. In a sense, many people do (based on their own preferences) get more bang for their buck in the large sunbelt metros. Actually I wouldn't prefer to live in Houston or in the "New South", but I can certainly undertand why lots of people view it as a new land of opportunity. A warm climate is just icing on the cake.
You hit the nail on the head. Climate is just the icing on the cake and not the leading factor for growth in the South.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 10:36 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Apologies for not remembering off-hand but someone a few posts back had mentioned how migration patterns of people in the U.S. tend to gravitate towards where there is openess, cheaper land/housing (relative to more established areas), etc, etc., and I agree and think that a lot of these figues that started this thread are indicative of greater movement towards the South/Southwest, but I find it interesting how weather affects so much of what motivates people, especially considering all of the strong reactions and opinions as indicated in here so far. What's more interesting is how in an article I was reading in the NYTimes today regarding all of the current brew-ha-ha about global warming, there was a portion of the article which talked about the potential of global warming repercussions(sp.?) creating a new dust-bowl in the Southwest because of lack of precipitation, the drying-up of the Colorado river because of this and what the consequences would be for places like Phoenix and Las Vegas which are right in the middle of an already dry area. I try to wonder what migration patterns will be like if/when that happens in 20-30 years (per the articles assessment), how people would be affected by something as potentially disasterous as what the article suggested.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
yup, I wonder if Census officials even acknowledge the weirdness of Riverside, CA being counted by itself apart from the hand that feeds it. But admittedly, 1.3 Million get swallowed up in LAs huge mass like a gold fish in the ocean.
Exactly when and what reason did the census decide to cut of the Inland Empire from LA?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 10:57 PM

nevermind.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 10:58 PM
Red October standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNation View Post
I don't like the fact that the negatives of the cities up here are the first thing people think of....especially if they don't live here. We do have our problems....but it's not hell on earth up here. Buffalo can't be that bad...but you sure as hell don't waste any opportunity to bash it whenever you can. Look at your screen name and your signature...it's totally uncalled for and I don't think you are just joking either. I'm not from Buffalo but I'm really tired of reading your bashing of that city probably as much as you are tired of me pointing out the flaws of the SunBelt in response to you. Gee...I wonder why we might get a complex when our cities are constantly bashed?

Again....SunBelt cities get free passes when it comes to their negatives...and they do have some...you may not want to admit them...but they exist. Rust Belt and certain Northeast Corridor cities have no wiggle room....when something bad happens...it is expected and the good things about living there are discounted or ignored. For example...Philadelphia's CBD is growing in population and the number of restaurants and retail stores that have opened over the past 10 years ...the building boom is still going....yet I bet more people know about the problem with the thugs killing each other that happen mostly certain parts of the city and driving up the murder rate. I'm sure people think the whole city is dangerous and should be avoided if they don't live here but hear that news. Heck...the most current threads in City Discussions about Philly are both negative.

If that happened in Atlanta today...I bet we would still hear more about the tremendous population and job growth and the positives of living in the Atlanta Metro Area. Didn't the Atlanta Olympics get marred by that bombing? Did it hurt the city's reputation in the ensuing years? If that happened in Philly/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo...we may as well turn off the lights and board up everything that already isn't because that would doom each one forever no matter what good came out of hosting a successful event.

So...please forgive me when I get annoyed, when I feel towns and cities up here get an unfair shake...and get bashed or dismissed for no good or silly reasons. When that is all you hear....it's easy to get a "complex".
please, sunbelt cities don't get free passes. everyone complains about the traffic at some point. people complain about the crime, and the homeless, and "Balkanized" regional governments, overly conservative locals, racist locals...pretty typical complaints.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Apr 7, 2007, 12:33 AM

Just for a bit more info on Silver Spring, MD since it appears to be getting kind of a bad rap on here. Silver Spring really is booming, and I wouldnt classify any parts of Silver Spring as slum like. There are definatly some sections of town that are not as spruced up as downtown Silver Spring, but its neighborhoods are functioning with grocery stores and all sorts of other service retail. Also many of the households are more crowded than in wealthier suburbs, but these are families struggling to create the middle class lifestyle available in Silver Spring. Silver Spring really is an interesting mix of races and classes.

http://www.silverspringscene.com/blog/
This blog has alot of interesting info on developments in silver spring, and maybe when I get from school for the summer I will post some pictures of downtown.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2007, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratosphere 2020 View Post
You hit the nail on the head. Climate is just the icing on the cake and not the leading factor for growth in the South.

Yet, it is interesting that NY, Chi, and DC were the only cities in the northern part of the country that made the top ten, much of which could be attributed to births. And lets face it, DC would barely be considered "northern." Clearly, climate has much to do with it.

Now, the cities with intense growth all have very good professional job opportunities, and have become accomplished cities in their own right. You don't see any "sunbelt" cities from Mississippi on the list.

I think it's time to quit talking about the abhorrent sprawl in Dallas, Atlanta, and Houston, and finally admit that what has happened in these cities is quite an accomplishment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States